It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: CSFMB Fishing thread
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Yikes... that sucks, hnd.

So, I've been fishing a few lakes here and there and have caught some big bass lately, but most of my time has been spent at the Fox (Been to Yorkville, Oswego, Montgomery, and Geneva once). I've had moderate success with tubes, plastics, and occasionally a couple Mepps spinners... but I'm struggling a bit with live bait - typically nightcrawlers...

... So I need some advice for you long-time river fishers. At the moment, I don't have a boat, so I'm fishing from the bank. I've had limited success with live bait/nightcrawlers using a wide array of setups. I've used multiple types of slip bobber setups with various weights and and swivels. The issue is that I'm trying to avoid the muck while also not allowing a rig that is too light to simply drift downstream and, eventually, right up next to the bank.

The most successful setup I've had (relatively speaking) is an egg sinker placed above a swivel and a tiny slip bobber below the first swivel on about a foot of mono that runs to the next swivel. I then tie on about 6 more inches of mono to the second swivel with the hook at the end. While it occasionally works, the weight of the set up still tends to get it bogged down. However, when I take off the sinker all together, the setup just floats with the stream into the bank (and there's no sinking at all).

I'm not sure if anyone has any great solutions, but I'd appreciate any suggestions. My lures do fine - but I know I can do better with live bait if I can just get it to sit still.

The one trip where I had some success getting the nightcrawlers to sit down and not get all mucked up was a couple weeks ago in Montgomery, and I was able to pull in some big flatheads, one after another... but then I went back to having issues.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:33 am 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
are you specifically targeting catfish?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:39 am 

if so i use a slip swivel rig. i slid thread a smaller swivel onto the line and then tie the line to a larger swivel (to act as a large stop for the other swivel and so that the other swivel will break off in snags) and then about 18-24 " i tie my hook/dipwork/whatever to then end of that. then i put a flat weight onto the sliding swivel with about 6" of line.

when snagged you should only just lose the weight.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:17 am 

hnd wrote:
if so i use a slip swivel rig. i slid thread a smaller swivel onto the line and then tie the line to a larger swivel (to act as a large stop for the other swivel and so that the other swivel will break off in snags) and then about 18-24 " i tie my hook/dipwork/whatever to then end of that. then i put a flat weight onto the sliding swivel with about 6" of line.

Thanks, sir.

At night, targeting cats. During the day, I'm looking for smallies or anything that will hit. I believe there's some walleye, and LM in there too. I do well with lures for.those, but occasionally, I like to just toss out and relax. Any rigs you'd recommend for that?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 11:19 am 

hnd wrote:

That's fucking ingenious. I'll let you know how it works.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:06 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
hnd wrote:

Thanks, sir.

At night, targeting cats. During the day, I'm looking for smallies or anything that will hit. I believe there's some walleye, and LM in there too. I do well with lures for.those, but occasionally, I like to just toss out and relax. Any rigs you'd recommend for that?

for smallmouth and walleye, i would use a similar set up but use an actual 3 way, you don't need time to let the cat run so you don't need the line to pull through the swivel. i would just use a 3 way swivel. same 6"-12" dropper to the weight. but you want your bait to be floating. use floating jig heads or floating spinning rigs. what this will do is keep your bait 6-12" off the bottom floor. we use minnows, worms, leeches.

i don't do it alot from shore but i have 2 spots where i'll toss one of these out and let it set while i cast artificials too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:08 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
hnd wrote:

That's fucking ingenious. I'll let you know how it works.

when i go down and fish current areas, this holds as long as you have enough weight.

when i'm fishing smaller creeks and lay downs i use an egg sinker on the line above the swivel. i can cast to pockets of trees easier that way.

i haven't fished catfish in ages though.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:16 pm 

mississippi is just pure shit right now. chocolate milk, flood levels....its got about 20 days to get settled before it starts pissing me off.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:20 pm 

hnd wrote:
mississippi is just pure shit right now. chocolate milk, flood levels....its got about 20 days to get settled before it starts pissing me off.

