It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:21 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/86 ... et-in-2017

Quote:
Chicagoans love their sports and sports talk on the radio. Because of that, a group of investors are taking serious looks into launching another all-sports radio station in the Chicagoland area in the first half of 2017. While this is not yet a definite plan, it now looks as if has a strong chance of happening.

The station, should it come together, will be on a new AM frequency for the Chicago market. It will be located in the south suburbs, but could reach most of Chicago and the suburbs. The station's owner has received FCC permission to construct four towers and a studio for the new station. If all goes well, construction could be complete in the spring. Power upgrades to help the station's suburban signal blanket much of the Chicago market are possible, too. Once complete, the station would then be leased to the new investor group looking to bring the sports station to life.

Details on those behind the station are still very much a secret, at least until plans become finalized. Some of those behind the 1992 launch of WSCR-AM/670 The Score have been consulted about this proposed sports talker and could be a part of making the station a reality. (It should be noted that this station would have nothing to do with those currently running or working at WSCR-AM.)

The station ownership would be looking for sports personalities/hosts/producers that have huge personas and opinions, like was the case in 1990's sports talk, as opposed to the current breed of sports talkers that play it safe on the air.

Some Chicago radio heavy hitters that are currently not working on-air have been approached and asked about their interest in being part of the new sports talk station. Among those contacted are one-time radio ratings champion Mike North, who confirmed to CRM that he was approached about the station, and excited about its possibilities, but could not yet divulge any specific details on the record.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Yeah, because a 3rd station has done so historically well before.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:26 am 

sjboyd0137 wrote:

I don't think The Game got a fair shake in this town. They pulled the plug way too early. Also, half of their marquee show was David Haugh.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 am 

So basically they are going to try and get North and Mac to compete against the Score and ESPN.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:29 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Until this board is approached (with rotating hosts),their ratings will be microcosmic.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
might have a shot if the frequency can be found on car radios.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 am 

WKEN is all coming together

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:31 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
might have a shot if the frequency can be found on car radios.

87.7 got fewer listeners than Olivet Nazarene University by doing sports talk but now does better than US99 and the Loop by playing crap by Dan Fogelberg. Infinite lols.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:35 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
good point. maybe the talent being horrible was the actual problem.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Correct idea in that 670 and 1000 are poor products.
Wrong idea to introduce a 3rd station.

I've turned to podcasts and Soundcloud/Spotify.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
sjboyd0137 wrote:

And sports talk seems so lucrative too!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:48 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
sjboyd0137 wrote:

I don't think The Game got a fair shake in this town. They pulled the plug way too early. Also, half of their marquee show was David Haugh.

To be fair, if you look at the out of work talkers in this town, would you tune in:

North
Mac
Chet
Murph

As someone under the age of 50, I sure as shit wouldn't.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:49 am 

Chicago Senior Sports Radio!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54 am 

Later in the article they say the powers-that-be at this imaginary station would want proven ratings winners, which means...who? Mac? Can North still cling to the success he had 15+ years ago?

I'd say go the other way, get the Chicago guys from Barstool Sports and give them a show, social media sports personalities (YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, etc.), people with large followings that will listen to the terrestrial dial when they can, or a stream when they're out and about.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:55 am 

They need to recruit Dr. Ken.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:56 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Might be as entertaining as this:

http://www.dickpritchettrealestate.com/eagle-feed.html

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:59 am 

WEBIO!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:05 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It sounds like this would be an expanded-band AM station (the FCC wouldn't be able to issue a new license anywhere between 560 and 1590), and from what I remember of this one oldies station that had Tommy Edwards and Larry Lujack for a while, expanded-band AM sounds like kuhhhh-rap. Also, some radios still don't go past 1610. Also-also, "reaching most of Chicagoland" from a stick in the south suburbs sounds like really bad coverage. How do you sell a station that doesn't come in north of, for the sake of argument, Irving Park Road?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:11 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Hatchetman wrote:
good point. maybe the talent being horrible was the actual problem.

