It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: I'm Still Standin'
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:59 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Wow, if your "#1 sports talk station in Chicago" is just 0.2 ahead of a 5700 Watt FM News/Talk station, maybe you need to evaluate your "voice of the fan" claims.

Also, 5 other top-10 markets are doing 3+ overall shares in the holiday books with their sports-talk formatted stations, so I don't think the time of year completely explains a 2.2, that's gotta be content-related.

Which markets are you talking about? They could have totally different situations with their local teams. Consider most people peaced out on the Bears by October, the Bulls have been mediocre-to-bad, and the Blackhawks have been pretty good but the Score doesn't believe in covering the NHL unless absolutely necessary. To the extent that it's content-related, it would have to be that they're locked into all the Bears stuff they have to do because the whole CBS cluster is married to the Bears. There just hasn't been a lot of Chicago sports to talk about, especially when you treat one (arguably two now with the Sox) of your teams as Rosemary Kennedy.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:00 pm 
1000 CLUB

RFDC wrote:
The fact that Mac has said Beardowns guesses are closer to right than we realize and the fact that Beardown has remained anonymous during this time makes me think he is someone closely connected to the SCORE. Someone who has worked there in the past ,someone who still works there?

Hmmm. That's an interesting theory. That's the type of thing I would come up with. Since I didn't, it's probably not true.

It's ok. You're new at this. You'll get there one day, kid.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Beardown wrote:
RFDC wrote:
The fact that Mac has said Beardowns guesses are closer to right than we realize and the fact that Beardown has remained anonymous during this time makes me think he is someone closely connected to the SCORE. Someone who has worked there in the past ,someone who still works there?

Hmmm. That's an interesting theory. That's the type of thing I would come up with. Since I didn't, it's probably not true.

It's ok. You're new at this. You'll get there one day, kid.

:lol:

Alright, this wasn't bad. Blind squirrel, nut, all that jazz

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
Wow, if your "#1 sports talk station in Chicago" is just 0.2 ahead of a 5700 Watt FM News/Talk station, maybe you need to evaluate your "voice of the fan" claims.

Also, 5 other top-10 markets are doing 3+ overall shares in the holiday books with their sports-talk formatted stations, so I don't think the time of year completely explains a 2.2, that's gotta be content-related.

Which markets are you talking about? They could have totally different situations with their local teams. Consider most people peaced out on the Bears by October, the Bulls have been mediocre-to-bad, and the Blackhawks have been pretty good but the Score doesn't believe in covering the NHL unless absolutely necessary. To the extent that it's content-related, it would have to be that they're locked into all the Bears stuff they have to do because the whole CBS cluster is married to the Bears. There just hasn't been a lot of Chicago sports to talk about, especially when you treat one (arguably two now with the Sox) of your teams as Rosemary Kennedy.

New York, San Francisco, Atlanta, Philly, and Boston.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:40 pm 

There you go: two Super Bowl teams, two rock-solid sports stations in WFAN and WIP, and the Warriors' market.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
There you go: two Super Bowl teams, two rock-solid sports stations in WFAN and WIP, and the Warriors' market.

Well, yeah, WFAN and WIP have cemented themselves as a must listen for sports fans in that market, and their talent/content can weather poor performance by local teams. WSCR, seemingly, cannot, and I think that reflects on their personalities and style of content.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:44 pm 

Philadelphia acknowledges all four of their major teams. That always helps.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:08 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Godfella wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
Zippy, you and the fellas would be amazed at how spot-on accurate Beardown is with MANY of his conspiracy theories. Urlacher's missing neck, you're on to something buddy. Frank, it's still good to see you on Facebook. Yes, I still talk to Harry... he's pretty low. Sober, but low. Jurko is doing just fine, barring the scarcity of bonus checks.

:lol: Nice

Sometimes Beardown reminds me of the crop duster pilot Randy Quaid played in the first "Independence Day" movie... In the end, he was right. :lol:

Beardown will be insufferable now.

Thanks, Mac.

Now?

Former host of The Outdoors Experience on WIND and The Great Outdoors on CLTV
http://www.wefishasa.com

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:10 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Beardown is my guy.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:19 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Beardown is my guy.
Get him on the podcast. You can do the following segments;

-Behind the scenes radio conspiracies
-Knot tying
-Solutions to clean up blood stains
-French fries
-Fingerprints

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:32 am 

Mac FM wrote:
Spaulding, if you can... go back to the winter/spring of 2009. Close your eyes and travel back. You there? If not Spiegel, who?

Hood

As you know, I am not in the virulent Spiegal haters club. I think he has been disappointing at times in his dedication to his day job and his sensitivity. I think someone just needs to tell him that his music is a hobby, not a career.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:34 am 

jimmypasta wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Mac, we were looking for you at the last B & B show. Instead, I looked deep into the eyes of Dan Bernstein, and I haven't been the same since.

If the camera panned out,you would see the back of Leash's head.

Now I know why he does that sneer as his smile rather than a full toothed smile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:41 am 

pizza_Place: Gioacchino's
good dolphin wrote:

Hood

As you know, I am not in the virulent Spiegal haters club. I think he has been disappointing at times in his dedication to his day job and his sensitivity. I think someone just needs to tell him that his music is a hobby, not a career.

