It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
ive never run in Nike road shoes before, but i have several pair of Nike trail shoes and I love them. They seem to be built to last, and they have a nice wide toe box. For the roads, Hoka all the way, great cushion and support.

As an aside, this heat is making my runs almost unbearable. I did a 9-hour endurance trail race a couple weeks back when it was super hot and seriously almost gave myself heatstroke. It was the worst running experience of my life. I don't know how all these summer racers do it. No more distance races for me until October at earliest. Never again in the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I "ran" three miles this morning and almost gave myself heat stroke. Carried a water bottle along which is so miserable.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:13 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
11 trail miles today in Deer Grove. Actually not too horrific. Maybe a little cooler in the woods although I got dive bombed a few times by some jurassic park looking bugs.

This beats carrying.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:32 pm 

Guys who run in this heat and humidity are masochists in my book.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 5:41 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Guys who run in this heat and humidity are masochists in my book.

I go about 830 or 9 at night.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
I don't know about you guys, but I have a lot of trouble finding a good running shoe. It mostly has to do with the shoe manufacturers themselves, like Nike and New Balance, who have gone away from superior rubber soles to foam. I find foam shoes are complete garbage. There is little stability to these and bad rebound/cushion. Man was not made to walk or run in foam shoes. It all has to do with profit margins, and the shoe companies can make foam shoes a lot more cheaply than using actual rubber.

I remember when Nike Air Jordans came out back in the late 80s. They were the coolest athletic shoe ever made and certainly didn't have foam soles. I wish everyone would not buy these and force the shoe companies to produce shoes with rubber soles again.

I don't even bother to go to the stores anymore to buy running shoes, what, to pay $125 for foam? I try to find a good pair on Ebay for a lot less.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:17 am 

last night was a beautiful night to run. Ran on the local bike path in the shade and yes it was warm but it wasn't blast furnace hot like this past weekend. Plus there was a little breeze to make it better. I hate summer running but for this one night it felt good.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:34 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Trying to work myself back in to running condition. 20 miles over 5 days last week and I'm on schedule for this week. I'm still pacing over 11 min / mile but getting better each run.

Bought a pair of Hokka Clifton 5. I cannot emphasize how much better I feel after running compared to my Brooks Ghost. I immediately ordered a pair for my wife.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:04 pm 

With a 20 on Saturday gonna finish up the week with 64 miles. It's high season for Chicago Marathon training.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:35 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Trying to work myself back in to running condition. 20 miles over 5 days last week and I'm on schedule for this week. I'm still pacing over 11 min / mile but getting better each run.

Bought a pair of Hokka Clifton 5. I cannot emphasize how much better I feel after running compared to my Brooks Ghost. I immediately ordered a pair for my wife.

I have 2 pairs of earlier Clifton models, they are workhorses. I do not have any of the new 5's yet, but I am a firm believer in Hoka shoes and have quite a few different models. I have offered to buy my wife a pair (she suffers from Plantar faciitis) but she cant get around the looks of them. They are starting to get better in that regard.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
man of few opinions wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:

I have 2 pairs of earlier Clifton models, they are workhorses. I do not have any of the new 5's yet, but I am a firm believer in Hoka shoes and have quite a few different models. I have offered to buy my wife a pair (she suffers from Plantar faciitis) but she cant get around the looks of them. They are starting to get better in that regard.

I am a huge Hoka fan. Sure they look ugly as noted, but they get the job done.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:58 pm 

a genius wrote:
With a 20 on Saturday gonna finish up the week with 64 miles. It's high season for Chicago Marathon training.

