It is currently Wed May 29, 2024 3:31 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:37 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
vitoscotti wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
http://mediaburn.org/video/radio-faces-9/?t=20:30 Here's more classic Score:

Mike North wrote:
I think we treat our listeners with respect -- we'll give 'em the SEE YA! once in a while -- but they know that's good-natured fun. We don't hang up on 'em, we don't do stuff that would maybe make them feel bad, because they won't come back.

Congratulations, Jason Goff! You understand radio less than circa-1996 Mike North.

Murph insists he never owned black leather pants.

When I would watch somewhat recent score or wgn live video stream all the hosts did is host. Murph reminded me of curleys one man band.

Nobody was hateable back them. I don't remember hating Chet coppock, Chuck swirsky, early Murph, or even mike north. There's so much sports radio now a lot of the talk is pointless.

Murph took so much mocking from b&b claiming he was an idiot, look how organized and hard working he is. B&b always would make Murph feminine in their mocking which was puzzling. That was bad blood that really got ugly.
Murph was on the outs at Terry's farewell and they never patched it up.
'

Terry is a classless son of a bitch. If he had one ounce of class he would have invited Murph regardless of the past. Same with McNeil who on that show started shitting on Murph once he got on the mic.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:43 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
But I knew that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Murph and Fred
On a Saturday morning

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:44 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
But I knew that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Murph and Fred
On a Saturday morning

no that's not it. It started with :

Here's Mike Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:45 pm 

do you guys remember the name of the opening of Murph's WLS show? It was like cavalacade of stars? I use to remember the name, I think it was the start of a baseball show in the early 60s.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:49 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
But I knew that you
With your heart beating
And your eyes shining
Would be dreaming of me
Murph and Fred
On a Saturday morning

no that's not it. It started with :

Here's Mike Murphy

:lol: Never change

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:53 pm 

if you guys did not know murph on wls and early score was a side gig. his regular day job was as an appliance salesman at Montgomery Wards.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:06 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
HawaiiYou wrote:
if you guys did not know murph on wls and early score was a side gig. his regular day job was as an appliance salesman at Montgomery Wards.

I thought Murph had some kind of a business in heating air conditioning in the early days.

I remember Abbatticola mocking Murph and bringing up the number one Murph fan emails coming from his wife's email. There wasn't one good word about Murph after he left also from his underlings working with him. The
ex producers seems to really hate him. But I imagine they were vultures looking to step up.

One of his ex producers said Murph wanted calls from blacks stretched out as long as possible to make him look better.

All the score guys are cocky and arrogant. What's truth and fiction and who's the biggest back stabber might be never known.

A lot of truth can be pieced together from the old mac & north podcasts where they were free to talk. I I've got Terry's book and I think it had a Murph chapter I haven't got to yet.i don't ever remember Murph calling the chapter a lie.

Speigs, Goff,Parkins, McKnight j&m.,....disgraceful compared to Murph sports talk

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:19 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

I thought Murph had some kind of a business in heating air conditioning in the early days.

I remember Abbatticola mocking Murph and bringing up the number one Murph fan emails coming from his wife's email. There wasn't one good word about Murph after he left also from his underlings working with him. The
ex producers seems to really hate him. But I imagine they were vultures looking to step up.

One of his ex producers said Murph wanted calls from blacks stretched out as long as possible to make him look better.

All the score guys are cocky and arrogant. What's truth and fiction and who's the biggest back stabber might be never known.

A lot of truth can be pieced together from the old mac & north podcasts where they were free to talk. I I've got Terry's book and I think it had a Murph chapter I haven't got to yet.i don't ever remember Murph calling the chapter a lie.

