It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 11:41 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: D'Agostino's
As a mere lad i would, with my brother, listen to the Blackhawks as described by Lloyd Pettit...most Bears games weren't televised until, I dunno, mid late 70's so radio was an important outlet with the likes of Joe McConnell...the Bulls getting stifled year after year by the Pistons before the rings came, I always seemed to be listening and not watching...so radio has always been an important way for me to connect with the games, but that's just me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
OscarTangoEcho wrote:
As a mere lad i would, with my brother, listen to the Blackhawks as described by Lloyd Pettit...most Bears games weren't televised until, I dunno, mid late 70's so radio was an important outlet with the likes of Joe McConnell...the Bulls getting stifled year after year by the Pistons before the rings came, I always seemed to be listening and not watching...so radio has always been an important way for me to connect with the games, but that's just me

AMEN

#METOO

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Damiani's
Loved the pre-Jordan era Bulls games on the radio when the Stadium sounded empty and you could hear the shoes squeaking.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2023 1:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

we never had a TV, so the Blackhawks were the first sports I ever listened to on the radio. Cubs and Brew Crew a close second.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 6:22 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Giordano's (Stuffed)
DAC wrote:
It's surprising to me how little the Score ending local would affect me. For as much of a daily presence that B&B, Spiegel, Parkins, Rozner, and McNeil played in my life in the past, nowadays I listen exclusively to podcasts and the thought of listening to the Score never even enters my mind. Parkins and Spiegel is a great local show but I have no interest in the major sports and especially Chicago sports.

Daily commuter still. 35-40 min in car each day… with an endless queue of podcasts to listen to.

I recently had to drive a rental car for a three week duration.

That first drive, when I had not yet connected the car with my phone’s bluetooth, I set the dial to AM 1000. Three weeks later when returning the car, while disconnecting my bluetooth, I realized I had went the entire time without switching the car to AM or FM.

Maybe a terrestrial show podcast is occasionally included in my listening queue. My listening is all RSS-based podcasts or anything interesting that comes up on my YouTube feed.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:35 am 

Martin wrote:
DAC wrote:
It's surprising to me how little the Score ending local would affect me. For as much of a daily presence that B&B, Spiegel, Parkins, Rozner, and McNeil played in my life in the past, nowadays I listen exclusively to podcasts and the thought of listening to the Score never even enters my mind. Parkins and Spiegel is a great local show but I have no interest in the major sports and especially Chicago sports.

Daily commuter still. 35-40 min in car each day… with an endless queue of podcasts to listen to.

I recently had to drive a rental car for a three week duration.

That first drive, when I had not yet connected the car with my phone’s bluetooth, I set the dial to AM 1000. Three weeks later when returning the car, while disconnecting my bluetooth, I realized I had went the entire time without switching the car to AM or FM.

Maybe a terrestrial show podcast is occasionally included in my listening queue. My listening is all RSS-based podcasts or anything interesting that comes up on my YouTube feed.

as I remember, you were a person who listened to the Score all the time from your early youth

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 1:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
City of Fools wrote:
OscarTangoEcho wrote:

we never had a TV, so the Blackhawks were the first sports I ever listened to on the radio. Cubs and Brew Crew a close second.

Sundays back in the day used to be a sportstraganza, started with AWA wrestling in the morning, followed by bad Bears football at noon with Tim Ryan and Johnny Morris on CBS, and then would fall asleep listening to the old AM clock radio listening to Pat Foley do Hawks hockey on WBBM.

Foley gave you a feel for the pace of the game, he was great at changing the inflection of his voice during key points in the game. There were also a lot of times when he wouldn't say anything for 20-30 seconds and you wondered if he had taken a bathroom break, seems to me he did games by himself for a period of time before Dale joined him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Hoagie's Pub
yeah, in the early-mid 80's, the hawks had individuals who allowed foley to do his inflections. savard in open ice, secord or fraser with a big hit, doug wilson cranking a laser beam from the point, larmer in the slot, bannnnnnerman flop save.

in his case - the better the team, the better the broadcaster.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:29 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 10:32 am 

From Jim O'Donnell

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:04 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
I posted a note on Audacy in the this show sux thread. They had a comment on the unprofitability of sports team programming.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:12 am 

pizza_Place: What??
denisdman wrote:
I posted a note on Audacy in the this show sux thread. They had a comment on the unprofitability of sports team programming.

I imagine the production costs aren't worth the juice with a couple thousand 54+ baseball listeners. Ad salesmen lie but ratings don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:18 am 

Nardi wrote:
denisdman wrote:

I imagine the production costs aren't worth the juice with a couple thousand 54+ baseball listeners. Ad salesmen lie but ratings don't.

The CEO called the deals a “margin killer”. I posted the exact transcript quote in there. They will non renew the Cubs deal when it comes up.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:59 pm 

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:15 pm 

I wonder if they hired restructuring experts or bankruptcy lawyers. Their financials and liquidity were decent. They have mostly stabilized stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:16 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Nardi wrote:
denisdman wrote:

The CEO called the deals a “margin killer”. I posted the exact transcript quote in there. They will non renew the Cubs deal when it comes up.

Can you buy Audacy at .09 a share deni$?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:19 pm 

Yes I could. If they can stay out of bk it would eventually rebound significantly. But the market is signaling a restructuring.

Not really my cup of tea.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:31 pm 
Site Admin

denisdman wrote:
Yes I could. If they can stay out of bk it would eventually rebound significantly. But the market is signaling a restructuring.

How many shares outstanding?

We can go in the radio station business.

You wanna fire Bernstein?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Is CFMB already worth more than WSCR?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:29 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
KDdidit wrote:
Is CFMB already worth more than WSCR?

It would be fun to point that out to Bernsie.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
Don't worry Bernstein will be fine if the Score goes under. He has a ORGANIZATIONS WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS POD that like 5 people probably listen to because NBA basketball is so popular!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:17 am 

Seacrest wrote:
denisdman wrote:

How many shares outstanding?

We can go in the radio station business.

You wanna fire Bernstein?

Nah, we’ll keep Bernstein but make him work on a self reflective podcast called, “Boobs made me do it”.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:19 am 

pizza_Place: What??
Wang Whipping....A National Tragedy.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:41 am 

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 7:56 am 

The underlying business is relatively healthy and has solid cash flow. It is just a case of too much financial leverage in building the empire.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:03 am 

Is there any money in a locally owned single station anymore?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:08 am 

good dolphin wrote:

From the conference calls a big problem is the decline in local car dealership advertising. It seems like the station is gorging on sports book gambling advertising. I doubt a single station would garner much of the gambling ad revenue. But I don’t know…

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:11 am 

denisdman wrote:
The underlying business is relatively healthy and has solid cash flow. It is just a case of too much financial leverage in building the empire.

AUD generated $138M of pre-interest cash flow. The problem is they had $107M of interest expense.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:18 am 

Score hosts with expiring contracts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:28 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

From the conference calls a big problem is the decline in local car dealership advertising. It seems like the station is gorging on sports book gambling advertising. I doubt a single station would garner much of the gambling ad revenue. But I don’t know…

The gambling explains itself but don't you read the auto revenue in light of the pandemic car shortages etc? No cars to see no ads.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 11  Next