It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 1:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
This is a list of scenarios for each player to win the FedEx Cup. Even Gary Woodland at #29 has a shot.

http://www.pgatour.com/fedexcup/2014/09 ... -cola.html

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:51 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Is this the final championship?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:53 pm 

pittmike wrote:

Yes. This is the final PGA event of the year. The 29 man field is playing for an $8,000,000 purse, with the winner of the FedEx Cup taking home another $10,000,000. It's not just majors that matter.

Dustin Johnson, who is ranked #30 in the FedEx Cup standings, will receive a check of $125,000, and he isn't even teeing it up this week.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:14 am 

Chus wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Yes. This is the final PGA event of the year. The 29 man field is playing for an $8,000,000 purse, with the winner of the FedEx Cup taking home another $10,000,000. It's not just majors that matter.

Dustin Johnson, who is ranked #30 in the FedEx Cup standings, will receive a check of $125,000, and he isn't even teeing it up this week.

I didn't like that they didn't fill his spot, I thought whoever was in 31st should have gotten to play. Now also you have someone who has to play by themselves or play with a marker.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:26 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
I'll be home this afternoon so I hope that it will be on the Golf Channel. I don't really get too excited
about the golf course though. I kinda wish they would move it around from year to year.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:27 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I'll be home this afternoon so I hope that it will be on the Golf Channel. I don't really get too excited
about the golf course though. I kinda wish they would move it around from year to year.

Got a half-day myself, I look forward to taking a few holes in also.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:33 am 

T-Bone wrote:
I'll be home this afternoon so I hope that it will be on the Golf Channel.

12:00

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Chus wrote:

Picture courtesy of Dustin Johnson's ebay watch page

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hawg Ass wrote:
I didn't like that they didn't fill his spot, I thought whoever was in 31st should have gotten to play. Now also you have someone who has to play by themselves or play with a marker.

I remember seeing Robert Allenby get snubbed during a US Open practice round at Olympia Fields. He walked up to the 1st tee and the guys already there obviously said they wanted to play alone. He was really pissed and played by himself.

I realize this would be a better story if I could remember the other two guys.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Rory hit a drive into the pocket of a spectator.

http://thebiglead.com/2014/09/12/rory-m ... mpionship/

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 3:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Did Rory hook up with Wozniacki last night? Started the day in the lead, 6 over for his round today. 10 million dollar choke job going on.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:22 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
Did Rory hook up with Wozniacki last night? Started the day in the lead, 6 over for his round today. 10 million dollar choke job going on.

:lol:

The only time I saw him today, he had hit it right next to some fence.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:58 pm 

Great performance this month by Horschel. Steady, solid, emotional, clutch.....good thing he's not on the Ryder Cup team, wouldn't want him to get in the way of Mahan, Bradley and Simpson.

I was listening to golf channel a few weeks ago when Horschel chunked that shot on 18 and blew his chance to win that week....all the commentators were saying that he cost himself a shot at the Ryder Cup with that. ONe caller really struck a nerve with me...he called in and said it was disgusting that one shot should keep Billy off the team. If he is playing better than the other contenders he should get a spot regardless of one bad shot. The caller commented that if Horschel made that shot and won the event he would be on the team and the announcers agreed. I agreed that screwing up one shot is not a good reason to not make the team. He was obviously playing great to get in that position in the first place.

Of course he didn't make the team..Watson took Mahan based on him winning the week before...yet where has Hunter been since? Not playing nearly as well as Horschel that's for sure. He also took Keegan and Web, two players who's names are bigger than their current form.

I decided to show my support for Billy by picking him in fantasy every week since...and I've rode that strategy to first place in our league the last 2 weeks. Too bad Watson didn't take my lead.

Is it too late to get him on the team?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:01 pm 

I believe it is too late unless someone backs out.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:04 pm 

T-Bone wrote:

then someone should do the honorable thing and back out. Any of the 3 captains picks should do that and about half the guys who made the team on points.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:10 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

then someone should do the honorable thing and back out. Any of the 3 captains picks should do that and about half the guys who made the team on points.

I understand your point but by the time the Ryder Cup comes around Horschel could be back to average.
Where was he on points over the course of the year?

