It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 1:02 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Amateur here. I run in basketball sneakers - that's all I've ever known when it comes to athletic footwear mostly. Is this a recipe for disaster? I try to do 4-6 miles each day for six days out of the week.

When I first started running I wore a pair of Adidas like the ones Run DMC wore. It's not going to kill you, but you'll be surprised at how much easier it is with a pair of proper running shoes.

So, here's a question for you guys. I finish up my run by going through a park and then a large field that belongs to my building. I like finishing that way because there are berms back there and it's a good end to the workout. Anyway, a lot of times when I'm coming across the field this broad has a crazy standard poodle running around off leash out there.

The first time I encountered it, it ran into me at full speed and nearly knocked me down. Needless to say I was annoyed. The idiot owner's kid came running to get the dog and I said something like, "Come on, put that thing on a leash" and the kid grabbed the dog.

The next time I saw the dog the kid and what I assumed to be his grandfather had him loose out there. The fucker came charging at me again, stripping his teeth, and growling in his throat. I stopped and this time I yelled at the old man and said I was going to kick the dog in his head next time he came at me like that. I have no doubt if I had kept running the thing would have bitten me. And then one of the owners would get that dog owner smile and say something like, "Oh, he's just playing." And look, I don't hate dogs. I just shouldn't have to deal with one snapping at my heels behind my house. There are plenty of dog parks.

Then, about a week ago, the fucker actually grabbed my jacket with his teeth. I looked at the idiot broad and said, "Come on! I shouldn't have to deal with this." She got this psuedo-sympathetic look and nodded and said, "I know."

Today I was finishing strong and suddenly I hear deep growling and barking and the fucker is right on top of me. I stopped and started going nuts. "PUT THAT MOTHERFUCKER ON A LEASH!!!!! YOU STUPID FUCKERS!!! NEXT TIME I WILL MACE THAT COCKSUCKER RIGHT IN HIS FACE!" The broad and the kid scrambled to collect him.

My question is, what do I really do? I really don't want to mace the dog. It's not his fault he has never been trained. I'd like to mace the broad, but I don't want to get arrested. What would you do?

Option 1) Run with a bottle of Gatorade; Dump it on the dog. The lady won't be happy cleaning the dog and will hopefully keep him away from you in the future.

Option 2) Run with a cell phone. If he is unleashed and is aggressive to you, call the cops.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:38 am 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
a genius wrote:

DISASTER. Go to a running store (not footlocker -- a real running store) and get fitted in a proper pair of running shoes. Once you settle on a pair you are happy with then order the replacements on line (i.e http://www.runningwarehouse.com/); cheaper, free shipping, no sales tax.

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

When I first started running I wore a pair of Adidas like the ones Run DMC wore. It's not going to kill you, but you'll be surprised at how much easier it is with a pair of proper running shoes.

Thanks all, will look into it.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:49 am 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
+1 on runningwarehouse.com. you can save a lot buying last years model of any particular shoe as well. I found some Ascis Gel Nimbus 15's (last years model) for $75, the 16's are going for $125 or so. I'm not a good enough runner to know the difference, but i love the 15's. i would imagine the same can be said for all shoe manufacturers.

i have been running pretty well these days, i really enjoy running in the cooler/cold weather. i have been doing 35 miles per week the last month or so and (knock on wood) have felt great, no aches or pains. with several of my friends having competed in marathons this fall I have to admit the idea is starting to grow on me so i hope to log a large base of miles this winter and get up into the 40-45 miles per week territory by spring and see how I am feeling at that point. maybe start thinking about a spring half and a fall '15 full marathon. for now just a lot of training miles and 5k and 10k racing.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:25 pm 

man of few opinions wrote:
+1 on runningwarehouse.com. you can save a lot buying last years model of any particular shoe as well. I found some Ascis Gel Nimbus 15's (last years model) for $75, the 16's are going for $125 or so. I'm not a good enough runner to know the difference, but i love the 15's. i would imagine the same can be said for all shoe manufacturers.

i have been running pretty well these days, i really enjoy running in the cooler/cold weather. i have been doing 35 miles per week the last month or so and (knock on wood) have felt great, no aches or pains. with several of my friends having competed in marathons this fall I have to admit the idea is starting to grow on me so i hope to log a large base of miles this winter and get up into the 40-45 miles per week territory by spring and see how I am feeling at that point. maybe start thinking about a spring half and a fall '15 full marathon. for now just a lot of training miles and 5k and 10k racing.

35 miles per week you could start your marathon training program today and be ready to run one in 18 weeks.

