It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I went out and played 12 holes tonight. My home course is a bit old school in the sense that the front nine goes out, and the back nine comes in, but there is a good spot to cut off after 8 and jump over to 15. I was happy to make six pars. I am still in a brace that restricts my movement and that makes it hard to stay down on shots, especially off the fairway. I realized that once I get the ball within 100 yards it seems unrestricted.

I played pretty much pain free, but the true test will be how my ankle feels in the morning. I am planning on playing again on Sunday as of now.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 2:33 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Decided at the last minute to go out and play 9 holes. I was glad I did because I hit the ball very well, the best I have in probably 6 weeks. Lost my opening drive and took double bogey on the 1st, but played the remaining eight holes in + 2. 1 birdie, 4 pars, 0 three putts. Finish with 39, par is 35. Only hooked Iron shot, and four of the six times I used driver it worked out very well. A couple of them really went a long way. Very hot and muggy, but I was glad I went out.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Frank Coztansa wrote:
https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t31.0-8/fr/cp0/e15/q65/14047284_10100695849219819_5058462503691549148_o.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9

My 1st swing of the day at River Oaks. 148 yard par 3. The weather and my game went straight downhill after this. Got 10 holes in and did no better than bogey the rest of the way out. Ive turned in to a hack :(

That picture reminded me of a round my buddy and I played a few years ago. We were playing at Tanna Farms. Hole #2 is a par 5. We both hit the green in three, and made the birdie putts. I was out.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 3:57 pm 
100000 CLUB

Thats pretty neat. Especially cuz you both made the bird. You each could have taken another 30 swings and not gotten the two balls that close again. How far out were you hitting 3?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2016 4:14 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Thats pretty neat. Especially cuz you both made the bird. You each could have taken another 30 swings and not gotten the two balls that close again. How far out were you hitting 3?

I hit a gap wedge, so about 125 yards.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2016 8:43 pm 

Made it 18 holes today and shot 87. Wearing that ankle brace, and not trusting it yet really makes it hard to hit solid shots off the fairway. Off the tee is fine, and inside 75 yards is fine, but need a little more time to get the "in between" game to get back to normal.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2016 6:51 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Got out both Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I'd say I am hitting the ball about as solidly all around as I have all season but my putter has decided
to completely leave me. The putting has been a strength all year until the last week or so and now it seems as though I can't make anything. I hit 10
fairways and 12 greens yesterday. I had one birdie on a par 5 because I was next to the green in two and chipped it right next to the hole. The other
11 greens I hit I don't think I even hit the hole once. I doubled a hole on each side and finished with a 76. I tried to putt out of a bunker on a par 3
as I had seen the guys I play with do it all the time but I guess it takes some practice because the ball rolled back into the bunker. I doubled the last
when my ball went right off the tee and I found it in between three trees. I had to crawl in between the trees and make a little punch half swing to
pop it out into play. I really have fallen in love with my irons, I wasn't sure at the beginning of the season when they weren't going anywhere.
Trying to get out and play as much as I can these next two months. I'll definitely hang it up Oct 30th.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:57 am 

Sometimes I just can't help myself. I took the afternoon off yesterday and figured I would get some things done around the house and then golf before
I had to pick my stepson up from football practice. I knew that it was supposed to rain but thought that the rain would be staying closer to the lake.
Teed off by 2 and was playing well with four straight pars and one in the fairway on the tough fifth. The skies open and the rain comes down in sheets.
I thought it would pass so I hid out in the woods for about ten minutes with my rain jacket on. I had forgotten my umbrella in my Jeep so that was mistake
#1. Mistake #2 wasn't accepting a ride from another group heading in so when I threw in the towel after 10 minutes I walked all the way back in which was
about a good ten minute walk. My whole bag was just drenched. Water sloshing around inside the old Waterproof FootJoys. What an idiot I am sometimes.

Had time to update my stats for 2016 through 45 rounds so far this season. I have been on a tear since early June when I busted my thumb.

43% fairways ( usually miss a few just by a matter of yards )
52.5% greens ( trying to get it up closer to 60% )
31.6 putts ( putting ahead of schedule )
53.8% scrambling ( Been pretty solid this year but still need it 10 pts higher )

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm 
100000 CLUB

I played terribly yesterday for the most part at Silver Lake, south course. I stopped keeping score after the 12th hole, but had a 55 on the front 9 and was on pace for a similar score on the back. I did par # 3-4-5 and #12 & #18 which was nice.

The reason that I stopped filling out the scorecard is that I got into a fight on the 12th hole. I am half ashamed and half proud of it. I accidently hit a 5iron into the group in front of us. I usually hit that club ~160-165 yards, the one yesterday had to go at least 210 yards into a greenside bunker. There was a marker that said 202 and I was at least 20 paces behind it. It was supposed to be a layup into a par 5 green, and it was out of thick grass and got thru a low hanging willow tree so it was a very improbable shot. On top of that, given the way I was playing. I never thought I would hit it that far and it was not my intention anyway. That has happened to me before a couple times where a guy will really get a hold of one, come up and apologize and that is usually that.

