It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:40 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Entercom is going to want to cut costs, and Dan Bernstein should be the 1st casualty. He is high priced and not returning a fraction of what he should for the amount he is being paid.

They can bring in a 30 year old kid from a mid sized market (preferably one who was Chicago ranged like Parkins) and do better.

The guy i was referring to before was Ramie Makhlouf from 105.7 The Fan in Milwaukee. He is 35 or so. He does stand up when he isn't driving the afternoon show so he has some personality and isn't a stiff.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Entercom is going to want to cut costs, and Dan Bernstein should be the 1st casualty. He is high priced and not returning a fraction of what he should for the amount he is being paid.

They can bring in a 30 year old kid from a mid sized market (preferably one who was Chicago ranged like Parkins) and do better.

The guy i was referring to before was Ramie Makhlouf from 105.7 The Fan in Milwaukee. He is 35 or so. He does stand up when he isn't driving the afternoon show so he has some personality and isn't a stiff.

Don't put that evil on me!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Don't put that evil on me!

....but he's a good cubs fan!!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:20 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Curious Hair wrote:
They're not going to eat Bernstein's contract and give up what I can only assume is a shit-ton of David Hochberg money.

But not Mattress Firm money.

Mattress Firm has announced plans to close about 200 underperforming stores.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 12:06 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
I’ve got a great example of why SJW radio doesn’t work. I tuned in yesterday in my car. The hosts were non-descript—zepac and someone.

They had a guest on, I don’t know who. At the end of the segment, the guest said “Merry Christmas.” That’s it. Innocuous. Normal, for December 26th.

Zepac proceeds to go into a bit wherein he sarcastically states it’s OK to say “Merry Christmas” again, after 8 years of not being able to say that phrase. Went on for about a minute. Totally political, anti-Trump BS, and not necessary on a sports talk station. He could have easily just said “thanks” to the guest and moved on. IMO, it’s this not so subtle political crap that has ruined the Score. And I literally PTFB.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:24 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Heisenberg wrote:
I’ve got a great example of why SJW radio doesn’t work. I tuned in yesterday in my car. The hosts were non-descript—zepac and someone.

They had a guest on, I don’t know who. At the end of the segment, the guest said “Merry Christmas.” That’s it. Innocuous. Normal, for December 26th.

Zepac proceeds to go into a bit wherein he sarcastically states it’s OK to say “Merry Christmas” again, after 8 years of not being able to say that phrase. Went on for about a minute. Totally political, anti-Trump BS, and not necessary on a sports talk station. He could have easily just said “thanks” to the guest and moved on. IMO, it’s this not so subtle political crap that has ruined the Score. And I literally PTFB.

It starts at the top. Mitch probably thinks its edgy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:21 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Heisenberg wrote:

I don't know if there is a "War on Christmas" and I really don't give a shit anyway. I say "Merry Christmas" because I want to and because, you know, whether you like it or not, it is Christmas. But in insisting there isn't any "War on Christmas" in ways like the one you describe above, it's almost as if they are declaring one.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:24 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

I don't know if there is a "War on Christmas" and I really don't give a shit anyway. I say "Merry Christmas" because I want to and because, you know, whether you like it or not, it is Christmas. But in insisting there isn't any "War on Christmas" in ways like the one you describe above, it's almost as if they are declaring one.

People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!
Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) December 25, 2017

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:31 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

People are proud to be saying Merry Christmas again. I am proud to have led the charge against the assault of our cherished and beautiful phrase. MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!

So? I'm sure you don't think saying "Merry Christmas" is a bad thing. But it has been made into something one must tiptoe around.

Like this shit:

https://twitter.com/neiltyson/status/94 ... 76?lang=en

Hey! Shana Tova to all my Jewish friends and to the 8 million non-Jews on planet earth, FUCK ZIONISM!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:44 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Wasn’t there a big to do few years back about the Starbucks cups saying Merry Christmas on them ? Wasn’t that sort of the start of that people are offended by saying it meme?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:50 am 
Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Wasn’t there a big to do few years back about the Starbucks cups saying Merry Christmas on them ? Wasn’t that sort of the start of that people are offended by saying it meme?

