It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:29 pm 
1000 CLUB

The article has some priceless bullshit in it, like this quote from Mitch-
"“Laurence is one of the most talented broadcasters in the market. He can tell a story, give an opinion, and listen, which is key to a great host," said operations director Mitch Rosen. "He is so smart and has a pulse on the city of what people are talking about and debating in the sports world."

Hey Mitch, if this is true why do you put halfwits like Spiegel, Goff and Bernstein on during the day? Just asking, because none
of this applies to any of them.

This is also a gem-

"This month represented a career crossroads for Holmes, who started at WSCR as a part-time producer in 1998. Exploring the market for the first time as a free agent of sorts, he said he talked to program directors and talent in radio and TV not only about job prospects, but for career advice and tips that would help his show

Holmes, who worked with 120 Sports before it moved its operations to New York and still remains on NBC-5's roster, said he was close to accepting a "non-sports" TV role. "
A non-sports role? What as a weather girl? He's a fucking moron, who it seems was desperate for a job.
Money is minimal.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
312player wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Are you guys seriously? 350k? For a radio host? I always thought they were paid crap. And doesn't Larry usually work part time during Cubs season?

Boers was making $500k and Bernstein likely isn't far behind, but Laurence makes nowhere near that. The inflated salary numbers for him are a board meme.

Dolphin pegged him (if you'll pardon the expression) perfectly.

Sure Boers had a year where he made 500k, then the next few years it was significantly less..North made close to a million a year at one time too..the salaries have nosedived..Bernstein is the highest paid guy at the station at 250k and nobody is even sniffing that. Mac was making more than that for a decade.

This is all true. Radio revenues have significantly decreased over the last decade thanks to podcasts and everyone having wifi in their car (or at least devices with 3G and data plans) so salaries have followed the trend downwards.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:39 pm 

ChiefWampum wrote:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/breaking/ct-laurence-holmes-wscr-am-670-contract-20170224-story.html
Claims he reeeeally wanted Parkins' job. But he said he didn't want it when Mac left, didn't he?

When Mac left he was starting 120 so I believe it then. 120 nosedived on him so he was available again for that slot.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
312player wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:
Are you guys seriously? 350k? For a radio host? I always thought they were paid crap. And doesn't Larry usually work part time during Cubs season?

Boers was making $500k and Bernstein likely isn't far behind, but Laurence makes nowhere near that. The inflated salary numbers for him are a board meme.

Sure Boers had a year where he made 500k, then the next few years it was significantly less..North made close to a million a year at one time too..the salaries have nosedived..Bernstein is the highest paid guy at the station at 250k and nobody is even sniffing that. Mac was making more than that for a decade.

This is all true. Radio revenues have significantly decreased over the last decade thanks to podcasts and everyone having wifi in their car (or at least devices with 3G and data plans) so salaries have followed the trend downwards.

No radio host in a huge market takes a pay cut in a prime slot without moving on. Bernstien is pulling down $ 600,000 or better. Ad revenues have little to do with keeping valuable on air talent.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:43 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
the ghost of t-dub wrote:
Reading that article I noticed it says Terry has cancer? Was this previously announced?

I hadn't thought so but Mac mentioned it on the podcast and said Terry had been upfront about it.

I figured I just missed something.

It was announced during one of his final shows and also was in articles surrounding it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:44 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
312player wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

No radio host in a huge market takes a pay cut in a prime slot without moving on. Bernstien is pulling down $ 600,000 or better. Ad revenues have little to do with keeping valuable on air talent.
Salaries are going down and have trended that way since at least 2007. As operating income decreases, you can't keep expenses flat let alone increase them. Mitch would be out of a job if that were the case.

The big market name will take the cut as he knows those cuts are being felt everywhere and unless he's national he has no way of getting higher than what he's getting at 670 at another station. Basically Bernstein has to suck it up and he knows it as there are no greener pastures in this dying industry.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:51 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
312player wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
blackhawksfan wrote:

Salaries are going down and have trended that way since at least 2007. As operating income decreases, you can't keep expenses flat let alone increase them. Mitch would be out of a job if that were the case.