Saturday long runs are the key. http://www.halhigdon.com/training/51137 ... ng-Program

Training for a spring marathon is great; helps keep the weight off and gives you something to look forward to through the winter.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:07 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Baracco's
offer the dog a treat rigged with a heavy load of miralax

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2014 12:39 am 

JORR, pepper spray then kick the shit out of that damn dog. Then mace the hell out of his adult walker/owner.

But, in the spirit of this thread, I actually ran awhile today despite years of chronic knee pain. Tomorrow I may try a mile/mile & a half or so.

Damn that sounds sorry...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:22 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
Amateur here. I run in basketball sneakers - that's all I've ever known when it comes to athletic footwear mostly. Is this a recipe for disaster? I try to do 4-6 miles each day for six days out of the week.

So, here's a question for you guys. I finish up my run by going through a park and then a large field that belongs to my building. I like finishing that way because there are berms back there and it's a good end to the workout. Anyway, a lot of times when I'm coming across the field this broad has a crazy standard poodle running around off leash out there.

The first time I encountered it, it ran into me at full speed and nearly knocked me down. Needless to say I was annoyed. The idiot owner's kid came running to get the dog and I said something like, "Come on, put that thing on a leash" and the kid grabbed the dog.

The next time I saw the dog the kid and what I assumed to be his grandfather had him loose out there. The fucker came charging at me again, stripping his teeth, and growling in his throat. I stopped and this time I yelled at the old man and said I was going to kick the dog in his head next time he came at me like that. I have no doubt if I had kept running the thing would have bitten me. And then one of the owners would get that dog owner smile and say something like, "Oh, he's just playing." And look, I don't hate dogs. I just shouldn't have to deal with one snapping at my heels behind my house. There are plenty of dog parks.

Then, about a week ago, the fucker actually grabbed my jacket with his teeth. I looked at the idiot broad and said, "Come on! I shouldn't have to deal with this." She got this psuedo-sympathetic look and nodded and said, "I know."

Today I was finishing strong and suddenly I hear deep growling and barking and the fucker is right on top of me. I stopped and started going nuts. "PUT THAT MOTHERFUCKER ON A LEASH!!!!! YOU STUPID FUCKERS!!! NEXT TIME I WILL MACE THAT COCKSUCKER RIGHT IN HIS FACE!" The broad and the kid scrambled to collect him.

My question is, what do I really do? I really don't want to mace the dog. It's not his fault he has never been trained. I'd like to mace the broad, but I don't want to get arrested. What would you do?

Hit him with the purse that you hold your mace in

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:26 pm 

or try to understand it like you would a family member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:30 pm 

I run 3.2 miles as that is the distance from my house to the path and one up and back on the path. I thought I was doing pretty well. All of you guys put me to shame.

There was a community alert of a naked guy running on the path who grabbed a woman's butt. It wasn't me.

I don't see where you guys find the time for all this exercise. I'd be lucky to get 4 days in a week that weren't packed from the time I woke up until the time I fell asleep. My only solution was to wake up at like 4 am to run. I tried it. Fuck that noise.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:33 pm 

GD the only time i can get my miles in are at night after the kids get settled in. usually get on the road around 930 pm. luckily the neighborhood is well-lit and the roads are in good shape. no way im getting up early, i have a hard enough time getting up in the morning now.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
This is the first winter I've run outdoors. It helps that it's been mild so far, but I've also invested in some decent outdoor running clothes...helps a lot.
The short days of sunlight. make it difficult, so I'm simply hoping for 4 outdoor runs per month.

I'll agree with the others on proper running shoes. Most of the shoe companies have over-marketed and turned shoes into overpriced fashion statements. Once you know what kind of shoe you need, you can get deals on discontinued / previous year models.

Runner's Edge has stores in Libertyville and Wilmette. It is worth every penny to see a store like that and learn about how you run and the right shoe.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:16 am 

redskingreg wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:
Got my first outdoor run in months. 4 miles on Saturday felt so good. Fuck off winter.

Once I stop working 60 hours/week and the weather turns, I'll be hitting the pavement. Can't wait!

as long as you hit the middle of the pavement and stay down there i cant wait either

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 3:20 am 

good dolphin wrote:
I run 3.2 miles as that is the distance from my house to the path and one up and back on the path. I thought I was doing pretty well. All of you guys put me to shame.

There was a community alert of a naked guy running on the path who grabbed a woman's butt. It wasn't me.

