It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:02 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
T-Bone wrote:
http://www.golfsmith.com/sitedown.html

All four IL Golfsmith locations are closing and they will be trying to liquidate product. Just a heads up for anyone wanting to stock up on anything or looking for
a good deal on a club or clubs.

Interesting, but boldly announcing 30% off regular prices isn't much of a liquidation...Sorta like the Sports Authority "liquidation" recently, you could find their marked down fitness equipment cheaper online.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:50 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
GoldenJet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

All four IL Golfsmith locations are closing and they will be trying to liquidate product. Just a heads up for anyone wanting to stock up on anything or looking for

Interesting, but boldly announcing 30% off regular prices isn't much of a liquidation...Sorta like the Sports Authority "liquidation" recently, you could find their marked down fitness equipment cheaper online.

30% is still significant. My guess is that if you are patient the discount will rise, but the selection will likely be picked over. Dicks has way too much inventory and not enough space to
put it all.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:04 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
Golfsmith had some nice Odyssey milled putters that other retailers weren't carrying. Might have to check that out. Like I need another putter...

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:12 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I need a new swing. I can I buy that at Golfsmith?

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:15 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I need a new swing. I can I buy that at Golfsmith?

Too strokey.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:17 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
Golfsmith had some nice Odyssey milled putters that other retailers weren't carrying. Might have to check that out. Like I need another putter...

Eventually you will find the right one :eye: I have 4 in my basement.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 10:45 am 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: Yeah, I'm perfectly content with the two TM center-shafted models I have, but I really love trying out different putters. Way cheaper than trying and buying drivers and irons.

Just put new Iomic Sticky 2.3 tour issue grips on my irons. Holy shit, are these things great. Can't believe the difference a grip can make when it comes to resistance to twisting.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:19 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

:lol: Yeah, I'm perfectly content with the two TM center-shafted models I have, but I really love trying out different putters. Way cheaper than trying and buying drivers and irons.

Just put new Iomic Sticky 2.3 tour issue grips on my irons. Holy shit, are these things great. Can't believe the difference a grip can make when it comes to resistance to twisting.

I really liked playing with the Golf Pride MCC plus 4 Mid Sized this year. I am not sure how big a difference it made with the twisting but I did have good results from the new irons.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:47 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
I used to switch putters all the time. Finally said enough is enough and bought a ping anser like a lot of the pros used and told myself to learn to use it. Screw the others.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Quonset
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

30% is still significant. My guess is that if you are patient the discount will rise, but the selection will likely be picked over. Dicks has way too much inventory and not enough space to
put it all.

I stopped at the Highland Park location.

10% off most clubs. 20% off gloves, hats, shoes. 30%"off accessory stuff. Most is picked over. I may pick up a new demo driver if I go back. Is $200-250 really a deal for a demo club?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:15 pm 

GoldenJet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
GoldenJet wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

put it all.

I stopped at the Highland Park location.

10% off most clubs. 20% off gloves, hats, shoes. 30%"off accessory stuff. Most is picked over. I may pick up a new demo driver if I go back. Is $200-250 really a deal for a demo club?

Depends on what model it is. I was hoping to pick up a demo or last year driver at 25% off or more but I don't live close to any of the stores and will likely wait until February or March.
If you can get a top line driver for $200 and it is in relatively good shape you can call that a nice deal. New drivers, depending on brand name are going for $300-$450 these days. The
only thing I would say is to try to hit it if you can in the simulator.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Very depressing news. I regularly stop by the HP location 1-2x per week over the summer during lunch hour, sometimes just to shoot the shit with the guys working there.

Stopped by today, discounts are shit. One of the guys even told me they had bigger discounts going a month ago just for end of the summer sale. Went and said good bye to Ron, the club fitter. Thanked him for his service. Guy's a fantastic fitter, I'm sure he'll land on his feet. Said he would either retire or go somewhere else.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 5:19 pm 
100000 CLUB

shakes wrote:
Said he would either retire or go somewhere else.
Wont everybody?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:27 pm 

83 at Chevy Chase today. A GLORIOUS 52 degrees and sunny.

You nancyboys who put your clubs away should be ashamed.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 4:29 pm 
100000 CLUB

Good stuff Furious. I spent my morning playing with wood. Im hoping to get out once more before the weather really gets cold.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:49 am 

Furious Styles wrote:

Nice shooting. I used to be a guy who would play until the courses closed but I just don't enjoy it anymore. I don't mind the cold or weather but
I just find searching for golf balls in the leaves and teeing off later in the morning annoying. Plus if there is a frost delay that is a deal breaker
for me. Glad you are able to get out this late in the season. Global Warming making mid-western golf great again.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
It looks like the weather will be nice this week. I'm going to try to sneak out and play 9 holes on Wed or Thu after I get Chus Jr. II off to school.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:04 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

Nice shooting. I used to be a guy who would play until the courses closed but I just don't enjoy it anymore. I don't mind the cold or weather but
I just find searching for golf balls in the leaves and teeing off later in the morning annoying. Plus if there is a frost delay that is a deal breaker
for me. Glad you are able to get out this late in the season. Global Warming making mid-western golf great again.

Chevy Chase does a nice job blowing the leaves, so it's not really an issue there. Plus, those out playing are generally moving at a nice pace. I'm off Wednesday and plan on hitting a links course to avoid the leaf issue again.

