It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 1:26 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 7:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Bianchi's
The problem is they talk too much politics, check that they maybe don't talk politics as in candidates, etc, but they implement some sort of political twist in every single thing. I am left of the normal democrat and would be the first person to tell people that, but I don't tune in to ESPN, FS1, 670, etc to hear about world news, politics, or cancel culture etc. I can legitametely understand talking about a national or world event; I.E 9/11 or something else that may have occurred that affects sports, but to put it into everything you talk to even the tiniest slice of it makes it unbearable at points. Been in AZ now for over a year and 98.7 out there just talks sports and I'm amazed that I have yet to hear some left or right wing take. The years of listening to 670 and ESPN1000 have just made me think it's got to be coming, but it never does. Be your political champion on twitter or in real life, but when you are on the air just talk sports. Most places of business or work places people don't just go off talking politics in the work place, so why is it allowed there?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Lino's
vitoscotti wrote:
Jason Goff as a full-time host is the linchpin to the template of destroying the Score and making it unlistenable. The sjw spiel was ignited by him station wide. Before him old Bernstein was a novelty act. When Goff called out listeners and opposing views as Nazis Larry knew it was wide open now. An only talk sports edict was put forth but it was for show and didn't stick. Goff got canned but left his mark on a station now spiraling downward. Now the sjw's were station wide taking a wrecking ball to it daily pushing more listeners away.

Remember hearing Goff and Bernstein repeatedly indicate that they did not want anyone who disagreed with them politically to listen to their show.

It must have been quite interesting to work in sales for the station and hear that, it was almost as if Goff actually thought he was working for NPR and it was OK to chase away a portion of your potential clients because the taxpayers would cover your ass for being an absolute idiot.

Feeling that you are always as Bernstein says, "to be on the right side of history", is an oddly arrogant place to be, but more of a tell on how insecure the person must be personally and professionally, and it does seem that anyone with an original thought that deviates from the moments feel good SJW take is quickly cancelled. Trying to cling to a job that is increasingly becoming obsolete for a person that really has no other job skills must be a scary place to be, especially for guys like Bernstein that should be in prime earning years, but likely has seen a significant decrease in earnings as he spirals from drive time to mid days.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2022 10:26 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
If they lay off Mitch, it's all over. The Super Bowl is February 12, and the stock price period is right in the middle of it.

Getting away with the Patrick Mannelly project and Bernstein & Goff in like a three-year span without being relieved of his duties is Mitch's biggest achievement.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:06 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
I only listen to the experts that come on via the podcasts. Brad Biggs, Steve Stones, Michael Lambardi, etc. So maybe 1 hour a week. I skip the commercials so I'm worthless to 670's bottom line. Unless a big story breaks the hosts are just a bunch of nerds who sound the same.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:08 am 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
denisdman wrote:
Audacy will figure out the NYSE listing. Companies just reverse split to regain compliance.

On their finances, they are still growing revenues and generating modest operating income. Their problem is a multibillion debt load. Their trigger date is November 2024 when a large chuck comes due. They also have some debt that is variable in nature so the interest expense will go up.

Longer term, I think the finances need to be restructured. There is no way cost cutting gets them out of this.

Sounds like AMC. Dying industry, crappy content, lots of debt

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 7:34 am 

blackhawksfan wrote:
I only listen to the experts that come on via the podcasts. Brad Biggs, Steve Stones, Michael Lambardi, etc. So maybe 1 hour a week. I skip the commercials so I'm worthless to 670's bottom line. Unless a big story breaks the hosts are just a bunch of nerds who sound the same.

Same, only interested in original Bears content, that said, the only stuff worth listening to is pods of Bears content from the morning show.

Mid-day show is unlistenable with two hapless dues that would rather talk for four hours about the evil white guy Tony La Russa, at this point they only seem interested in doing long form political rants and seem to see Bears talk as an unwanted interruption of the social justice show they desperately want to do every day, how long can this show possibly last.

The afternoon show is devoid of any interesting content, so no need to waste time even scrolling through possible pods on your phone.

