It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:38 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Franky T wrote:
QuadCityDope wrote:
Franky T wrote:
Heading down to Peoria tomorrow for my annual Sunday/Monday rounds at Weaver Ridge with 15 other guys. If you've never played there it is worth the drive. Beautiful setting and a top notch golf course. My game has been inconsistent lately so I'm expecting one good round and one bad round. That's they way my summer has been going. The bonus is Hoops pizza tomorrow night followed by a visit to Big Al's.

Played there once, really liked the back 9, especially the long, downhill par 3 that runs parallel with 74.

Was it in good shape and what did they charge you?

It was in OK shape. We go every year and I was a little disappointed this year. The fairways were in great shape, but the greens were spongy and pretty beat up. The rough was brutal and the bunkers were inconsistent. With the greens being so beat up and the rough being so long I wondered if they had just had a tournament right before we got there.

Can't remember for sure, but it was around $50 each day.

Probably an outing. They have a lot of them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:37 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
QuadCityDope wrote:
What's anyone thoughts with Nike getting out of the club, ball and bag business?

One of the best drivers I ever hit was an 8.5 SQ Tour with an x-stiff Diamana Blueboard (similar to Tiger's) in 2006-2007. Face cracked and tried a couple of other Nike drivers (Sumo, Covert) with results that weren't as good as the SQ Tour.

My second hole in one was with a One Platinum on a 163 yard hole.

Still have a set of VR Pro Combos with a 54 and 58 VR wedges, Nippon Modus 3 120 x-stiff shafts. Really good clubs but the shafts are too much for my current swing.

Hopefully Rory can get a putter and some confidence back and turn his game around. From reading some golf sites, sounds like he and Tiger will continue to wear Nike apparel and with Day and Dustin Johnson both being equipment free agents at the end of the season, maybe they'll be sporting the swoosh as well.

My thought about Nike clubs was:

If Tiger couldn't hit a Nike driver, how the heck can a hack like me?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:51 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
I have never tried any Nike equipment besides a ball. I have not personally golfed with anyone using a Nike club. It is probably wise they revert back to shoes and clothes only.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
Never have used any Nike golf equipment. I am sure I have played their ball a few times but just because I found one in the woods.
Never liked the look of a majority of their stuff. I did think their blades were pretty but never took the brand seriously when it comes
to golf gear. I like what they are trying to do with some of the golf shoes even though I plan to stick to the traditional looking shoes
made by FootJoy. I think the best news from them leaving is that some people are going to get a nice deal on some Nike clubs that
maybe are looking to start out in the game. I am considering getting some for my 13 yr old stepson if I can find some with slashed
pricing.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:19 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
pittmike wrote:
I have never tried any Nike equipment besides a ball.

I like these:

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
T-Bone wrote:
Never have used any Nike golf equipment. I am sure I have played their ball a few times but just because I found one in the woods.
Never liked the look of a majority of their stuff. I did think their blades were pretty but never took the brand seriously when it comes
to golf gear. I like what they are trying to do with some of the golf shoes even though I plan to stick to the traditional looking shoes
made by FootJoy. I think the best news from them leaving is that some people are going to get a nice deal on some Nike clubs that
maybe are looking to start out in the game. I am considering getting some for my 13 yr old stepson if I can find some with slashed
pricing.

Haven't thought of that. Both my kids need a set and I should keep my eye out. We should share specials we see here.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:51 am 

pizza_Place: Dino's
I was a bigfan of the TA2 Spin and Feel/Speed balls back in the day. The PD Soft Chus plays is a great value ball. Liked the Method line of putters and the SV wedges but never gamed them.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Quitting golf for the 3rd time this summer after yesterday's debacle. Tried playing Friday, Saturday morning and Sunday early morning. Limited rest and sleep, got on the course Sunday and the shanks came back. Fired a smooth 98. This after an 88 on Saturday where I missed 4 putts inside 2 feet.

Supposed to go up to Green Lake this weekend, don't even want to go.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Midlothian Country Club, hello!

played my first round there with future father in law (who is a member) and future brother in law (who has played the course at least a half dozen times).

