It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:06 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
I have been running the same route most days for about eight years and I have a lot of little OCD habits when I run. For example, there are certain sidewalk squares I avoid and certain manhole covers I must step on. At one point I pass an animal shelter and I always count the cats in the window. I consider more cats good luck. After I count the cats I tap the keys in my right pocket as many times as there are cats and do that as many times as there are cats. Three cats would be 1-2-3 STOP 1-2-3 STOP 1-2-3. The object is to finish before I cross the alley. Today there were seven cats. As I was going through my routine I saw a cute young woman looking at me like I was insane. The younger me would have been embarrassed, but now I'm just another crazy old man wandering the streets of Rogers Park.

this is og.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:08 pm 

a genius wrote:
This weather has been amazing. Did a trail 50k Sunday and actually got a touch of sunburn :)

I do hope we escape the polar vortex this year. Eyeing the New Orleans marathon in February and would prefer not to have to do the 20-milers in sub-zero weather.

50k? no way. i like running. this is not running. youre power walking. but still cool. but not running.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I'd like to do a 50-mile run just to scoff at all the morons and their car stickers. 13.1 yay for you!!! :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:53 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Ran 2 miles last night in 22 minutes and then lifted for 25 minutes to knock some of the cobwebs off and see how I would feel.
The answer is surprisingly good this morning, at least physically. Currently tipping the scales at 245 so a lot of work to do.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
Hatchetman wrote:
I'd like to do a 50-mile run just to scoff at all the morons and their car stickers. 13.1 yay for you!!! :lol:

Pshaw. My sister runs 100 mile "races." She is also insane.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:36 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Killer V wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Pshaw. My sister runs 100 mile "races." She is also insane.

My wife too; she knocks one out about once a year. She also has a 150 and a 200 on her resume. As for me, 50k is my max. Lacking both the time and the interest in the training.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Slowly started getting back to pounding out the miles after getting consumed by my studies.

Thought I'd finally be able to begin running outside regularly with DST giving us later sunlight. But mother nature screws me over with cold temps and snow :x

Pretty out of shape with around a 9.5 avg when I crank out 5 miles. I fell down the stairs on Saturday leading to a knee. Still managed to bust on 5 on Sunday but it slowed down my pace even more.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
i have been really training my ass off this winter, 150+ miles each of the last 3 months. I am signed up for some big races this year - this weekend i have my first 50k ultra, next month i have my first road marathon, in June i have my first 9-hour timed ultra and next September may be my first 50-miler if everything continues to progress according to plan. I have really engaged with our local trail running group and have been running a lot with them while at the same time keeping up with the road miles. i am in my peak training month right now hitting about 50-55 miles per week and may hit 200 miles in March before tapering down in April for that road marathon.

this has been a GREAT winter for running. good job to all of you who are getting out there and getting the miles in. Springtime is a nice time to get back out there and breathe that fresh air. Kirkwood that's not a bad way to get back into the swing of things, good miles. I have really slowed down my pace in my training and it has REALLY improved my endurance and strangely my speed as well, even though i rarely do any fast runs. Running slow easy pace has really been the key to my improvement, even though it often feels ridiculous while I am doing it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:49 pm 

gone like 5 times since Thanksgiving. love not running but put on 10 lbs.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:16 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
i have been really training my ass off this winter, 150+ miles each of the last 3 months. I am signed up for some big races this year - this weekend i have my first 50k ultra, next month i have my first road marathon, in June i have my first 9-hour timed ultra and next September may be my first 50-miler if everything continues to progress according to plan. I have really engaged with our local trail running group and have been running a lot with them while at the same time keeping up with the road miles. i am in my peak training month right now hitting about 50-55 miles per week and may hit 200 miles in March before tapering down in April for that road marathon.

this has been a GREAT winter for running. good job to all of you who are getting out there and getting the miles in. Springtime is a nice time to get back out there and breathe that fresh air. Kirkwood that's not a bad way to get back into the swing of things, good miles. I have really slowed down my pace in my training and it has REALLY improved my endurance and strangely my speed as well, even though i rarely do any fast runs. Running slow easy pace has really been the key to my improvement, even though it often feels ridiculous while I am doing it.