The big market name will take the cut as he knows those cuts are being felt everywhere and unless he's national he has no way of getting higher than what he's getting at 670 at another station. Basically Bernstein has to suck it up and he knows it as there are no greener pastures in this dying industry.

You are wrong but whatever. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Can we stop with the "Dan Bernstein is a disappointment" shit? Bernstein is obviously a 1%er and works 5 hours a day with no stress. If anyone here has a better setup, God blessed you. Whether he's an asshole or not, there's no denying that he has a pretty great life.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:55 pm 

Scooter wrote:

Revenues are down and salaries are down as well. Just look at it, no one is making Mike North or Terry Boers money anymore and those numbers won't be touched on local sports radio again. The Score takes in only $20-21MM in revenue a year. You have to maintain your broadcast equipment, pay your rights deals, rent expensive downtown office space, play a sales team, web team, management, on air talent, advertise, and still turn a profit.

Inflation is pushing all of your expenses up at a time your revenue is decreasing. As such you need to control your costs and the decrease in on-air host salary is the result.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:57 pm 

Score is doomed wrote:
"“Laurence is one of the most talented broadcasters in the market. He can tell a story, give an opinion, and listen, which is key to a great host," said operations director Mitch Rosen. "He is so smart and has a pulse on the city of what people are talking about and debating in the sports world."

Hey Mitch, if this is true why do you put halfwits like Spiegel, Goff and Bernstein on during the day? Just asking, because none

This is also a gem-

"This month represented a career crossroads for Holmes, who started at WSCR as a part-time producer in 1998. Exploring the market for the first time as a free agent of sorts, he said he talked to program directors and talent in radio and TV not only about job prospects, but for career advice and tips that would help his show

Holmes, who worked with 120 Sports before it moved its operations to New York and still remains on NBC-5's roster, said he was close to accepting a "non-sports" TV role. "
A non-sports role? What as a weather girl? He's a fucking moron, who it seems was desperate for a job.
Money is minimal.

You seem like an optimistic chap.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Score is doomed wrote:

This is also a gem-

Money is minimal.

Yeah. Larry is a bullshitter. The way I read this story is that Larry was pissed that he got passed over, tried to find something better, got offered some part time TV shit that wasn't better then his SCORE part time gig. Then crawled back to the SCORE. Mitch didn't give a shit if he left or not. Like I said before, 80% of SCORE nights are games. It doesn't matter. And when Larry is on, people are watching games that the SCORE doesn't have.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:01 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Revenues are down and salaries are down as well. Just look at it, no one is making Mike North or Terry Boers money anymore and those numbers won't be touched on local sports radio again. The Score takes in only $20-21MM in revenue a year. You have to maintain your broadcast equipment, pay your rights deals, rent expensive downtown office space, play a sales team, web team, management, on air talent, advertise, and still turn a profit.

Inflation is pushing all of your expenses up at a time your revenue is decreasing. As such you need to control your costs and the decrease in on-air host salary is the result.

As I said wrong but keep on believing what you will. This is a dumb argument and I am done with it.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:05 pm 

Scooter wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scooter wrote:

As I said wrong but keep on believing what you will. This is a dumb argument and I am done with it.

My numbers are in line with what Feder reports. You can see 670's revenue (and other stations) by year and see the decline.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
FavreFan wrote:
Leery sounds creep and weird on the radio. Definitely doesn't have a better sound.

I disagree. Leery's voice definitely has more polish than Parkins', and his pacing, especially on his own, is right up there with Bernstein's--who, despite his content, displays the consummate talk radio cadence. Leery has great intonation--again on par with Bernstein--whereas Parkins generally tends towards vocal inflection. Even when Parkins intonates, it is most often either a screeching fry or better categorized as inflection.

Quote:
Don't think experience in a big market means anything. If it did, Leery and Spiegel wouldn't be so awful on the radio.

It means something to program directors. Just try getting a major market radio gig with little more than a great voice.

