It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:08 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Well, this could be one of the more controversial major championships in a while. The course looks pretty amazing visually but
definitely unlike anything they have hosted a US Open on. The greens look just crazy and you can get to the hole multiple ways
by using slopes and banks. It is going to play very long but I would say it could be open to anyone with above average length
and who is playing hot/getting lucky. I can't wait to see how this thing all turns out. Over par could certainly be a winning
score at initial glance. Fairways are running at a 7 on the stimpmeter.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Here's an article from the Wall Street Journal I read a couple of weeks ago. Very interesting course:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/chambers-bay-designed-to-irritate-the-pros-1432936778

Quote:
The U.S. Open is known as the toughest test in golf, but this year’s championship, starting June 18 at Chambers Bay outside Tacoma, has already got some Tour pros whining.

Ian Poulter tweeted reports he’d heard that the nearly treeless links course on Puget Sound was “a farce,” even though he had yet to visit the site. “As far as the greens are concerned, it’s not a complete championship golf course,” Ryan Palmer told USA Today after an early practice round there. He singled out the slopes, mounds and swales on the putting surfaces for ridicule. “Put a quarter in the machine and go for a ride,” he said.

The pros are griping because week in and week out they make their living playing golf in a certain way, and Chambers Bay doesn’t favor that way. Modern Tour pros are extremely good at hitting golf shots precise distances, with spin and trajectory combinations that cause the ball to behave just so after landing, on fairways and greens that are usually pretty soft. At Chambers Bay, half the fun—for spectators, at least—will be watching balls bound, swerve, swoop and trickle in unpredictable directions after landing. The sand-based fescue terrain at Chambers Bay is hilly, hard and fast.

Architecturally, the course’s distinguishing feature is its flexibility. That gives Mike Davis, the guy who sets up the U.S. Open course for the U.S. Golf Association (he is also the association’s executive director), devilish new ways to get into players’ heads.

The opening hole, for example, will flip between playing as a par 4 and a par 5 on alternate days throughout the tournament, reflecting the dramatically different tee locations and landing areas that are available. Par on the adjacent 18th hole will flip each day in the opposite direction, to keep the overall par for the course at 70. The par-three ninth hole on most days will play steeply downhill, but at least once during the tournament it will play uphill from a 90-degree different angle. At No. 15, a par three that starts Chambers Bay’s dramatic closing stretch, the distance will vary from 123 yards to 246 yards.

In other words, from day to day and hole to hole, the set up will keep players off balance. They’ll never know what’s about to hit them. Another quirky possibility: teeing areas on some holes that might be slightly tilted. Players should be able to find a flat spot to tee their ball, but possibly not on the side of the tee they would prefer to use for their particular shot shape. “So that’s interesting,” Davis deadpanned at media day.

Why would the USGA set up its Open course in such a controversial manner? In part because it can. Chambers Bay, which opened just eight years ago, is the first course built in more than half a century to host an Open. The great old classic Open venues, like Oakmont and Winged Foot, have narrow fairways bordered by thick rough, dictating every shot. Chambers Bay, by contrast, was conceived by the Robert Trent Jones II design firm primarily as a match play course, with lots of fun, enticing options for the players to contend with.

“Chambers Bay is a one-of-a-kind site for an Open,” Davis said. “What the USGA is trying to do here is embrace and showcase the options that the architects have built in.”

I toured the course earlier this month with Jay Blasi, a member of the RTJII design team, and Matt Allen, the facility’s general manager. It looks wild and natural, but actually it’s a transformed gravel mine. Like Whistling Straits in Wisconsin, site of this summer’s PGA Championship, it is almost entirely artificial. Engineers moved 1.5 million cubic yards of earth to sculpt the fairways and green complexes. Every inch of the layout has been thoroughly thought out. The course hosted the 2010 U.S. Amateur, as a kind of dry run for next month’s tournament, and Blasi and Allen pointed out many of the tweaks made subsequently, in consultation with the USGA. The run-ups to several greens were softened, as on Nos. 1 and 8 where the humps and mounds were deemed too harsh. Other greens were extended to create more places to sink holes. The 7th green was lowered.

“For a U.S. Open, this is a paradigm shift,” Jones told me by telephone. “The fairways are wide but the players can’t just bomb it because the ball may roll into a bad place or leave them with a difficult angle into the green. We’re inviting them to their own destruction.”

With no trees in play and no water holes on the course, Jones said, the ground game becomes the hazard, particularly around and on the greens. As many as twelve of the greens, depending on weather conditions and the daily tee and hole locations, might best be approached with rolling ground shots rather than aerial attacks. That’s not what Tour pros are used to.

Davis loves Chambers Bay because it will force players to think. “Opens have always been a test of mental strength, along with shot-making and the short game and everything else, but here more so than prior Opens,” Davis said. “I think players will get out on the course and say, ‘Wow, I didn’t expect that. How am I going to approach this shot?’ It will be fascinating to see how they react, especially late in the championship. Thinking clearly when the heat is on is part of what identifies the all-time greats. That was one of Jack Nicklaus’s great strengths.”

Preparation will also be key. The course requires study. Davis got in trouble a few weeks ago for suggesting that players who play only one or two practice rounds on the week of the Open won’t stand much of a chance. But he was only stating the obvious. Phil Mickelson, who will be seeking the fourth leg of his career Grand Slam at Chambers Bay, showed up this week. On Thursday he spent 30 minutes on the first green alone, according to a local newspaper report.

Smart, patient players like Jordan Spieth and Graeme McDowell might fare well at Chambers Bay. More temperamental players like Poulter, dismissing the course as a joke, may already have talked themselves out of the trophy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:09 am 

Chus is likely to enjoy this weekend. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malanati's
Enetering numerous DRAFTKING entries..