What ultras are you doing/considering? Good luck this weekend!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:18 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:

Thought I'd finally be able to begin running outside regularly with DST giving us later sunlight. But mother nature screws me over with cold temps and snow :x

You should still force your self to try, especially in March. I ran yesterday and today. Waited a bit yesterday for the sun to do its thing but by 9:30 am the streets were perfectly runnable. Today yes a bit cold going north but the streets were bone dry. The advantage of the March sun!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:06 pm 

im surprised how much i like running indoors on a track. outdoors can be really nice on nice days, but far too many days its much more annoying... windy, cold, hot... plus you get other bullshit things like dogs or kids running out in front of you

in a gym, you know what to expect and theres hot girls to motivate you. they might not know theyre helping me, but they dress the way they need to for it to happen.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 1:58 pm 

a genius wrote:

What ultras are you doing/considering? Good luck this weekend!

thanks - this weekend is a 50k for our trail group only - a lot of those guys and girls are in preparation for the Potowatomi Ultra trail runs coming up in a few weeks. it consists of 15 loops around our local trail running park, mostly wooded single track, moderately hilly but not extreme. it has an 8-hour time limit.

in June i am running the Schuetzen Nein 9-hour endurance run in Davenport IA. it is strictly a timed event with no set distance. i hear it is a pretty demanding course, pretty technical. I have never seen it myself. i think it is made up of 1+ mile hilly loops around the park. it was limited to 40 people to avoid over-crowding.

and finally i am flip-flopping between the 50-mile or 50k event at the Hennepin Hundred this September out in Rock Falls. That is a flat, gravel event, not technical at all. if all goes well on the other 3 races i am skipping over the 50k and going for the 50-miler. it all depends on how i am able to cope with these other races. i may be way out of line in ANY of these races but you dont know until you try. This weekend may be a real wake-up call for me and all of this could be out the window.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:50 pm 

ok im done running until monday. i cant take this anymore, i went another 5k just now and my lower legs are still killing me. i dont know what happened... i haven't been recovering in my off days. work hasn't been too crazy either, so i know its not that.

i remember two weekends ago i started getting sick... that weekend i ran my ass off extra hard to try to knock it out of me... it worked, everyone at work got sick as a dog and i just got a few sniffles and that was it.... but i still have a slightly runny nose and i think my body has put its energy into fighting the virus all week and ignoring my muscles.

i kept my running schedule the last two weeks but this last week has been painful. im throwing in the towel until monday.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:58 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
Tall Midget wrote:
there are so many shoes to choose from and so many models the market is completely flooded. opinions on different shoes differ wildly as well, i got almost no help from reading online shoe reviews. I eventually went to the Naperville Running Company and tried on a bunch for myself. i ended up buying a pair of Hoka Cliftons and loved the cushy ride and the light weight. i paid about $130 for them at the time (over a year ago) and still am putting lots of miles on them (over 500 so far). i now have 3 pairs of Hokas and love them. The Cliftons are my favorite though. very soft ride, good support. i also have a pair of Conquests that have even more support and are very comfortable but they are quite heavy, i could never race in them. good for training runs though. both pairs have been very durable, and i run exclusively on roads.

i recommend going to a running store and trying some out to see what feels best for you. i had a great experience at NRC, they were very helpful. My personal brand of choice is Hoka, but it really is up to the user.

btw - once you go to a brick-and-mortar store and find what you like, there are some great online sites to purchase shoes on, and a lot of times on deep discount. i have saved a lot of money buying subsequent pairs on runningwarehouse.com. they have an amazing 90-day return policy too. it is smart to get that first pair sized and fitted properly at a running store though.

Thanks for the advice regarding the Hokas. I will check them out.

I try to buy locally whenever possible, but I agree that the online discounts are incredibly attractive, especially if you need to replace your shoes frequently.

I finally got a pair of Hoka Arahis and love them. Apparently the Arahi is one of the least cushioned Hokas, but they still feel quite plush compared to the Asics and New Balance I've worn in the past. I've only run in them a few times so far, but my early impression is that this is the best running shoe--by a significant margin--that I've ever tried. The only problem for me is that I have extra wide feet, and even the widest Hoka shoe is still a little narrow in the midfoot. Fortunately, I seem to be stretching the shoe out. Overall, this is a great product. Thanks for the recommendation, MOFO.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:39 pm 

3 miles in 15min.

and man this hurts. i try to run 5k every other day, but i just go by time mainly. minimum 15min, but sometimes 20+.

but i had a rough shit weekend, and hadn't had a drink since sat night... so i felt pretty strong and pissed off today. after the first mile was an easy 5min, i made sure to keep up the pace. 10min mark i was starting to struggle, but knew i was on pace so i bolted for it. god damn that was a rush.