As I walked up to the green, the guys were on the next tee yelling back at us, so I told them what happened, that it was a ball hit incredibly flush on accident, and said I was sorry. Well one big, drunk old dude would have none of that. He kept yelling he didn't care what I hit blah blah. Again I said I was sorry to told him to play his par 3 and forget about it. He MF'd me, and I MF'd him. Then he walked over to me (at least 50 yards), threw a punch, tried to get me in a headlock, I jabbed him in the ribs a couple of times to get out of his grip, blocked another punch he tried to throw at my face, then swung my sand wedge and busted up his hand pretty good. At that point a couple of other guys intervened, and I dropped my club and walked away. I have a shiner today, but this dude either has a broken hand or needed some stiches for sure as blood was dripping pretty good from his left hand. As he walked back to his group, he yelled that he was going to call the cops about 5 different times because I 'assaulted him with a weapon.' I yelled "you charged at me and threw the first punch mother fucker so let me save you the trouble." Once he saw me on my phone with the cops, he hightailed it out there.

So like I said, it was kind of stupid but on the other hand I wasn't going to back down to the guy even if he was bigger, especially after I had admitted to being wrong and apologized twice. Given the way I have played over the last ~8 weeks and this incident, its probably best to shut down on golf for a while, with the exception of a 10 hole rain check that I have to use by Sept 20. I did, however, get out of the bunker and two putted from about 12' for my par after the bru ha ha. I guess next time I need to learn to just keep quiet and move on. Its not worth escalating things over something as silly as an errant golf shot.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:05 pm 

Thug league.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:40 pm 

Nas Coztansa.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:50 pm 

Played today without my ankle brace and was pain free. Shot an 80 with a bad 3 putt double from about 15' that cost me my 79. I'd rather shoot 81 than 80.

Front nine was really slow. There was a foursome of beginners that were playing two groups ahead of us. They were fully aware that they were slow and were letting groups play through and seemed to be having fun so nothing to get mad about. We caught up to them on 4, and got through them on 8. Got into rhythm after that.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:50 am 

Called this morning and got the last available tee time at Whistling Straits for Sept 24th, now I just have to wait and hope the weather works out.
Apparently a foursome had just backed out so they could fit the two of us in there. My dad is really looking forward to it so kind of fun to hear a
66 year old guy get excited over something.

As for golf, I've about had it with my putting troubles the last few weeks. I am going to switch putters for the first time in over 5 years. I know
it isn't the putter but I psychologically need to do something different and I have a putter that is a couple inches longer than the one I am currently
using so I think not slouching over it as much might help. 37 putts yesterday helped seal the deal and put the current putter in the basement.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 8:36 am 

Taking a half day today and will roll the dice and try to get out and stay dry in the process. Playing Saturday and Sunday morning as well.
Trying to get game tuned up for 3 tournaments in October and a trip to Whistling Straits next Saturday. I took my two back up putters to
the practice green last night and got mixed results. My original Scotty Cameron doesn't feel right anymore, like the weighting is messed
up. I didn't like it at all and had no feel. I had an old Ping putter in the basement that I had several tennis wraps on the grip which is what
I used to do before the Super Stroke grips came out. I guess that shows how long it had been since I had used it. Anyway I hit that really
well but I would need to put a new grip on it. Much softer feel with the copper head or whatever metal it was than the hard milled Scotty.
I could be aggressive with putts. In the meantime the old putter is back in and it worked earlier in the season so I just need to fix my
stroke until maybe a new grip on the Ping.

edit -- was curious about the Ping as I have never seen one quite like it. Looks like it was made back in the late 60s starting in 1967.
I have no idea how I ever got my hands on it. When I played in high school and college I was buying and trading clubs with people all
the time so I am guessing that is what happened here. Interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:23 pm 
100000 CLUB

I was finally able to keep things all together for a full round yesterday as I shot 84 at River Oaks. 6 pars and 1 three putt double bogey. Everything else was single bogey...Except for the 17th hole A short par 5 about 440 yards. I hit my best Drive of the day and then put a 4-iron on the Green. Missed the 25-30 foot Eagle putt by about 6 inches as the ball rolled just in front of the hole, but I was able to tap in for birdie. It was the first time I had an eagle putt. Ive chipped my 3rd shot on a par 5 a few times, and chipped in once on a short par 4, but never a putt for eagle.