Speigs, Goff,Parkins, McKnight j&m.,....disgraceful compared to Murph sports talk

ya could be HVAC he was into too. not sure if he owned a business, but I do recall someone I knew saw him at Montgomery Wards trying to sell him a washing machine. this was when he wasn't even famous yet. the guy i knew just happened to recognize his voice and asked if he was that murph guy on WLS.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
I also go back to Swirsk in the 80's and Murph's show was excellent. Obviously he had issues with many Score guys but who cares. Glad Murph is still in Sat mornings.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:28 am 

murph should be doing Cubs post game on the score but that's another story.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 12:59 am 

'77Cubs wrote:
I also go back to Swirsk in the 80's and Murph's show was excellent. Obviously he had issues with many Score guys but who cares. Glad Murph is still in Sat mornings.

I guess I find the Murph story along with North's interesting is they weren't elites or quota tokens but were working stiffs who used their wits to climb up from the bottom.

Thus how fellow workers along the above reacted to them is a great story with many twists and turns.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:04 am 

Murph and North started together. North was one of the bookies on Murph's WLS show but both of them had a short stint on a smaller radio station before WLS. Cant remember the name.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 1:18 am 

WSBC, the brokered/ethnic station. It's still around, and once again a sister station of sorts to 820.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:11 am 

Terry and Mac discussed Murph's craziness for a good 1/2 hour. Murph really sounds like a temper mental bitch. Murph got mad because Abbaticola played the wrong version of something that was 6 seconds too long. Temper tantrums at remotes funny stories. Producer Tommy Williams gave Murph a note about ex NFL player Harlan Hill that he was a pro bowler. Murph took it that Hill was now a professional bowler, and asked an amazed Hill about it. Murph went off on Williams for it. Still best Cubs talk in Chicago today.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:35 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Terry and Mac discussed Murph's craziness for a good 1/2 hour. Murph really sounds like a temper mental bitch.

Murph may have said a lot of things, but he never referred, on the air, to anyone as "the Mullato" and "Count Fagula".

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:50 am 

Just saw those old videos from Murph and the Monsters. Great stuff. Really shows how cramped things were back on the bunker on belmont. You can also see what a nervous strange dude Murph was/is. Loved seeing the jubazs from Mac :lol:

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:52 am 

Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:
Terry and Mac discussed Murph's craziness for a good 1/2 hour. Murph really sounds like a temper mental bitch.

Murph may have said a lot of things, but he never referred, on the air, to anyone as "the Mullato" and "Count Fagula".

Nah Murph was too much of a pathetic bitch to ever say anything on he air or to peoples face. He would just hide in the background and bitch. The story of Murph being asked to come in early and help out the station as the Heavy Fuel Crew was on location with all kinds of problems and he refused because he show did not start til 6.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:59 am 

RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Nah Murph was too much of a pathetic bitch to ever say anything on he air or to peoples face. He would just hide in the background and bitch. The story of Murph being asked to come in early and help out the station as the Heavy Fuel Crew was on location with all kinds of problems and he refused because he show did not start til 6.

Which is the exact opposite of Danny Mac and Terry Boers were saying -- that Murph would yell at his producers to their face.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:24 am 

Wanderer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Which is the exact opposite of Danny Mac and Terry Boers were saying -- that Murph would yell at his producers to their face.

DID. NOT. HAPPEN. when I worked with him.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:57 am 

Wanderer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Exactly. Murph would pick on producers instead of manning up to the big guys.

Radio Prog....many others who worked with him say otherwise. Murph was known to be a guy that very hard to work for

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:12 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Radio Prog....many others who worked with him say otherwise. Murph was known to be a guy that very hard to work for

He was demanding, but fair. Occasionally pouted, but was just ignored. Would I choose to hang out with him after work? Not likely, but we had vastly different interests.

That statement about black callers is a bald faced lie. Murph had some regulars like Rodney from the South Side who Murph loved to talk baseball with.

Who are all these other producers you are referring to?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:14 pm 

"If you came here to learn radio, then there is no better person to learn it from than Murph!"

Danny Mac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:17 pm 

Off the top of my head Drinky and Larry I am pretty sure have talked about how hard he was to work with. And I am quite sure I have read of others but I cannot think of names.