No! Hood and McNeil were baaaaad together. All hood did was his imitations and they aren't that good. Hood alone or sometimes with jd when he wasn't pissy about something was okay.

Disappointing at times? Your guy Speigel sucks balls. He's not your type of guy either. He's better at his hobby than his career which is unfortunate for all of us.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:54 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Hood

No! Hood and McNeil were baaaaad together. All hood did was his imitations and they aren't that good. Hood alone or sometimes with jd when he wasn't pissy about something was okay.

Disappointing at times? Your guy Speigel sucks balls. He's not your type of guy either. He's better at his hobby than his career which is unfortunate for all of us.

That's a good description of Hood. Too many unfunny imitations, and if one of them is funny and gets a positive reaction he immediately does it over and over again and kills it. He's tolerable when he's not pissy, but he often is pissy, especially when someone disagrees with him, and when he's like that he's pretty much Chocolate Spiegel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:58 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Listen to the podcast to find out a fun fact about J Hood. You won't be disappointed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:07 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:

That's a good description of Hood. Too many unfunny imitations, and if one of them is funny and gets a positive reaction he immediately does it over and over again and kills it. He's tolerable when he's not pissy, but he often is pissy, especially when someone disagrees with him, and when he's like that he's pretty much Chocolate Spiegel.

It was like he'd be doing stand up for dan. Idk why but Dan would laugh. hood would keep doing stuff but none of it was funny. It was brutal. Whenever he'd sub with Dan my eyes would roll back in my head and then i'd punch the button.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelios
Spaulding wrote:
my eyes would roll back in my head and then i'd punch the button.

Euphemism?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:29 pm 

Spaulding wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

Hood

I like all types of guys

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
I have a feeling we won't see him (here) again for another 6-9 months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
RE: some of the board's suggestions on who I should have championed for a partnership in 2009 instead of Spiegs.

J Hood was not a possibility. Mitch wanted nothing to do with J at that time. No idea if that's changed.

Doug Buffone was not a consideration. Loved doing Bears/NFL pregame stuff with him more than 20 years ago, but he was not equipped to do all sports. His knowledge of/ and interest-in the NBA and college basketball was less than even mine!

Steve Rosenbloom was not a candidate. Mitch never suggested him and I never was desirous of a full-time partnership with him. He's a comfortable Saturday listen and as a bench guy... not what I would call a starter.

I wasn't desirous of Barry Rozner. I like Barry, but believe he's much better as a contributor than as a host.

Did I miss any other of your suggestions?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Thanks for posting Mac. Sorry for calling you an asshole. Did not know you were sworn to secrecy for a few months.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:45 pm 

Mac FM wrote:
RE: some of the board's suggestions on who I should have championed for a partnership in 2009 instead of Spiegs.

J Hood was not a possibility. Mitch wanted nothing to do with J at that time. No idea if that's changed.

Doug Buffone was not a consideration. Loved doing Bears/NFL pregame stuff with him more than 20 years ago, but he was not equipped to do all sports. His knowledge of/ and interest-in the NBA and college basketball was less than even mine!

Steve Rosenbloom was not a candidate. Mitch never suggested him and I never was desirous of a full-time partnership with him. He's a comfortable Saturday listen and as a bench guy... not what I would call a starter.

I wasn't desirous of Barry Rozner. I like Barry, but believe he's much better as a contributor than as a host.

Joe Cowley?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:49 pm 

You missed mine but that could have been on purpose or because my response was long winded.

I agree with you on Buffone, Rozner, and Rosenbloom hosts not working out and why.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
At that time, Cowley hadn't really emerged as a columnist and I don't think anybody then was even considering him as a co-host. Once I got to know him and work with him a few times, I regarded him a fine bench guy.

No need to apologize, spmack! I am an asshole... just not for reasons you indicated.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:53 pm 

"Career in Radio" advice is always good from a guy that swaps out jobs more than Bobby Petrino.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:58 pm 

Mac FM wrote:

Laurence Holmes? At the time, Spiegs' most recent work had been Sporting News Radio, nationally-centered stuff, and Holmes had been doing a daytime gig in-market for awhile, I'm wondering what made Spiegs more of a viable candidate than Holmes, who appeared to, even at that time, have the better resume? Was it music knowledge?

Last edited by Juice's Lecture Notes on Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
A Rozner/Mac pairing would have put me in the most conflicted position possible. I did put up with Harry, so I may have leaned toward listening.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:04 pm 

Laurence Holmes? At the time, Spiegs' most recent work had been Sporting News Radio, nationally-centered stuff, and Holmes had been doing a daytime gig in-market for awhile, I'm wondering what made Spiegs more of a viable candidate than Holmes, who appeared to, even at that time, have the better resume? Was it music knowledge?

Lots of things make anyone a more viable candidate than Holmes, even Spiegel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
How about Kaplan ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 3:07 pm 

badrogue17 wrote:
How about Kaplan ?

ok, someone with the mult login has to take this one :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 150 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next