It is currently Thu May 23, 2024 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Terry Boers
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
B & B was must listen radio. A lot of times for hating their guts. Bernstein went after D Rose for being stupid. This is when Rose was one of the league's best. To say such a thing. Turned out he was right. Terry usually just chimed in and agreed with Bernstein on topics. He rarely disagreed with him. But, he pulled it off in his own way , adding a lot. The main shows now aren't 1/10th as interesting as B & B. Even Goff was good. This is before he turned into the devil incarnate. "Who You Crappin?" was the Score at it's best. Lots and lots of angry out for blood callers mostly aimed at Bernstein. Those were the days.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 8:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
vitoscotti wrote:
"Who You Crappin?" was the Score at it's best.

When the HFC did it, yes. Or when B&B first carried on the tradition. By the end, it was a bunch of partisan e-mailed craps or callers who didn't understand the bit. I blame Bernstein for the former and lazy producing for the latter.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Later in his afternoon run but before he got sick, Bernstein missed a day for something unexpectedly, and Terry was in with Matty, who wasn't being particularly helpful. Terry was talking baseball for about an hour, and he was totally on target, it could have been 1992. It was just easier for him to go play the fool when Bernstein was around.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:08 am 

pizza_Place: Lino's
Those that go back to the very beginning of the station should remember the awkward, but incredibly entertaining forced interaction between Ditka and Boers during the Ditka show.

That show was unique in many way, most notably it allowed callers/hosts to openly challenge a head coach on live radio. There was no sugar coating or screening, it was raw emotion from callers and even more raw emotion and anger from Ditka. Looking back it is almost incomprehensible the Bears allowed him to do that show, but as we learned later, Ditka would do almost anything for a few bucks. Ditka also openly despised Terry for what he had written about him and their interaction was incredibly tense which translated over the airways and made the show one of the few "appointment radio", shows in the stations history.

When Terry was in his prime he was the master of using innuendo to give you a bit of information about a team/player that was completely opposite of the widely accepted image that person/organization was trying to sell. Years later you would find out that the situation was no where near as rosy as what was being projected at the time and the person was in fact a bad guy. He would truly give you unique sports thoughts, especially on baseball.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:40 am 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

When the HFC did it, yes. Or when B&B first carried on the tradition. By the end, it was a bunch of partisan e-mailed craps or callers who didn't understand the bit. I blame Bernstein for the former and lazy producing for the latter.

Bernstein ruins everything

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:30 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
good dolphin wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
vitoscotti wrote:

Bernstein ruins everything

It was funny even when it bombed. B & B would get frustrated with poor contributors.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Clawmaster wrote:
When Terry was in his prime he was the master of using innuendo to give you a bit of information about a team/player that was completely opposite of the widely accepted image that person/organization was trying to sell. Years later you would find out that the situation was no where near as rosy as what was being projected at the time and the person was in fact a bad guy. He would truly give you unique sports thoughts, especially on baseball.

Bingo. Add his sense of humor and his ability to write, and that's a good characterization of classic Terry.

Sun-Times from 1992: “The Steve Dahl of sports talk — a little heavy on the sexual innuendo, but more often witty and clever. A Sun-Times sportswriter, Boers is the most user-friendly personality on the Score and has surprisingly good diction for a scribe. An expert on most any sport. Handles callers and guests better than anyone."

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:37 pm 

Anyone remember why Terry lost his column in the Sun-Times? He used to really get after people, but he was so damn funny that, even as a teen, he was always the first thing I read.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Quote:
If not for McNeil, a 9.

Ouch!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:39 pm 
Site Admin

tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Bingo. Add his sense of humor and his ability to write, and that's a good characterization of classic Terry.

Sun-Times from 1992: “The Steve Dahl of sports talk — a little heavy on the sexual innuendo, but more often witty and clever. A Sun-Times sportswriter, Boers is the most user-friendly personality on the Score and has surprisingly good diction for a scribe. An expert on most any sport. Handles callers and guests better than anyone."

Looking at that photo I can't believe it never dawned on me that Hanley was gay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:44 pm 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Looking at that photo I can't believe it never dawned on me that Hanley was gay.

that and i didnt know terry was the source of a somewhat famous twitter meme

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:46 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

It's worse than any Murph photo I've seen....I mean, this looks like a guy who is protesting in SF to keep the bathhouses open.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

:lol: :lol: I felt the same that it took me years re: George Michael and this after seeing the " Wake Me Up Before you Go-Go " video dozens of times.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

It's worse than any Murph photo I've seen....I mean, this looks like a guy who is protesting in SF to keep the bathhouses open.

speaking of Murph...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=TK7jIHwEze4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:57 pm 

FrankDrebin wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

Image Image

So 670 had two burritos and fired them both. Not very woke of them...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:59 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Mac isn't gay. He just had an experimental phase in college.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:01 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Murph would be #2 so let's make it 2 1/2 burritos then.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:02 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
"Stop having so many callers." Our own DAC must be Dan Cahill.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

I don't think Murph is gay.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:13 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He's not.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:15 pm 

tommy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
tommy wrote:
Clawmaster wrote:

I never really thought about how catty those media columns were back then as well. :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:17 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He's not.

If he's not out, then he's a complete and total closet case. :lol:

I'm pretty sure Terry insinuated as much frequently.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:32 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He's not.

I think that was all based on that Village People thing on the Nate Oliver call.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:36 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

He's not.

I think that was all based on that Village People thing on the Nate Oliver call.

:lol: I wondered about him after that mySelF.

(Insert obligatory) Not that there's anything wrong with that.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

no he wasn't and isnt. fuck the haters like bernstien, boers and mcmneil for starting that rumor. like a bunch of high school sissy's talking shit behind someone's back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:40 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He's not.

because Terry is a piece of shit.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
So are you.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:45 pm 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
because Terry is a piece of shit.

Murph, is that you?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 2:47 pm 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

no he wasn't and isnt. fuck the haters like bernstien, boers and mcmneil for starting that rumor. like a bunch of high school sissy's talking shit behind someone's back.

Listen back to old stuff from Murph. He's 100% a gay with a beard of a wife.

This is a guy who would e-mail himself from his wife's e-mail and pretend it was a listener. Guy was living in the closet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 246 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next