It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:08 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
leashyourkids wrote:
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Just got word, he's at $407k.

No, that's his retirement plan.

Are retirement plans still legal?

I've been watching the fake news.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's

I can no longer tell what is and is not a meme.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Curious Hair wrote:
It's tough, because he is a lot better than he used to be, but I think there are perception issues with having a guy who has been a primary sub for years and years with a failed midday stint in between finally get another callup. Perhaps you could say that his window has closed. Sucks that he got saddled with Dan Hampton, yeah, but back then he was no better -- perhaps you remember his war against "the clowns" who had the temerity to hope the Bulls would win their best-of-seven with the Celtics, culminating in Leery wearing Celtics gear on some CSN talk show? Hamp and Holmes was some awful, awful radio and I wouldn't have minded if it had been Murph who got busted down to evenings while Leery was the one sent into orbit. Maybe his calling is in management -- the guy loves sports and the radio business more than most people at that station do for either, he's just hard to buy in a major daypart as anything but Laurence Holmes In For.

If he's getting passed over for promotions because of the persistent stench of Hamp & Holmes, I have to wonder how Spiegel wasn't launched after the total failure that was Spiegel & Mannelly. I mean, that show was so bad one of the hosts up and quit, and Spiegel still got to go through two new on-air partners. If Mitch still perceives Holmes as a pending ratings disaster because of a show that ended (mercifully, I admit) 8 years ago, and passes him up for promotions because of it, but gives Spiegel two new partners after a similar bombing run, I can't help but notice the inconsistency and ponder on its cause.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
Hood got screwed over because of his failed show with Telander and he's 4x the host Holmes is.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:40 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
I have to wonder how Spiegel wasn't launched after the total failure that was Spiegel & Mannelly.

With the way the Spiegel & Parkins experience has gone, I would guess it has to do with changes in CBS Radio (now a division of Entercom) during a long guaranteed contract for Spiegel. Probably can't get permission to put that much money on the shelf.

I don't think there's some conspiracy to hold Laurence down. Mitch used to be his agent. If anything, he's had a wealth of opportunities.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:28 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I don't think his show with Hampton prevented him from moving back to mid-days as he said he turned down that role after Mannelly left because of 120 being a conflict at that time. He had his chance, but he missed it

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:15 am 

pizza_Place: aurelios
Curious Hair wrote:
It's tough, because he is a lot better than he used to be, but I think there are perception issues with having a guy who has been a primary sub for years and years with a failed midday stint in between finally get another callup. Perhaps you could say that his window has closed. Sucks that he got saddled with Dan Hampton, yeah, but back then he was no better -- perhaps you remember his war against "the clowns" who had the temerity to hope the Bulls would win their best-of-seven with the Celtics, culminating in Leery wearing Celtics gear on some CSN talk show? Hamp and Holmes was some awful, awful radio and I wouldn't have minded if it had been Murph who got busted down to evenings while Leery was the one sent into orbit. Maybe his calling is in management -- the guy loves sports and the radio business more than most people at that station do for either, he's just hard to buy in a major daypart as anything but Laurence Holmes In For.

I always figured that is what Drinky is waiting/shooting for.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:29 am 
1000 CLUB

Let's not excuse Larry for the "Hamp and Holmes" show. Of course Hampton was a horrible (We all knew he would be. Stuttering bitch.) But so was Larry.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:28 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Looks like Laurence's wife and Julie are two peas in a pod

https://twitter.com/hulkisholmes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:47 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Beardown wrote:
Let's not excuse Larry for the "Hamp and Holmes" show. Of course Hampton was a horrible (We all knew he would be. Stuttering bitch.) But so was Larry.

Yup.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
312player wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yup.

Yeah, some bad Leery takes in this thread.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
Larry would go down in the Chicago Radio Hall of Fame if not for Hamp.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 am 

didea wrote:
There is no way he makes more than 125K - for an evening show? Commercial rates drop by 30% from drive to the next shift.Makes no financial sense for a guy who never does a full week.

As for DePaul, adjuncts get anywhere from 33000 to 5500, depending on time at the university and what you bring to the school ( background, etc). I know this for a fact as i was na adjunct in the same college as Holmes - my guess he's getting 4,000/class - and he teaches one a semester - call it no more than 12,000/year.

