It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
completed the Illinois Marathon relay Saturday in the shitty rain and wind. I ran the first leg and about a mile in the route turned right into the teeth of the wind and it started dumping down rain pretty much for the rest of the day. the rain ranged from steady shower to absolute deluge off and on throughout our race. i cleared my 6.7 in just over 55 minutes and set my 10k PR in 51 flat despite the conditions. i was pretty shocked by that because it was a hard miserable run but i think the misery must have been motivating me to hurry the hell up. we were among the very last to finish before they suspended the race due to lightening.

all in all i think it was a well-run event and now i am eyeballing it as a possible 1st full marathon for me next spring. i have a bunch of 5k's lined up for the next couple months and then the Quad Cities half in September.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 6:16 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
man of few opinions wrote:
completed the Illinois Marathon relay Saturday in the shitty rain and wind. I ran the first leg and about a mile in the route turned right into the teeth of the wind and it started dumping down rain pretty much for the rest of the day. the rain ranged from steady shower to absolute deluge off and on throughout our race. i cleared my 6.7 in just over 55 minutes and set my 10k PR in 51 flat despite the conditions. i was pretty shocked by that because it was a hard miserable run but i think the misery must have been motivating me to hurry the hell up. we were among the very last to finish before they suspended the race due to lightening.

all in all i think it was a well-run event and now i am eyeballing it as a possible 1st full marathon for me next spring. i have a bunch of 5k's lined up for the next couple months and then the Quad Cities half in September.

Good work; I know a few marathoners that were pulled from the course because of the storms. The good people of Champaign let them take refuge in their houses until the buses could come get them.

I may do it next year too, but it sounds like you would be done and half way back to Chicago by the time I finish :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 8:21 am 

after we had finished and taken a few photos and gotten back to the car it was really raining, i mean just torrential downpours. they had closed the course so there was traffic on all the roads, and we were working our way back to our hotel. we had to cross the course and there were still runners coming through, they refused to quit when they postponed the race. we were probably at about mile 23 or 24 at a stop sign letting these runners have right of way, and it was a sight to see. these people were fighting the traffic and the weather and a bunch of people were rolling down their windows cheering them on, it was pretty inspirational. a bunch of the volunteers were still out there too trying to route them through the traffic the best they could and get them up on the sidewalks. i hope they let those poor souls in and gave them their medals.

yeah, i have to do a full one of these days, that really pumped me up.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Last weekend was awful. Race To Wrigley was cold, rain, and just utter shit. Surprisingly, I paced 9:05...I'll take that any day.

I have 2 weeks until the Chicagoland Spring Marathon in Schaumburg. I'm finding myself in a shoe dilemna. In 2013 I switched to Brooks Ghosts. Light shoe...really great, but was hoping for a touch more cushion. From there I went to Brooks Ravenna. It's a heavier shoe but had decent cushion. I just switched to the Glycerin and what a disappointment!!! I expected way more cushion and it's not there, yet it's heavier than the Ravenna.

I'm going back to the Ghosts and just wasted $90 on a pair of Glycerins...fuck.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 10:23 am 

I bought a pair of Hoka Cliftons and they have been outstanding, super-light (unbelievably so), super cushioned and they are just awesome to run in. i use them specifically for race day and long training runs and am currently looking to pick up another pair for day-to-day training. I have a couple hundred miles on the Cliftons and so far so good, but i can't speak from experience on how long they will hold up.

i am 6'4" 194 so i wanted something cushioned and hit the jackpot with these (for me anyway). for a cushioned, lightweight ride you should try on a pair of these and see what you think. i also saw on runnerswarehouse.com that there are a bunch of other Hoka models on clearance for as much as 50% off, but i like to actually try shoes on before i buy, so i will probably head back to the Naperville Running Co. to try them on first.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:52 am 

http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/hoka-o ... ifton-mens

Damn...that looks worth a try.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I want to do a marathon one day. but its going to be MY marathon. I am not paying someone to let me run down the street. What a scam. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:00 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
http://www.runnersworld.com/shoe/hoka-one-one-clifton-mens

Damn...that looks worth a try.

