It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:55 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/01/02/f ... oke-score/

check out the comments section :

Chester W Coppock · Host of hawks heritage series at Chicago Blackhawks

by the way, after I turned down an ofer to host any time slot i wanted on the SCORE I recommended they hire tom shaer.....mcneil was under conntract sat am-100....but decide to bolt to seth mason.... larry wert wanted to kill him...i played peacemaker and urged larry to let dan go to mason since dan;'s girlfriend was pregnan.
without north, the score would have been ove and out in less than a year
Like · Reply · 6 · 16 hrs

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:54 am 

pizza_Place: Quonset
Good stuff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:43 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
HawaiiYou wrote:
http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/01/02/feder-flashback-day-chicago-woke-score/

by the way, after I turned down an ofer to host any time slot i wanted on the SCORE I recommended they hire tom shaer.....mcneil was under conntract sat am-100....but decide to bolt to seth mason.... larry wert wanted to kill him...i played peacemaker and urged larry to let dan go to mason since dan;'s girlfriend was pregnan.

I tweeted at Chet 1 time......motherfucker blocked me

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:35 am 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Chet has completely lost it. I used to be a little more sympathetic as his show was a big part of graduate school routine for me. But the last two years, he doesn't have a single good thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:48 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
HawaiiYou wrote:
http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/01/02/feder-flashback-day-chicago-woke-score/

That is one angry guy.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:52 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
George Bliss · Works at St. Ignatius Board of Regents
Tom Shaer could sit in right now at 670 and boost ratings. He is the consummate pro.

:lol: :lol:

No one listened to Shaer when he was there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:02 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
Chet has completely lost it. I used to be a little more sympathetic as his show was a big part of graduate school routine for me. But the last two years, he doesn't have a single good thought.

I never thought Chet was a great interviewer. He was too grab-assy and relied on his stock guys. But I will say that his production values hark back to a different time where guys didn't just roll in and start blabbing every idiot thought that popped into their heads. That's why he wasn't really a good fit for the Score.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I never thought Chet was a great interviewer. He was too grab-assy and relied on his stock guys. But I will say that his production values hark back to a different time where guys didn't just roll in and start blabbing every idiot thought that popped into their heads. That's why he wasn't really a good fit for the Score.

Agreed.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

In reality, the Score was supposed to be like Chet's old shows. Hosts talking about sporting events and interviewing news makers, just like Chet did. North is the guy who changed what the Score programming model became. If they had hired Chet, they would, they would have been out of business in 18 months tops.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:06 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

In reality, the Score was supposed to be like Chet's old shows. Hosts talking about sporting events and interviewing news makers, just like Chet did. North is the guy who changed what the Score programming model became. If they had hired Chet, they would, they would have been out of business in 18 months tops.

This has been my assertion for years. North was the game changer with Dan Mc Neil eagerly following his lead.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Johns in Cal City
Espo and Schuster talked to Schaer yesterday. Schaer went on and on like it was the first time anyone wanted to talk to him in years. They had to cut him off.

"We could listen to these stories all day but we have to get to a SCOREBOARD UPDATE"

Then Schaer texted in later about how they stole the Ditka show, obviously wanting another call.

Sorry pal, its off to ZZ with his Halas Hall insight.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:22 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
good dolphin wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

This has been my assertion for years. North was the game changer with Dan Mc Neil eagerly following his lead.

The real game changer was Dahl. North was just a Chicago sports take on the style. Mac is somewhere in between. He learned the professionalism from Chet but he had the personality (and he undoubtedly was a fan of Dahl) to slide into the suddenly popular brand of unscripted and often rough radio that Dahl had pioneered. I think it's hilarious to hear the old air checks from when North was buying his own time and he spoke with no trace of a Chicago accent.

To me, guys like Dahl and North were fuckin' punk rock. Like the Ramones and the Sex Pistols. bernstein is Blink-182.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:24 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bernstein is Blink-182.
High praise!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
bernstein is Blink-182.
High praise!

Praise wrote:
Hello, fitness friend.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
A couple of years ago, Chet did a one-shot Sunday night deal on WLS that seemed to be a pilot for a new show. Then the PD got launched a week later, and that was that.