but im in some serious pain now. i hate how my lungs can handle it no problem, i get winded but not really bad... and the moment i stop my breathing slows. but my fucking muscles... been this way since i was a teenager, just not a whole lot there. i mean dont get me wrong im sexy as shit but not going to win any cena lookalike contests.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Slowest time ever doing Shamrock Shuffle, but got it done and enjoyed Revolution afterwords. Looking to do the Rock n Sole Quarter Marathon in June so I can run over the High-Rise Bridge in Milwaukee.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:53 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Zaffiro's
IkeSouth wrote:
3 miles in 15min.

and man this hurts. i try to run 5k every other day, but i just go by time mainly. minimum 15min, but sometimes 20+.

but i had a rough shit weekend, and hadn't had a drink since sat night... so i felt pretty strong and pissed off today. after the first mile was an easy 5min, i made sure to keep up the pace. 10min mark i was starting to struggle, but knew i was on pace so i bolted for it. god damn that was a rush.

but im in some serious pain now. i hate how my lungs can handle it no problem, i get winded but not really bad... and the moment i stop my breathing slows. but my fucking muscles... been this way since i was a teenager, just not a whole lot there. i mean dont get me wrong im sexy as shit but not going to win any cena lookalike contests.

If you can run 5K/3 miles in 15 minutes without seriously training, you missed your calling as an elite distance runner.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:00 am 

Tall Midget wrote:
I finally got a pair of Hoka Arahis and love them. Apparently the Arahi is one of the least cushioned Hokas, but they still feel quite plush compared to the Asics and New Balance I've worn in the past. I've only run in them a few times so far, but my early impression is that this is the best running shoe--by a significant margin--that I've ever tried. The only problem for me is that I have extra wide feet, and even the widest Hoka shoe is still a little narrow in the midfoot. Fortunately, I seem to be stretching the shoe out. Overall, this is a great product. Thanks for the recommendation, MOFO.

funny you should bring this up, because i just recently bough the latest Hoka Clifton 3, and have not been as happy with them as I was with the Clifton 1's that i initially mentioned in here. they are definitely narrow, and they seem unusually heavy when compared to the originals. I have ready a LOT about the Arahi but worried about the lack of cushion. i plan on running in the Clifton 3's for my upcoming marathon, but i may try a different model my next time around. I am glad they are working out for you!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:05 am 

Harvard Dan wrote:
Slowest time ever doing Shamrock Shuffle, but got it done and enjoyed Revolution afterwords. Looking to do the Rock n Sole Quarter Marathon in June so I can run over the High-Rise Bridge in Milwaukee.

i did the Shamrock Shuffle this weekend as well, it was a great race. the weather was better than last year and it was nice to have the sun shining and fairly calm winds as well. Great crowd support this year too, its just a great course and great race environment.

I am pacing a friend down in Pekin this weekend at the 150-mile trail event, im running miles 90-110 with him. most of it will be at night, so that ought to be fun. then in a couple weeks i run the Illinois Marathon in Champaign. This is my first official road marathon so I am excited for that. i have put in a lot of miles this winter and have enjoyed some good races so far this spring. I completed my first trail 50k a few weeks back and I am really hooked on trails and ultra running right now. I am hoping to have a really fun year running some new distances and lots of trails.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:08 am 

Tm-. I do semi serious train. Ive been counting carbs and running 3 times a week for over 5 years now. My body fat has to be well under 10%.... When I started I barely could run a mile and it took me 10 minutes. Everyone tells me I should do races but I'm not a competitive person. I just do this because I hate feeling fat and tired.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:10 am 

maybe if it ever stops raining I will go out for a jog. been a while....

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:04 am 

Starting to get into the groove of running. Weather has been really nice.

Last week totaled 21 miles and this week I'm up to 14. Shooting down to Austin for the weekend where it's high 80s/low 90s. My body will be in for a surprise with that sweltering heat. I enjoy running in monstrous humid heat but the first few days of the season I need to get accustomed to the weather.

Best thing so far is no injuries to report. Usually I get a groin or hammy but I've been fine. Very pleased so far.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:14 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Kirkwood wrote:

Last week totaled 21 miles and this week I'm up to 14. Shooting down to Austin for the weekend where it's high 80s/low 90s. My body will be in for a surprise with that sweltering heat. I enjoy running in monstrous humid heat but the first few days of the season I need to get accustomed to the weather.