Also, of course it means something. It's the difference between reading relevant texts on the fly (like Leery and MANY other hosts on the station can) and constantly, endlessly, referencing the "awful texts people are probably sending" like Parkins does. Parkins still very much has pangs of mid-market antics in his sound. Leery can give his opinion and move on, without feeling the compulsion to hedge against texters that have yet to text.

Quote:
Who cares about a better relationship with a guy who's awful and on his way out the door?

I think the listeners care, so they don't have to hear painfully awkward disruptions in a sports talk show born from two people either genuinely not knowing one another, not liking one another, or both.

Quote:
I don't think Leery had some large contingent of fans.

He's got 60K followers on Twitter, almost 10K on Instagram. That kind of following can certainly influence PPM numbers in a new timeslot.

Quote:
He doesn't have better prep skills - the one thing someone can't criticize Parkins for is lack of preparation.

I'm not criticizing Parkins for failing to prepare, I'm saying that Holmes is better-prepared, and can speak intelligently on a wider range of topics.

Quote:
Holmes doesn't have better knowledge of any topics and teams, he just repeats whatever The Score as a station decides the narrative is that day.

This simply is not true. Leery has been operating as an almost-daily sports yakker in this town for quite awhile. As a result, he has a much better working knowledge of current goings-on than any transplant possibly could have. In 6 months, sure, their working knowledge of current issues in this town might be comparable, but you also have to consider that we're talking about bringing in the transplant over a talent already in-market. Choosing the out-of-market transplant over the in-market guy is necessarily choosing a breaking-in period over a virtually seamless transition, current events-wise. Which is fine, it's just that there better be supreme talent elsewhere in the guy's repertoire, and I don't see any for Parkins when evaluated relative to Leery.

Quote:
He doesn't have more talent than Parkins. If even half of what you said is true Parkins wouldn't have the job and we wouldn't be having this back and forth.

There are other reasons Parkins could have the job despite a talent disparity in Leery's favor (which there is).

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:46 am 

Scooter wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scooter wrote:

You're a genius.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:05 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Leery sounds creep and weird on the radio. Definitely doesn't have a better sound.

I disagree. Leery's voice definitely has more polish than Parkins', and his pacing, especially on his own, is right up there with Bernstein's--who, despite his content, displays the consummate talk radio cadence. Leery has great intonation--again on par with Bernstein--whereas Parkins generally tends towards vocal inflection. Even when Parkins intonates, it is most often either a screeching fry or better categorized as inflection.

Quote:
Don't think experience in a big market means anything. If it did, Leery and Spiegel wouldn't be so awful on the radio.

It means something to program directors. Just try getting a major market radio gig with little more than a great voice.

Also, of course it means something. It's the difference between reading relevant texts on the fly (like Leery and MANY other hosts on the station can) and constantly, endlessly, referencing the "awful texts people are probably sending" like Parkins does. Parkins still very much has pangs of mid-market antics in his sound. Leery can give his opinion and move on, without feeling the compulsion to hedge against texters that have yet to text.

Quote:
Who cares about a better relationship with a guy who's awful and on his way out the door?

I think the listeners care, so they don't have to hear painfully awkward disruptions in a sports talk show born from two people either genuinely not knowing one another, not liking one another, or both.

Quote:
I don't think Leery had some large contingent of fans.

He's got 60K followers on Twitter, almost 10K on Instagram. That kind of following can certainly influence PPM numbers in a new timeslot.

Quote:
He doesn't have better prep skills - the one thing someone can't criticize Parkins for is lack of preparation.

I'm not criticizing Parkins for failing to prepare, I'm saying that Holmes is better-prepared, and can speak intelligently on a wider range of topics.

Quote:
Holmes doesn't have better knowledge of any topics and teams, he just repeats whatever The Score as a station decides the narrative is that day.

