It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:32 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:25 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Looks very nice.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:21 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Hard to believe October is here already. Only 5 weekends of golf left in my season which makes me a little sad but been a great year.
I usually like fall golf other than the fact that it can be tough to find your ball sometimes and you usually lose some distance due to the
cold. The courses that I usually play were aerated this past week which also adds an extra element to playing. Looks like I am going to
be able to hit most of my goals that I set out when the season began. I have a local Ryder Cup event I am supposed to play in next
weekend and then a big year end scramble the weekend after that which should be a good time. I was also able to pick up a pair
of golf shoes on sale for next year. I was trying to calculate roughly how many miles I put on mine this year and came up with about
300 miles conservatively. They are starting to fall apart a little bit after being brand new this year but I have been hard on them.
Hope everyone else has a chance to enjoy the fall season.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:37 pm 

Happy to get out Saturday and Sunday this past weekend. Rained on me both times but it was pretty light and spotty. I think of all the times I have been out
this season ( over 65 so far ), I've only been rained out twice where I had to walk off the course. I don't remember a season quite this fortunate with good
weather on days I was playing.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:47 am 

Running low on vacation time but with the possibility of this being the last dry 70 degree day where I live I am going to head out and play today.
I have an event on Sat/Sunday and going to scout out the Saturday course today. Going to be a Ryder Cup style thing where I am getting paired
up with someone I don't know and we will be playing a 6/6/6 format. 6 holes of alternate shot, 6 holes scramble and 6 holes best ball I think.
Should be interesting. Next day is individual match play I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
T-Bone wrote:
Running low on vacation time but with the possibility of this being the last dry 70 degree day where I live I am going to head out and play today.
I have an event on Sat/Sunday and going to scout out the Saturday course today. Going to be a Ryder Cup style thing where I am getting paired
up with someone I don't know and we will be playing a 6/6/6 format. 6 holes of alternate shot, 6 holes scramble and 6 holes best ball I think.

I'll be there to heckle you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:02 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Went to Stony Creek (par 66) course on Friday with my Dad, and shot my personal best of a 76. Tee to green, I was absolutely on fire. I missed only 1 fairway and hit 14 greens in reg. I'll go 3-4 rounds sometimes without having that many birdie putts. Except the first hole, every time I hit driver it was 240-260 right down the middle. Lost two balls on two tough par 4s, and couldn't get out of a bunker which lead to a 6, 7, and 5 (on a par 3).

Unfortunately, I could not drain any birdie putts and had SIX 3 putts on the day :( . Went 38-38, but if the putting was better it would have been an even lower score. Really felt good to hit as many good shots as I did. Its been quite a disappointing season overall, but it would be nice to finish the year on a positive note with a couple of decent rounds.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 6:50 am 

redskingreg wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

I'll be there to heckle you.

You wouldn't have had much to heckle yesterday. Shot 67. :mrgreen: Course is only 6100 from the tips so it all comes down to staying in play and hitting greens. Missed all my putts inside
15 feet on the last 4 holes to go lower. Greens were aerated last week and still a bit rough but I can't really blame the greens. I think I let the pressure get to me a little bit and
left each of the putts on the low side of the hole. Course is a par 70.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:27 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Went to Stony Creek (par 66) course on Friday with my Dad, and shot my personal best of a 76. Tee to green, I was absolutely on fire. I missed only 1 fairway and hit 14 greens in reg. I'll go 3-4 rounds sometimes without having that many birdie putts. Except the first hole, every time I hit driver it was 240-260 right down the middle. Lost two balls on two tough par 4s, and couldn't get out of a bunker which lead to a 6, 7, and 5 (on a par 3).

Unfortunately, I could not drain any birdie putts and had SIX 3 putts on the day :( . Went 38-38, but if the putting was better it would have been an even lower score. Really felt good to hit as many good shots as I did. Its been quite a disappointing season overall, but it would be nice to finish the year on a positive note with a couple of decent rounds.

No way you counted all your strokes.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:28 am 
100000 CLUB

There is one stroke who just replied.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:42 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:

Glad that you were able to pull it together as I know it has been a frustrating season for you. If you don't get out much the rest of this year at least you will
have this round to draw on going into the off-season.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Frank Coztansa wrote:
There is one stroke who just replied.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:45 am 

Went out to play last night after I got the estimate on my garage door. Got to the course by 3:30 and there were 3 cars in the lot. Pro Shop is all locked
up and course is apparently closed. I figured since I had a membership that I could still play anyway. I had limited time but was able to play 14 holes in
90 minutes. It was glorious to have the whole course almost to myself, although very wet.

