It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucio's
http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/87 ... en-off-air

WMAQ-TV/NBC 5 lead sports anchor Mike Adamle has been on medical leave since March 2016. It was originally hoped he would be away only for a few weeks, but his absence has now gone on for nearly a year. Viewers have been wondering what is going on with Adamle all this time. The answers will be revealed on Tuesday night, as Adamle will openly discuss his severe disease in an interview airing on WMAQ-TV's 10:00pm newscast.

Adamle was born and raised in a suburb of Cleveland, but fell in love with the Chicago area while attending Northwestern University in the late 1960s and early 1970s. While at Northwestern, Adamle played football with the NU Wildcats, serving as team captain, and setting a rushing record in 1969 that still stands today. He was drafted as a running back by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1971, traded to the New York Jets in 1973, and happily joined the Chicago Bears in 1975. Adamle left the NFL at the start of the 1977 season, choosing to instead go into sports broadcasting.

Among the national sports outlets Adamle worked for included NBC Sports from (1977-1983), ABC Sports (1984, 1989-1994), and ESPN (1985, 1994-1995, 1996-2003). He hosted the nationally syndicated sports/reality show "American Gladiators" from 1989-1996 and "Battle of the Network Reality Stars" in 2005. Adamle joined World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE) at the start of 2008 as a broadcaster, later being named as "General Manager" of WWE's show "Raw." Adamle's time with the WWE was nothing short of a disaster, though, and he was released by the end of that year.

Along with his national television work, Adamle has been somewhat of a fixture on Chicago television for the past three decades. He was a sports reporter/anchor with WLS-TV/ABC from 1983-1989. He held the same roles with WMAQ-TV from 1998-2001, followed by WBBM-TV/CBS 2 from 2001-2004. Adamle rejoined WMAQ-TV in 2005, first as a part-time freelancer, and later as a full-time employee.

Among his Chicago journalism honors include a Peter Lisagor Award for outstanding sports coverage (2001) and two local Emmy Awards (2000, 2001).

Recent years have seen some personal difficulties for Adamle, as it was publicly revealed that he and his wife Kim had filed for divorce and were living apart (the two have since reconciled and seem to be quite happy together), had his house with his wife foreclosed upon during the divorce proceeding period, and was arrested for a DUI (charges of which were later dropped when it was revealed he was not drunk, but rather dealing with a side effect from medicine he was taking).

Although still in fantastic shape and a competitor in Ironman Triathlons, Adamle has had his share of medical troubles, most notably his being diagnosed with epilepsy, something he has been open about. He sits on the Board of Directors for Epilepsy Foundation's Greater Chicago division.

In recent years, WMAQ-TV viewers have commented that Adamle had been making on-air mistakes and sometimes appeared to slurring his words and/or jumbling his words. It was first thought that it was related to his epilepsy and the medication needed to treat it.

It turns out, there is a far worse medical reason behind his on-air and off-air troubles. It also is the reason for Adamle's indefinite leave of absence from the television station.

On Tuesday night during its 10:00pm newscast, WMAQ-TV will air an interview between reporter Peggy Kusinski and Adamle, in which he will publicly reveal his medical condition, and how it relates to his years of playing football. This is something Adamle's family, friends, and co-workers have known for quite some time, but will be openly and publicly discussed for the very first time by him.

Adamle will talk about his serious health condition and why it has prevented him from working on-air, as well as his current treatment and prognosis for the future.

On Wednesday's 10:00pm newscast, WMAQ-TV will air a follow-up report with additional information on Adamle's disease.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:55 am 

pizza_Place: It's gone
I hope he's ok. Always thought he was a good guy. He was big time there in the late 80s or early 90s I think. During that American Gladiator show.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:54 am 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
Sad. I'm assuming ALS.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:07 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
redskingreg wrote:
Sad. I'm assuming ALS.

I'm thinking advanced dimentia.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Boboli
I'm thinking more cocaine?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:43 am 

He's been famous for flubbing words for 30+ years. Don't blame football. Also, it's unseemly to tease his condition for ratings.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:51 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
That article has a real "I know something you don't know" feel to it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:53 am 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Bernsteinish?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

It's Larz....of course it does.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:01 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
He's been terrible at his job for years. Seems like a nice guy, though, and I hope his health improves.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:02 am 

Tad Queasy wrote:
He's been terrible at his job for years.

SHOTS FIRED at Larz!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:38 am 

He's been off the air since last March? Wow, sorry to say haven't missed him or even noticed.
In the tease on the news last night, he had a little 'Michael J Fox" look to him.

Anywho, wonder if Peggy brings up the 1986 super bowl with the Bears, and Adamle going
awol the week before hand? Tim Wiegel should have given him the lifetime "Wiegel Wiener"
for that stunt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 10:48 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Sarge wrote:
He's been off the air since last March? Wow, sorry to say haven't missed him or even noticed.
In the tease on the news last night, he had a little 'Michael J Fox" look to him.

Anywho, wonder if Peggy brings up the 1986 super bowl with the Bears, and Adamle going
awol the week before hand? Tim Wiegel should have given him the lifetime "Wiegel Wiener"
for that stunt.

How do you get to keep your job after that?

His WWE stuff is legendarily bad. Seems like a nice guy, but broadcasting was never his best skill despite 30 years in it.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Dementia and suspected CTE, per the report.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:52 pm 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
I still remember my H.S. teacher telling me how Adamle hit the Dean of NU with a snowball and blamed my teacher for it. :lol:

Only man ever to start ahead of Walter Payton. He was a pretty good RB at the NFL level. Kind of like a white Dennis Gentry but not as good.

I agree it's terrible to "tease" this story all week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2017 3:38 pm 

Mike Adamle was also the original "little Monkey" as referred to by Howard Cosell.