Great job - that's a solid week for sure! I give you and all the others training hard all summer for late summer and early fall races a lot of credit. It is hard enough getting miles in without doing it during the heat of summer. I have some big races coming up in the late fall, winter and spring that don't require huge miles in the heat. I do have a 25k trail race in mid-September that could be a challenge if it is a scorcher. I have been logging miles all summer but not any real determined training. I did go out to Mines of Spain state park in Iowa along the Mississippi a few weeks back for a training run with a friend, and WOW what a park. Who knew that there was such a beautiful place so close to home. Beautiful views and trails. It is nice to branch out and go run somewhere new once in a while.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:46 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Thread monitor. Running sucks.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 7:55 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
wdelaney72 wrote:

Interesting. I was going to get a pair of those but I read several poor reviews. I have wanted to get some Hokas for a couple years now. Went with my standard, Mizuno Wave Rider 21s instead. I don't know how much running I am going to do going forward. I definitely prefer my road bike over running but I like to mix it up as well. Did a 50 min run today at a 9 min mile pace.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:13 pm 

The problem I have with the Clifton’s is that since the first version (which were a legendary combo of cushion and light weight), each subsequent model has gotten stiffer and heavier to the point where the most recent version is virtually unrecognizable when compared to that original, critically acclaimed shoe. I have read mixed reviews on the 5’s, mostly from people who year after year pray the next version will simply go back to the original. Recently I have been a big fan of the Mach, which to me is much more comparable to the Clifton 1 than the Clifton 5 is.

Btw, shoutout to Frank for bumping the thread!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 8:21 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
The problem I have with the Clifton’s is that since the first version (which were a legendary combo of cushion and light weight), each subsequent model has gotten stiffer and heavier to the point where the most recent version is virtually unrecognizable when compared to that original, critically acclaimed shoe. I have read mixed reviews on the 5’s, mostly from people who year after year pray the next version will simply go back to the original. Recently I have been a big fan of the Mach, which to me is much more comparable to the Clifton 1 than the Clifton 5 is.

Btw, shoutout to Frank for bumping the thread!

Those were the types of reviews I saw. People that were critical of the 5s in comparison to previous models.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:29 am 

I had the pleasure of volunteering at an Aid Station of the Hennepin Hundred 100-miler this weekend. It is an ultra race that starts in Sterling and runs the entire length of the Hennepin Canal that connects the Rock River with the Mississippi. What a great experience helping these athletes. I was stationed at about the 50-mile marker, and being able to help these folks replenish and prepare for the second half of this race was super-motivational. It was also the 50-mile event finish line and it was amazing to see the emotion, especially as the first-timers finished. My daughter came out and helped with me, and we had the honor of meeting and pacing Ann Trason, the greatest female ultra runner of all time. She is running an ultra in each state to wrap up her illustrious career, and this was her Illinois stop. She isn’t moving like she used to, and was hiking most of the way, but what a great person she was, so gracious for our company and encouraging to my daughter and her running pursuits. It was a great opportunity to spend time with a running legend. Definitely fired up for my next race in November now!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:38 am 

My plan is to run two miles in 13:00 by next summer. Not going to be easy. I'm probably at 17:00 right now after three or so years of living poorly.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:40 am 

I had the pleasure of volunteering at an Aid Station of the Hennepin Hundred 100-miler this weekend. It is an ultra race that starts in Sterling and runs the entire length of the Hennepin Canal that connects the Rock River with the Mississippi. What a great experience helping these athletes. I was stationed at about the 50-mile marker, and being able to help these folks replenish and prepare for the second half of this race was super-motivational. It was also the 50-mile event finish line and it was amazing to see the emotion, especially as the first-timers finished. My daughter came out and helped with me, and we had the honor of meeting and pacing Ann Trason, the greatest female ultra runner of all time. She is running an ultra in each state to wrap up her illustrious career, and this was her Illinois stop. She isn’t moving like she used to, and was hiking most of the way, but what a great person she was, so gracious for our company and encouraging to my daughter and her running pursuits. It was a great opportunity to spend time with a running legend. Definitely fired up for my next race in November now!

Good work, it appears you and your daughter had a terrific weekend. I know someone who did that 100 miler this weekend and certainly they cannot be done without so many wonderful volunteers. Kudos and good luck in November. You might have already said, but what event are you doing?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hatchetman wrote:
My plan is to run two miles in 13:00 by next summer. Not going to be easy. I'm probably at 17:00 right now after three or so years of living poorly.