Yeah I wouldnt agree with the black caller thing. I think Murph would talk to anyone especially about baseball.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:18 pm 

Radio Programmer wrote:
"If you came here to learn radio, then there is no better person to learn it from than Murph!"

Danny Mac

yeah I dont think many would dispute that. He was/is a radio guy and you could tell he loved it.

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:21 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Off the top of my head Drinky and Larry I am pretty sure have talked about how hard he was to work with. And I am quite sure I have read of others but I cannot think of names.

Yeah I wouldnt agree with the black caller thing. I think Murph would talk to anyone especially about baseball.

Lawrence's entire schtick, (well, not the creeping on women part), is a direct result of listening to and working for Murph.

Where is Drinky now?

And Lawrence once threatened Murph with bodily harm??

Ok, you made me laugh. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:24 pm 

Radio Programmer wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Lawrence's entire schtick, (well, not the creeping on women part), is a direct result of listening to and working for Murph.

Where is Drinky now?

What does the fact that Drinky is not in radio have to do with Murph being hard to work for?

And the fact that Larry took some stuff from Murh...again what does that have to do with anything?

Frank Coztansa wrote:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:50 pm 

Radio Programmer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Wanderer wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

He was demanding, but fair. Occasionally pouted, but was just ignored. Would I choose to hang out with him after work? Not likely, but we had vastly different interests.

That statement about black callers is a bald faced lie. Murph had some regulars like Rodney from the South Side who Murph loved to talk baseball with.

Who are all these other producers you are referring to?

I'd love to hear Murph's side or a guy like Fred's side of some of these stories. Look at Mac being pouty about his pairing after the hfc was broke up. He even asked to go overnight. It seemed Murph's target was always Terry, never, never Mac though.

Rick Telender is another whipping boy from the past on the score.i always liked him on tsw and when he hosted on the score. It seems like his lack of radio skilled mocked don't jive with his quality show I listened to. Hood seems to get a pass for his failings at the score and never blamed for Telender drama.

The guy who really impressed me with his comedic talent during the murph segment was John Suntras.. Now that guy should be a stand up comedian. Why the hell didn't he get a bigger shot? After all these years to be a flunky at newsradio wbbm?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:53 pm 

the black racism thing was from one of the ex producers on this site when it was owned by bigfan. this had to be like 8,9,10 years ago. I don't remember the persons name but he hated murph. I dont know if there's an archive of the old site or not.

And there was more than 1 person talking about that who was an ex murph producer. maybe 2-3. I remember one guy saying that in meetings murph would be demanding and if they spoke up, he would bring up their paycheck and how it looked good didnt it? something like that.

I Like murph. I dont know what happened w/ his producers, but seems like many say he was demanding. but you know, so what. Murph is old school. Like a old school gym teacher mentality. I can see guys like who were not use to that type of boss whine and moan on how hard murph was.

RAdio Programmer - good to know about your experiences w/ Murph. All I know is he worked hard to prepare for his show, he had great ratings, the best at most times against any of the other score lineup, and a strong loyal following.

Dan and Terry are a bunch of bullies when bringing up Murph stuff that should probably be kept in office. We dont hear Murph's side because he's too professional to act like a bunch of little schoolgirls talking shit like dan and terry.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:55 pm 

RFDC wrote:
Radio Programmer wrote:
RFDC wrote:

Where is Drinky now?

What does the fact that Drinky is not in radio have to do with Murph being hard to work for?

And the fact that Larry took some stuff from Murh...again what does that have to do with anything?

oh boo hoo. Drinky with all his privilege couldn't take a demanding boss like murph?!?! Maybe if he wasn't coasting the whole time and actually wanted to work hard and not complain to management about quitting murph's show ever fucking day it would be a different story.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:56 pm 

RFDC wrote:

Count Fagula and the Mulatto were Score/CBS executives? Somehow, I don't think so.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next