It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:54 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
RFDC wrote:
W_Z wrote:
i don't recommend running in humidity.

How do you avoid humidity in the midwest?

I get it is not ideal, but if you avoid running in humidity you are going to be on the sidelines for a large portion of the year

Basically have to run at sunrise. At least the oppressive heat isn’t beating you up yet.

This. Also try trail running. Forest canopy can make it feel much cooler. But then of course there are the mosquitoes...

Bottom line, if you train for a fall event (like the Chicago Marathon) you run in the humidity.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:57 pm 

I enjoy running in the evenings after the sun has went down. But there is still humidity. You cannot get away from it, but you can lessen it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
I would love to pick up running again, but if I get any skinnier....

If you live in Chicago, run right on the lake on the South Side. Less humidity, great view, sometimes a breeze.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
tommy wrote:

If you live in Chicago, run right on the lake on the South Side. Less humidity, great view, sometimes a breeze.

I think I may start running the Hennepin canal parkway. It’s close, it’s in shade and it’s not pavement so maybe my knees won’t rebel.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm 

a genius wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
RFDC wrote:
W_Z wrote:
i don't recommend running in humidity.

How do you avoid humidity in the midwest?

I get it is not ideal, but if you avoid running in humidity you are going to be on the sidelines for a large portion of the year

Basically have to run at sunrise. At least the oppressive heat isn’t beating you up yet.

This. Also try trail running. Forest canopy can make it feel much cooler. But then of course there are the mosquitoes...

Bottom line, if you train for a fall event (like the Chicago Marathon) you run in the humidity.

i had to give up outdoor running when it just got too hot. ran on a treadmill. it's not the same, to be sure; but it gets the job done, especially in training. just gotta be careful with it.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:

I think I may start running the Hennepin canal parkway. It’s close, it’s in shade and it’s not pavement so maybe my knees won’t rebel.

Still ain't never been there....keep meaning to turn in when driving past....

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 8:39 pm 

tommy wrote:

I literally was just telling my sons how I now wish that I hadn't run on the streets and bike paths (or hoop on concrete/asphalt) for years.

But you're definitely right. Through the lakefront in Burnham Park is a scenic, cooler and landmark filled run.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
tommy wrote:

i run the Hennepin canal from time to time, running out and backs starting in Rock Falls. Its a good trail, but it can get tedious running mile after mile after mile along what appears to be endless long boring stretches. And the mosquitos out there are ferocious right now if you go in the afternoon/evening. That canal is a prime breeding ground. Trail running in the woods is terrific during the hot summer months during the day, but again, if you go out there in the afternoon/evening you had better keep moving our you will get eaten alive.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:26 pm 

I live about three miles from canal so it just seems so logical. We fish it from time to time and yeah, no bueno in evenings unless the wind is up. I started a little road running earlier and some days the knees weren’t happy with me. Back in my youth we ran the prairie path and I remember it being a bit nicer than road running.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
we have kind of an informal running group on fridays at 6:00. I skip it a lot b/c i'm not a BIGFAN of getting up at 5:30. Anyway there is group A that runs like 8 minute miles (4-5 miles) and group B that runs 9:30ish miles (where I reside at the moment). last night one of the hardcore A guys had a massive heart attack and is in a coma. this guy is like 50? big frame but long-time runner. ran track in college. couple kids in high school. sad situation. makes you think this guy was in good shape: any of us can go at any moment.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:33 pm 

been getting back in the swing of things lately. Struggling to find shoes that do not seem to wear out quickly without spending a ton of money. I have normally done well in Nikes but the last pair I got the the soles wore a hole in them super quick. I went with a pair of New Balance trail running shoes. Really like them. They are comfortable and so far seem to have a really strong sole.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Geo's Pizza
RFDC wrote:
been getting back in the swing of things lately. Struggling to find shoes that do not seem to wear out quickly without spending a ton of money. I have normally done well in Nikes but the last pair I got the the soles wore a hole in them super quick. I went with a pair of New Balance trail running shoes. Really like them. They are comfortable and so far seem to have a really strong sole.