Used to have what they would call "appointment radio" segments back in the day, but those days are long gone and they ain't coming back under the current group, so off if your looking for quality content it's off to podcast land, and that is most likely a permanent thing.

Have come to peace with the fact that the station I used to have on frequently during the day and was a staple during my workouts has gone the way of the late 80's natural women I loved with White Rain hairspray teased big hair, skin tight designer jeans, and blue eye shadow.

However, podcasts, leggings, and Peloton moms are more than adequate replacements.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: What??
WSCR is a top 20 radio station. They beat the dogshit out of its competitor. Ad money isn't a problem. No show really is "unlistenable". It's just like the rest of the country. Not the least bit compelling, with a side dish of groupthink. Movies, books, music, and WSCR, all in the same boat.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2022 10:15 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Nardi wrote:
Not the least bit compelling, with a side dish of groupthink.

Hmmmm.....I feel like I know another place like that....thinking....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 8:57 am 

I've been in the land of podcasts and it is not pretty. Even the good ones are inconsistent...and that is just the general content offerings. Local sports podcasts are about as nourishing as a mustard sandwich.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:25 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Nardi wrote:
Not the least bit compelling, with a side dish of groupthink.

Hmmmm.....I feel like I know another place like that....thinking....

5 games back.....right in the thick of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Curious Hair wrote:
If they lay off Mitch, it's all over. The Super Bowl is February 12, and the stock price period is right in the middle of it.

Getting away with the Patrick Mannelly project and Bernstein & Goff in like a three-year span without being relieved of his duties is Mitch's biggest achievement.

A babysitter to a number of stations is what his job is CH. Doing the job that at least four other people were once paid to do.

Salaries have fallen exponentially over the last five years, so upper management isn't unhappy with him. The alternative may be someone far less malleable the Mitch.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:44 am 

Mitch has always been a champion for local, which I appreciate irrespective of the talent.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2022 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Seacrest wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

A babysitter to a number of stations is what his job is CH. Doing the job that at least four other people were once paid to do.

Salaries have fallen exponentially over the last five years, so upper management isn't unhappy with him. The alternative may be someone far less malleable the Mitch.

Mitch's perception of "talent" is questionable.
Letting the Dan Bernstein philosophy of dominating the station's content is his responsibility...it's failed.

Yes...he is NOW a glorified babysitter, but as we talked in another thread local sports talk radio still works in other markets. The Score programming is a failure.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:42 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 9:56 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
The Audacy quarterly report is coming out shortly. It should outline aggressive cost cutting as they promised back in August. I still see a prepackaged bankruptcy as the most likely option, and rising interest rates and tighter credit conditions make that even more likely now.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:13 am 

Again I ask, how does that affect a most likely profitable WSCR?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 10:43 am 

Well, we do not know if or how profitable they are. That Cubs contract is an albatross. But large companies benefit from scale, and so they may look to leverage their other assets (shows/personalities) and go more national. But if the station is making a decent return on its own, then they will not touch it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:19 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
denisdman wrote:
The Audacy quarterly report is coming out shortly. It should outline aggressive cost cutting as they promised back in August. I still see a prepackaged bankruptcy as the most likely option, and rising interest rates and tighter credit conditions make that even more likely now.

They had no business entering this market.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:21 am 

denisdman wrote:
Well, we do not know if or how profitable they are. That Cubs contract is an albatross. But large companies benefit from scale, and so they may look to leverage their other assets (shows/personalities) and go more national. But if the station is making a decent return on its own, then they will not touch it.

We also don't know the Cubs contract is an albatross. Live sports is the one thing that is still profitable for terrestrial radio and TV. Hell, there's still a national game on my radio on saturdays.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:44 am 

I remember an ex Score host said the wls channel 7 Cubs partnership turned out to be a financial disaster for channel 7.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2022 11:48 am 

As is Marquee. That's why RSNs were invented.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:14 pm 

Nardi wrote:
WSCR is a top 20 radio station. They beat the dogshit out of its competitor. Ad money isn't a problem. No show really is "unlistenable".

I know this comment is a bit dated at this point, but holy crap do I have to disagree.