It was, but the signal was garbage. The Score and ESPN are lousy, no talent hacks..it wouldn't be hard to beat both with some new talent on a decent signal.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:12 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
It sounds like this would be an expanded-band AM station (the FCC wouldn't be able to issue a new license anywhere between 560 and 1590), and from what I remember of this one oldies station that had Tommy Edwards and Larry Lujack for a while, expanded-band AM sounds like kuhhhh-rap. Also, some radios still don't go past 1610. Also-also, "reaching most of Chicagoland" from a stick in the south suburbs sounds like really bad coverage. How do you sell a station that doesn't come in north of, for the sake of argument, Irving Park Road?

Yeah, if it's AM and it doesn't cover the whole of Chicagoland, it must be pretty low power. Here's the daytime groundwave map of a 1kW station emanating from [EDIT: Joliet, duh]:

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:13 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah, if it's AM and it doesn't cover the whole of Chicagoland, it must be pretty low power. Here's the daytime groundwave map of a 1kW station emanating from Berwyn:

Good. I wouldn't want to listen to it in Gurnee, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
You have to bring back Chet and Boom Boom to start off the day. Pass it off to jail birds Dr Got Em Gupta and Webio financier Hernandez. After, go with the Bookie Priest, Anne Maxfield, and Julie Swieca (sp?). Evenings, will be that Scott Ferrall guy who has the beer tapper drop. Let him get drunk on air. Then loop Jim Rome replays overnight. If you need a fill in, get that child molester who worked for CLTV, Rob something or other.

This way, the failure will be swift and complete. We'll get a few laughs along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Is it the infamous Warren Freiberg station?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2016 8:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've always said it could work.

Yeah. Maybe they'd be 3rd. Yeah. Maybe the hosts would have to make 60k instead of 200-500k. Still, it has to do better than some of the bottom feeding stations in town.

What's wrong with making 60k to do a talk show that's 3rd of the three sports talkers? A lot of producers would jump at it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:47 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Get the Chicago guys from Barstool Sports and give them a show, social media sports personalities (YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, etc.), people with large followings that will listen to the terrestrial dial when they can, or a stream when they're out and about.

I agree with you on getting social media personalities but all the Barstool guys are in New York now.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:42 am 

denisdman wrote:
You have to bring back Chet and Boom Boom to start off the day. Pass it off to jail birds Dr Got Em Gupta and Webio financier Hernandez. After, go with the Bookie Priest, Anne Maxfield, and Julie Swieca (sp?). Evenings, will be that Scott Ferrall guy who has the beer tapper drop. Let him get drunk on air. Then loop Jim Rome replays overnight. If you need a fill in, get that child molester who worked for CLTV, Rob something or other.

This way, the failure will be swift and complete. We'll get a few laughs along the way.

Chus stalked Farrell off the radio in Chicago

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:53 am 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Beardown wrote:
I've always said it could work.

Yeah. Maybe they'd be 3rd. Yeah. Maybe the hosts would have to make 60k instead of 200-500k. Still, it has to do better than some of the bottom feeding stations in town.

What's wrong with making 60k to do a talk show that's 3rd of the three sports talkers? A lot of producers would jump at it.

Unless they have a piece of the action. Ownership stake

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:29 am 

pizza_Place: Cali Za Kitchen
Ron Wolfley wrote:
Get the Chicago guys from Barstool Sports and give them a show, social media sports personalities (YouTube, Twitter, Twitch, etc.), people with large followings that will listen to the terrestrial dial when they can, or a stream when they're out and about.

I agree with you on getting social media personalities but all the Barstool guys are in New York now.

Before Chernin bought Barstool, Dan Katz was in talks with 670 and 1000. He did a few shows with Shep on Saturday nights I believe. Regardless, PMT is wildly successful so it seemed to work out for him.

Side note: In January, they are starting Barstool radio on Sirius.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 9:46 am 
1000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Salerno's
from that map, i would just catch it. If Mac is on the air, I'm listening.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:31 am 

If North is already involved...I'm already not interested. He is a fucking boob...and the older he gets, the worse he gets.