It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Running
PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:38 pm 

pizza_Place: Baranabyis
Same. I get wiped out like that.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Tombstone
it looks like another soggy Saturday at the Illinois Marathon in Champaigne this weekend. I ran in driving rain down there last year and more of the same is in the forecast this year. I am running the marathon relay with 3 friends, i will be running the 2nd 7-mile leg. I am hoping to achieve my 10k PR during my leg (sub-50 i hope) and then drag my ass home the rest of the way. I have been able to pack on some really good miles lately so i should be in good shape to run a good race.

Ive been running a lot of trails lately - at first i wasnt sure if i would like it, but i think i am really starting to enjoy it. it definitely makes the time go by faster running in and out and having to keep a sharp lookout for obstacles. it definitely works out different muscles than straight road running. last week i did a 10-mile trail run at about 11 minutes per mile and the next day i was hurting, even after an easy-paced run.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 2:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I'm losing my motivation. been on the road a bunch the past couple of weeks. you lose the chemical addiction from running in only a few days.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:23 pm 

Hatchetman wrote:
I'm losing my motivation. been on the road a bunch the past couple of weeks. you lose the chemical addiction from running in only a few days.

i agree, and i have found that the best cure for that (for me anyway) is to schedule a race. the thought of a race looming always gets me training and working a little harder. when i dont have anything on the immediate schedule i start to get lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 3:51 pm 

I just try to listen to my body. Ill go almost every day for weeks then i take a few off...but usually cause of weather

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 1:22 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Even in my best shape 3 yrs ago, more than 3 days in a row was a bad idea and an injury waiting to happen.

Work is nuts, but I'm trying to get out there. Did 4 miles Saturday and 3 this morning.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Scooted around the double loop (7 miles) in 1:01. Didn't feel out of breath once I finished so I probably could've finished faster.

All this damn rain created a huge puddle in my running path as there's a spot that's sunk a bit. I tried jumping the puddle but landed on a mud patch, slipped and nearly fell. Something tweaked and now I got a groin.

PS: All this wind needs to go away. It's not exactly warm yet to bluster about 10-20 mph.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I got my run in last night. It was quite pleasant out, although the wind out of the west made the outbound run more challenging.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Lots of 5k, 10k and obstacle course races (Spartan, Battlefrog, Tough Mudder) have teams that run as a group. I'm surprised with all the people posting in this thread, that has not happened here.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:33 am 

finished the chicagoland spring half marathon in schaumburg sunday - went sub-2 hours for the first time crossing in 1:58:08. beautiful day, but the paths through busse woods are a bit narrow for two way out-and-back race traffic. i think it helped me in the end though, it forced me to stay in the group and hold my pace since there wasnt much room to pass. the last 2 miles were into a rough headwind that was pretty unpleasant but overall i thought it was a well put-together race. now i am going to just start packing on miles over the summer to prepare for some longer races in the fall - not sure what i am going to enter yet, but there is a 50-mile ultra i have been interested in since last year. ive never covered that much distance in a race before, but i think i may go for it and have some fun trying. its flat and on crushed gravel trails, so i have heard that it is a great first-timer course.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 8:08 am 

Was able to snap off 7 miles in 59:30. Really busted ass the last half mile to make sure I would finished under an hour.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:15 am 

that 50-miler is inneresting. I would go for it if I had no kids or a job.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:19 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
Was able to snap off 7 miles in 59:30. Really busted ass the last half mile to make sure I would finished under an hour.

How are your joints and back holding up from so much mileage?

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:20 am 

denisdman wrote:
Kirkwood wrote:

How are your joints and back holding up from so much mileage?