The morning show leans on the core principle of audio entertainment - repetition. They've chosen a format, stuck with it, and lean heavily on guests. It's, at best, a nothing burger - not particularly entertaining, but not jam ice picks in your ears like the show that follows it.

Bernstein and Larry is absolutely the most unlistenable show ever - and I say this as a guy who has listened since day 1 of the station, hearing lots of garbage along the way. It may be because I've always made it a practice to completely avoid Larry, so have not built up a callous for any of his self-laughing nonsense, but I absolutely cannot tune in 10-2.

Sparkins and meatpants have also moved into unlistenable territory for me - somehow meatpants has become at least a bit more bearable, but the arrogant stoner far offsets that + the emergence of resident asshat Shane = no thanks. Love Tanny, but not even he can save this mess. Oh, but wait, they giggle like school children because they burn a segment, weekly, that is titled Parkins vs Parkins vs Spiegel vs Spiegel, omG!!!

Between the Cubs and Bulls and CBS National, there's not much else to talk about here - the short-lived "dedication" to keeping Overnights going was laughable...really gross when you think back to how many victory laps the station was taking for being committed to this unattended-to audience after Les passed.

I'm one guy, I know - and while I've never been shy of taking a shot at certain shows over the years, this is the first time that the entire lineup is just garbage. I've chosen to just stay away from sports talk (which is tough after years of listening), as I can never make it through more than a segment or two of whatever happens to be on 1000 when I attempt to give that a listen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:54 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Harry Seaward sightings are always appreciated!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:36 am 

Out for day off run, saw the ping on the Bears app for the trade, so decided to try the Larry Holmes/Bernstein thing, after all, how could they screw up breaking Bears news?

Made it about five minutes, Holmes went into an odd rant about Roquan Smith where he used the word elite and Roquan Smith in the same sentence numerous times, Bernstein just sounded tired and went with it, almost afraid to engage in a disagreement with his co-host, none of the heated disagreements that helped launch the station, nope this is NPR sports talk radio where the hosts must be in lock step. This type of odd take would have instantly been ridiculed on the station back in the day by the other hosts and callers, but they are apparently terrified of any outside interaction or contrary opinions, so we get sports talk drivel.

It just sounded stupid and lazy, pushed the button within a few minutes. The other station was rightly pointing out that Roquan was a head case that did not take his job seriously, but Homes must value his personal relationships with the players over having any credibility.

Plus, Bernstein was way more interested in proving his SJW bonafides by claiming Twitter was gonna go out of business to actually seem to care about anything sport related.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 7:51 am 

Larry Holmes is a dictator with his opinions. Any opinions with a hint of sjw can not be disagreed with or else. He uses his opinions as a tool of dominance. Local Score needs to be shut down

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:53 am 

vitoscotti wrote:
Larry Holmes is a dictator with his opinions. Any opinions with a hint of sjw can not be disagreed with or else. He uses his opinions as a tool of dominance. Local Score needs to be shut down

He melts down at the first indication of direct conversation, the Monsters and the HFC would have roasted him during transition back in the day for him saying Roquan Smith is close to an elite player, they used to shred Bernstein back in the day for his Bears thoughts, then of course you would have had callers ripping him, and it would be brought up on Who you Crappin', it made for entertaining radio and for a bit of accountability.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 12:01 pm 

pizza_Place: pizza and subs
vitoscotti wrote:

a number of years ago, on fb i complained about how broadcasters and espn tries to create these "the first time X has ever happened" type stats. I used an example like "first black player born in month of november to hit 2 homeruns in a game" and Larry freaked out on me basically calling me a racist for taking away accomplishments from black people. i was like it doesn't have to be a race thing at all just anything. He was like THE FIRST THING YOU SAID WAS BLACK ITS THE HATE IN YOUR HEART or some crap. this was like 15 years or so ago i was like yikes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2022 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
larry is a pussy.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:57 am 

Audacy now under 30¢ a share. Down 20% yesterday.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:20 am 

Results were horrible especially in large market radio. We will have too see what they say on the conference call.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data ... dex991.htm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 318 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next