It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:42 am 

Because I'm old - and I know how to party - I'm up late on a Friday night and watching the replay of the Waste Management Open.

I consider myself a pretty big golf fan and I have always liked Phil Mickelson. They just said on the telecast that he has NEVER been ranked #1 in the world. I was doubtful, so I looked it up. It's true. :shock:

I understand the main reason why he's never been #1 - his career overlaps for the most part with the (2nd :twisted: ) greatest player ever - but considering the other players who have been ranked #1 during that time, there is a bigger problem.

The rankings system is clearly broken. Here are some of the players that have been #1 since Phil has been a major player in the golf world:

Martin Kaymer :?
Lee Westwwod (TWICE! :shock: )
David Duval (TWICE!)
Rory McIlroy (4X!)
Tom Lehman
Ian Woosnam

Some of those players have had nice careers, and some have been downright nasty in short spurts. Duval was great before he ran out of steroids and the yips took over. Kaymer was the best player in the world......... wait nevermind. Kaymer has never been the best player in the world for even an hour.

Amazing to me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:43 am 

That, right there, is a nice a neat little (potential) blog post. :D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:50 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Area Dad Just Absolutely Sobbing After Phil Mickelson Win

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
I could see that. he has probably been close. Phil seems to show up for big events, he is a clutch performer. Might not win all the time, but one of the best of a generation.

he seems grounded, but then again its golf, so to lose it as a golfer (mentally speaking) you really need to be fucked up. D Duval! or did he just decide he was going to be a sno boarder>?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
No clutch today on #16. Missed the green big time; second shot chunked it into the trap, third shot on and then two-putt. Just like how I play par 3s :lol:

He did throw a bunch of footballs into the stands on his way up to the green; seemingly he was not taking the round too seriously. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
The legend of his Ravens bet is my favorite.

Last I heard it was $100K at 60-1 on the Ravens to win the Super Bowl.

Someone close enough to him said it was like $25K at 20-1...which is still great

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
spanky wrote:
That, right there, is a nice a neat little (potential) blog post. :D

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:19 am 

a genius wrote:
No clutch today on #16. Missed the green big time; second shot chunked it into the trap, third shot on and then two-putt. Just like how I play par 3s :lol:

He did throw a bunch of footballs into the stands on his way up to the green; seemingly he was not taking the round too seriously. 8)

That 60 last year sucked, didn't it?

He's the 2nd best player of the last......30+ years?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:04 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Homemade 2. Jewels
Wasn't dissing him or his accomplishments overall; just observing that he is human and is capable of not taking himself too seriously; a trait I enjoy.

I was wondering why all the ravens jerseys in the crowd.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:57 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
spanky wrote:
a genius wrote:

That 60 last year sucked, didn't it?

He's the 2nd best player of the last......30+ years?

Yes.

Add Luke Donald to the list of players who have been ranked #1.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
regarding the thread title, neither have I.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:21 pm 

pizza_Place: ------
Phil McCracken is also vastly underrated

Chus wrote:
RPB is right. You suck. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Phil McCracken wrote:

Agreed

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I've always ranked him as
He's doody

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:39 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Phil McCracken wrote:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:09 am 

Adam Scott will become the #1 ranked player in the world after next weekend, simply by not playing.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:11 am 

Chus wrote:
Adam Scott will become the #1 ranked player in the world after next weekend, simply by not playing.

Is that better than Tiger Woods being ranked #1 and having not played in how many weeks? They really need to fix this ranking system, it is a sham or a shammockery if you will.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:16 am 
100000 CLUB

I agree. Nobody should get to #1 by not playing, unless the current #1 plays and misses a cut or something.

Woods hasn't been the #1 golfer in 2014 at all, despite what the rankings have said.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:37 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Chus wrote:

Is that better than Tiger Woods being ranked #1 and having not played in how many weeks? They really need to fix this ranking system, it is a sham or a shammockery if you will.

I'm not complaining about it, just stating a fact.

How would you fix the ranking system? It currently factors in all play from the last 104 weeks. If you shortened that time frame, the top five might include Jimmy Walker and Patrick Reed. I don't think anybody but Patrick Reed would believe that either of them are top 5 in the world.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I agree. Nobody should get to #1 by not playing, unless the current #1 plays and misses a cut or something.

Woods hasn't been the #1 golfer in 2014 at all, despite what the rankings have said.

