It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Biking.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Which would be the worst to be stuck in an elevator with: a vegan, a born-again Christian or an avid biker?

A typical impatient motorist who pushes the button seven times and stands right in front of the door twitching like he has somewhere very important to get to and an extra two seconds in the elevator is going to ruin his life.

I hate waiting for elevators.

Maybe you can hop into a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and drive into the people getting off so you can get on a little quicker.

It really is funny how otherwise rational people become bloodthirsty savages the minute they get behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Which would be the worst to be stuck in an elevator with: a vegan, a born-again Christian or an avid biker?

A typical impatient motorist who pushes the button seven times and stands right in front of the door twitching like he has somewhere very important to get to and an extra two seconds in the elevator is going to ruin his life.

Maybe you can hop into a vehicle with an internal combustion engine and drive into the people getting off so you can get on a little quicker.

It really is funny how otherwise rational people become bloodthirsty savages the minute they get behind the wheel of a motorized vehicle.

No, I just usually take the stairs. I'm not waiting around for an elevator when there's only 2 flights of stairs like some lazy not a care in the world dipshit.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 6:44 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Been hiking a lot lately around Swallow Cliff and have decided to get a mountain bike this year. I see quite a few guys out there in their 40s and 50s still riding.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
DAC wrote:
Been hiking a lot lately around Swallow Cliff and have decided to get a mountain bike this year. I see quite a few guys out there in their 40s and 50s still riding.

Those steps are brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
KDdidit wrote:
DAC wrote:

Those steps are brutal.

So they left the steps there and you bike down?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2023 8:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
If you haven’t been there in a while they added a second set of steps on the other side of the sled hill in the mid 10s.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2023 9:59 am 

KDdidit wrote:
DAC wrote:

Those steps are brutal.

Isn't that the truth? That "Yellow" 8-mile loop is such a great hike. Lots of mature forests, ravines, and elevation changes. Plus, I saw the biggest whitetail buck I've ever seen in person twice back in November. Mammoth set of antlers with tall, thick tines. Easily a 12-pointer and probably a 14+.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2024 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
6:15 am: Still dark and no shoulder. Hate to see this happen but not a good decision by the biker :(

The Patch wrote:
DES PLAINES, IL — A 41-year-old Mount Prospect man was killed Tuesday morning after being struck by a car while riding his bicycle. Police said they're currently looking for any witnesses to the incident.

According to police, the incident occurred at around 6:15 a.m. in the 1900 block of Golf Road. A 2017 Ford F250 truck, being driven by a 40-year-old Des Plaines resident, was traveling eastbound on Golf Road when it struck the bicyclist.

Des Plaines firefighters attempted life-saving measures on the victim at the scene before he was taken to a local hospital, eventually succumbing to his injuries.

Police said the incident remains under investigation and are seeking the public's assistance. Anyone who may have witnessed the crash is encouraged to contact police at 847-391-5400.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:08 am 

Ordered a Ibis Ripley AF that should be arriving today or tomorrow. Looking forward to getting back on the trails around Maple Lake. Used to ride those trails a lot when I was a young pup.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:22 am 

Hit up Maple Lake this past Tuesday for the first ride with my new bike. 2+ hours of hard riding completely wiped me. I've been saying for years that I need to get back into mountain biking and I'm so glad I did. If you have ever given it some thought, I highly recommend it. The trails by Maple Lake are fantastic.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:02 am 

Maple Lake Minnesota?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:28 am 
Site Admin

The other day I was heading south on Orrington and I got to the intersection at Noyes. I saw two Asian girls on motorized scooters heading west on Noyes. They were going pretty fast and I could see they had no intention of stopping. I had already made my stop and I clearly had the right-of-way but they just plowed right through the intersection.

I'm not even sure if they knew how to stop those fucking things. I'm sure these two Northwestern gals are so smart they could split an atom in the bathroom sink at Allison, but they just aren't capable of operating a motorized vehicle properly.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
The other day I was heading south on Orrington and I got to the intersection at Noyes. I saw two Asian girls on motorized scooters heading west on Noyes. They were going pretty fast and I could see they had no intention of stopping. I had already made my stop and I clearly had the right-of-way but they just plowed right through the intersection.

I'm not even sure if they knew how to stop those fucking things. I'm sure these two Northwestern gals are so smart they could split an atom in the bathroom sink at Allison, but they just aren't capable of operating a motorized vehicle properly.

Did you actually stop or simply slow down? A bike rider coming to a complete stop at a 4-way stop in Evanston would be pretty rare in my experience.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Did you actually stop or simply slow down? A bike rider coming to a complete stop at a 4-way stop in Evanston would be pretty rare in my experience.

I probably wouldn't have come to a dead stop if they hadn't been there. But I pretty much always make a complete stop if there is anyone else near the intersection. I can balance on the bike for a long time so it isn't a big deal for me to stop.

Evanston is usually annoying in that most motorists expect you to blow the stop sign and will yield the right-of-way even when it's rightfully theirs. Then we get into an Alphonse & Gaston situation. I just want my right-of-way, not yours.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:10 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I probably wouldn't have come to a dead stop if they hadn't been there. But I pretty much always make a complete stop if there is anyone else near the intersection. I can balance on the bike for a long time so it isn't a big deal for me to stop.

Evanston is usually annoying in that most motorists expect you to blow the stop sign and will yield the right-of-way even when it's rightfully theirs. Then we get into an Alphonse & Gaston situation. I just want my right-of-way, not yours.