This simply is not true. Leery has been operating as an almost-daily sports yakker in this town for quite awhile. As a result, he has a much better working knowledge of current goings-on than any transplant possibly could have. In 6 months, sure, their working knowledge of current issues in this town might be comparable, but you also have to consider that we're talking about bringing in the transplant over a talent already in-market. Choosing the out-of-market transplant over the in-market guy is necessarily choosing a breaking-in period over a virtually seamless transition, current events-wise. Which is fine, it's just that there better be supreme talent elsewhere in the guy's repertoire, and I don't see any for Parkins when evaluated relative to Leery.

Quote:
He doesn't have more talent than Parkins. If even half of what you said is true Parkins wouldn't have the job and we wouldn't be having this back and forth.

There are other reasons Parkins could have the job despite a talent disparity in Leery's favor (which there is).

:lol: twitter followers, Larry has about a quarter of Mike North. He's a part time turd with no social life or social skills...he's willing to come to the studio for a 35 minute show when the Sox bump his shitty show. His show is cut out for NFL on Monday n Thursdays, Depaul basketball and a couple other sporting events..Mitch is throwing that nerd a bone by just keeping his creepy ass employed, he's probably been hoping that Larry would leave for a full time gig over the last 15 years but obviously he can't find one.

I've heard Parkins about ten times and he's already the best host on the Score, low bar for sure but it's true.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:30 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Can we stop with the "Dan Bernstein is a disappointment" shit? Bernstein is obviously a 1%er and works 5 hours a day with no stress. If anyone here has a better setup, God blessed you. Whether he's an asshole or not, there's no denying that he has a pretty great life.

Yup. Unlimited unlabeled wine too.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:11 pm 

There is no way he makes more than 125K - for an evening show? Commercial rates drop by 30% from drive to the next shift.Makes no financial sense for a guy who never does a full week.

As for DePaul, adjuncts get anywhere from 33000 to 5500, depending on time at the university and what you bring to the school ( background, etc). I know this for a fact as i was na adjunct in the same college as Holmes - my guess he's getting 4,000/class - and he teaches one a semester - call it no more than 12,000/year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:30 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Leery has great intonation

The mere fact that we call him "Leery" here means HE DOESN'T

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

Yeah, idk JLN, pretty much all of what you said is wrong or irrelevant. There's a reason Leery keeps getting passed over for full time gigs ever since the Hampton and Holmes abortion.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:14 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:

Ummm...that's not intonation. It has nothing to do with intonation.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:14 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
Yeah, idk JLN, pretty much all of what you said is wrong or irrelevant.

No, it isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:26 pm 

FavreFan wrote:

No, it isn't.

Well Mitch thinks it is, and his opinion is worth more than ours.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:31 pm 

FavreFan wrote:
FavreFan wrote:

No, it isn't.

Well Mitch thinks it is, and his opinion is worth more than ours.

We don't know that. All we know is the decision he made, which as my original post on the matter highlighted, is a curious one given all the evidence that Holmes is the better talent.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:27 pm 

There's no evidence he's a better talent, and the decision wasn't hard probably. I doubt Holmes was even in the top 3-4 in consideration for the spot.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:51 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
North's contract was $7.5m over 5 years (though I believe he had to pay Jen and other staff out of that). When the contract ended, he allegedly turned down their renewal offer of 800k per year.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:06 pm 

Holmes is better.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:38 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It's tough, because he is a lot better than he used to be, but I think there are perception issues with having a guy who has been a primary sub for years and years with a failed midday stint in between finally get another callup. Perhaps you could say that his window has closed. Sucks that he got saddled with Dan Hampton, yeah, but back then he was no better -- perhaps you remember his war against "the clowns" who had the temerity to hope the Bulls would win their best-of-seven with the Celtics, culminating in Leery wearing Celtics gear on some CSN talk show? Hamp and Holmes was some awful, awful radio and I wouldn't have minded if it had been Murph who got busted down to evenings while Leery was the one sent into orbit. Maybe his calling is in management -- the guy loves sports and the radio business more than most people at that station do for either, he's just hard to buy in a major daypart as anything but Laurence Holmes In For.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:04 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Just got word, he's at $407k.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:06 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Just got word, he's at $407k.

No, that's his retirement plan.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 10  Next