Rank Player Events Points
1 Bubba Watson 21 6930.54
2 Rickie Fowler 26 6733.25
3 Jim Furyk 21 6707.69
4 Jimmy Walker 25 6111.41
5 Phil Mickelson 22 5510.34
6 Matt Kuchar 24 5114.67
7 Jordan Spieth 26 4835.83
8 Patrick Reed 23 3651.09
9 Zach Johnson 26 3568.96
10 Jason Dufner 21 3559.72
11 Ryan Moore 25 3355.87
12 Brendon Todd 25 3343.58
13 Keegan Bradley 27 3324.70
14 Chris Kirk 25 3287.88
15 Webb Simpson 24 3155.57
16 Harris English 27 3036.07
17 Kevin Na 24 2960.82
18 Ryan Palmer 21 2612.14
19 Matt Every 24 2527.31
20 Brandt Snedeker 26 2476.65
21 Erik Compton 25 2458.79
22 Kevin Stadler 24 2456.98
23 Brian Harman 28 2450.70
24 Gary Woodland 22 2364.39
25 Hunter Mahan 25 2346.36
Through September 8, 2014

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:22 pm 

No, he came in real low in points. Struggled most of the year. But, turned it on when it mattered most. And besides, Watson said he wanted to take players who were playing well at the time he made his picks. Using that criteria I don't see a reason he wasn't picked.

I look at him as a high risk, huge reward type of selection. Let's face it, the teams we are sending to the Ryder Cup aren't working out. 2012 showed the huge difference in attitude and intensity between Europe and the USA. While the Euro players were whooping it up and getting all fired up, the US players were retreating into shells and spending 10 minutes over every putt when Sunday rolled around. I look at Billy as the exact type of person who can match up skill and attitude wise with the Poulters and other rah rah players on Euro.

With all the injuries the US is gonna get their ass kicked anyway so why not take a gamble on a guy like Horschel who could go out there and be the best player all weekend vs the guys they took who you know what you are getting.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:28 pm 

shakes wrote:
No, he came in real low in points. Struggled most of the year. But, turned it on when it mattered most. And besides, Watson said he wanted to take players who were playing well at the time he made his picks. Using that criteria I don't see a reason he wasn't picked.

I look at him as a high risk, huge reward type of selection. Let's face it, the teams we are sending to the Ryder Cup aren't working out. 2012 showed the huge difference in attitude and intensity between Europe and the USA. While the Euro players were whooping it up and getting all fired up, the US players were retreating into shells and spending 10 minutes over every putt when Sunday rolled around. I look at Billy as the exact type of person who can match up skill and attitude wise with the Poulters and other rah rah players on Euro.

With all the injuries the US is gonna get their ass kicked anyway so why not take a gamble on a guy like Horschel who could go out there and be the best player all weekend vs the guys they took who you know what you are getting.

I can't disagree, Watson seemed to go with the "bigger" names. I think it will end up biting him in the ass. I would
have gone with guys like Chris Kirk, Ryan Palmer and Horschel.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:33 pm 

Going in to that 2nd place finish there was no reason to pick him, so you think he should have been picked because of 1 good tournament at the time? The teams were chosen that Tuesday.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I supported Hoerschel much of the season and rode that strategy into a solid 12th place in Yahoo Golf.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:43 pm 

Hawg Ass wrote:
Going in to that 2nd place finish there was no reason to pick him, so you think he should have been picked because of 1 good tournament at the time? The teams were chosen that Tuesday.

If that tournament wasn't being used to help pick the teams then no, he shouldn't have been picked. But, it was being used and the talking heads on Golf Channel were saying that if Horschel had won the event he would've been a favorite to be picked by Watson. They also said Kirk was going to make the team based on that tournament as well so obviously they put more stock in that tournament than Watson did. But, Watson did say he wanted players who were playing well at the time so that lends to the belief that that tournament should've mattered. If not, then how do you reconcile the Hunter selection since he only got picked cause he won the week before?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm 

shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

If that tournament wasn't being used to help pick the teams then no, he shouldn't have been picked. But, it was being used and the talking heads on Golf Channel were saying that if Horschel had won the event he would've been a favorite to be picked by Watson. They also said Kirk was going to make the team based on that tournament as well so obviously they put more stock in that tournament than Watson did. But, Watson did say he wanted players who were playing well at the time so that lends to the belief that that tournament should've mattered. If not, then how do you reconcile the Hunter selection since he only got picked cause he won the week before?

