It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:02 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
i tend to throw across the lanes...like 9 boards right for a 7 pin, 9 boards left for the 10. seems to work alright.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Q.Bovifs wrote:
I am sure you know this, but for other newbs, my guru instructor guy told me when trying to throw straight as in throwing for spares, to point your thumb at your target arrow (usually a bit to the right to compensate for a bit of break that will come) and then let the thumb lead the ball forward toward the release like a truck towing a boat.

I am a believer in the 3-6-9 approach. By this logic, throwing your normal shot (hook and mark), you should be able to move progressively right for your left side spares, and left for your right side spares. The only shot I don't prescribe to this approach with (because I'm right handed) is the 10 pin. For that, I find myself standing even with the left gutter and throwing my normal release right around board 18 or so, which usually catches enough oil to slide right into the pin (with an average condition). When it's dry, I'll adjust my release.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:34 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yup. Like Doug and Boyd, for spares other than 10 pins, I would throw my normal shot just change my approach and target. This would only vary if I had a split and was trying to throw the ball as hard as I could in hopes that it would bounce back and take out the other pin(s).

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i agree with all that and understand it - i just think i could benefit from a ball with a little more skid than i am capable of throwing with my current ball. i throw a full-roller over the thumb hole, but the ball breaks into a roll early causing the ball to break just a little bit. it is the straightest ball i currently own, but i can see others in my league stroking those plastic balls right across the lane with barely any roll at all. that is kind of what i am looking for. id say currently im probably a 70-75% success rate with the 7 doing what i am doing, but it feels too much like a tightrope walk each time. i just cant consistently throw a 16 lb ball 18-20 mph accurately to straighten it out the way id like.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:35 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
i agree with all that and understand it - i just think i could benefit from a ball with a little more skid than i am capable of throwing with my current ball. i throw a full-roller over the thumb hole, but the ball breaks into a roll early causing the ball to break just a little bit. it is the straightest ball i currently own, but i can see others in my league stroking those plastic balls right across the lane with barely any roll at all. that is kind of what i am looking for. id say currently im probably a 70-75% success rate with the 7 doing what i am doing, but it feels too much like a tightrope walk each time. i just cant consistently throw a 16 lb ball 18-20 mph accurately to straighten it out the way id like.

If it were me, buying the plastic ball, I wouldn't drop below a 15 because of the effect the lighter ball will have. By rationale, you should be able to go with the 16 pound plastic ball, and it will just skid straight to the pin, anyway...speed notwithstanding...unless you're on extremely dry lanes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I stopped Bowling on a weekly basis, due to time conflicts with the leagues I was in and I'm only Bowling in a once a month Saturday night league now. I always thought that Bowling more often was necessary to bowl reasonably well. But i had a 607 series last month and my average in this league is almost the same as it was when I was bowling in 2 weekly leagues. I look forward to it more now as well, as I kinda felt like I was Bowling out of obligation, more than looking forward to it far too often, when I was bowling twice a week. Now, I'm really looking forward to each time out. I will probably go back to bowling in a weekly league at some point when my schedule isn't so busy. But for now,less is more.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:29 am 
100000 CLUB

Or you stopped because you sucked.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Sausage
279 230 234 = 743 last night.

279 game was all strikes except the 9th frame. Pocket 10 pin. Oh well

1 open frame all night on a 7-10 split

This was my 2nd highest series ever.

This season has continued to be up and down for me. Still struggling some weeks with mid 500 series'

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:30 pm 

bosco wrote:
279 230 234 = 743 last night.

279 game was all strikes except the 9th frame. Pocket 10 pin. Oh well

1 open frame all night on a 7-10 split

This was my 2nd highest series ever.

This season has continued to be up and down for me. Still struggling some weeks with mid 500 series'

Well done.

This has been a bad week for me...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:21 pm 

nice job bosco - good series! this week i went 177-197-285 - 659. i was really struggling and started game 3 with a 7-pin that i converted, then buried 10 in a row. on my last ball i pulled it right through the nose for a terrible 5 count, but i salvaged an otherwise lousy week of bowling.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 12:30 pm 

A very nice finish. Great game!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:50 pm 

man, if i had all that shit running through my head when i delivered a throw my head would explode. i stand on the approach, choose my starting point, choose my target, and throw. almost every ball i throw the same exact way, same speed, only changing my starting point and target. i throw my "strike shot" on every spare except the 7 pin. on that pin i go with a different ball, without the crank and slightly more speed.

all that said i sucked last night, i could actually hear my average dropping as i bowled. 174 - 225 - 164 - 563

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
I have been struggling this season for a variety of reasons. Averages are down about ten pins across the league, since they changed up the oil patterns, but I just haven't been on. Mainly, my issues have been: 1) Not bowling every week. 2) My head not being in it for the first half, because of some issues with my son. 3) A seven year old ball that wasn't finishing.

Picked up the Storm Sync, and I am loving it. I am still learning how to make adjustments when the lanes break, and shooting spares has been an adventure. Last night, I shot 211-193-193--597. I missed six easy spares. 3 ten pins, a 4 pin, and I chopped a 6-10, and a 3-6-10. I did pick up a 4-10 split last night, so there's that.

The last game was pretty wild. First and second frame, solid ten pin and missed it. Third frame was the split conversion. Fourth frame, I covered a 7 pin. 5th frame was a 4-pin, which I missed. I was bowling with the guy who runs the pro shop. I have never met anybody who knows more about bowling than this guy. I'm sitting at 65 through five frames. He tells me to move my feet three boards to the right, and shoot for the same mark, but to come around the ball a bit. Sixth frame, I left a solid ten pin, which I covered. I buried the next four shots. 11th frame, a solid ten pin, which I missed. 65 to 193 in five frames.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Chus wrote:
A seven year old ball that wasn't finishing.

