It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
4 miles each outdoors on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....holy shit my legs are sore!
Lovin' rest day today.

Back at it Saturday and Sunday.

Anybody doing the Shamrock Shuffle at the end of the month? this will be my 3rd year...as much as I hate going to the city, I love this event.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:16 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Ran single-track trail on Sunday. Snow was packed down so it was fine. 52 miles in the last 6 days :) Gotta get ready for Ice Age trail 50k in May!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:19 am 

wdelaney72 wrote:

Anybody doing the Shamrock Shuffle at the end of the month? this will be my 3rd year...as much as I hate going to the city, I love this event.

Volunteering at the first aid station. Looks like it will be my duty to ensure all the cups of gatorade are properly filled and handed out. If you have any complaints you can leave a comment card.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
a genius wrote:
Ran single-track trail on Sunday. Snow was packed down so it was fine. 52 miles in the last 6 days :) Gotta get ready for Ice Age trail 50k in May!

I'm going to be going up there to support a friend, looking forward to that race and seeing what makes the ultra runners tick. there is a new 100-mile ultra starting up this year out here in Sterling called the Hennepin Hundred following the old Hennepin Canal. Im going to be volunteering at that one. i know i am light years away from that kind of thing but i am fascinated by ultra running and want to be a part of helping those runners.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
wdelaney72 wrote:
4 miles each outdoors on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday....holy shit my legs are sore!
Lovin' rest day today.

Back at it Saturday and Sunday.

This will be my second year for the Shuffle, also doing the Race to Wrigley 10K at end of April. Had to do a 3 mile run Sunday anyways so signed up for Shamrock Shuffle in Rockford. Ragnar Relay is coming in June with the Madison Half in August for me.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:18 pm 

I'll be the one and only person at the Shamrock wearing a Slayer t-shirt...lol.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:24 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
I'll be the one and only person at the Shamrock wearing a Slayer t-shirt...lol.

We're going to Half Acre afterwards and order in some food. Heck we will stop there Friday for Fer kin Friday after getting packets...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2015 12:48 pm 

i ran my towns Shamrock Shuffle 5k saturday - sub-24 minutes for the first time. looking forward to a great year of racing in 2015.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:47 pm 

My Shamrock time was 47:47. Crap time, but then again, being glad to have just been out there. Over the last 2 weeks, I've traded in Tequila for salads and shed a few lbs. Just broke 9 min pace (8:49) o a 5 mile run for the first time this year.

Next up is Race to Wrigley on 4/25 and then the big Chicagoland Spring Marathon in Schaumburg 5/17.

The Shamrock was MISERABLY cold...we got the hell back on the train as fast as possible.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 4:08 pm 

all in all, the weather this spring has been amazing for running. i have been getting 5 nights a week in and roughly 35-40 miles per week. still a little unsure about my goal race for the year but i have several races lined up in the next couple months. i think i am going to commit to the Quad Cities Half Marathon in September, but continue to do 5 and 10k races in the meantime.

next weekend is the Illinois Marathon. i found out this week i will be running lead-off for our relay team which doesn't excite me. i don't like running in a stampede environment but from what i hear the first half of the race has a lot of crowd support whereas the second half is a lot of empty streets and is kind of boring. hopefully i can do well and get the team off to a good start.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:53 am 

man of few opinions wrote:
...what i hear the first half of the race has a lot of crowd support whereas the second half is a lot of empty streets and is kind of boring. ....

Correct (for the most part). I have done the CU marathon 3 times. First half has everybody but it seems far more do the half than the full so at the split it does become lonely for the full. However at the end you run through some nice upscale shady neighborhoods in Champaign so it is not all bad. And the finish through the west part of campus, in to the stadium and on to the field is terrific.

When I do marathons when there is also a relay I sometimes feel extra slow when the relay guys blow past me. I have to remind myself they are not going quite as far as I am. :)

U of I is my alma mater -- I always enjoy going back. Good luck and have fun!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:11 am 

a genius wrote:
When I do marathons when there is also a relay I sometimes feel extra slow when the relay guys blow past me. I have to remind myself they are not going quite as far as I am. :)

thats actually going to be kind of weird - I'm going to be going at what i hope to be 8:00 to 8:20 pace for my relay leg, and running with people who are WAY beyond me in terms of running ability, but they will be crushing it for 26.2 miles. I'm kind of hoping based on that i will be in one of the forward corrals and can get off to a faster start than typical since the runners around me will be faster. we put down 3:30 - 3:40 for estimated finish time based on our estimated 10k times.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:12 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
a genius wrote:
man of few opinions wrote:
...what i hear the first half of the race has a lot of crowd support whereas the second half is a lot of empty streets and is kind of boring. ....

Correct (for the most part). I have done the CU marathon 3 times. First half has everybody but it seems far more do the half than the full so at the split it does become lonely for the full. However at the end you run through some nice upscale shady neighborhoods in Champaign so it is not all bad. And the finish through the west part of campus, in to the stadium and on to the field is terrific.