Get there in plenty of time for some warm ups on the range. 1:30 tee time under ideal conditions yesterday. There was a couple of groups ahead of us playing in some kind of members tourney. The future FIL had played the course Friday AND Saturday during the first rounds of the tourney. Needless to say, he was warmed up

First tee, I slice the drive straight into the trees on the right. Can't find the ball, awesome. It would not be the last ball to go missing...
I take the freebie drop, hit two great approach shots(for me) and get a 5 on the hole. Just glad to not hit anybody or wedge the chip shot over the back a of the green.

Course overall was long and narrow with a couple 200 yard part 3's. Finished the front 9 with a 56, which was between the FIL and BIL. It clouded over as we got back to the clubhouse for the back 9. The stogies were busted out and the shooting just got worse and worse for myself and the BIL.

We both finished with a 114 final score. I was fine with that for busting my cherry there and the BIL was fuming mad. Not even a fine cigar and quality ice cold beer could get him out of seeing red. Mostly because I beat him on the front half and my game is poor and sloppy at best.

The old man shot a 96. He would have a couple of shankaroo tee shots, and still be on the green in 4. It was a great time and look forward to getting back on that course a few more times this season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:27 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I played 9 holes this weekend at a Racine County muni course. It was quite short, the greens were sloped and generally tuff to hold and hit, but they were in pretty nice shape. I hit my irons damn well, but again could not hit a driver without snap hooking it. Looking back, given the lack of length on the course, I should have been using a 3 or 4 iron to tee off the entire time. However, it was a guys weekend bachelor party and there were MANY beers consumed during the round. It was a 2 man scramble as we were playing for a bit of money. My cousins buddy and I finished at +2, yet we bogeyed 3 of the final 4 holes due to the aforementioned beer. I got us up and down out of a bunker on #9 for par, but the final group sank about a 20' birdie putt to finish at even to knock us out of the money.

Not sure if I will make it out this weekend. If I do, it will be at the crack of dawn before Lakemoorfest.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2016 7:06 am 
100000 CLUB

Got out the other day and managed to barely break 90 at Coyote Run...ended up with 89. My drives are still terrible with the snap hooks, and every so often my front side is flying open on my irons causing some pulled shots. It was all or nothing as I had SIX lost balls, but managed to get 7 pars and 2 birdies. 5 of the 6 holes with a lost ball I was able to get a bogey. My short game was really good as I 0 putted twice (drained 2 hybrid putts off the green), 1 putted twice, and did not have a single 3 putt.

The last few holes I was hitting my 3 iron off the tee, and I was out driving my Dad with his driver which shows the lack of distance in his game. He had his best round in 30 years. I've easily played well over 100 rounds with him over the last 5 years and it was by far the best I have seen him play. I don't think he missed more than 1 fairway with a driver, he consistently hit his 3 wood 160 into or just in front of the green, and the one bunker he went in to he put about 6' past the hole. His short game was absolutely was on fire, as he drained about 10 putts from 10-12' and hit his trademark bump and run shot to within 10' at least 6 times from inside of 100 yards.

Frustrating at times, but also very fun. Seems I might have figured out a bit of why my game had gone so far south so that's a plus. The biggest plus was seeing the look on my old man's face after he drained his par putt on 18 and I told him that was for a 77. He said he could not remember breaking 80 since my sister was born which was 1985.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:42 am 

Played Lawsonia a couple times over the weekend. Figrued something out at the range that was game changing. I feel like I lose control of the club sometimes in my swing, like the grip is moving in my hand. A buddy of mine came up with the brilliant suggestion that maybe I should grip the club tighter. For some reason I never thought of that. Got to the range and started gripping it like a vice and it made a big difference in a good way. Although there were some weird misses towards the end of the weekend, a big ballooning right turn slice with a 9 iron, something I've never seen before. also some hard pulls. SO its a work in progress.

Still can't putt for shit, shot an 84 Saturday with 4 3putts, all for bogeys. driving the ball well again, hit 20/28 fairways on the weekend. 15 GIRS. But, 34 and 39 putts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:36 am 

Was able to get out for 9 holes yesterday and it went ok. I missed a handful of shots as I haven't been playing much the last few weeks.
Felt good to just get out and play again. My putting and chipping has been in a steady decline so I think I am going to head up to
Shepherds Crook, put on the headphones and practice for an hour or so tonight to try to get the feel back. Looking forward to not
being out of town anymore this fall so I can get back to my usual weekend golf schedule. Open to possibly meeting up to play in
the next few months if anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 12:32 pm 

Looking to play Sunday. Who's down?