Even after however many years, Chet's production values and pacing were really damned professional. His thoughts were not fantastic, but he was only ever as good as his guests and neither his contacts list nor his producers were what they used to be. Chet really should have been the guy who Spada bankrolled to do taped interviews with all the almost dead people, since the only caller he ever liked was Wild Bill (RIP).

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:19 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
A couple of years ago, Chet did a one-shot Sunday night deal on WLS that seemed to be a pilot for a new show. Then the PD got launched a week later, and that was that.

Even after however many years, Chet's production values and pacing were really damned professional. His thoughts were not fantastic, but he was only ever as good as his guests and neither his contacts list nor his producers were what they used to be. Chet really should have been the guy who Spada bankrolled to do taped interviews with all the almost dead people, since the only caller he ever liked was Wild Bill (RIP).

Whoa,there Pal. I was also a semi-regular caller to Chet's show. No Clever Moniker at the time,just went as Jim.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And why Bernstein has such disdain for Murph. Like him or hate him, Murph put in the effort.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
what made the SCORE were all the stupid callers not the stupid hosts.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:22 pm 

Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

And why Bernstein has such disdain for Murph. Like him or hate him, Murph put in the effort.

It has been verified by MANY (not just Dan and Terry) that Murph was impossible to work with.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Douchebag wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

It has been verified by MANY (not just Dan and Terry) that Murph was impossible to work with.

I know Drinky and Cy Strezo had issues working for him (though who knows if it was due to actually having to work, i.e., produce, a show instead of just showing up and screening callers). As for the other hosts, during most of Murph's tenure it seemed as though he didn't interact much, partly because he was doing weekends or evening/post-game shows. For the most part they all seemed to coexist peacefully until the "soap story incident" (or whatever that story was that Boers, Bernstein, and/or McNeil told to intimate Murph was gay). It sounded like Murph over-reacted and may have had a big issue from that point on.

Would love to read Boers' tell-all book, if it ever gets written.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:06 pm 
Site Admin

Douchebag wrote:
Jaw Breaker wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I worked with Murph. Quite well actually. You can usually get along with whomever you choose to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:09 pm 

My take was Murph was demanding and made people work hard for him. Some people are not nice when they demand things.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Murph had that Tool of the Week award, didn't he?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
denisdman wrote:

Yep

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:21 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
pittmike wrote:
My take was Murph was demanding and made people work hard for him. Some people are not nice when they demand things.

Work hard on irrelevant and stupid shit maybe.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:34 pm 
Site Admin

sjboyd0137 wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Yep

viewtopic.php?f=156&t=100083&hilit=Tool+of+the+Week

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:52 pm 

Murph sometimes had less than 30 minutes due to the need to shut down at sunset. Yet, he managed to make those 30 minutes interesting and amusing.

I would be listening to that Texas station in the AM (before sunrise) thinking it was Tom Shaer's show.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:57 pm 

Murphy was ok by me. Especially when he was on weekends early on. He was Cub heavy but I always had it on in the background. That took talent. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I've heard read all the Murph horror stories and there are too many to say they're all making it up.

But I don't really care how Murph treats others.

All I know was his show was entertaining and informative on the score. I liked the cubs and baseball heavy routine plus all his corny skits. His bears stuff was very good too like the time he had a bunch of fans sing Bear Down and narrated the history of the song.

But the best thing about Murph was/is his love and passion for all things Chicago.

Too bad he's on for only an hour or two Saturday's. someone really needs to sign him up for a full time gig. He had the best ratings on the score consistently. And with the Cubs winning the WS, he would be a ratings gold mine. I'm sure there's people smart enough out there to realize that.

Btw - bores picking on Murph was so immature. Murph shouldn't have took the bait but talk about schoolyard bullies, that's what bores and McNeil / Bernstein were/are.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 4:44 pm 
Site Admin

Wanderer wrote:
Murph sometimes had less than 30 minutes due to the need to shut down at sunset. Yet, he managed to make those 30 minutes interesting and amusing.

I would be listening to that Texas station in the AM (before sunrise) thinking it was Tom Shaer's show.

WBAP hellooooooooo