It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:45 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 7:30 pm 
1000 CLUB

Over the last 2 months he has subs for most of the week. It's not like he has much time anyway with all the games. No way he has this much vacation time. Something is up.

I think he's taken more time off in the last month than Bernstein takes in a year.

Maybe his contract is up and he just does shows on a "pay per show" basis. But with the Bulls, Cubs, NFL, DePaul and Illionis, there really is no need for Larry. You can get Shep and the other producers fill the limited night time shows that is needed.

I would suggest they just play the best of "B&G" when they have a half hour or hour shows before a game. It would be better than Larry talking about race or baking cookies for a half hour.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
I've always thought that the afternoon show should just go 2-6:30 and be done with it. Let Joe O and Z-Pack do the 5am hour, and slot everybody else an hour later.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:32 pm 
1000 CLUB

I think the SCORE is close to launching Larry. Why pay him whatever the hell he makes when there is basically no shows for him. Half hour shows at best during the cubs season.

Shepkowski is the new Drinky at the station. He's a dumb ass that will fill odd times for no money thinking that he has a shot at big time radio. Use his ass until he eventually quits, because he'll figure out there is no future, and then get a new dumb ass producer kid to fill his role. Rinse and repeat after that kid quits.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
I've said it before - Larry is a genius with the use of his vacation time. He uses it all at times when he will have full shows. They now have the Bulls, and what did Larry do? He took vacation the week of the All-Star game.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
The guy would suck a block of cock to be on the air daily, I think this is forced vacation time. I'm guessing his contract is up and they are declining the option.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:28 am 

I dont think it was that long ago of Larry referencing new paper

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:15 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
RFDC wrote:
I dont think it was that long ago of Larry referencing new paper

Said he signed a one year deal if I recall.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:23 am 

One year ago today in Trib

Quote:
Phil ThompsonContact Reporter
Chicago Tribune
Laurence Holmes signed a new contract with WSCR-AM 670 that could keep him as a nighttime radio host for the next two years.

Holmes' one-year deal with a station option for a second year would extend him into his 21st year at The Score.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:33 am 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
RFDC wrote:

Quote:
Chicago Tribune
Laurence Holmes signed a new contract with WSCR-AM 670 that could keep him as a nighttime radio host for the next two years.

Holmes' one-year deal with a station option for a second year would extend him into his 21st year at The Score.

Interesting...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:39 am 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:19 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Hank Scorpio wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Quote:
Chicago Tribune

Interesting...

:lol: Station option....that's a guaranteed 2-year deal and Laurence probably got more money to let the station think they had an option.

Master negotiator.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Hoping for the non-joking "Beardown doesn't make many posts anymore" thread in the near term.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

I just find it odd. Because it's not normal vacation time over the last 2 months. I always hear the end of B&G. I think one time in the last 2 months B&G said "Larry is off for the week, Larry is in Arizona banging Steve Stone" or something like that.

But other weeks he's off for a day, back the next day, then off the next day. It's just random time off. Nobody does it like that. And nobody has that much vacation time when you don't even have many shows available.

Shep is always in. That's easy for Mitch since he's producing B&G anyway. So his ass will do shows for nothing to kill a half hour or 1 hour. Sometimes a full show. Shep has probably done more night shows than Larry over the last 2 months.

If not Shep, Hub has done a lot of Larry's time slot as well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:25 pm 

Beardown..it's pretty simple..Larry is a creepy Caller Bob..there are only a couple hundred creepy Caller Bobs who enjoy his part time show. The new boss is in the majority and doesn't appreciate this creepy lil bastard or hater Monday.. He's gone..his shitball agent-boss. Mitch is on his way out as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:30 am 

I think his "Mitch said he'll find time for me on the air" or something like that was pretty telling after the Bulls came to the station officially.

