It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:56 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm Still Standin'
PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Mac FM wrote:
Waiting For Ruffcorn, the event on 1/5 was top notch. Everybody was in a good mood. There was a lot of genuine affection in the room. I got there at noon to spend time with Terry's family and anybody else who might be early. Cut out around 3:30 as the very nice 'XRT performance studio became overcrowded. Bernstein was fine, at least with me. I didn't observe his interactions with others, nor was I interested. DB and I had a good laugh when Jiggs was on with Terry. I gave the old, gravelly Jiggs "hmmmmmmmm" and Dan had to duck around the corner so nobody saw him cracking up. It was a good day, but I'd be lying if I didn't confess some sadness as well. I saw some old friends, albeit work friends, who are physically broken... even more than I.

I recall a transition where Bernstein said he did not want North and others back. And you said it was time to bury the hatchet. It was a fun show to listen to.
Thanks for dropping by. Hope that you can get that slot with DiCaro that Denis has suggested. If not, hear you on the Board podcast.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: A cat got an online degree.
Mac FM wrote:
I wouldn't agree it blows, it's just evolved. The two biggest things to injure sports radio since 1/2/92: technology killed the star callers. First faxes, then e-mails, then texting, Twitter and Facebook followed. No.2, there seems to be a philosophy at many shops the product's purpose is to educate rather than entertain. There is a real absence of a fraternity house feel we ALL enjoyed in the early days of the Score and even more so on MJH.

Some things don't need evolution mac. Sharks haven't evolved further for millions of years because they're perfected killing machines. Sports radio was like that until 2010 or so. A lot of it is the Bernstein personality bleeding into the other shows. I never thought I'd say it but mully and Hanley is the best show in Chicago by a country mile.

Many that is true, but an incomplete statement.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:31 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Mac, sorry for my 25,000 texts.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:34 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
Mac FM wrote:
I wouldn't agree it blows, it's just evolved. The two biggest things to injure sports radio since 1/2/92: technology killed the star callers. First faxes, then e-mails, then texting, Twitter and Facebook followed. No.2, there seems to be a philosophy at many shops the product's purpose is to educate rather than entertain. There is a real absence of a fraternity house feel we ALL enjoyed in the early days of the Score and even more so on MJH.

Why can't the hosts just take calls and not texts. It is an audible medium of course.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:35 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories. Urlacher's missing neck, you're on to something buddy. Frank, it's still good to see you on Facebook. Yes, I still talk to Harry... he's pretty low. Sober, but low. Jurko is doing just fine, barring the scarcity of bonus checks.

:lol: Nice
:lol: One of the first things I noticed too.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: Luigi's
I don't disagree with the previous observations regarding Sports Talk Radio in Chicago.

In my experience, whether it is a friend, coworker or family member... Unlikable People = Unlikable Listen.

We all have these kind of people in our lives... a friend who may always run late, a coworker who may be a bit slow or a brother who doesn't promptly return calls. However, if you truly like them, they are more often going to get a pass if/when they occasionally drop the ball.

In my humble opinion, there are too many unlikable people/personalities on the air these days resulting in PTFB.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac FM wrote:
Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories. Urlacher's missing neck, you're on to something buddy. Frank, it's still good to see you on Facebook. Yes, I still talk to Harry... he's pretty low. Sober, but low. Jurko is doing just fine, barring the scarcity of bonus checks.

All you motherfuckers better get some apologies ready. Attaboy, Beardown!!

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:52 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon

[Look forward to hearing you regularly in some capacity again, Mac.]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:54 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Godfella wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

:lol: Nice

Sometimes Beardown reminds me of the crop duster pilot Randy Quaid played in the first "Independence Day" movie... In the end, he was right. :lol:

Beardown will be insufferable now.

Thanks, Mac.

:lol: Yeah very true. But props to beardown. I have been one of the most vocal about him being an idiot. But I was wrong. Have your day in the sun beardown.

Mac, good to hear from you. Your statement about evolving to educate rather than entertain is spot on. Hopefully the pendulum swings back to the entertain focus at some point. That is when sports radio is at its best.

Look forward to seeing what the future holds for you.