Dont have Rory in any of my matchups...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:15 am 

shears are out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:15 am 

tBone got some golfers in the lower part you like to make a top 10?

I pulled a Ben Martin, Ogilvy, Streb and Putname....need to balance the expensive guys SPIETH, FOWLER, ETC with the lower guys to make your roster of 6

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:24 am 

bigfan wrote:

I pulled a Ben Martin, Ogilvy, Streb and Putname....need to balance the expensive guys SPIETH, FOWLER, ETC with the lower guys to make your roster of 6

I guess I would have to see a list of who is near the bottom. Ben Martin is a guy who is pretty under the radar to the casual fan. Other names that come to mind or who haven't
been talked about a lot this week would be Dubuisson, Kisner and Leishman. It really could be anyone's this week but the cream usually rises to the top. No one is really
talking about Kaymer either.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am 

T-Bone wrote:
bigfan wrote:

I guess I would have to see a list of who is near the bottom. Ben Martin is a guy who is pretty under the radar to the casual fan. Other names that come to mind or who haven't
been talked about a lot this week would be Dubuisson, Kisner and Leishman. It really could be anyone's this week but the cream usually rises to the top. No one is really
talking about Kaymer either.

I wonder what the odds are on Brooks Koepka, he is a really good young player that I like this weekend.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:27 am 

Martin Kaymer (40/1) – He proved last year that he can putt it from anywhere with success. Considering you can literally putt it from the tee box to the hole out there, he might just contend again…but he isn’t going to repeat.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Stephanie Wei likes Danny Willet and Kevin Kisner as dark horses.

She's a good twitter follow.

I would.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:40 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Kirkwood wrote:
Chus is likely to enjoy this weekend. :lol:

I will be on the sidelines this weekend. There are way too many variables on this course.

If I was playing, I would be looking to fade anybody who has complained about the course, or anybody who has seen it for the first time this week.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:41 am 

Quote:
Ian Poulter tweeted reports he’d heard that the nearly treeless links course on Puget Sound was “a farce,” even though he had yet to visit the site.

Grade A bitch. Douchebag of the highest order.

<º)))><

Last edited by Chus on Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:41 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
shears are out.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

What did I miss? :lol:

<º)))><

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:43 am 

Chus wrote:
Quote:
Ian Poulter tweeted reports he’d heard that the nearly treeless links course on Puget Sound was “a farce,” even though he had yet to visit the site.

Grade A bitch. Douchebag of the highest order.

That's what I meant by you'll enjoy this weekend. He seems primed for a meltdown.

Douchebag posted a gif of Tom Chambers insane dunk. bigfan hates white basketball.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:06 pm 

Another very interesting angle to this tournament will be that it is being covered by Fox and Fox Sports 1. Joe Buck and Greg Norman will be in the booth and
Holly Sonders will also be part of the team and is easy on the eyes. The golf will also be broadcast in primetime starting at 11 Thursday and Friday and running
until 10pm weekend coverage is 1-9pm.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:07 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Another very interesting angle to this tournament will be that it is being covered by Fox and Fox Sports 1. Joe Buck and Greg Norman will be in the booth and
Holly Sonders will also be part of the team and is easy on the eyes. The golf will also be broadcast in primetime starting at 11 Thursday and Friday and running
until 10pm weekend coverage is 1-9pm.

Shark!!!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2015 12:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Mauries Table
bigfan wrote:

This would have been a great course for Padraig Harrginton...had he made the field. :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:47 am 

Tempted to take afternoon off, play a little golf and then settle in for hours of US Open golf coverage. I have looked this over 100 different ways and I
really think this championship is up for grabs. I don't know who will win but my money at 35/1 would be Matsuyama. Winning score +2.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:50 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Tempted to take afternoon off, play a little golf and then settle in for hours of US Open golf coverage. I have looked this over 100 different ways and I
really think this championship is up for grabs. I don't know who will win but my money at 35/1 would be Matsuyama. Winning score +2.

I said +3 on the winning score, and I am going with Dustin Johnson for the win.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:59 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

He better perform well after bailing at Memphis. I just think that his driver will get him in enough trouble that he won't be able to do it. He is probably my
favorite player but don't see it working out.

I just took a half day and will head out golfing in about 30 minutes. :eye:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:01 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

He better perform well after bailing at Memphis. I just think that his driver will get him in enough trouble that he won't be able to do it. He is probably my

Why his driver, the fairways are huge and I think he is one of the better drivers I have seen for a extremely long hitter?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:04 am 

Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Hawg Ass wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

Why his driver, the fairways are huge and I think he is one of the better drivers I have seen for a extremely long hitter?

I just don't get a good vibe about it. Something is off. Maybe it is me :(

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:13 am 

Last week doesn't bother me, I don't think he wanted to be there and just said screw it. It happens. In my ultimate world, Phil would win. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:16 am 

Put in 6 entries @5$ each in the $500K tourney. - 47,000 entries.....9625 places paid.

Then at last second tossed in 1 entry at $20 entry in the 2.5$ M contest.

Have to say, very jealous of the Draftking guys. They are killing it and living it.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:39 am 

I have Rickie being Rickie. I'm falling behind and need a big check from him this week.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:00 am 

Bubba starts off with a double bogey. Put a fork in him.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 am 

Phil is the early leader at -2.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:06 am 

Phil, Bubba, and Angel Cabrera

http://www.usopen.com/en_US/console/con ... lt=&promo=

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:03 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I'm watching online and these announcers suck.

Fox should stick to Football.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 5:22 pm 

Poulter is +2 through two holes. 8)

<º)))><