I don't see where you guys find the time for all this exercise. I'd be lucky to get 4 days in a week that weren't packed from the time I woke up until the time I fell asleep. My only solution was to wake up at like 4 am to run. I tried it. Fuck that noise.

i dont like running in the morning either. kills my hangover buzz. but 3.2 miles is good, especially if you are pushing yourself and not just casually jogging.

i think running is fantastic for health, but like anything you can overdo it and cause more problems that you wanted to solve. i think 10 miles a week is plenty to keep your system elevated... or less if you do other activity like basketball

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:25 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
took my seven year old son on a three mile run yesterday. he only had to walk a couple of minutes in there. pretty soon he'll blowing by me.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:54 am 

i just got back from a 2 week florida vacation yesterday, and couldn't wait to run in the cold air again. running in that humidity down there sucked, even if the temps were pleasant otherwise. i run much better in the winter cold than in the warm weather. i went for a 7-miler last night after driving all day and it felt great.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:04 pm 

8 miles this morning in the slop. But with the cold coming this week I wanted to get it in.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:25 pm 

i can't wait to run through this cold this week - fuck yeah. wednesday night will be a treat.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:09 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
i just got back from a 2 week florida vacation yesterday, and couldn't wait to run in the cold air again. running in that humidity down there sucked, even if the temps were pleasant otherwise. i run much better in the winter cold than in the warm weather. i went for a 7-miler last night after driving all day and it felt great.

I'm just the opposite. It can never be too hot or humid for me. I love running long on the hottest days. I can get real loose. I have to force myself to get out there on the cold days. But I've been running outside year round for over 30 years. A friend of mine that I used to run with would wear shorts except for on the very coldest days. He liked to say, "The runner's legs reach 106 degrees." It's become a joke within a certain group of us. I tore off a strong 5-miler this morning, less than 45 minutes in spite of dancing over a shitload of icy sidewalks. -3 F but not much wind. Not too bad.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:16 am 

below 15 or so, its no fun going out there. you freeze at first and then are boiling at the end.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 10:50 am 

logged 4 miles Saturday and 4 miles Sunday. Both days I went to indoor track. I can deal with the cold, but unplowed roads...no way.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:03 pm 
Site Admin

wdelaney72 wrote:
logged 4 miles Saturday and 4 miles Sunday. Both days I went to indoor track. I can deal with the cold, but unplowed roads...no way.

For me, the problem with running indoors on an oval is that I can't get into "the zone". I'm constantly counting the laps and always very conscious of how far I have to go.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 3:20 pm 

This is where I trust my pace...I forget about lap counting and just let the tunes play and stop at 40 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:26 am 
Site Admin

First time in shorts in 2015. The runner's legs reach 106 degrees!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:29 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I am about ready to get outside. Some of the side walks still have snow piles, but I think they will be gone after today. I have been diligent this winter as I have kicked up my workouts to be ready for the nice weather.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:51 am 

I've been out consistently since 3/1, which is awesome! Trails are still not ready, but street running has been great...most of snow is clear.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:08 am 

I won't do the streets. People drive too crazy. We have several miles of paths, and while I hate treadmills, I am not willing to run on dimly lit streets. I typically run at night.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:20 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

Oh, I'm the opposite, within reason. Yeah, some late August humidity really did me in, but for the most part, I run much better in the heat than in the cold. I'm looking forward to some 7-milers myself down in Florida.

I don't like treadmills either. I need to be going somewhere, I need to see stuff, I need fresh air.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:29 am 

The only way I get by on treadmills is by having the Bulls or Hawks on. That passes the time if you immerse yourself in the game.

I prefer cool weather to the heat.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:44 pm 

the weather this week has been awesome for running. i was able to make it through the winter running outdoors 5 nights a week, and this winter was a piece of cake compared to last year. im up to about 35 miles per week and have a slate of spring races that starts on Saturday morning with the local st. patricks day 5k. i am hoping to crush my 5k PR in that one, the weather is looking like it will be ideal. after that i am taking part in the Illinois Marathon as part of a relay team, running a 7 mile leg, and then a bunch of 10ks this spring and summer.

i keep toying with the idea of marathon training, but to be honest i think i found my sweet spot with the 10k-half marathon distance. i keep cranking up the long runs (i got in 15 last saturday) but i don't know, much longer than that and i start getting bored. i think i like the idea of improving my times on the shorter distances. i hope to break 24 minutes saturday morning, thats my goal.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2015 12:49 pm 

soon as the weather turned warm enough for me to get out running, I catch a cold. I'm sure next week it will be raining. the stars have to be in alignment for me to get up 30 minutes early to go out there.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22  Next