Back is fine. My right knee is ready to explode but I'll deal with it once it occurs.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:29 am 

I used to run a lot more distance and often, and it was just too much pressure on my joints. It's impressive that you log that kind of mileage. I put it in the not worth it category. I stick to my two mile runs every other day.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 9:55 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

well i have both and it is a challenge getting the training mileage in. a lot of late night and early morning runs. i am starting to work in some am/pm doubles into the routine. my wife and kids are off for the summer starting next week so that should free up some time for stress-free miles.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:
I used to run a lot more distance and often, and it was just too much pressure on my joints. It's impressive that you log that kind of mileage. I put it in the not worth it category. I stick to my two mile runs every other day.

Good opportunity to catch up on podcasts. Otherwise, I'd be cursing the run the second I start my Garmin.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 2:01 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Good opportunity to catch up on podcasts. Otherwise, I'd be cursing the run the second I start my Garmin.

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 7:33 pm 

denisdman wrote:

Yea i like 2mi runs. At least 3 times a week. Plenty to get the heart goin and i too believe too much running is bad for body.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2016 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
man of few opinions wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

well i have both and it is a challenge getting the training mileage in. a lot of late night and early morning runs. i am starting to work in some am/pm doubles into the routine. my wife and kids are off for the summer starting next week so that should free up some time for stress-free miles.

50k is my max. Wife does the 50s and hundos. Ultras are great -- so low-key compared to marathons. Congrats on the step-up.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:20 am 

been once in past 10 days. since I've stopped drinking I have no incentive to run.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:28 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
work is killing my ability to get up in the morning to run.
I need to retire.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:37 pm 

went yesterday afternoon. 88 degrees. almost died.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:51 pm 

i ran yesterday too - and it was rough. it was my first really warm-weather run and i wasnt properly prepared. i got out to the turnaround point at about 4 miles and realized i was in trouble not having any water with me (there is a water fountain on the trail but it is a good 2 miles from the turnaround). i totally underestimated the heat and didnt adjust my pace accordingly and had a terrible death march home. wont make that mistake again - future warm weather runs will be laps around the block with water available.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:53 pm 

you went 8 yesterday? wow. I only managed 4 just barely.

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 1:56 pm 

yeah, not too smart. i started out at my "50 degrees and overcast" pace and was reduced to a pretty slow shuffle down the stretch.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 8:37 am 

Checked the weather app yesterday and it said 30% chance of t-storms at 5pm and then 70% chance at 6pm. Ok, it's 4:45, squeeze in a run before shit gets real. The odds are on my side.

Well, storm rolled in faster than my app must've anticipated. Now, the rain started at 5ish but was actually refreshing. A nice light rain instead of a heavy downpour. But my route is around Lake Arlington so all the thunder and lightning wasn't ideal.

There was some dude who was unfazed by all the lightning and thunder and kept fishing along the shore. :lol:

Positive of thunder/lightning was urgency to GTFO so finished my 7 miles in a zippy 57:45. I'll take it!

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 9:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Georgio's--Crystal Lake
Last 6 mile run before Milk Days 10K next week. I was using the Prairie Long Trail which starts on the McHenry-Boone County Line and cuts southwest across Boone County. 2 miles to go and cutting through Capron when some woman in her late teens early 20's starts yelling at me that it's a bike trail not a running trail. I laughed and told her I was sorry she couldn't read and didn't know that running was allowed on the trail, it is posted at all the trailheads and conservation website...that didn't go over well but I wasn't going to stop my run to discuss something that the other person has no intention of discussing. Got the run done though, if I can get 19 more miles in by Tuesday that'll be a 100 mile month which I've only done a few times before...just won't be using that part of that trail anymore.

Cause tried and true
I see the light in you
Oh, can you dig in my soul?
Could you smell my whole...
life?--Gener and Deaner

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 8:43 am 

Lot of disturbed people out there. If you let them bother you you could never leave the house.

Better than getting run over by some asshole here in the city though.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:25 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
I'm looking into purchasing an elevation training mask. Anyone have input on effectiveness and preferred brand? I'm mainly a cardio guy, but I just haven't had the time recently to hit the gym as I'm working 15-16 hours/day. I need to make up for lost time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 644 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18 ... 22  Next