what shoes work for you is a pretty individual thing, and i would always suggest trying them on somewhere before purchasing them, but these things are the goods in my opinion. i can tell you that when i went to try mine on and they brought out the box and handed it to me, i thought they had accidentally handed me an empty box. the visual of the shoe and the weight of the shoe just don't match up, its crazy. they look and feel perfect to me still, and i have probably 150-200 miles on them, and i hope i can get 500+ when all is said and done.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:35 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I want to do a marathon one day. but its going to be MY marathon. I am not paying someone to let me run down the street. What a scam. :lol:

i get what you are saying, but i disagree. to be in a race environment and be around other runners, many of whom are way better than me, and compete is something I can't replicate just going on a long training run either by myself or with a small group. the race experience is what motivates me to run every day, if i didn't have that I would be less likely to keep interested.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Obviously most agree with you, but I am more principled. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 5:53 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
there are few better running situations than at dusk or dawn when it's foggy. last night the temp was perfect and the fog mellowed all the street lamps. loved it.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 7:30 am 

that does make for some nice running. last night i was out and in the distance i could see lightening flashing and hear the slight rumble of thunder but i decided to go for a second lap around the neighborhood (about 3.5 miles). with about a mile to go the skies opened up and it just dumped on me all the way home, and it felt GREAT. i think had it not been lightening i would have gone another lap, that rain was very refreshing and i was already soaked anyway.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:52 am 

I love to run in the rain. The problem is I am always listening to music on my phone and do not want it to get soaked.

Been slow getting started on the couch to 5k program, but have lost 10 lbs already from adjustments to diet and the few times I have been able to get out.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I did 2.25 on the treadmill yesterday and feel well enough to get back in there and do some more.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:13 am 

Chicagoland Spring Marathon in Schaumburg this Sunday....I'll be there, but likely be dropped dead at mile 15.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 8:17 am 

good luck on your marathon, i hope it goes well for you. i have a neighborhood 5k I'm running Saturday, i hope to crack 23 minutes for the first time. I'm fighting a bad cold this week, i hope it clears up a bit between now and then.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:53 pm 

Good luck everybody and have fun. No dropping dead allowed.

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 6:56 pm 

http://www.iceagetrail50.com/

Did this this past weekend. The wife did the 50 miler, I the 50k (they call the 50k a "diaper dash" :lol: ). It's tough, but there is nothing like trail running.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:07 am 

I need the weather to perk up. It's been too damn cold and windy. If it's going to be mid 50s low 60s I need some humidity at least

Last night I ran 7 miles and I freezing my ass off. I went against wearing gloves and was bitching myself out by the middle of the run.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:15 am 

a genius wrote:
http://www.iceagetrail50.com/

Did this this past weekend. The wife did the 50 miler, I the 50k (they call the 50k a "diaper dash" :lol: ). It's tough, but there is nothing like trail running.

nice job to both of you. i had a friend in that race i was going to go cheer on, but it being mother's day weekend and all i couldn't get up there.

I like the "diaper dash" 50k race, thats funny. The Barkley 100-miler, which is regarded as one of the toughest ultras anywhere, consists of 5 20-mile loops through the harshest back-woods terrain in eastern Tennessee. They also have a 3-loop 60 miler they lovingly refer to as the "Fun Run". that 100-miler is tough that only a handful of people in the last 30 years have finished it. most people are happy to just get one loop in.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:18 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
I need the weather to perk up. It's been too damn cold and windy. If it's going to be mid 50s low 60s I need some humidity at least

Last night I ran 7 miles and I freezing my ass off. I went against wearing gloves and was bitching myself out by the middle of the run.

kirkwood, thats funny to hear you say that, because I'm just the opposite. i run so hot i love 30's-50's. warmer than that and i get very uncomfortable. i ran 7 last night in shorts and a t-shirt and was drenched with sweat afterwards. i dread the oncoming summer months when it comes to running.

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 7:29 am 

Kirkwood wrote:

kirkwood, thats funny to hear you say that, because I'm just the opposite. i run so hot i love 30's-50's. warmer than that and i get very uncomfortable. i ran 7 last night in shorts and a t-shirt and was drenched with sweat afterwards. i dread the oncoming summer months when it comes to running.

seeing as 9/12s of the year it's under 60 i understand i'm the outlier in my demands.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:57 am 