It was very refreshing to go out and hit MANY good shots and not struggle just to keep scores in the double digits like I had been.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:17 pm 

I had a good old fashioned case of the shanks today. It sucked. Somehow managed to keep it under 90.

There is nothing worse than standing over a shot when your last one was a shank.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:39 am 

Back to hitting the ball solidly and after putting the putter in time out it came back to life yesterday allowing me to go low. I got in my 50th
eighteen hole round yesterday. I haven't played this much since I was a 15 year old kid.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I'm shocked that Frank was an asshole on the golf course.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:42 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
89 at Big Run on Sunday. First visit, played the whites at around 6700 yards. Super fun course, but a 5 hour round on account of too many groups playing the tips at 7100 yards.

donspiracy does not dig sour beer.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 11:50 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
89 at Big Run on Sunday. First visit, played the whites at around 6700 yards. Super fun course, but a 5 hour round on account of too many groups playing the tips at 7100 yards.

We call it Big Fun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:58 pm 
100000 CLUB

Big Run would be a great course if you could ever finish in less than 5 hours. The pace of play therr is always super slow.

How did you guys do on the 1/2 mile long #9?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Franky T wrote:
I had a good old fashioned case of the shanks today. It sucked. Somehow managed to keep it under 90.

There is nothing worse than standing over a shot when your last one was a shank.

yes there is something way worse. Standing over a shot when your last 8 have been shanks.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Furious Styles wrote:

89 at Big Run is basically like shooting a 76 at a normal course so big congrats!

Course is quite an enigma. Probably the best layout of any course in Chicago in terms of elevation, but the greens are a mess because they made them too hard so they fixed that by purposely keeping them in a shag carpet state.

No range, but they make up for that by offering the best bacon egg and cheese sandwich at any golf course.

Anyone who plays the tips there should be forced to produce proof of a sub -5 index and a driver distance minimum of 270 yards.

#9 is a joke of a hole, should honestly be a par 7.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 2:27 am 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
yeah... my first shot at Big Run 56-59 for 115.

I may have been at a wedding until midnight and then drinking until 5am for an 11:18 tee time. Had enough time to change into my golf shoes and drop my phone in the parking lot, then head to the first tee.

Lost 2 balls on the first hole. Got a legit 8. Bogeyed 4th hole as that was the first shortie at 145 yards. I am getting really confident with the 52 and 58 degree Cleveland wedges. The elevated tees and even more elevated greens were ridiculous, hilarious, and picturesque.

The second part three, 7th hole was not as intimidating as advertised. I still hit it short and proceeded to bazooka the light chip 2nd shot across the back of the green, was just glad to put something lower than a 6 on the scorecard. Not the proudest moment of the round, that happened on 13. :D

So... 9th hole, 600 and 5 damn yards. My second shot with 5 wood went at a 45 degree angle to my right, not a slice, but straight towards the base of the tees of the 8th hole. Go to get back on track and hit it across to the left side of the 1st hole fairway. Never lost the ball and ended up with a 9. Just a dumb hole with 2 level green, Mr. Styles got a par on it. He and my coworker Dan scored 43 and 44 respectivley on the front half.

Started the back half by leaving my wedge on the 10th green. Oy vey indeed. That must of generated some serious bad karma as we were all eaten alive by the 11th hole. We shot a 23 between the three of us. Survived until the next par three 13th. The elevated tees with fountains and flowers and a river protecting the pin a mere 185 yards away.

Welcome to the following Sidebar presented by Two Hearted Ale and errybodys favorite weed dispensary, The Grass Station. Some father and son PAIR, not foursome of old men with their balls dragging along the course, but two human beings. They were not able to pull away from our threesome with me hitting 6-7 shots per hole. Unbelievable that they were holding us up.

Back to the 13th, I chose to layup and then wedge to the green over the river going thru the middle of the hole. Both Mr. Styles and Dan lose a ball in the landscape. Bully for me as I bogeyed that muthafunker with the two putt on that funhouse of a green. I finally have the honor on 14 and barely get past the ladies tee, even with a mulligan tee shot. Hey man, the pressure was too much.

15th hole, 585 yards. At this point i am fading from the heat and Wild Sour i was forced to drink. Holy beejeezus, wasnt ready for that ride my palette was taken on. To make it even more interesting, Mr. Styles drives the cart straight down the cliff known as tee box.

Make it to the last par three 16th hole. It was beautiful. Water on the left. 175 yards with a bunker along the whole front of the green. Bunkers and then trees surrounding the far side. It gave me something I needed that day, perspective. Then proceeded to tee up a 7 iron and put it right into the water, short of the green and bunker. Only after heading back to the carts did my playing partners tell me that I had the ball placed too high on the tee. Fuck both of you! Lol.

I hit the drive of the day on 17 and manage to get my 3rd and final bogey of the round. Mr. Styles hits his second shot to the fringe of the green. Then sinks a birdie putt, on the final rotation of the ball it goes in!!! Totally fucking awesome moment.