Yeah, drivers are often like that in Evanston/RP/Edgewater because there are a ton of bike riders in those areas, and they almost never heed stop signs.

I'm not surprised about the scooter riders. Most drivers of those vehicles don't seem aware that traffic laws apply to them, especially around Northwestern where they often terrorize pedestrians on the campus (or at least used to).

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:14 am 

I had a similar experience recently in Arlington Heights. I was on a bike and had the right of way but came almost to a dead stop because I didn't think the motorized scooter, skateboard, or whatever it was would stop. Which he didn't. Which was fine. I would rather guess right than guess wrong.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:20 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
I had a similar experience recently in Arlington Heights. I was on a bike and had the right of way but came almost to a dead stop because I didn't think the motorized scooter, skateboard, or whatever it was would stop. Which he didn't. Which was fine. I would rather guess right than guess wrong.

One day I was heading south on Custer/Damen at Howard and I came up behind a car that had its left turn signal on. I pulled up to his right at the light but I just had a feeling he might not turn left so I waited for him to go. Sure enough, that motherfucker made a right turn right in front of me. I'm gonna say most riders would have caught a right hook in that situation.

I just expect that the motorist is going to do the most stupid and/or aggressive thing possible. If he doesn't, that's great. Once in awhile I ride with my wife and she just trusts that the motorists are going to follow the traffic rules.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:24 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

One day I was heading south on Custer/Damen at Howard and I came up behind a car that had its left turn signal on. I pulled up to his right at the light but I just had a feeling he might not turn left so I waited for him to go. Sure enough, that motherfucker made a right turn right in front of me. I'm gonna say most riders would have caught a right hook in that situation.

I just expect that the motorist is going to do the most stupid and/or aggressive thing possible. If he doesn't, that's great. Once in awhile I ride with my wife and she just trusts that the motorists are going to follow the traffic rules.

Howard is, to say the least, less than optimal for bike riding. At least you weren't trying to ride down Devon. :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:43 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

Howard is, to say the least, less than optimal for bike riding. At least you weren't trying to ride down Devon. :lol:

I rarely ride on Howard. But Custer/Damen is a good route. I've picked up a lot of money on it, including currency.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:50 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
a genius wrote:

I rarely ride on Howard. But Custer/Damen is a good route. I've picked up a lot of money on it, including currency.

Yeah, Custer is good. I don't have positive feelings about Howard/Damen since I once had a confrontation with some teen-aged ruffians right around there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:01 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Yeah, Custer is good. I don't have positive feelings about Howard/Damen since I once had a confrontation with some teen-aged ruffians right around there.

That's the neighborhood I grew up in so I'm kind of romantic about it. It has always been a rough area though. They've tried to gentrify Howard Street but it never works. In the summer there's still an open air drug market at Howard and Hoyne that looks like something out of The Wire.

I stole this from Steve Earle and wrote it in a birthday card to a friend of mine from the neighborhood who had moved out east:

On Howard Street all the neon's burnin' bright
Pretty lights
Red and blue
But they'd shut down the Tally Ho tonight
And say a prayer or two
If they only knew
Now you say that Boston is your home
But we both know
That ain't true

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am 

Most recent Google maps picture is from 2019. I imagine it has changed since then?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:49 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
Most recent Google maps picture is from 2019. I imagine it has changed since then?

Still looks the same. Tasty Sub is still there. Popeye's is to the left just out of the photo. The little convenient store and the auto parts store are on the other corners.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:57 am 
Site Admin

https://www.thrillist.com/venues/drink/ ... s-tally-ho

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
https://www.thrillist.com/venues/drink/chicago/bars/monsens-tally-ho

Who the heck carries three ID's let alone has 3 ID's?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:37 pm 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

That's the neighborhood I grew up in so I'm kind of romantic about it. It has always been a rough area though. They've tried to gentrify Howard Street but it never works. In the summer there's still an open air drug market at Howard and Hoyne that looks like something out of The Wire.

I stole this from Steve Earle and wrote it in a birthday card to a friend of mine from the neighborhood who had moved out east:

On Howard Street all the neon's burnin' bright
Pretty lights
Red and blue
But they'd shut down the Tally Ho tonight
And say a prayer or two
If they only knew
Now you say that Boston is your home
But we both know
That ain't true

:lol:

Nice adaptation of a remarkable song.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:42 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
https://www.thrillist.com/venues/drink/chicago/bars/monsens-tally-ho

Who the heck carries three ID's let alone has 3 ID's?

:lol: I've been going in there since before I was of age. I had my first legal drink there. I'm not sure I've ever shown an ID there at all. All those rules are just a way to keep out unsavory characters. Ironically, unsavory characters are the clientele of the Tally Ho. The effete Evanstonians go across the street to Ward 8 or the Peckish Pig and order cheese platters with their drinks.

I know you're an ETHS guy. Where was your boyhood home?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:13 am 
1000 CLUB

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

In contrast, your thoroughly calm and genial board persona suggests that you are only the most courteous and patient of drivers. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:49 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

In contrast, your thoroughly calm and genial board persona suggests that you are only the most courteous and patient of drivers. :lol:

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:17 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I know you're an ETHS guy. Where was your boyhood home?

Lincoln st, just west of McDaniel. 2 doors east of the Uncle Buck house.

My parents decamped in 1992. They were not thrilled when the property tax crossed the 7k threshold. Now I see it is near 20k :lol:

Were we neighbors?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next