T-Bone wrote:
I really liked playing with the Golf Pride MCC plus 4 Mid Sized this year. I am not sure how big a difference it made with the twisting but I did have good results from the new irons.

That is a great grip. I would definitely play the MCC Plus 4 if they made a ribbed version (I put 2 extra wraps under my lower hand).

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:28 pm 
100000 CLUB

Hows the thumb, Chus?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:06 pm 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hows the thumb, Chus?

It hurts from time to time, but it's a lot better.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:16 pm 

I stepped out to play 9 yesterday while the boys were in school. I played the front nine on the #1 course at St. Andrew's. The course was wide open. As I teed off on #2, I could see a pair of walkers teeing off on #4. I birdied #3, which is a 158 yd, par 3. I didn't catch the walkers until the par 3 7th hole. They said they would hit their tee shots on the par 5 8th hole, and let me play through. I displayed true alpha status by outdriving these Low T betas by fifty yards. I hit a nice chip that left a 15' downhill putt for birdie. I ran it past six feet, and then ran it past the hole on the way back up. That was a disappointing bogey.

I shot 45 on a par 35, which isn't too bad considering I hadn't even picked up a club since 9/25, when I played with Furious Styles.

I only played three times this year, but I took huge steps forward, especially hitting my irons.

<º)))><

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 4:37 pm 

88 at Prairie landing. Course was pristine, weather was GLORIOUS.

Hit up Golfsmith, snagged two of my preferred putter grips for 40% off.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:41 pm 
100000 CLUB

I had what is perhaps what is perhaps my all time Jekyll & Hyde round of golf today at River Oaks; 58-39. Figures that during what would likely be my final 9 holes of the season, I put everything together. Hit the hell out of my driver, dropped two nine irons within 8' of the pin (one for birdie, one to save par after a lost ball), and on a 303 yard par 4 with the wind at my back, I drove the green. Granted it rolled thru a "bunker" that was more like cart path, but an eagle putt is an eagle putt. Of course, I walked off the green with a par. The front 9 was absolutely dreadful, save for pars on the two par 3's.

Was paired with with an 82 year old dude named Melvin. Of course he didn't hit the ball very far, but man he was with it for 82. He also probably beat me by 10 strokes on the front :lol: Wind made it tough on some holes, but you can't ask for much better golf weather in mid November.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 11:16 am 

The course I played most of my golf at this year had the last open day yesterday. I got the ok from the pro to head out and go on a ball search so planning on
heading out on Saturday. Picked up an 18 ft ball retriever yesterday at Dick's. Man they really bend you over for those things now a days. It's a hell of a lot
nicer than the ones I had as a kid but $50 is pretty steep. Anyway I figure I can easily fill up a backpack with balls and if I can find a couple dozen ProV's or
equivalent balls it will be worth the effort. I used to love doing that kind of thing as a kid so I figured I'd try it and at least it is a chance to get outside and
walk through the woods and on the course when it is empty. Possible snow on Sunday up here so that is the only day it is going to work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:22 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
The course I played most of my golf at this year had the last open day yesterday. I got the ok from the pro to head out and go on a ball search so planning on
heading out on Saturday. Picked up an 18 ft ball retriever yesterday at Dick's. Man they really bend you over for those things now a days. It's a hell of a lot
nicer than the ones I had as a kid but $50 is pretty steep. Anyway I figure I can easily fill up a backpack with balls and if I can find a couple dozen ProV's or
equivalent balls it will be worth the effort. I used to love doing that kind of thing as a kid so I figured I'd try it and at least it is a chance to get outside and
walk through the woods and on the course when it is empty. Possible snow on Sunday up here so that is the only day it is going to work.

My preferred ball is the Taylormade Project A, in case you were wondering.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:53 am 

Furious Styles wrote:
T-Bone wrote:

My preferred ball is the Taylormade Project A, in case you were wondering.

I only found one TaylorMade Project A. Went out on Saturday for three hours and actually had a blast. My biggest problem was the new ball retriever I got. I really
couldn't get the hang of it. There is a spring that engages the ball and then the mechanism encases the ball so it won't fall out. I didn't really like it overall and kind
of wish I had an old school one. I lost as many balls as I grabbed using that thing from further than 12 feet away. Very frustrating. Not only that but about 90 minutes
in, the thing formed a kink in about the 3rd telescoping piece and I couldn't get it to close down. After messing with it and trying to bend it back it just busted clean off.
That left me with a 2 ft ball retriever which was still useful for balls near the edge, but essentially junk. I was pissed to say the least. I managed to walk off the
course with 132 balls and 30 of them were Pro V's, TaylorMade or Callaway pro style balls. I am guessing I left another 75 in the water easy. In fact there is a huge
pond next to the clubhouse I was going to hit last and I saw dozens just sitting there waiting to get picked but I couldn't reach them. I called the company this morning
and they are sending out a new ball retriever this week. I'll try to return the $50 one to Dicks and then I think we will all be happy. Anyway, I wasn't sure how many
I would find, if it would be worth my time or if it would be fun. I had the iPod on and really had a fun time doing that. I bet I hadn't gone in 10 years or more.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Have you guys heard about the Costco golf balls? They can't keep them in stock. Getting great reviews too.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/costco- ... t-of-stock

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 6 characters
They perform better than Pro-V's in almost every major category.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:41 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Ugueth Will Shiv You wrote:
They perform better than Pro-V's in almost every major category.

I saw that. I'm definitely going to buy a dozen this spring and try them out.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17