Celebrity professors make their own deals. I stick by my numbers

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:57 am 

I think Sir would be a solid straight man for a host with a big personality and little desire for show prep

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:27 am 

I feel bad for Lawrence. I think reality has hit him that he is being groomed to be the next Les rather than the next Dan. It would be kind of funny if he completely changed things up as a result of this existential crisis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:41 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
He would make a very good prep work guy but he can't drive a show with dreck for a co host like Hampton was. I don't know, Holmes doesn't bother me but he just doesn't do much for me either. He is a creepy little dude but so are a lot of radio guys. There is something missing from him. Its not effort. He probably puts more effort in than most anyone on that station. Sometimes results don't match the work ethic though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
Feder just announced that Siafa Lewis was just promoted to top news anchor at NBC. Wonder if Holmes was trying for that position as well.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:28 pm 
1000 CLUB

spmack wrote:
Feder just announced that Siafa Lewis was just promoted to top news anchor at NBC. Wonder if Holmes was trying for that position as well.

Lewis was promoted to top "Sports" anchor. Not "News" anchor, Spmack. You made me google it cuz I didn't think that could be true.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/02/27/nbc-5-promotes-siafa-lewis-lead-sports-anchor/

Yeah, maybe Larry was applying for top sports anchor at NBC 5. But he would have to realize he didn't have a shot. He just hasn't done it long enough. How long was he on NBC? Maybe a year as a part time guy. There are people from lower markets that do it for years until they get the lead sports anchor in a big city. Lewis came from a couple of small markets to eventually get to Chicago. Same with Paula Faris before him.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:32 pm 

I was expecting to see a sexy dark chocolate mama when I clicked that link, Larry gotta be on suicide watch with all these doors closing right after another, guess all those years of kissing ass didn't do him much good.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
312player wrote:
Larry gotta be on suicide watch with all these doors closing right after another, guess all those years of kissing ass didn't do him much good.

Nah, he's like a puppy dog coming back for more.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Beardown wrote:
spmack wrote:

Lewis was promoted to top "Sports" anchor. Not "News" anchor, Spmack. You made me google it cuz I didn't think that could be true.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2017/02/27/nbc-5-promotes-siafa-lewis-lead-sports-anchor/

Yeah, maybe Larry was applying for top sports anchor at NBC 5. But he would have to realize he didn't have a shot. He just hasn't done it long enough. How long was he on NBC? Maybe a year as a part time guy. There are people from lower markets that do it for years until they get the lead sports anchor in a big city. Lewis came from a couple of small markets to eventually get to Chicago. Same with Paula Faris before him.

Who even watches sports on local news anymore?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:53 pm 

denisdman wrote:
312player wrote:
Larry gotta be on suicide watch with all these doors closing right after another, guess all those years of kissing ass didn't do him much good.

Nah, he's like a puppy dog coming back for more.

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Beardown wrote:
spmack wrote:

Remember the video from a year or so ago of Leery sneaking into Cheryl Scott's bathroom when she was getting ready (it looked like a bunch of NBC people were getting ready to go to some function) to record her and then chasing her around the room?

It seemed like Scott thought it was funny but it looked more than a little creepy/stalkerish. Maybe doing stuff like that and posting it online makes a station reluctant to promote you?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:46 pm 

Confirmed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock

LoHo should give me a ring if he needs help with his AMT calculation this tax season. Only the U.S. Government could come up with something so stupid. But we should all be in favor of it, since it is essentially a deductionless flat tax.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:06 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Douchebag wrote:
Scooter wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Scooter wrote:
You are wrong but whatever. :roll:

Revenues are down and salaries are down as well. Just look at it, no one is making Mike North or Terry Boers money anymore and those numbers won't be touched on local sports radio again. The Score takes in only $20-21MM in revenue a year. You have to maintain your broadcast equipment, pay your rights deals, rent expensive downtown office space, play a sales team, web team, management, on air talent, advertise, and still turn a profit.

Inflation is pushing all of your expenses up at a time your revenue is decreasing. As such you need to control your costs and the decrease in on-air host salary is the result.

As I said wrong but keep on believing what you will. This is a dumb argument and I am done with it.

You're a genius.

You are a retread. Old news. Weak stock. I am correct as usual.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:09 pm 

Scooter wrote:

Agreed. Douchebag is the P.J. Carlisemo of this board. Keeps getting chances for some unknown reason.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
Laurence made it known tonight that he was very flattered by the many opportunities he was offered and turned down during his "free agency" period.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
rogers park bryan wrote:
Scooter wrote:

Agreed. Douchebag is the P.J. Carlisemo of this board. Keeps getting chances for some unknown reason.

Affirmative action

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:57 pm 

On the Meat and Parkins show today there was a statement made that Larry made it known he wanted to get the spot next to meat. Did anyone else catch that?

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 272 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 10  Next