Good luck! I would like to sign up for a 5K this fall and finish in 30 minutes or less. I'd like to do a 10K in the spring and bust an hour. I have a LONG
way to go to get there.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:44 am 

A trailrunning blog I really enjoy: http://www.atrailrunnersblog.com/2018/

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:47 am 

T-Bone wrote:
[Good luck! I would like to sign up for a 5K this fall and finish in 30 minutes or less. I'd like to do a 10K in the spring and bust an hour. I have a LONG way to go to get there.

I think the single biggest issue for me is time management. You need to set aside an hour pretty much every single day for some sort of training (including showering, changing, etc.). You say, "well, I'll go five days/week." Pretty soon that's three days, then Sundays, then not at all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:52 am 

a genius wrote:
Good work, it appears you and your daughter had a terrific weekend. I know someone who did that 100 miler this weekend and certainly they cannot be done without so many wonderful volunteers. Kudos and good luck in November. You might have already said, but what event are you doing?

I'm doing the Miner 49'er at Mines of Spain State Park in Iowa along the Mississippi. I think I may opt for the 25k event, i'm not feeling like I am well-trained enough to pull off a quality 50k finish and I dont really want to death-march it out there, it is very hilly and in some spots technical terrain. Id rather push things a bit and race a 25k. I need to find a good Spring goal event to train for so that I can give a good 50k or 50 mile effort.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:54 am 

Any suggestions for starting out trail running with shorter distances? 5K 10K type of things?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:56 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

that is a good goal and a pretty stout pace! I ran a mile full-out a month or so ago and was only able to get 7:12. I dont sprint that often, but I was hoping for faster than that. good luck, i hope you can achieve it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:09 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

that is a good goal and a pretty stout pace! I ran a mile full-out a month or so ago and was only able to get 7:12. I dont sprint that often, but I was hoping for faster than that. good luck, i hope you can achieve it!

I ran one mile @ 6:30 4-5 years ago. Was gassed. That's kind of a goal I have for my son and I would like to do it with him.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:23 am 

Hatchetman wrote:
Any suggestions for starting out trail running with shorter distances? 5K 10K type of things?

well depending on your area, there are more and more shorter distance trail running events popping up. My area has several throughout the year. Typically i would go to runningintheusa.com, which allows you to search for races in your area, and also allows you to filter based on distance, trail/roads, that kind of thing. It is a pretty thorough database of races too. What I have found is that after I entered a few races I started getting Facebook notifications for other local races and now my feed is full of upcoming races. I also belong to a local group, and I hear about a lot of smaller races through them too.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Salerno's
Hatchetman wrote:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:51 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

well depending on your area, there are more and more shorter distance trail running events popping up. My area has several throughout the year. Typically i would go to runningintheusa.com, which allows you to search for races in your area, and also allows you to filter based on distance, trail/roads, that kind of thing. It is a pretty thorough database of races too. What I have found is that after I entered a few races I started getting Facebook notifications for other local races and now my feed is full of upcoming races. I also belong to a local group, and I hear about a lot of smaller races through them too.

Yes that is a good site. Hopefully by end of week the mosquitos will be gone and I can run along the DesPlaines River trail again.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hatchetman wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
[Good luck! I would like to sign up for a 5K this fall and finish in 30 minutes or less. I'd like to do a 10K in the spring and bust an hour. I have a LONG way to go to get there.

I think the single biggest issue for me is time management. You need to set aside an hour pretty much every single day for some sort of training (including showering, changing, etc.). You say, "well, I'll go five days/week." Pretty soon that's three days, then Sundays, then not at all.

That is where I am today. I have no more things that I can use as semi-good excuses not to go everyday. Just have to take it a day at a time. My
biggest challenge isn't making time, it is actually going and when I am there STAYING. I am a clock watcher and I need to stay for at least an hour
instead of wrapping things up early.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next