I don't think seven year old balls have developed the ability yet.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:33 pm 

Been a rough start to the year...hovering around 190 on Tuesdays with the whole house struggling. Hoping to turn it around and getting some consistency before I bowl the USBC Lake County singles and doubles on Saturday.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:09 pm 

i've been throwing a lot better the last 3 weeks. last week i threw a 666 and only left 1 multi-pin spare, a 6-10. everything else was strikes, 7-pins and the occasionally 6-pin on a high hit. up to 204 as we enter the home stretch here, id love to get a couple more pins before we are done.

Q, how is your sync treating you?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:55 pm 

so every 10 games you are doing the hot water treatment to that ball? holy shit. i have had mine for almost a year and havent done a damn thing to mine and it still hits like a truck. im not going to fuck with it now, thats for sure. im loving me some Storm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:29 pm 

so every 10 games you are doing the hot water treatment to that ball? holy shit. i have had mine for almost a year and havent done a damn thing to mine and it still hits like a truck. im not going to fuck with it now, thats for sure. im loving me some Storm.

This...I just need to replace the grips every 75 to 100 games

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:01 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
Been a rough start to the year...hovering around 190 on Tuesdays with the whole house struggling. Hoping to turn it around and getting some consistency before I bowl the USBC Lake County singles and doubles on Saturday.

I have been struggling at my regular house, as well. I think I might be down to 193 after last week. The whole league is down about 10 pins, except for one guy, who is at 236.

I have been subbing at another place, on a different night, and I have been lights out there. 226-235-212--673 last time out. I have covered 13/14 ten pins over the last nine games.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:09 pm 
100000 CLUB

Q.Bovifs wrote:
I am more of a stroker
You don't say? :P

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:28 am 

247-228-215--690 last night

If we were playing 9-pin no tap, I would have shot 278-300-264--842. Only two of my first balls failed to get 9 pins, or more. I left a 6-10, which I covered, and a 2-4-5-8 which was my only open of the night. 5/5 on ten pins (18/19 over my last 12 games).

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:43 am 

nice series chus! we were right in the same zone last night - get a load of this finish though:

i get up in the 10th frame of game 3 needing 2 strikes and 8 to get my 700. i get the first strike, flush. i get the second strike, perfect hit. i get up for the last ball and everyone on my team knew i needed the 8, i hit my mark perfectly but about halfway down i know oh shit, its starting to grab, and the fucker went right through the nose, i left a greek church for a 697. i turn around and my teammates were just laughing and laughing. all i could do was join them, what can i say, i babied it, no sense getting pissed. shit ill take a 697, but i was dealing all night until i needed that one ball. i did pick up a 6-8 and i covered an ugly washout as well earlier in the game, so i have no complaints. plus the team took 2 games and series so it was a good night.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:48 am 

Nice.

The 2-4-5-8 was the only ball that didn't hit the pocket. It's taken some time, but I am getting used to the Sync. I'm gonna do some damage with it.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:09 pm 

Picked up a Storm IQ Fusion 3 weeks ago. The ball is simply out of control. I'm standing 3 boards further to the left than I do with my Ebonite Pursuit. I struggled with it the first 2 weeks, but was able to pull out a 645 last night.

I also picked up a 10 pin ball. Not sure why I waited so long.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:12 pm 

Q.Bovifs wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

This...I just need to replace the grips every 75 to 100 games

If you are a hi-rev player, I would think that you'd rather have the ball saturated and/or polished (vs. dry and sanded to a low grit). I am more of a stroker, and this practice benefits what I am trying to accomplish.

I throw too hard to polish.

744 Sunday...196, 268 (10 pin in 4 and 7 pin in 5, buried 12 balls in the pocket), 278

Getting some new equipment in a summer league similar to last year. Storm Zero Gravity and a Roto Grip UP Roar...looking forward to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:51 pm 

bosco wrote:
Picked up a Storm IQ Fusion 3 weeks ago. The ball is simply out of control. I'm standing 3 boards further to the left than I do with my Ebonite Pursuit. I struggled with it the first 2 weeks, but was able to pull out a 645 last night.

I also picked up a 10 pin ball. Not sure why I waited so long.

I used to switch balls when shooting ten pins, but for me, it's easier to just throw one ball. I can flatten out the Sync, and throw it straight.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:10 am 

season is almost done, in the homestretch. 652 last night in a last push to eek out another pin on the average. the team is in a free-fall though, not going to get rich on prize money this year.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:09 am 

205-237-225--667 last night. Eddie shot 748, and Charlie shot 721.

I had only one open frame, a missed ten pin in the 8th frame of the last game. 4/5 on ten pins.

The team took 25/30 for the second straight week, to get to one game out of first.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:23 am 

257 237 218 = 712. Had the first 6 in the first two games. 2nd game I missed the 10 pin in the 10th for my first open frame if the night.

Won second place in the survivor pot. Haven't placed in a few months so that was nice.

We won the first game by 344 pins :lol: :lol: . That must be a record!

Our team has struggled this season & unfortunately will not be competing for the championship.

Falling in love with my Storm IQ Fusion. Has taken me a while, but I think I have this thing figured out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:12 am 

Last 2 Tuesdays were 668 and 660. Last week had 21 of the first 24 frames for strikes with 3 pocket splits. Just gearing up for the playoffs, but got my Sync sanded down, which has really helped.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 435 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next