Best thing so far is no injuries to report. Usually I get a groin or hammy but I've been fine. Very pleased so far.

I ran last night, about as good as the weather could be. Same thing earlier this week. Very pleasant around 8:00 at night.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:19 am 

way to go Kirkwood, glad you are feeling healthy. as long as you ease into it and don't spike the miles too hard you should remain injury-free. im not really looking forward to the heat and humidity myself, this is a great time of year to run around here.

i completed my first marathon this weekend and it was a real disappointment. i learned a lot, and looking back on my training i think i peaked my mileage a couple weeks to early and could really have benefited from one or two more long runs. As it was i made it and there is some satisfaction from that, but i really hit the wall terribly hard at mile 20 and really had to grit out the last 6.2 miles. I barely cracked 5 hours, after targeting 4:20-4:30. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong. nutrition seemed right on, was taking fluids on schedule, 16 miles in i was right on schedule and then BAM the lights went out without much warning. Those last 6 miles were very hard physically and mentally.

taking a little time off, but I am already eyeballing the Quad Cities Marathon in late September as my return. I am healthy and injury free, and with some training tweaks and a little more strength training i think i can really improve on this showing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:03 pm 

way to go Kirkwood, glad you are feeling healthy. as long as you ease into it and don't spike the miles too hard you should remain injury-free. im not really looking forward to the heat and humidity myself, this is a great time of year to run around here.

i completed my first marathon this weekend and it was a real disappointment. i learned a lot, and looking back on my training i think i peaked my mileage a couple weeks to early and could really have benefited from one or two more long runs. As it was i made it and there is some satisfaction from that, but i really hit the wall terribly hard at mile 20 and really had to grit out the last 6.2 miles. I barely cracked 5 hours, after targeting 4:20-4:30. I am still trying to figure out what went wrong. nutrition seemed right on, was taking fluids on schedule, 16 miles in i was right on schedule and then BAM the lights went out without much warning. Those last 6 miles were very hard physically and mentally.

taking a little time off, but I am already eyeballing the Quad Cities Marathon in late September as my return. I am healthy and injury free, and with some training tweaks and a little more strength training i think i can really improve on this showing.

One's first marathon is tough. Barring injury or weather I wager on your next one you knock 20 minutes off this one.

Congratulations!

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:25 pm 

Kirkwood wrote:

groove lost over the past 2 weeks since this post. went out for maybe 4th time in may this saturday and now i got a hammy.

world is against me.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:32 am 

took a long weekend visiting land of the SUN!!! AZ,,,!!!!

did some trail running and got destroyed. typically i can crank 5-7 miles easily around here without water. just leave it in my car or house and drink when i finish the workout.

first attempt - run 2.5 miles. stop. need water. turn around before i heat stroke on top of a "mountain".

second attempt - bought knockoff camelbak - excellent decision. was able to drink while running. however, still had to stop. out of breath during some inclines. running uphill kicked my ass. overall ran the trail there and back for total of 6.5 miles.

third attempt - cancel before starting - calves are sore as fuck. holy shit does trail running with inclines beat the hell outta ya.

i generally never stop in the middle of a run but i had to during some inclines. it just beats the hell out of my flatlander legs. earlier this spring ran 13 miles on flat toronto lakefront as i wanted to explore their shoreline. the day after the TO run was no where close to the soreness of the AZ one.

great workout. would love to do some more. though it'll be a while until i get back to LAND of SUN!!!!

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 11:47 am 

Been a huge slacker the last year or so. Haven't been out running forever. My daughter who is rehabbing from ACL surgery has been told by her physical trainer to start going out and doing work at our track. Jog straight aways and walk the curves. I been going out with her. Did 30 mins the last 2 days of jogging and walking. Holy cow I am out of shape. Seems like ages ago that I was jogging 3 to 5 miles a couple times a week.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 6:19 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Been a huge slacker the last year or so. Haven't been out running forever. My daughter who is rehabbing from ACL surgery has been told by her physical trainer to start going out and doing work at our track. Jog straight aways and walk the curves. I been going out with her. Did 30 mins the last 2 days of jogging and walking. Holy cow I am out of shape. Seems like ages ago that I was jogging 3 to 5 miles a couple times a week.

It's weird how quick you lose "it". Takes months to get on top and only a few weeks to go back to shit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 22  Next