It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I live me life a 1/4 mile at a time

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Paced a friend for miles 60-80 of her first ever 100-mile trail race this weekend out in Indiana. Wow, that was something, especially to see it up close. These athletes are amazing. I had the pleasure of running one of the overnight segments, and what an inspiration it was to see some of those people out there, especially the ones going it alone with no crew or pacers, I dont know how they do it. Some of them were REALLY struggling but kept on pushing on. Was really satisfying to see her finish and somehow be a part of it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:50 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Recently got a pair of Hoka Gaviotas. Better cushioning than the Bondi, but nowhere close to the original Arahi, which now sucks due to Hoka's inexplicable changes to that shoe.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:00 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
started a new job about a month ago which is putting a serious time constraint in any voluntary activities. Got up at 5 today to run. we'll see how long that holds up.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 11:39 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
NY City Marathon lottery drawing tomorrow. I have tried to get in the last 3-4 years so hoping this will be the year.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:21 pm 

a genius wrote:
NY City Marathon lottery drawing tomorrow. I have tried to get in the last 3-4 years so hoping this will be the year.

Good luck to you! That is my dream race. I will run it some day. That some day will not be this year though.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:46 pm 

Thanks, I think only about 15% of US entrants make it in so we'll see what happens.

MANY aspire to do 50 marathons in 50 states but for a number of reasons I am not one of them. I've already got close to 50, they just have mostly been in Illinois and Wisconsin :)

So while I am not fixated on it, instead I want to complete the 6 world majors (Chicago, Boston, New York, London, Berlin and Tokyo). Two down, four to go. But between the unpredictability and limitations of health, finances, entry lotteries, vacation time and desire to travel elsewhere it is far from a gimme.

EDIT of course this made me want to count up the states I have done: Arizona, California, Florida, Illinois, Louisiana, Massachusetts, Oregon, Virginia, Wisconsin.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:26 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
a genius wrote:

Good luck to you! That is my dream race. I will run it some day. That some day will not be this year though.

Nor me. Shut out again.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Shamrock Shuffle was this past Sunday. I always enjoyed this race asa good kick-off for outdoor running season. I ran it 2013 - 2016. I sat out 2017 and 2018 mostly due to being crazy at work, but also.....weather in 2016 was just God-awful.

This year we were planning to skip again, but on Wednesday, I checked the forecast and looked like weather would be ok.

While it wasn't "nice" out, the rain held and there was no wind. A pretty nice day for March. I'm slow and still way out of running shape, but I finished it and had the best run I've had in 2 years.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:40 am 

Starting up running again is so hard, it would just be easier to never lay off. But this winter was brutal.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:57 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
it would just be easier to never lay off.

Truth

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:37 pm 

I had a 25k trail race Saturday am, and it was beautiful out, cool, sunny and bright. I have been focusing on roads all winter in preparation for the Illinois Marathon but had to bail on that after missing a 10-day period of peak mileage due to the recent illness and death of my father :cry: . I started up running again and have shifted gears back to trails for the summer/fall racing season. Anyhow I managed to finish in 2:40:20 which was unexpectedly solid for me since I haven't run a trail in months. I think my old man was dragging me through the woods that last mile or so.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:18 pm 

Nice job on the race but very sorry about your dad :( . I think my parents (both deceased) have dragged me around a few races too, despite the fact they both thought my wife and me running so much was dumb :lol: :lol:

Trying to ramp up miles both on the trail and in the street in preparation for the Ice Age 50k in May.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:35 pm 

Sorry to hear about your father MOFO.

But as a former track/cross country guy, my knees and I think y'all are nuts. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 7:41 pm 

Yaarr!!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:10 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Sorry to hear about your father MOFO.

But as a former track/cross country guy, my knees and I think y'all are nuts. :lol:

My knees have the same response. Trail running (flat trail that is) seems less painful but I can’t imagine pounding out 10 miles consistently. My knees would have to get packed in ice.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:27 am 

thank you guys, it has been a very difficult time in the MOFO house.

as for trail running, I find it much easier on the body in the long-term (easier on the knees and body in general) but also find it much more dangerous in the short term (tripping and falling hazards). Mentally i just struggle with road miles in a way I dont feel when running the trails. LOL my Wednesday workout is one hour of stair repeats, if you want to talk about workouts that suck. My next trail race is dominated by stair segments that crushed my legs and my spirit last year, this year I will be better prepared.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:31 am 

pizza_Place: World Famous Pizza
Man, running fucking sucks. I've started on and off at least half a dozen times, then get shin splints, then lose all my progress, then it gets cold and then my desire to run evaporates once more.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:15 am 

SpiralStairs wrote:
Man, running fucking sucks. I've started on and off at least half a dozen times, then get shin splints, then lose all my progress, then it gets cold and then my desire to run evaporates once more.