Playing in a Ryder Cup event this weekend in which they pit once course against another. When I was out earlier this week the guy running my team told
me he had me paired up with a ranger who works at the course. He told me the guy is in his early 70's but not to worry because he usually shoots his age. :shock:
I can't wait to see that. We will be partners in a 6/6/6 game of some sort. Will be wet and cool but looks sunny and high 50s / low 60s. Comfortable.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:45 am 
100000 CLUB

I was back to my Jekyll and Hyde ways on Friday. 45 on the front with a lost ball and an 8 on a par 5. Did not hit driver very well, but hit enough decent iron shots to get 3 pars and some bogeys. 55 on the back which is pretty bad. 2 more lost balls and 2 duffed iron shots. I chipped ok, but my putting was still pretty bad. About the 14th hole one of my buddies noticed that I seemed to be turning my hands over just as I hit the putt, causing me to pull a lot of longer putts. I concentrated on that, and two putted the rest of the way out so that was nice. Friday's round was pretty much a microcosm of my season. More bad shots than I should hit, a few good shots but not enough to score decently. The course was quite mushy, the greens were very slow, and it was a bit breezy which probably factored a bit into things. The temperatures were great. The sun came out for a bit and overall it was really nice until the last couple of holes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:53 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Hey Scorehead:

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 11:37 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
That's the same thing as a Pro-V1, it's just in a different package.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:39 pm 

Chus wrote:
That's the same thing as a Pro-V1, it's just in a different package.

:lol:

Reviews are really positive by those used to playing tour-level balls. $29.99 for a 24-pack.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:46 pm 

Ryder Cup event didn't go as well as I'd hoped. My elderly partner and I won 5 of 6 pts available on Saturday but neither of us played particularly well.
I was beaten pretty soundly in my Sunday match by the assistant pro of the other course. We were even through first 4 and then he went birdie, par
birdie, birdie. I put myself in some bad spots and couldn't keep up. He had me dormie by #14 I think. I still had a chance to win the back nine but
lost the last three holes. My tempo was off and I was pull hooking my irons which was a first for this season. I'll try to learn from it and move on.
I never seem to play in these competitions very well. This weekend should be a bit more fun as I am in a 27 hole scramble event with two guys I
usually play with on Sundays and one of their buddies. First prize is a free membership to the courses I play for next season which would be
outstanding. I am not sure we have enough talent to pull off a victory. Winning scores the past few years have hovered around -20 so some
solid wedge play and hot putters are a must. The weather looks phenomenal so it really should be a good time with prizes at the end and they
feed us some decent grub afterwards.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 12:58 pm 

My buddy is staying/playing at The Greenbrier this week on account of his wife attending a conference. All comped. I really hate him right now.

T-Bone wrote:
My elderly partner and I won 5 of 6 pts available on Saturday but neither of us played particularly well.

Just to remove any doubt, T-Bone is not referring to me here.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Furious Styles wrote:
My buddy is staying/playing at The Greenbrier this week on account of his wife attending a conference. All comped. I really hate him right now.

The first tee shot there is a real doozy....

yea, there might be a reason its comped.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:51 am 
100000 CLUB

I sucked again on Friday. 96 at Coyote run. I hit driver ok, but chunked MANY irons and my putting is dreadful. I hit a green in two on the par 5 6th hole, but of course 3 putted. Birdied #14 as I was able to put a 7iron about 6' from the pin after shanking my second shot. Those were the 2 highlites of an overall bad day. This has been the worst season for me since I started playing regularly. Playing with some friends Saturday at Gleneagles in a Ryder Cup style thing we are going to do, but after that the sticks are going down into the basement for the year.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:23 am 

Scramble event on Saturday went better than expected. My team consisted of a guy in his late 40s I'd guess and two guys well into their 50s.
I was pretty sure if we could birdie 15 of the 27 holes that would be a decent showing. We ended up at -18 and that was with parring 4 of the last
5 holes coming in. Not sure if we were feeling a little pressure or getting tired coming in. Weather was great, no rain but it took 6 hours to play
and I think we were all a little mentally and physically drained by that point. Anyway we tied for 4th I think. The winning team had -23 and
there were a few teams tied at -19. The winning team was 4 college aged kids and I think they won last year. They actually had a marshall
following them the entire time to be sure they weren't cheating but it was legit. That is a tough score to beat. Our highlights included one of
my teammates getting closest to the pin prize on one of the par 3 holes by sticking it to 4 ft and we managed to win a skin on a par 4. With
a little help from the wind I drove the green and made the putt after watching my partners all miss it narrowly for an eagle. There were three
other hole out eagles for the other skins so our payout was only $160 but in a normal year would have probably been double that. Fun way
to close out the year with the golfing partners that kind of adopted me this year. I started the year playing alone and they asked me to join
and had a great time getting to play with them. One more event on the 30th and then I am putting the clubs away for the season. Looking
more and more like I might actually reach 80 total times out golfing this year with a few weeks to go. Way more than I planned for.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:22 pm 

donspiracy and me have an opening for two at 11:52 on Sunday at Maple Meadows. $35 w/booking fee. Course is supposed to be in fine shape. Check golfnow.com to confirm availability.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:38 pm 
100000 CLUB