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:22 pm 

Furious Styles wrote:

I think I am out this weekend. I was asked to join a regular Sunday group a few weeks back but I honestly wasn't sure if they
were serious or not so I need to check. Also looks pretty rainy ( at least in SE Wisconsin ).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:32 pm 

My golf trip for next week is starting to come together after some hiccups. We were supposed to go to French Lick again, but some reason the idiots who run that place decided August is a great month to aerate and top dress the greens. So we cancelled that trip and decided to throw something together for Wisconsin really quick.

My one buddy drives up from South Bend next Wednesday and crashes at my place. In the morning we are driving to Milwaukee, picking up 2 friends from Florida. Next stop, afternoon tee time at the Bull at Pinehurst Farm. Supposed to be really nice. After head to my parent's place in Green Lake for home base.

Friday the 26: Head to Kohler for noon tee time at Whistling Straits. All tee times were booked all weekend, but I called today on a hunch and they had a bunch of cancellations so grabbed a tee time.

Saturday: 36 at Lawsonia, both courses.

Sunday: Not sure yet. Tried Brown Deer but its booked with outings. Might do Washington County again, but have been there a bunch already. Maybe Morningstar?

Tbone, Hawg, any suggestions for other nice courses in the Milwaukee area or on the way from Green Lake?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 1:50 pm 

shakes wrote:
My golf trip for next week is starting to come together after some hiccups. We were supposed to go to French Lick again, but some reason the idiots who run that place decided August is a great month to aerate and top dress the greens. So we cancelled that trip and decided to throw something together for Wisconsin really quick.

My one buddy drives up from South Bend next Wednesday and crashes at my place. In the morning we are driving to Milwaukee, picking up 2 friends from Florida. Next stop, afternoon tee time at the Bull at Pinehurst Farm. Supposed to be really nice. After head to my parent's place in Green Lake for home base.

Friday the 26: Head to Kohler for noon tee time at Whistling Straits. All tee times were booked all weekend, but I called today on a hunch and they had a bunch of cancellations so grabbed a tee time.

Sunday: Not sure yet. Tried Brown Deer but its booked with outings. Might do Washington County again, but have been there a bunch already. Maybe Morningstar?

Tbone, Hawg, any suggestions for other nice courses in the Milwaukee area or on the way from Green Lake?

That sounds pretty great. No big recommendations for the golf. I played Morningstar last year for a tournament and I thought it was a pretty decent layout.
Lots of elevation changes as it is built into an old quarry or something. I have heard nice things about THe Bog but never played. Also hearing awesome things
about Sentry World but that is going to likely be outside of your driving radius.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:05 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

That sounds pretty great. No big recommendations for the golf. I played Morningstar last year for a tournament and I thought it was a pretty decent layout.
Lots of elevation changes as it is built into an old quarry or something. I have heard nice things about THe Bog but never played. Also hearing awesome things
about Sentry World but that is going to likely be outside of your driving radius.

SentryWorld was almost in the rotation, but got axed when Straits opened up. Its in the opposite direction so wont work for the last day since we need to end up at the airport.

Don't play the Bog, it gets ripped to shreds on the WRX message board.

Morningstar might be the one, I've heard it has great elevation, but might not be in the greatest shape.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:17 pm 

shakes wrote:
T-Bone wrote:
shakes wrote:

SentryWorld was almost in the rotation, but got axed when Straits opened up. Its in the opposite direction so wont work for the last day since we need to end up at the airport.

Don't play the Bog, it gets ripped to shreds on the WRX message board.

Morningstar might be the one, I've heard it has great elevation, but might not be in the greatest shape.