I think the key is to start slow and then slowly work up the mileage. People tend to get all gung ho and think they can run 20 miles during the first week back after a long lay off.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Hatchetman wrote:
SpiralStairs wrote:

I think the key is to start slow and then slowly work up the mileage. People tend to get all gung ho and think they can run 20 miles during the first week back after a long lay off.

No, he's actually right, it sucks. I have never run more than, say, 7 miles in my life. I enjoyed the endorphin rush, and the solitude, but got tired of walking around like an old man for half the day. Get a bicycle, see the world.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:27 am 

i think newer runners often fight a stigma about walking as somehow failing. A good beginner program should include a good amount of walking as well as running, but often beginners feel like if they have to run as far as they can every time out. that is why Couch to 5k is so popular and works so well - if followed it safely gets you to running a 5k or running 30 minutes straight without a lot of the frustration new runners experience when they dont follow a plan. You just do what the app tells you to do when it tells you to do it. Once you can get through that first 5k the sky is the limit.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:30 am 

Telegram Sam wrote:
No, he's actually right, it sucks. I have never run more than, say, 7 miles in my life. I enjoyed the endorphin rush, and the solitude, but got tired of walking around like an old man for half the day. Get a bicycle, see the world.

i dont agree with the running sucks part, but the "see the world" part is right on, and another reason why I enjoy the trails. You dont typically have to look too far to find new trails and forests and riverfronts to run and you can avoid the tedium of the treadmill or running around your neighborhood all the time.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:31 am 

Also, I hate the spit you get when running. That really stringy shit that sticks to your tongue and makes you look like a fucking maniac when it gets all over your shirt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:34 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Something I discovered recently. I will not get in a consistent running habit so I run whenever I am on vacation or have multiple days off. If I overdo it I am incredibly sore. I went running this past Sunday for the first time since the new year on a cushioned indoor track. I always run outside on hard tracks. On Sunday, I went pretty hard for 50 minutes and yet I was not sore at all. This leads me to think that the impact on the hard ground is what was causing soreness after not running for a while NOT using my muscles in the run. Just thought it was interesting.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:36 am 

DAC wrote:
Something I discovered recently. I will not get in a consistent running habit so I run whenever I am on vacation or have multiple days off. If I overdo it I am incredibly sore. I went running this past Sunday for the first time since the new year on a cushioned indoor track. I always run outside on hard tracks. On Sunday, I went pretty hard for 50 minutes and yet I was not sore at all. This leads me to think that the impact on the hard ground is what was causing soreness after not running for a while NOT using my muscles in the run. Just thought it was interesting.

Well yeah, humans weren't designed to run on concrete or ashpalt.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:03 pm 

Old or bad shoes can also contribute to soreness.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:09 pm 

Anybody been running or racing much over the summer into the fall? I didn't race a lot, but I trained and put in more miles this summer than in any summer before (i hate running in the heat). Now that the summer is outta here and the temps are cooler things are looking a lot better on the running front. I feel like I am in great shape for some ambitious race goals this winter into next spring. I have a local series of trail races that escalate in distance each month from 5k to 20k over the winter to look forward to, plus the Frozen Gnome 50k in January, the Skunk Ape 8-hour race in March and all culminating with my return to the Potowatomi 50-miler down in Pekin in April. This past weekend I logged 44 miles pacing some friends at the Hennepin Hundred, and what a motivation that was to be a part of. Those 100-milers are bad ass MF'ers. 50 is my limit, i'm not crazy enough for the 100.

Any Chicago Marathon runners this weekend on the board, or anyone else have any running goals or races coming up?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:36 pm 

After 15 or so Chicagos I am on hiatus from that one. Instead I am doing the Memphis marathon in December. I have a milestone birthday this January so to celebrate am also considering a winter marathon -- maybe Ft. Lauderdale.

It was a good summer of running. Managed 40-55 miles most weeks. Most of it on the road but I do try to get to the trail one day a week.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 9:53 am 

Wow, that’s great mileage. Nice job, good luck on your training for those marathons!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:15 pm 

I did 4 miles on Saturday and 4 again Sunday. Pace on Sunday is getting there....11:09, but I still have a long way to go.

Still....I'm under 6 months from my ACL reconstruction so I'm just happy to be able to get out there.

I'm hoping to get back to marathon shape in 2020....don't think I'll ever get back to the 4 hr area, but I'd love to get through one more in my life.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next