It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:23 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next
 Post subject: The CFMB Bowling Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
As we've gone on ignoring the whole Martin hazing thing and completely turned that thread into the bowling thread, I thought, why not start one.

We have some different bowlers of all skill level, MOFO, Chus, myself, doug, Dr Ken, Panther, JORR, Darko...and anyone else I'm forgetting, and it's always good to bounce info off of other bowlers.

So, yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:11 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I think I'm going to get a new ball. I'm in year 2 of coming off my 25-year hiatus. I'm over 200 in half/quarter of my games and in the 160/170s in the other half for the most part.

My problem is I'm not getting any late break in my ball. I had been getting it and scoring well but now it's like I'm throwing it through the break and not hitting the pocket. I don't like taking too much off it because I lose accuracy. I'd like to be able to throw it with my actual motion and get more break.

What kind of league do you bowl in? Competitive/casual? Your skill level?

If you throw a moderate hook, I suggest looking into the Storm products. The Hy Road Pearl is a good option for a middle of the road ball that will last you some time.

If you want to buy online, on bowlingball.com, I suggest the Storm Fire Road...similar to the Hy Road Pearl, but recently discontinued. Very good ball, and it's a great deal. One of my buddies on my Tuesday league and my wife both throw that one, and really like it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:13 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Casual league. But, I want to get pretty good because I'm stupid competitive.

I'm using a Tropical Breeze currently that my Pro Shop guy set me up with. I was looking at the Reign of Power which seemed like it might be what I was looking for. I watched the promotional video and the guy got a strike every single time. Like 50 throws in a row. So, it must be pretty good.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:17 pm 

My wife likes her Tropical Breeze as well. Good option to start back into bowling. You sound like you need the next step up. As I suggested to Panther last night, keep an eye on the different coaching videos on YouTube. They offer really good tips to help you learn to adjust. If you're in the 200's and dropping off from there, it sounds like you need to start adjusting where you stand in relation to the mark you throw.

Rule of thumb, if the ball is hitting the pocket, and then starts coming through the head pin, move with the direction of the ball, so if you're right handed, you want to move left to get back to the pocket one board at a time.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:25 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
I'm going to do a little "Brag About" in this thread. But, I got back into bowling to get my kids into it. My youngest (I point it out to give context to the story) has Autism but doesn't have any kind of sport that he was into. So, we got him started with me there helping him with his arm motion to help him. But his focus was "lacking" on what he was supposed to be doing. Lots of balls immediately in the gutter and getting the workers to push the ball down the lanes that didn't get all the way down. That gets a little stressful.

Long story short, after about 4 weeks of me helping him, now he's on to what needs to happen. He's hitting pins 5 or 6 times a game (with no help from me) which is in line with other kids his age. Got a 35 and Papa Ken was proud last week.

Indulgent post over.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:31 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I'm going to do a little "Brag About" in this thread. But, I got back into bowling to get my kids into it. My youngest (I point it out to give context to the story) has Autism but doesn't have any kind of sport that he was into. So, we got him started with me there helping him with his arm motion to help him. But his focus was "lacking" on what he was supposed to be doing. Lots of balls immediately in the gutter and getting the workers to push the ball down the lanes that didn't get all the way down. That gets a little stressful.

Long story short, after about 4 weeks of me helping him, now he's on to what needs to happen. He's hitting pins 5 or 6 times a game (with no help from me) which is in line with other kids his age. Got a 35 and Papa Ken was proud last week.

Indulgent post over.

Nice.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Haven't been bowling in years but a late 70s early 80s rogue could often be found on the weekends watching the PBA Tour on ABC with Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton cheering on Marshall Holman and hating that douche Mark Roth . :D

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Langel's
Don Tiny wrote:

Good griefy! I almost forgot that there was an Atari Bowling. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Original Kid Cairo wrote:
I once jerked in a chicken truck, so I have that going for me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:02 pm 

I went on a bowling date once, and she beat me, and for reasons having nothing to do with bowling we didn't really hit it off besides friendship.

I ended up dating her best friend a few weeks later. We didn't go bowling.