U of I is my alma mater -- I always enjoy going back. Good luck and have fun!

To see how the lowest 5% lives? :) That place is a fine dump with a wonderful scent.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:52 am 

denisdman wrote:

To see how the lowest 5% lives? :) That place is a fine dump with a wonderful scent.

No, I would say they are more in the 6-10% range. For the lowest 5% I visit Danville, Decatur, and Portage IN. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 9:55 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
a genius wrote:
denisdman wrote:

No, I would say they are more in the 6-10% range. For the lowest 5% I visit Danville, Decatur, and Portage IN. :lol: :lol:

I usually visit Schaumburg or Arlington Heights for that. They appear to be in the highest 20% but that's an illusion created by all the debt they carry.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:02 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I usually visit Schaumburg or Arlington Heights for that. They appear to be in the highest 20% but that's an illusion created by all the debt they carry.

:lol: Hmmm... I live in Arlington yet aside from an almost-paid mortgage, carry no debt. I don't think I am alone, at least on our block.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:05 am 

I had to pass on the Race to Wrigley because I had that bad chest virus for a few weeks but am still doing a 10K at the Morton Arboretum this weekend. Along with the Ragnar Relay our group is doing the Race to the Base (Fort Sheridan to Great Lakes, 10 Nautical miles) and I did sign up for the Rock and Roll Half Marathon in Chicago. The Shamrock was brutal the last 2 miles or so...but Haymarket had great liquid refreshment.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:07 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I still want to do a marathon, but my left knee has been flaring up lately and not, uh, flaring back down, so I just don't know whether I have it in me to go more than ten miles. Maybe it's time to re-devote myself to riding a bike.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 10:08 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am impressed by the mileage racked up by CSFMB members. I stick to two mile runs every other day. Anything more than, and my back can't take it. There is a ton of stress on the joints from running.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:08 pm 

Been a few years since I have done any type of running.

Started the couch to 5k program tonight.

Hoping to be back running 3 miles a few times a week by summer.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:32 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Cool, best of luck! You're fortunate to have all those hills out there to run on, I presume.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
RFDC wrote:

I'm going from couch to 5K in one day. Promised myself to do a 5k everyday and have a perfect path set up. I hope I have
WiFi in the hospital to let you know how I did.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:52 am 

T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I'm going from couch to 5K in one day. Promised myself to do a 5k everyday and have a perfect path set up. I hope I have

Eh, 12-15 miles a week is a good start, maybe every other week stretch that last run out another .5 miles...

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:54 am 

Arbor Day run at Morton Arboretum was quite hilly but a good challenge. I also signed up for the Cinco de Miler on May 9th which is along Lake Michigan south of Soldier Field (cool medal that looks like a sombrero and is a bottle opener) and the Fox Trot run in Elgin Memorial Day weekend....3 races in with several to go this year.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
i've been running on days i'm too lazy to go to the gym. probably getting between 8-12 miles every 7 days.

a few years ago i was able to run 5 miles in sub 45 minutes. on friday i broke 10 min mile running 4 miles in 39 min.

baby steps but i was proud i could haul 230 of ass that quickly again.

like curious hair, i love the warmer weather. friday got up to high 70s and i was in heaven

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:01 pm 

good running everyone, i got in a couple decent runs this weekend (one fast, the other slow and longer) and i feel ready for the relay. i totally recommend the C25K program to get into the swing of running, it really works. it got me literally from ZERO running whatsoever to running a 5k in 3 months and little did i know how bad i was going to get bitten by the running bug. i started at 230 lbs and i lost 35 pounds in about 4-5 months. it is amazing how shedding 35 pounds lightens the load and allows you to really achieve faster speeds you didn't think you would ever be able to hit.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 1:03 pm 

running is great. playing basketball is even better. i do both... people really dont realize how sick their bodies are.... youre right, when you run regularly and shed off the excess pounds you feel like a teenager again (and kinda look like one too lol).

i love the feeling. i run every time i get a chance now, even if its just to the mailbox :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:36 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Eh, 12-15 miles a week is a good start, maybe every other week stretch that last run out another .5 miles...

I finally got off my ass and went to the gym. Did 2 miles on the treadmill at a 0.5 incline. Not too great at 21:30 but it is a start.
I could have done a little more but didn't want to overdo it. Lifted a bit afterwards and left. Now I need to keep getting in there or
running outside when it is nicer out.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:39 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
I ran all winter, went out there when it was fifteen below, but I'm not looking forward to going out there this morning. A few warm days and it's easy to get soft.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 6:40 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I ran all winter, went out there when it was fifteen below, but I'm not looking forward to going out there this morning. A few warm days and it's easy to get soft.

No doubt. I took my dog for 3 walks a day all winter long but I didn't bitch as much then as I have this week after wearing shorts golfing last Saturday.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 22  Next