Ran a 5k this weekend, did OK. Only really died the last 1/2 mile, but didn't walk. I am having issues trying to find a set running schedule during the week. I have days where I can run a long time, and other days I can't even get through a mile. I tried running every other day, a little each day, 3 miles every third day but I cant find anything that works. Is it possible to train for a 5k without actually running a full 3 miles all at once during the week? Any ideas on how to be able to run more often? My issues are with the top of my foot, and I got a hip sometimes. When those flare up, I am done.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:58 am 

glad to hear you were able to finish the 5k, nice job. i'm a pretty new runner and don't have any history of injury so would be hard for me to offer up too many suggestions other than a couple. first of all, what are the condition of your shoes? old, or poorly fitting shoes can lead to hip discomfort. as a matter of fact that is usually my clue that i have worn a pair out, minor knee and hip pain. the other suggestion would be to ask a sports physician or a physical therapist. usually running through discomfort isn't going to help too much.

i had a 5k this weekend too, it was very humid and i went out very hard looking for a PR on a pretty flat course, but i couldn't hold the pace and really crashed and burned at about mile 2.5. i have another in a couple weeks, and i will try to run a smarter race then.

anyone ever run a Ragnar Relay? i have been invited to join a team for the Ragnar Chicago 2016 race. it starts in Madison WI and ends on the Chicago lakefront. its a 12-man team so each individual runs basically 15-25 miles (depending on your level of fitness) total across 2 days to make the 200 mile distance. Im intrigued, i think I'm going to do it.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:15 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Due to various factors professionally but mostly my excuse making and terrible eating I fell off the running bandwagon. Recent visit to the doc had me pre diabetic ( :shock: :shock: ) which has provided the impetus to get my ass moving again. So today was my first run in about a year, 3 miles in 30 minutes. legs are killing me now but feels good. Will work my way up to 5 -7 mile runs in a few weeks. Weigh in today was 200 which for my frame is way too much. Goal is 180 by August. That and diet changes should do the trick and get my blood sugar back to normal.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 1:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Piece Pizza and Brewery
Good luck BRogue

I'm finally hopping back on the running bandwagon after essentially no running since the 2013 Chicago Marathon. I think I'm going to sign up for a Turkey Trot something or another Half Marathon in November to keep myself motivated.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
glad to hear you were able to finish the 5k, nice job. i'm a pretty new runner and don't have any history of injury so would be hard for me to offer up too many suggestions other than a couple. first of all, what are the condition of your shoes? old, or poorly fitting shoes can lead to hip discomfort. as a matter of fact that is usually my clue that i have worn a pair out, minor knee and hip pain. the other suggestion would be to ask a sports physician or a physical therapist. usually running through discomfort isn't going to help too much.

i had a 5k this weekend too, it was very humid and i went out very hard looking for a PR on a pretty flat course, but i couldn't hold the pace and really crashed and burned at about mile 2.5. i have another in a couple weeks, and i will try to run a smarter race then.

anyone ever run a Ragnar Relay? i have been invited to join a team for the Ragnar Chicago 2016 race. it starts in Madison WI and ends on the Chicago lakefront. its a 12-man team so each individual runs basically 15-25 miles (depending on your level of fitness) total across 2 days to make the 200 mile distance. Im intrigued, i think I'm going to do it.

I'm running this year and I am running #2 in the team. I have the slowest time per mile and will run 4.5/4.5/6.21 for my legs. At the moment my run start times are 5:53 AM Friday 6/12, 5:04 PM same day, and 2:12AM on Saturday 6/13. Looking forward to it as my legs include leaving Madison, running through campus of Caroll College, and then going from Racine into Kenosha (that'll be fun at 2 AM on a Friday/Saturday).

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:05 pm 

+1 on checking the shoes. Get fitted at a running store. Also if you are doing a treadmill, stop. Run outside instead.

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 7:07 pm 

Harvard Dan wrote:

I'm running this year and I am running #2 in the team. I have the slowest time per mile and will run 4.5/4.5/6.21 for my legs. At the moment my run start times are 5:53 AM Friday 6/12, 5:04 PM same day, and 2:12AM on Saturday 6/13. Looking forward to it as my legs include leaving Madison, running through campus of Caroll College, and then going from Racine into Kenosha (that'll be fun at 2 AM on a Friday/Saturday).

The wife did it a few years ago. She loved it, but apparently not enough to do it again.

And you might want to try to figure out how to run faster, at least for the 2am tour of Racine. Be careful. You could literally get shot.

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2015 7:24 am 

Monday early evening it was sooooo freaking windy. I was getting very frustrated/pissed when I scooted around for 4 miles.

I wanted to do another 2-3 mile loop but I hadn't run in a week plus the wind was killing me.

I've come to the realization I'm a running diva. :|

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 22  Next