Lebron James could break his leg tonight, and miss the rest of the season. He would still be the best basketball player.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:40 am 

Chus wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Chus wrote:

How would you fix the ranking system? It currently factors in all play from the last 104 weeks. If you shortened that time frame, the top five might include Jimmy Walker and Patrick Reed. I don't think anybody but Patrick Reed would believe that either of them are top 5 in the world.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Lebron James could break his leg tonight, and miss the rest of the season. He would still be the best basketball player.

I would definitely shorten it, as I think it should be more about how they are playing at that time.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:45 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Chus wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
Chus wrote:

Frank Coztansa wrote:

I would definitely shorten it, as I think it should be more about how they are playing at that time.

I would rather see Scott take over #1 by not playing this week, than Reed do it, by having a few good weeks. "Top 5" Patrick Reed has been pretty quiet lately. Since his last win, and his proclamation of greatness, he has 3 missed cuts, T48, and T52.

Scott is a baller, Reed got lucky.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:46 am 
100000 CLUB

Chus wrote:
Apples and oranges. LeBron already played the regular season at an MVP level. Tiger Woods was very good last year, didn't really do a thing this year, and has been sidelined for over 6 weeks now. No way he's #1 anymore.

I liked Reed until he started talking.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:51 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Chus wrote:
Apples and oranges. LeBron already played the regular season at an MVP level. Tiger Woods was very good last year, didn't really do a thing this year, and has been sidelined for over 6 weeks now. No way he's #1 anymore.

Tiger was the POY last year, had the most wins, by a wide margin, and most money earned, also by a wide margin. Stenson's $10M FedEx Cup payday was technically a bonus.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I liked Reed until he started talking.

He isn't talking anymore. One of the tour vets must have talked to him.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:54 am 

Of course the system is flawed.

Using golf's "system" - the Baltimore Ravens would have been the #1 team for the entire NFL season - because they were the best the previous season. Louisville Would have been #1 all year this year in men's hoops, etc.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:02 pm 

spanky wrote:
Of course the system is flawed.

Using golf's "system" - the Baltimore Ravens would have been the #1 team for the entire NFL season - because they were the best the previous season. Louisville Would have been #1 all year this year in men's hoops, etc.

But, NFL teams aren't ranked. They play one other, and the losers go home. It's pretty cut and dry, who is better when the scoreboard shows 0:00. Apples and forklifts.

NCAA football and basketball rankings are an absolute joke.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
PGA should just do rankings based on your average finish, last 10-12 tournaments over the last calendar year. If you didn't play in that many tourneys you get a DNF. Ties go to the money list.

Or they could do a waited average using finish x prize money, so that the bigger tournaments get more love.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:13 pm 

Big Chicagoan wrote:
PGA should just do rankings based on your average finish, last 10-12 tournaments over the last calendar year. If you didn't play in that many tourneys you get a DNF. Ties go to the money list.

Or they could do a waited average using finish x prize money, so that the bigger tournaments get more love.

I think I have an easy solution to this:

They should develop a system where a player earns "points" based on how they finish in weekly tournaments. They can even have bonus points for the majors. At the end of the year, they should have a "playoff" - say, 4 tournaments - and whittle the field down after each of the 4 weeks until you have a final winner. They should end someplace warm and sorta near Augusta, since it's the home of the most famous tournament. Maybe the winner of that could get a big yearly prize - $10M ought to do it. They should get a big company to sponsor that thing all year long - like a big soft drink company or, better yet, a delivery company!

Then we would know who is the #1 golfer for that given year. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:19 pm 

spanky wrote:
Big Chicagoan wrote:

I think I have an easy solution to this:

They should develop a system where a player earns "points" based on how they finish in weekly tournaments. They can even have bonus points for the majors. At the end of the year, they should have a "playoff" - say, 4 tournaments - and whittle the field down after each of the 4 weeks until you have a final winner. They should end someplace warm and sorta near Augusta, since it's the home of the most famous tournament. Maybe the winner of that could get a big yearly prize - $10M ought to do it. They should get a big company to sponsor that thing all year long - like a big soft drink company or, better yet, a delivery company!

Youse a dick. :lol:

<º)))><

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 2:20 pm 
100000 CLUB

spanky wrote:

"points" and "playoffs" and spany has turned into Bennet Brauer. Not a bad idea though....what else you got swimming around up there?