Too bad I only had 17 holes of golf in me. The final hole was just the cherry on top of a day that felt like I was a lot further away from the house than Lemont. Shot another 9, not counting the three missed shots by grounding my 5 wood nowhere close to the ball after hitting my tee shot to the front of the 11th hole green. :oops:

Such a wonderful time. Was worried when reading the scorecard and exceeded my expectations with my play and being the first time on the course. Would love to get back out there in cooler(and more sober) conditions in October.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:09 am 
100000 CLUB

A par on #9 is seriously impressive. The best I ever got on that was a 6, and that was with putting a good 60' lag putt from the top tier of that silly green to within maybe 4-5' of the cup on the lower tier. I've never broken 100 at Big Run. I agree with shakes that upper 80s there is like mid 70s elsewhere.

Breaking 120 on that course is good for you, Don. Your game must be coming around a bit. Keep it up!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:09 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
How did you guys do on the 1/2 mile long #9?

I made par - driver, 5 wood, 5 wood, wedge to 4 feet and sank the putt.

Big Run would be the perfect course for a CSFMB outing, if not for the lack of a range. Only a 35 minute drive too.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:01 pm 
100000 CLUB

Was back to my Jekyl & Hyde ways as I played The Sanctuary on Wednesday. 45 on the front with 2 lost balls, which isn't too bad. 55 on the back with 3 lost balls and taking 2 shots to get out of 3 bunkers. Really disappointed in that as getting out of greenside bunkers was one of the few things I had done well all year. Other than that, I didn't hit anything terribly, but didn't hit anything particularly well either outside of a few long drives. My putting was pretty bad as I had four 3 putts.

Interested to hear how Tbone did at Whistling Straits.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:29 am 

Well my "quick" report on Whistling Straits was that it was a great experience to have with my dad and the weather worked out well. It was mid to high 60s with a little
breeze but not much more than a club or so. Most of the holes run north/south and the wind was coming in out of the east so it was mostly a crosswind. It really was a
once in a lifetime kind of experience to have and glad it worked out that my dad could go. He played well and had a 93 which was not bad considering he only played a
few times since having a port taken out of his chest 10 days prior to playing and couldn't play at all for 7 weeks while he had that in.

My score of 86 was not really indicative of how I played overall but I ran into various troubles out there, some self inflicted. The caddie had pointed out that on various
holes they had chosen not to open the fairways back up from the PGA a year ago. I guess people want to play the course under similar conditions that the pros did so
the fairways were tight and the rough was pretty gnarly which caused some troubles. I had a pretty good caddie which was helpful but unless you have played there a
few times it is tough to pick out a line of sight on a number of holes and know where you can miss. He had me teeing off with a 1 iron almost exclusively which worked
out well for the most part as I was hitting it ok. Greens were fast and true but my biggest problem was I wasn't hitting them in regulation. I was four over going into
#9 and feeling ok about that but made a double on number nine after spraying the ball to the right off the tee. Frustrating way to finish that front.

Back nine started the self inflicted pain when the shanks arrived. Came out of nowhere. Despite a shanked 2nd shot I got up and down on 10 and birdied 11.
After that I doubled the short par 3 next hole dunking a shanked tee ball into Lake Michigan. Scraped and clawed and kept it together until #17 and #18 and
doubled both of those which was maddening. Those are kind of the signature holes and I messed them both up. I straight shanked 4 shots on the back but other
than that it was a glorious day.

I know that shakes had some not so glowing things to say about the course. I see where he is coming from. A lot of the bunkers around the greens are not raked and
are not filled with nice sand like you might expect. I could see how that could make you mad especially if it cost you some strokes. It would be impossible to rake all
the bunkers out there and in fact the bunkers in the fairways are often hard packed and not hard to hit out of. I only found the sand a handful of times but I would say
it was mostly luck because I was near it all day. The course is not pristine like you might expect when you actually walk it. Gets a lot of play despite the ridiculous
amount of money it costs to play. Like a lot of women, it looks great from a distance but if you really pick it apart during your walk you can see quite a few flaws but
it doesn't take away from the experience. The layout is outstanding and asks you to make some fun and difficult shots. The views of the Lake were breath taking as
you could see up and down the shore for miles and miles. Just gorgeous. Best 10 mile walk I have ever taken.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:56 am 

Some of these turned out much darker than I hoped as it was cloudy and I was trying to zoom in a bit too much.
Note that the shot of the big bunker doesn't do it justice. It was at least 12-15 ft deep. The last shots show #17
and #18 and just how difficult the shots into those holes are.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:15 am 
100000 CLUB

Sounds like the weather was near perfect for you, TBone. Really cool pics!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next