It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: Biking.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:31 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:
What is the verdict on motorized scooters?

They're an annoyance to both cyclists and automobile drivers.

The e-bike is one of the worst inventions ever. They're allowed in bike lanes and on bike paths but they have blurred the distinction between such lanes/paths and actual roads. So now I'll be riding through the woods on a bike path and occasionally some Evel Knievel motherfucker on a Harley will come whipping past me.

And maybe if you actually pedaled you wouldn't weigh 300 pounds. But hey, just ride your fucking e-bike and grab another bag of fudge rounds.

I don't own an ebike but doesn't this go against the idea that bikes are valid forms of transportation that deserve the same rights and privileges as cars? I don't see the difference between an ebike and a regular bike outside of one is faster and able to keep up with cars much better?

I have no problem with e-bikes on roads. But I'm sure Nardi and Simple don't want them there.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:34 am 
Site Admin

Tall Midget wrote:
The e-bikes seem like a good idea for people who live in hilly areas and are using their bikes to commute for longer distances. At least riders are getting some exercise from those. The motorized scooters and skateboards are absolute hazards. I saw a college kid on a motorized skateboard absolutely level someone last spring. The guy who got hit wound up with a pretty bad head injury and a shattered knee.

How about those motorized two-wheelers with no handle or steering? I'm not sure what they're called. They look like a Segway without the steering column. I had a goof whip past me at 35 mph on a bike path standing on one of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:48 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

The e-bike is one of the worst inventions ever. They're allowed in bike lanes and on bike paths but they have blurred the distinction between such lanes/paths and actual roads. So now I'll be riding through the woods on a bike path and occasionally some Evel Knievel motherfucker on a Harley will come whipping past me.

And maybe if you actually pedaled you wouldn't weigh 300 pounds. But hey, just ride your fucking e-bike and grab another bag of fudge rounds.

I don't own an ebike but doesn't this go against the idea that bikes are valid forms of transportation that deserve the same rights and privileges as cars? I don't see the difference between an ebike and a regular bike outside of one is faster and able to keep up with cars much better?

I have no problem with e-bikes on roads. But I'm sure Nardi and Simple don't want them there.

Why not on bike trails though?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Tall Midget wrote:

Why not on bike trails though?

Why should motorized vehicles be on trails where people are walking dogs and pushing strollers?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:22 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Why should motorized vehicles be on trails where people are walking dogs and pushing strollers?
As long as the motorized vehicles are being careful of the dog and people pushing strollers what is the issue?

Motorized and non-motorized transportation can and should co-exist. If they can do it on roadways then why not on something where larger motorized transportation is banned?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:25 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
As long as the motorized vehicles are being careful of the dog and people pushing strollers what is the issue?

Motorized and non-motorized transportation can and should co-exist. If they can do it on roadways then why not on something where larger motorized transportation is banned?

Okay, Rick.

It almost seems impossible for a person operating a motorized vehicle to be careful. You can feel the bloodlust rising in Nardi and Simple every time they post on the subject. I would hate to have them behind me in traffic riding one inch from my bumper let alone flying down the twists and turns of the North Branch Trail on a motorized two-wheeler.

Nobody gonna take my car
I'm gonna race it to the ground
Nobody gonna beat my car
It's gonna break the speed of sound
Ooh, it's a killing machine
It's got everything
Like a driving power
Big fat tires and everything

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:39 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It almost seems impossible for a person operating a motorized vehicle to be careful.

I think this is a fair assessment. Motorized and non-motorized vehicles cannot co-exist. You believe that to be true on bike trails even with vehicles that have pretty similar weights.

The question becomes why do we allow bikes of any kind and cars to be on the roadway where the difference is far larger and the danger is much greater?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:48 am 
Site Admin

Brick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It almost seems impossible for a person operating a motorized vehicle to be careful.

I think this is a fair assessment. Motorized and non-motorized vehicles cannot co-exist. You believe that to be true on bike trails even with vehicles that have pretty similar weights.

The question becomes why do we allow bikes of any kind and cars to be on the roadway where the difference is far larger and the danger is much greater?

I think we implement strict punishments for motorists- the dangeous factor in the equation- when they willifully and contumaciously ignore the laws, like driving 80 in a 55 because it's the "left fast lane." I would have $1000 fines for tailgating which is a real problem. If you think about it logically, it's very rare that anyone should brake on a highway. The braking occurs because people are driving too close. And why all the aggression? So a driver can arrive at a destination a minute earlier.

But back to roads where motorists and cyclists are both present, I would bet that most people here don't even know that the law says you must allow a cyclist three feet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:02 am 

Well, speed limits are often completely arbitrary and wrong. A well designed road that isn't in a neighborhood or busy downtown can easily handle more than 55 mph. Have you ever been on a road with a speed limit of 55 mph, gone 60 mph and been like "Wow. This feels really unsafe."?