It was in good shape last summer when I played it. I think it would probably suit your needs for an upscale public course. Washington County is nice as well.
Milwaukee has a lot of decent public layouts but little in between decent and the obscenely priced places like Whistling, Blackwolf and Erin Hills. I am not as
familiar with the Milwaukee area golf as I once was since it has been 15 years since I lived up there. Hawg is likely a better source for that kind of knowledge.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:32 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Furious Styles wrote:

I think I am out this weekend. I was asked to join a regular Sunday group a few weeks back but I honestly wasn't sure if they
were serious or not so I need to check. Also looks pretty rainy ( at least in SE Wisconsin ).

The forecast for NE Illinois is just fine. ;) Partly cloudy, high of 73, stray shower.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2016 10:54 am 
100000 CLUB

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... JpIjoidCJ9

My 1st swing of the day at River Oaks. 148 yard par 3. The weather and my game went straight downhill after this. Got 10 holes in and did no better than bogey the rest of the way out. Ive turned in to a hack :(

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:38 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Orthopedist tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed for the "all clear".

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 7:38 am 

Franky T wrote:
Orthopedist tomorrow morning. Keeping my fingers crossed for the "all clear".

Hope you get some good news. The thumb I broke in early June has really been giving me some trouble the last few weeks.
Not so much while I play but constant soreness and it makes a clicking that feels like it is double jointed. Probably just something
I am going to have to live with. It was my choice not to take it easy and visit a doctor to see if I needed surgery or anything.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:49 am 

shakes wrote:

Have a great time with this trip shakes. I am supposed to play Whistling Straits with my dad in about a month on his way up to the Ryder Cup. I'll be interested to get your take
on it. I haven't played it in about 15 years. Was supposed to play earlier this year but broke the thumb a week before the date to play. Did you end up deciding on Morningstar for
Sunday?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 1:52 pm 

T-Bone wrote:
Have a great time with this trip shakes. I am supposed to play Whistling Straits with my dad in about a month on his way up to the Ryder Cup. I'll be interested to get your take
on it. I haven't played it in about 15 years. Was supposed to play earlier this year but broke the thumb a week before the date to play. Did you end up deciding on Morningstar for
Sunday?

Morningstar is closed Sunday for an outing unfortunately, but I was able to get a tee time at Washington County which, as you know, is a fine consolation prize.

I'm also very interested to see Straits again. Played it 6 or 7 years ago which is about 3 years before I got serious about improving my game. Don't remember what I shot, only remember that it was over 100 degrees and it was so hot our caddie passed out twice and the people in the group in front of us left after 9 holes. Our caddie actually passed out after #18 while walking up the hill, ended up falling down the hill with the bags. I informed him that was going to affect his tip which got a big laugh from everyone except the unconscious caddie.

Weather Friday should be much nicer, looking forward to seeing if I can break 90 which I think would be a nice accomplishment up there.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 2:49 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
I am in a small brace now and the doc said I can play. It will restrict my mobility a little bit, but at least I can get back out there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:19 am 

Franky T wrote:
I am in a small brace now and the doc said I can play. It will restrict my mobility a little bit, but at least I can get back out there.

Good to hear :cheers:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 7:28 am 

Got out last night right after work. I was able to tee off just after 3:30 and finished by 7. They got 2 inches of rain at the course so playing
it from the tips just under 7000 yards it was playing much longer with zero roll. Highlight was an eagle which was a full driver, 3 wood, one
putt into a 570 yd par 5. Low light was my chipping. I'm usually pretty good chipping from right next to the green. Can get it within a driver
length more times than not. I couldn't get it within 10 ft and didn't get up and down once of the four tries on the front. I guess I need to work
on that. Playing twice this weekend, tomorrow at Countryside in Mundelein. Playing the old and shorter layout which I haven't played since high
school. I prefer the Prairie course but it was booked up solid and I needed to play early.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

Hope the weather holds off, TBone. I am keeping my clubs in the garage for another week.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2016 9:46 am 

Frank Coztansa wrote:
Hope the weather holds off, TBone. I am keeping my clubs in the garage for another week.

Yes it looks a little sketchy but going to give it a go. Tee off at 7:40 am and realize we will likely get some rain but hoping for
just spotty stuff. Playing with my friend I have known since 7th grade that I don't see often so really wanted to try to make it
happen. Might regret that but we'll have a good time regardless.

You show those clubs who's boss Frank!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 509 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next