I don't think that tournament had any say in who was selected as Kirk wasn't selected either. If Horschel would have won, I don't feel he would have been selected. I think he went with more experienced players who had been in previous competitions.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:55 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
shakes wrote:
That is ridiculous thought, shakes.

If a hockey team doesn't make the playoffs, but is red hot the last 2 weeks of the regular season, does that mean the 7th or 8th seed should just back out and let the team who finished strong into the playoffs? Of course not.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:12 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:

If a hockey team doesn't make the playoffs, but is red hot the last 2 weeks of the regular season, does that mean the 7th or 8th seed should just back out and let the team who finished strong into the playoffs? Of course not.

One large problem with your analogy is that Horschel DID make the playoffs and went out and lit it up and became the PGA champion.

A better analogy would be the LA Kings when they won their first title in 2012. Entered the playoffs as the last seed and won the Stanley Cup. By the end of the playoffs they were the best team in hockey. Just like by the end of the golf playoffs Horschel was the best golfer in the world. It would be the equivalent of if in 2012 there was a big tournament held 2 weeks after the Stanley Cup and each country would send a few of their best teams to compete, but the Kings don't get picked because over the course of the whole year they weren't a top team despite being the best team when it mattered most in teh playoffs. There would be outrage since obviously the Kings were the best team in the league at the time despite their early season difficulties. Same goes for Horsch.

The Ryder Cup is supposed to hvae the 12 best Americans in it and yet we don't have the 1 guy who accomplished more this year than any other golfer from the USA.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:58 am 

shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:

One large problem with your analogy is that Horschel DID make the playoffs and went out and lit it up and became the PGA champion.

A better analogy would be the LA Kings when they won their first title in 2012. Entered the playoffs as the last seed and won the Stanley Cup. By the end of the playoffs they were the best team in hockey. Just like by the end of the golf playoffs Horschel was the best golfer in the world. It would be the equivalent of if in 2012 there was a big tournament held 2 weeks after the Stanley Cup and each country would send a few of their best teams to compete, but the Kings don't get picked because over the course of the whole year they weren't a top team despite being the best team when it mattered most in teh playoffs. There would be outrage since obviously the Kings were the best team in the league at the time despite their early season difficulties. Same goes for Horsch.

The Ryder Cup is supposed to hvae the 12 best Americans in it and yet we don't have the 1 guy who accomplished more this year than any other golfer from the USA.

But he did it after the teams were selected

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:01 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
shakes wrote:
Frank Coztansa wrote:
shakes wrote:

But he did it after the teams were selected

I watched Golf Central this morning and they discussed possible changes coming up and moving the date to
choose after the Tour Championship.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:04 am 

For the Ryder Cup, that will be very hard to do. It is 2 weeks before and that would make the preparation even harder.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Horshcel, Kirk, Mahan, Keegan, Phil....doesn't really matter. The US is likely to get slaughtered in this thing :lol:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:51 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
For the Ryder Cup, that will be very hard to do. It is 2 weeks before and that would make the preparation even harder.

How much prep do they need? They play golf every weekend for basically the entire year. Only difference would be that a bunch of them would have to go play more golf 2 weeks after the season ended. Its not like any of them are preparing for the Ryder Cup unitl the season ends anyway (unless you are half the guys on team USA who were eliminated from the playoffs before it ended).

I'd like to see the best guys go and it doesn't make sense to make that determination 2-3 weeks before the season ends, especially since those last few weeks are composed of some of the biggest tournaments on the tour. if the team was picked today I'm sure we can all agree that Horschel would be a sure thing. My only point is that as bad as our team is it really sucks that the guy playing better than anyone isn't even going to be there.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:55 am 

shakes wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:

How much prep do they need? They play golf every weekend for basically the entire year. Only difference would be that a bunch of them would have to go play more golf 2 weeks after the season ended. Its not like any of them are preparing for the Ryder Cup unitl the season ends anyway (unless you are half the guys on team USA who were eliminated from the playoffs before it ended).

I'd like to see the best guys go and it doesn't make sense to make that determination 2-3 weeks before the season ends, especially since those last few weeks are composed of some of the biggest tournaments on the tour. if the team was picked today I'm sure we can all agree that Horschel would be a sure thing. My only point is that as bad as our team is it really sucks that the guy playing better than anyone isn't even going to be there.

But who is to say he plays good in 2 weeks when we go over there? Golf is such a fickle game, you can get cold just as quick.