Still though, the ultimate point is that ebikes and regular bikes and pedestrians are the same issue as bikes and cars. There is a natural speed difference between them that makes it an incompatible situation. Cars are designed to go much faster than ebikes and ebikes and even regular bikes are designed to go faster than pedestrians.

The goal should be a complete separation of motorized and non-motorized vehicles everywhere. It would take some city planning but the best thing we could do is get to a point where bikes can be banned from all places motorized vehicles go and vice versa.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Never took Jorr for a guy who allows his four speed tricycle to self identify as a motor vehicle.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:39 am 
Site Admin

veganfan21 wrote:
Never took Jorr for a guy who allows his four speed tricycle to self identify as a motor vehicle.

Not as surprised as I am that a guy named "veganfan" supports the automobile-centric status quo.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
This “Biking” thread has predictably turned into a “Bricking” thread. Good luck Jorr.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2023 12:05 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
:lol: Jorr, quit your lying. I've said bikes are indeed legal road vehicles. Third time now in this thread. I just happen to agree with Illinois law that says bikers have the same rights and responsibilities as drivers. The next time I hear of a biker in traffic court because he blew a stop sign or a red light will be the first.

You think bikes belong on the roads, but also shouldn't have to follow traffic laws. Then you cry when some dumbass rides their bike into the back of a parked vehicle....a giant fucking Amazon van at that. Its not like this was some tiny smart car. That dude may have been a great punk singer, but he sucked at seeing things 30' long.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:05 pm 
Site Admin

I just rode past where Kezdy ran into the truck:

It's just north of the Old Green Bay Sheridan Road bypass between Tower and Scott.

I can see how, especially on a day as hot as it was last Wednesday, you could get into a good cadence and just drop your head. I've done it myself. Apparently, there's video and he didn't even attempt to swerve or stop. He probably just wasn't looking. That doesn't excuse the guy parked in the bike lane but it's pretty hard to blame him for a guy's death when the dead guy wasn't looking ahead.

Other points of interest on my ride:

Lake view from Centennial Park:

Construction of the monstrosity the owner of the Phoenix Suns is building on three lakefront lots just north of Kenilworth:

He attempted to use his wealth and power to steal Centennial Park from The People but the VIllagers rose up and put a stop to that.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 12:30 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
So he comes around the corner and there's a marked bike lane with an amazon truck parked there?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 3:52 pm 

Nardi wrote:
So he comes around the corner and there's a marked bike lane with an amazon truck parked there?
Depending on the city, it isn't illegal to temporarily park in a bike lane in Illinois. I don't know if that was true for Glencoe.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:32 pm 

Brick wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Depending on the city, it isn't illegal to temporarily park in a bike lane in Illinois. I don't know if that was true for Glencoe.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Sheri ... ?entry=ttu

Bike lanes on both sides. Clearly a biker should have his head on a swivel. Especially going around a curve.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Milano's
there's a nice walking/biking path near my house that i walk my dog on often.

i just love it when kids in their ATV's and dirt bikes nearly run me over. There's nothing quite like the smell of exhaust and earth shattering noise when you're on a relaxing walk. At least in my area, a lot of these kids ride these bikes on actual roads. I seriously saw one not too long ago going down 143rd st, which is a 2 lane road, 45 mph. Eventually one of them is going to get run over then we'll see a "start seeing kids on dirt bikes" campaign

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2023 4:37 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I can see how, especially on a day as hot as it was last Wednesday, you could get into a good cadence and just drop your head. I've done it myself. Apparently, there's video and he didn't even attempt to swerve or stop. He probably just wasn't looking. That doesn't excuse the guy parked in the bike lane but it's pretty hard to blame him for a guy's death when the dead guy wasn't looking ahead.
He's got plenty of time to look down (or up) now.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
JORR do you do races? Here is one for you. CFMB biking outing?

https://open.substack.com/pub/trailrunn ... dium=email

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2023 7:36 am 
Site Admin

a genius wrote:
JORR do you do races? Here is one for you. CFMB biking outing?

https://open.substack.com/pub/trailrunn ... dium=email

:lol: I've never raced. That looks pretty crazy. Beautiful though.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:20 am 

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 7:32 am 

This decision by the Illinois Supreme Court makes no sense to me. As they state, if the city did not intend for the bikes to be ridden from the rental location, how are the rentors expected to get them to where they are supposed to be ridden and how is that communicated to them?

https://patch.com/illinois/chicago/bicy ... ourt-finds

Quote:
Bicycles Still Not 'Intended' On Roads, Illinois Supreme Court Finds
The state's highest court reversed a ruling that found Chicago clearly intended people to ride bicycles near Divvy bike rental stations.
Jonah Meadows,
Patch Staff
Posted Wed, Dec 20, 2023 at 12:00 pm CT

SPRINGFIELD, IL — The Illinois Supreme Court found that people riding bicycles are not intended users of roads outside of bike lanes, even if they are permitted to ride on them.

The state's highest court sided with attorneys for the city of Chicago, reversing an appellate court ruling that a man could sue the city over his injuries caused by crashing into a 5-inch-deep pothole located in a crosswalk within 100 feet of a Divvy bike rental station.