Laurence failed to reach escape velocity at the station, and he's been stuck in a decaying orbit for the last few years without enough juice to do a controlled burn to get to something more stable. He has been nothing but a team player, so he will get all the time off he needs to try to make a go of it as a TV personality, but the writing is very clearly on the wall, and has been for a long time.

It's a shame, too, because in my estimation he's a damn fine operator as a radio host.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:04 am 

He needs Jim Rose to retire, and he can spend the next 15 years as the weekend sports guy. He wouldn't be worse than Howard Sudberry used to be.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:48 am 

I was told by someone who should know at DePaul ( the guy that hires Holmes as an adjunct) that Larry is on his last contract at the Score. He wants to teach full time.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:06 am 

Franky T wrote:
I've said it before - Larry is a genius with the use of his vacation time. He uses it all at times when he will have full shows. They now have the Bulls, and what did Larry do? He took vacation the week of the All-Star game.

He usually takes the week of the baseball All-star game off to.

Yes it is.

CDOM wrote:
When this is all over, which is not going to be for a while, Trump will be re-elected President.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 11:16 am 

didea wrote:
I was told by someone who should know at DePaul ( the guy that hires Holmes as an adjunct) that Larry is on his last contract at the Score. He wants to teach full time.

My guy says Larry is being forced out at the Score, new boss isn't a fan. Mitch is next on the chopping block.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:15 pm 

didea wrote:

You can't make squadoosh as an adjunct. When I team-taught a graduate class at Northwestern's engineering school, we grossed $300 per classroom hour. That sounds great, but teaching three classes would be a full time job and that's 300/hour * 3 hours/class * 3 classes = $2700 a week for a full-time gig.

And I doubt that DePaul pays as much. I was doing it as a way of refining my marketing message by practicing explaining things to novices, and paying for a vacation, not to pay my mortgage.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
didea wrote:

You can't make squadoosh as an adjunct. When I team-taught a graduate class at Northwestern's engineering school, we grossed $300 per classroom hour. That sounds great, but teaching three classes would be a full time job and that's 300/hour * 3 hours/class * 3 classes = $2700 a week for a full-time gig.

And I doubt that DePaul pays as much. I was doing it as a way of refining my marketing message by practicing explaining things to novices, and paying for a vacation, not to pay my mortgage.

All jokes aside here about what Laurence makes, he would be ecstatic to pull down $2700 per week.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:33 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
All jokes aside here about what Laurence makes, he would be ecstatic to pull down $2700 per week.
Yeah, but that's only when class is in session. So he's probably looking at max $75k as a full time adjunct. And that's probably a stretch.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:35 pm 

:lol: larry may want to teach full time but that aint happening

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:34 pm 

RFDC wrote:
:lol: larry may want to teach full time but that aint happening

There's always the Illinois Media School.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:49 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
I'm sure he could teach full time at Chicago State if he wanted.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:41 pm 

DePaul pays roughly 4,000 -4500 a semester for adjuncts( they do four semesters a year). The class he teaches run twice a year - they don't generate much. I don't know it to be true, but my guess is he is baking on Depaul to give him a full time job.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:52 am 

Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
didea wrote:

You aren't a celebrity.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 am 

The truth is Sir is probably the on air employee at the Score whose skills are most transferable to a different sports radio outlet.

He could easily perform a national show and be better than the people I hear.

He runs a very workmanlike but unspectacular shift.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Larry screwed himself when he didn't take the mid-day slot which was offered to him when the pathetic long snapper couldn't hack it. He instead wanted to do his 120 sports gig which then disappeared on him. He is partially to blame for Goff returning here. He made a poor decision a few years back

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:27 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
The truth is Sir is probably the on air employee at the Score whose skills are most transferable to a different sports radio outlet.

He could easily perform a national show and be better than the people I hear.

He runs a very workmanlike but unspectacular shift.

I've spent a couple of weeks in Phoenix over the course of the last two years. Sir would be the best local voice on Phoenix sports talk if he could convince the Mrs to relocate full-time to his condo.