Hey, your cat rig works very well. I haven't caught much with it, but that was due to other circumstances. It sits down very nicely and doesn't get caught up in the muck very often.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:53 pm 

cool. cats are on fire here right now but i've done 0 fishing in the last month.

i'm getting the boat out but thats because the water is so high i can get back into a few borrow pit ponds that i've sunk brush in. i'm going to side image it and mark the brush for ice fishing season.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:15 pm 

as my walnut trees begin to drop their leaves, i begin to dust off the jigging rods and begin to mull over my spots. what spots i hit or wholly dependent upon flow of the mississippi. i will get hte boat out a few times here or there but 90% of my fishing will be for an hour or so from shore. will get to fish probably 4 days a week starting in a week or so.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:25 pm 

hnd wrote:
as my walnut trees begin to drop their leaves, i begin to dust off the jigging rods and begin to mull over my spots. what spots i hit or wholly dependent upon flow of the mississippi. i will get hte boat out a few times here or there but 90% of my fishing will be for an hour or so from shore. will get to fish probably 4 days a week starting in a week or so.

Nice!

I was able to fish the Fox River quite a bit over the weekend. I was going to put on a #5 Mepps and see if I could catch some lunkers, but I got out at about 5:00 AM Saturday morning and my baitcast reel was broken. I ended up going and grabbing some minnows and nightcrawlers for my smaller rods/reels, and my old man joined me later. He doesn't fish, but he did this time and caught a few decent-sized drums on crawlers, and I caught a couple small smallies and a few drum. I didn't realize there were so many drum(s)? in the Fox. Later in the day, a guy fishing a ways down landed a small muskie.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 3:44 pm 

rarely a fishing trip goes by where we don't catch at least 1 drum. there are times when it the mostly drum. we have to move around a bit to run from them.

I know its a drum and not a walleye generally because it fights harder than walleye. I won't eat them but i have no problem finding enjoyment in catching when all else are tight lipped.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2016 1:22 pm 

river has crested here and is supposed to start going back down tomorrow. right now the fish are kinda biting but its not as hot and heavy as it should be and i can't get to my regular spots at all.

but the air is cool and the leaves are turning...its my time to shine.

Post subject: Re: CFMB Fishing thread
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:35 am 

thought i walloped a big walleye last night. turned out to be a big ole freshwater drum. Drum usually don't "hit", they are just on, fight harder, make runs, and swim upstream when caught. it did none of those things. it hit like a freight train, started going downstream, and just shaking its head. all typical of a walleye fight.

was so disappointed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:37 am 

hnd wrote:
thought i walloped a big walleye last night. turned out to be a big ole freshwater drum. Drum usually don't "hit", they are just on, fight harder, make runs, and swim upstream when caught. it did none of those things. it hit like a freight train, started going downstream, and just shaking its head. all typical of a walleye fight.

was so disappointed.

I'm starting to despise drum. I almost can't even use nightcrawlers in certain parts of the Fox because every time it hits the water, it's a damn drum with their fairy-like "bite."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 2:34 pm 

you know i don't mind them during the summer because they fight hard and i'm usually assuming i have one on. in the spring and fall is when i hate them. they are a bit more lethargic and act like walleye.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:13 am 

they are starting to come in after dark. this one just walloped my jig. 25" 6lbs i'd guess.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 9:21 am 

Nice work.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:29 am 

got the auger and drill out, flasher all charged and restrung the short sticks. ready to get out on that ice.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

Bump. Anyone been out yet?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
leashyourkids wrote:
Bump. Anyone been out yet?

It sounds like shakes came out today.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Bass are eating actively in smaller ponds. Getting some on slow-retrieved spinnerbaits and chatterbaits.
I hear that crappies are on fire just about everywhere right now.

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:43 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Sarley wrote:

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Frank Coztansa wrote:
Sarley wrote:

You had to follow me to a fishing thread to bust my balls?
I was only trying to contribute to the board like you demanded.
You are definitely a sanctimonious little prick,sir!

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:28 pm 

Frank, don't ruin this majestic thread.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:03 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
Frank, don't ruin this majestic thread.
You have posted in here MANY times. Therefore, its already ruined. My presence can only improve things.

But to your point, I will not clutter up this thread with gif's.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:26 am 

Went to local pond this morning... not bad at all. Had a number of bites with a small spinner. Landed three small to average sized bass and a big bluegill.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:30 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:
Went to local pond this morning... not bad at all. Had a number of bites with a small spinner. Landed three small to average sized bass and a big bluegill.

Any coyote?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
leashyourkids wrote:

You caught a blue gill on a spinner?

-Ronald Reagan

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 169 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next