"[W]e find that — assuming private bicycle use is to be treated the same as Divvy bicycle use for the purpose of analyzing the City’s intent — the Divvy station and sign establish only that the City permitted bicycling as a use of the adjacent West Leland Avenue," Justice David Overstreet said in a unanimous ruling issued Thursday.

“[W]e conclude that the Divvy station and sign are not affirmative physical manifestations that the City intended bicycling as a use of West Leland Avenue at the accident site," Overstreet said.

Clark Alave suffered broken teeth, cuts and injuries to his hip and shoulder in the June 2019 crash at the corner of Leland and Western avenues in Chicago.

Alave filed suit later that year, arguing that the city meant for bicycles to be rented and operated in the area and city officials therefore had the duty to exercise reasonable care for intended road users, as required by state law.

Chicago's lawyers got a trial judge to dismiss the suit in 2021 by asserting that neither Leland nor Western was a designated bicycle route and the intersection did not have any signs declaring that the city intended for people to use bicycles there.

Then, last year, a appellate panel reversed the lower court. Judges cited a trio of factors to find an "implied intent" that bicycles were intended users of the roadway: that adults are forbidden from bicycling on most sidewalks, that city officials foresaw people would not necessarily walk their bikes when outside of bike lanes and that they intentionally placed a Divvy station at the accident site.

"[F]or so long as an ordinance exists prohibiting adult use of bicycles on sidewalks," the appellate court found, "it is reasonable to conclude that the City intended the use that common sense, custom, and necessity all indicate: that they be ridden in the streets in close proximity to Divvy stations."

City attorneys appealed to the Illinois Supreme Court, which heard oral arguments in the case in September.

"The city of Chicago is openly proclaiming itself as a bike-friendly city. Is that an indication of the city's intent?" Justice Liz Rochford asked a lawyer for the city.

"No, your honor," replied Stephen Collins, Chicago's assistant corporation counsel.

Collins argued the city did not owe Alave a duty of reasonable care because he was not an intended user of the road — despite its proximity to one of the city-owned bicycle share system's more than 650 docking stations.

"A Divvy station, by its nature, does not designate any particular roadway as being intended for bicycle riding," Collins contended.

"And that makes them different from things like street signs and pavement markings, which are affirmative manifestations in that they do designate specific roadways as places where the city intends bicycling," he said.

Justice Joy Cunningham asked about the apparent logical shortcomings of the city's argument.

"It seems like it makes no sense to say that it wasn't attended for bike riding at that location, because the bike stand is right there," Cunningham said. "So how do you get the bike from there to wherever you want to go without riding on the street?"

Erron Fisher, who represented Alave, argued that the city of Chicago has been making millions of dollars through its ownership of the Divvy system, which it has contracted with Lyft to operate.

"The city of Chicago put itself in the bicycle rental business," Fisher said.

"They own these bicycles, they approve, through aldermanic process, where all these Divvy bicycle rental stations go. Apart from all that, the city's now asking you to believe that it has no intent when it places these bicycle stations that bicycle be rode away from the stations in their legal means," Fisher said. "That's just a foolish argument."

Last week's 32-page ruling from the state's highest court means that municipal officials have no duty to keep roads safe enough to ride on, leaving cyclists to ride at their own risk any time they are not on a designated bike path.

Justices upheld the precedent set a quarter-century ago in the case Jon P. Boub v. Township of Wayne, a state Supreme Court decision finding that cyclists in Illinois are permitted — but not intended — users of roads without specific markings, signage or other indications local governments intend people to ride.

Illinois lawmakers have declined to intervene legislatively in the question of who is an intended road user since the 1998 ruling, which discourages local government officials to designate roads as safe for cycling if they want to remain immune from lawsuits.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 8:16 am 
Site Admin

It would probably be a lot cheaper to just fix the potholes.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:34 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
It would probably be a lot cheaper to just fix the potholes.

I am disappointed. I just knew in reading that article that I was going to find a story from JORR about how you overcame a pothole and cussed a driver out in the process.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 2:43 pm 

They just put bike lanes on 35st St near the ballpark. Fucked everything up. I hope the 3 bikers appreciate it because the 500 motorists don't.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
Which would be the worst to be stuck in an elevator with: a vegan, a born-again Christian or an avid biker?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:16 pm 
Site Admin

Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:
Which would be the worst to be stuck in an elevator with: a vegan, a born-again Christian or an avid biker?

A typical impatient motorist who pushes the button seven times and stands right in front of the door twitching like he has somewhere very important to get to and an extra two seconds in the elevator is going to ruin his life.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizanos
Avid biker defies stereotypes and jumps out to the lead.

We walk, talk, and won't shit our pants

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2023 3:28 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Zippy-The-Pinhead wrote:

A typical impatient motorist who pushes the button seven times and stands right in front of the door twitching like he has somewhere very important to get to and an extra two seconds in the elevator is going to ruin his life.

I hate waiting for elevators.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 308 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next