I still wish I understood what you saw in meatpants to bring him to the SCORE. He is bad, real bad and has taken to the role of petulant little bitch way too much.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 11:58 am 

Mac FM wrote:
Direct shot at Bernstein and his clones. People don't want to be lectured to , be told how to enjoy sports the right way , that the way they do enjoy sports is wrong or <sigh> problematic. Hope you get a gig soon so I can go back to criticizing you for mailing it rather than for not being there at all :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Luigi's

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:07 pm 

I am shocked that Beardown hasn't posted yet.

But I too am glad to hear that you're doing well Mac.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
I owe Mac a drink for pointing me in the direction of the board and countless hours of entertainment and quite a few friends that Ive made IRL.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
You look and sound well, I hope that's true. Thanks for the info and best of luck going forward. I love that Beardown is right and I'm still annoyed you gave us Speigel, he's terrible.

Looks like Bernstein is a douche and it's not just an act as you all like to tell me from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Mac, any ice fishing this year?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Beardown, the hero we need but don't deserve.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Spaulding, if you can... go back to the winter/spring of 2009. Close your eyes and travel back. You there? If not Spiegel, who?

Leashyourkids, I have a theory on those who ice fish... it's because they hate their wives! I do not. Seriously, I hate ANY fishing when I'm not casting. I don't even like jigging minnows when I'm shirtless. Casting or bust.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Danny Parkins 2009.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Mac FM wrote:
Spaulding, if you can... go back to the winter/spring of 2009. Close your eyes and travel back. You there? If not Spiegel, who?

Hmmm...where was Laurence in his career arc at that time? I was surprised when he didn't get the nod when Mannelly filled the void you left, and also when Jason was brought back after Mannelly.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:34 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Hmmm...where was Laurence in his career arc at that time?

He was doing 10-noon with Hampton.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
Mac, have you ever had the misfortune of meeting Julie Dicaro? If so, please give us details regarding what an awful human being she is. If you only have nice things to say, please keep them to yourself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
It's probably better that The Score didn't work out. The station you knew is dead and buried thanks to Dan Bernstein. I haven't tuned in since probably Fall 2015 at this point. You can probably guess what turned me away from that station. I won't be back. I would love to see you land at ESPN if that ever were possible. Kap has a decent show going there.

If a 3rd station does launch, I would give them a listen. I just want a station that actually gives hockey its due in this town. The only person who understands hockey at 670 is a producer, not a host. This is a sport that will be #1 for a significant portion of listeners who are coming of age. The Bears are irrelevant to fans under 30 who never saw Super Bowl XX.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:54 pm 

Mac, we were looking for you at the last B & B show. Instead, I looked deep into the eyes of Dan Bernstein, and I haven't been the same since.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac, we were looking for you at the last B & B show. Instead, I looked deep into the eyes of Dan Bernstein, and I haven't been the same since.

If the camera panned out,you would see the back of Leash's head.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:07 pm 

jimmypasta wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
I find, in general, the best working relationships are ones where you can be honest and yourself. Those relationships can be formed by being allies or adversaries. You specifically need to like the people you work with or at least feel like they are good people. Relationships are important to you.

The 2 shows where you have had the most success or people enjoyed the most seem to be HFC with Terry and MJH with Harry. I didn’t listen to your show with Terry, but I believe you have a genuine fondness and respect for him. You are both likable and good people.

I’ve always thought MJH was successful because Harry kept you focused and in a way energized. The adversarial relationship can be highly successful but can only be sustained for so long. The last few years there were difficult for you and it showed. Again I think even with his goofy ass ideas you considered him a good person.

Spiegel is smarmy and douchey. He doesn’t treat people particularly well but feels he deserves respectful and sunshiny treatment at all times. He doesn't seem like your type of guy. He seems like the type of guy you'd make fun of or roll your eyes at and not in a good way. TM called it when he said "Spiegel lacks presence, charisma, or personality" and you should have picked the "best co-host available, not just someone who complements you".

While I’m not usually big on co-hosts with an age gap, I’d like to have heard you with drinky in 2009. If that didn’t work Slapshot Ed or Gridiron Assassin. :P I don't know who else was out there but you have always surrounded yourself with strong or big personalities. They make you great in one way or another.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:12 pm 

leashyourkids wrote:
jimmypasta wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

:lol:

:lol: :lol: Score one for jimmy.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:42 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
Good to have you back Mac. MANY here are huge fans and wish you the best.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Nas wrote:
Good to have you back Mac. MANY here are huge fans and wish you the best.

This

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:41 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Thanks for posting Mac.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next