They are expensive, but I've been running with Saucony shoes for a while now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:44 pm 

My 13 yo daughter ran a 5:30 mile and I'm not sure how I'll react when she beats my best mile time of 5:18.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:46 pm 

RFDC wrote:

I ran hard in Nikes for 25 years and never heard of or had that happen. What kind of terrain do you run on?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:47 pm 

Crystal Lake Hoffy wrote:
My 13 yo daughter ran a 5:30 mile and I'm not sure how I'll react when she beats my best mile time of 5:18.

With pride. Nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:48 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I ran hard in Nikes for 25 years and never heard of or had that happen. What kind of terrain do you run on?

yeah maybe I just got a lemon pair... I have always had good luck with Nikes as well. I run mainly at a local walking trail that has asphalt and some dirt spots.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:52 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Nikes' running shoes are great as long as you don't run in them.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

yeah maybe I just got a lemon pair... I have always had good luck with Nikes as well. I run mainly at a local walking trail that has asphalt and some dirt spots.

In fairness, the quality of Nikes has fallen off precipitously in the last 10 years. I have a pair that really disappoint, but I'm too cheap to throw them away.

It seemed that there was nothing I could do to wear out various Pegasus' when I ran 50-60 miles a week. But then again my knees now say otherwise. :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:54 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

With pride. Nice!

I was really proud to be honest. She got my stamina. Her school had a 24-hour run event and she did 22 miles. Would have made 24 but the team wasn't fast enough to give her the chance. Unfortunately, she also inherited my inability to sprint and comes in last with short track races.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:56 pm 

I had Nike running shoes in the early 90's and they would fall apart regularly. Haven't bought a pair since. I ran with Asics for a while before I ended up with Saucony and haven't looked back.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:58 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

With pride. Nice!

I was really proud to be honest. She got my stamina. Her school had a 24-hour run event and she did 22 miles. Would have made 24 but the team wasn't fast enough to give her the chance. Unfortunately, she also inherited my inability to sprint and comes in last with short track races.

The best time I had running was when I grew and no longer had to run the mile or two mile run. By college it was 400 800 or nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I was a Nike person for about 30 or so years but their quality has really gone down. My shoes sucked after 6 months or so and I don't run, everything jiggles. It was light use and the kids shoes were falling apart after 3 months or so. I switched a while back and like brooks now.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:02 pm 

I had Nike running shoes in the early 90's and they would fall apart regularly. Haven't bought a pair since. I ran with Asics for a while before I ended up with Saucony and haven't looked back.

It's funny, my HS team raced in Asics (then Tiger) spikes, and back then Saucony shoes were like cheap tissue.

1983 was a long ass time ago though. :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:05 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:
RFDC wrote:

I was a Nike person for about 30 or so years but their quality has really gone down. My shoes sucked after 6 months or so and I don't run, everything jiggles. It was light use and the kids shoes were falling apart after 3 months or so. I switched a while back and like brooks now.

It shocked me when my youngest swore off Nike. And bitched about his college team switching away from crappy Adidas.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:08 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

It's funny, my HS team raced in Asics (then Tiger) spikes, and back then Saucony shoes were like cheap tissue.

:lol: I don't want to even think about the 80s being that long of a time ago. But yeah, they've been good for me.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:13 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

:lol: I don't want to even think about the 80s being that long of a time ago. But yeah, they've been good for me.

I still fondly remember the times hanging out with DePaul players and games. Or under aged drinking with them. And how it seemed natural.

Glorious!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:18 pm 

That was a different DePaul team. I was about a decade ahead of you so I would have been hanging out with Tom Kleinschmidt or Quentin Richardson.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:22 pm 

That was a different DePaul team. I was about a decade ahead of you so I would have been hanging out with Tom Kleinschmidt or Quentin Richardson.

Just as well paid as Joey's guys. I hope :D

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:44 pm 

I switched from Nuke to Adidas for casual shoes a few years ago but fun in either acis or Mizuno’s depending. I do have a couple pair of Adidas trail running shoes hat I haven’t gotten around to running in but they seem solid. Knees seem to be my biggest obstacle these years. That and motivation.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:15 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
I too switched from Nike to Asics, for the same reasons.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22  Next