I might be 50-50 for that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:42 am 

Taking this weekend off. I'll try to get out next Saturday and then in a scramble event next Sunday. Decided to tally up the final stats for the year.
Got out a total of 61 times for 18 holes ( 56 times I played my own ball - stats below ). Also got out 13 times for nine hole rounds. Improved average score
by just under 2 strokes. Fairways went up by half a percent and greens almost 1.5%. Putts down half a stroke a round. Biggest improvement
was scrambling which improved 6% total. A lot of work to do in the off season but it was a heck of a year and never imagined I would get out as
much as I did.

76.6 stroke average
43.8% fairways
52.4% greens
31.43 putts
0.911 3 putts a round
53.7% scrambling
34% sand saves
89 birdies and 4 eagles

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:46 am 

Very interesting news in the golf world....

Dick’s Sporting Goods, working together with liquidators, acquired Golfsmith for about $70 million at a bankruptcy auction, according to a Reuters report.

It’s been a rough couple of months for Golfsmith, which was reported to be looking for a buyer two months ago and confirmed the rumors when it filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy last month.

Now the process is fully complete, as Golfsmith appears to have a buyer. Reuters indicates that Dick’s will pay about $70 million for all of Golfsmith’s intellectual property and inventory. That figure is about $26 million less than Canada’s Golf Town paid for the chain in 2012.

Dick’s will buy the chain from Golfsmith International Holdings, which operated 109 stores in the United States. Together, Golfsmith and Golf Town became one of the largest golf retailers in the world. Golfsmith and Golf Town together are owned by OMERS Private Equity Inc., part of the Ontario municipal employees’ pension fund, according to a Bloomberg report.

Golfsmith’s leveraged growth attempts earlier this decade led to debt approaching $200 million, according to multiple reports. The company stated in the Chapter 11 filing that it has assets and debts of as much as $500 million.

Reuters reported that Dick’s plans to keep “at least” 30 Golfsmith stores open and retain about 500 employees. As of Friday the auction result is still pending approval from a U.S. bankruptcy court judge.

Dick’s, which purchased bankrupt competitor Sports Authority this year and is already the largest U.S. sporting goods retailer, looks to be in line to significantly increase its golf holdings. Dick’s already operates its own golf shops in Golf Galaxy. As Reuters noted, it is unclear at the moment whether Dick’s will re-brand the remaining Golfsmith shops.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:12 am 
100000 CLUB

90 at Gleneagles White on Saturday. So So with the driver, decent with the irons, best I putted all year. We had 8 of us and did a Foursomes event like the Ryder Cup. My buddy and I won the first 4 holes, had the lead cut to 2 up by #8, then we rattled off 6 straight that ended with me sinking a long par putt on the par 5 #13 (with a lost ball on the hole) to clinch it for us. I only had one 3 putt on the day, and was able to drain about a half dozen putts of 8'-12' to save par/bogey. Shot 43 on the back with a double bogey on the last hole. Not sure if I will get out again this year. If I dont, this was a positive way to end an overall very disappointing golf season for me.

A few leaves and wet spots here and there, but the course overall was in very nice shape. Greens were rolling true, not too fast but not too slow either. Pace of play was fucking dreadful. Teed off around 10:20, and didn't make it back to my car until after 3:30. Of course, there was no ranger to be seen all day.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:04 am 
100000 CLUB

44 as I walked 9 holes on Saturday. No warmup, no putting before hand which lead to a double bogey on the first hole and a rough day putting with three 3putts in the first 4 holes. Only one wasted shot-- a snap hook with a driver that fortunately stayed in play-- and I hit 3 GIR. Misssed two birdie putts by a combined 6". Weather was perfect and while the course was pretty beat up, you cannot complain about $10 golf. May get out once or twice more in the weather cooperates. Going to try and work on putting and chipping during the winter, as that sort of practice can be done indoors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:11 am 

Cleaned up and put all golf gear down in the basement for the season. I'd like to get to the gym and shed some weight and gain strength and
flexibility for next year. I really dislike going to the gym so it is going to take a real shift in my thinking to get there and make it happen for
myself. I lost about 8-10 lbs over the golf season from the walking but need to shed an additional 25. Hoping to start getting out in mid March
again next year but you never can tell.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:52 am 

http://www.golfsmith.com/sitedown.html

All four IL Golfsmith locations are closing and they will be trying to liquidate product. Just a heads up for anyone wanting to stock up on anything or looking for
a good deal on a club or clubs.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
http://www.footjoy.com/myjoys-custom-go ... ?packId=91

These look pretty bad ass

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next