That sounds like a JORR story if they weren't interesting or amusing at all.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:14 pm 

Indulgent post over.

Awesome!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:15 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Haven't been bowling in years but a late 70s early 80s rogue could often be found on the weekends watching the PBA Tour on ABC with Chris Schenkel and Bo Burton cheering on Marshall Holman and hating that douche Mark Roth . :D

:oops:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?

Indulgent post over.

now back to the other 24,000 and counting :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:50 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Roth fan, Hawger?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's

I'm using a Tropical Breeze currently that my Pro Shop guy set me up with. I was looking at the Reign of Power which seemed like it might be what I was looking for. I watched the promotional video and the guy got a strike every single time. Like 50 throws in a row. So, it must be pretty good.

Never met anyone who had a Bowling pro shop guy!

Here was my bowling pro shop guy back in the day!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vyxr-i1JyA

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:01 pm 

Chus wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Vyxr-i1JyA

:thumleft: :thumright: Poor Del

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:06 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Roth fan, Hawger?

Yeah, I remember him but it is more that I am old enough to remember that too. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:08 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Roth fan, Hawger?

Yeah, I remember him but it is more that I am old enough to remember that too. :lol:

Well lets face it, pre cable there wasn't shit else on to watch.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:11 pm 

JORR, Dr. Ken and Reader are only other posters on this board that can appreciate our conversation.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:48 pm 

bigfan wrote:

Never met anyone who had a Bowling pro shop guy!

Here was my bowling pro shop guy back in the day!

My lanes are carpeted.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
City of Fools wrote:

Indulgent post over.

now back to the other 24,000 and counting :eye:

edit, that was supposed to be wink.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:26 am 

:thumleft:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:45 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
bowled like shit tonight, but it was all because of that fucking Storm Sync bowling ball - worst piece of shit ball i ever bought. fuck bowling.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Admin

man of few opinions wrote:
bowled like shit tonight, but it was all because of that fucking Storm Sync bowling ball - worst piece of shit ball i ever bought. fuck bowling.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:54 am 
Site Admin

Hawg Ass wrote:
JORR, Dr. Ken and Reader are only other posters on this board that can appreciate our conversation.

Does anyone here remember "Whispering" Joe Wilson?

http://bowlinghistory.wordpress.com/201 ... lson-1957/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:17 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Bowling on TV will always hold a special place for me. My mom and I used to watch on Saturdays. It was probably the only sport she did watch. She would root against Earl Anthony because he seemed to win every week. It was great back then with guys like Anthony,Holman & Roth.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:21 am 
Site Admin

When I was a kid bowling at Gabby Hartnett they gave you your pop in a collector's cup with a picture of a pro bowler on it and some of his stats. I remember the Johnny Petraglia cup said that he had shot an 811 series. At that time that was a number I couldn't even fathom. Johnny Petraglia was my guy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I really would like to try to get into bowling this winter. I used to bowl a lot with my buddies. Since my
divorce I really don't have any people to bowl with so maybe I need to look into leagues. I roll a straight
ball and should probably work on that first. I have a 15 pound and a 12 pound ball, both taken from a
few different alleys over the years. I'm not proud of that fact and plan to return the balls when I buy
my own.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
When I was a kid bowling at Gabby Hartnett they gave you your pop in a collector's cup with a picture of a pro bowler on it and some of his stats. I remember the Johnny Petraglia cup said that he had shot an 811 series. At that time that was a number I couldn't even fathom. Johnny Petraglia was my guy.

my old man was a big johnny petraglia fan too - i remember when he was able to bowl with him at a pro-am once, that was pretty exciting. i have always pulled for the lefties as well starting with petraglia, earl anthony and later parker bohn III. saturday afternoon bowling telecasts were a staple at our house, our whole family was into bowling. i look back fondly on those days. i will watch every now and again on ESPN, but it isnt the same. i dont care for a lot of the current great pro bowlers acting like buffoons for the cameras like pete weber, sean rash and some of the others.

if you go on youtube and search for bo burtons tip of the day, a lot of the stuff he said 30-40 years ago still holds up, and they were very good tips for spare shooting in a brief, easy-to-understand format.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15  Next