I'm not sure. Maybe the "big deal" was Hannity or someone whining about Starbucks taking Merry Christmas off the cups. Whatever, like I said, I don't care. But if someone wishes you a Merry Christmas and you refuse to accept it because you're a Muslim or a Jew or an atheist, you're the asshole, not the guy who said Merry Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:53 am 

DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
At this point, if these trends continue don't t they have to mix up the pairings and reboot the shows? Maybe JLN or CH can chime in on this but after listeners stop listening to a show what are the odds they come back if the show changes its tone? So let's say that B&G eliminate all their SJW talk and mainly stick to sports, would that be enough to boost their ratings? Personally, I'll never give them another chance unless I hear from this forum that they have completely changed their format and that it is worth a listen. Regardless, this has been fun to follow their sinking ship!

You post all the time about them.

Which means what?
"I'll never give them another chance" is weird coming from a guy that literally posts about things said on the show now.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:57 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Good luck with that.

Bernstein is the best person at the Score still. He needs an actual producer and this may be a wake up call to program to your audience and stop with so much national NBA talk.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:58 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

So? I'm sure you don't think saying "Merry Christmas" is a bad thing. But it has been made into something one must tiptoe around.

Like this shit:

Hey! Shana Tova to all my Jewish friends and to the 8 million non-Jews on planet earth, FUCK ZIONISM!

I posted that because that's probably what Zepac was reacting to. Showing how ridiculous it was to even tweet that.

No, it has not been made something to tiptoe around. Like you posted, you say Merry Christmas and so do I.

But the #fakeoutrage movement led by Bill O'Reilly made it into something it wasn't.

There was an actual TV ad thanking Trump for leading this movement. WE BEAT THE LIBTARDS !!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:06 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Good luck with that.

Bernstein is the best person at the Score still. He needs an actual producer and this may be a wake up call to program to your audience and stop with so much national NBA talk.

:lol: yeah it’s the producers fault Bernstein wants to talk national NBA.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:11 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Like this shit:

I posted that because that's probably what Zepac was reacting to. Showing how ridiculous it was to even tweet that.

No, it has not been made something to tiptoe around. Like you posted, you say Merry Christmas and so do I.

But the #fakeoutrage movement led by Bill O'Reilly made it into something it wasn't.

There was an actual TV ad thanking Trump for leading this movement. WE BEAT THE LIBTARDS !!!!

Well, if there is a drought and it rains you know Trump is going to take credit. That's a different discussion.

I wouldn't say there is a "War on Christmas", but I do think that in an effort to be "inclusive" many do tiptoe around it. "Happy Holidays" is a paean to "multiculturalism" at the expense of what is arguably the most important Christian/American holiday.

If someone says "Eid Mubarak" to you the proper response is not "Happy Holidays". Holidays (Holy Days) have names- Christmas, Eid, etc. Are we pretending something else is being celebrated or that a relatively insignificant holiday like Hannukah is the equal of Christmas?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:12 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Like this shit:

I was looking at the replies and there are several from a user named Jody McLaughlin who says she is an atheist but her avatar is of a woman in an American flag hijab and the main image on her page is the symbol for Islam. Islam is a religion, so...there seems to be a mixed message there.

Regarding the "War on Christmas", I remember there being a big hubub because many stores had stopped using the word "Christmas" in their promotional materials.

snopes.com wrote:
However, observation of Target’s in-store, web, and printed promotional materials indicated that the discount chain was among the many retailers (in the U.S., at least) who began the 2005 holiday season by downplaying or eschewing use of the word “Christmas” in favor of the less-specific word “Holiday.”

We didn’t find any signage in our local Target that used the word “Christmas.” All the promotional signs we saw carried the chain’s non-specific holiday slogans, such as “Savings for the Season” or “Gather Round” (even though the text of the latter was always printed in the traditional green-and-red colors of Christmas). Even many of the shelf tags identifying Christmas-specific products employed the phrase “Traditional Holiday” rather than “Christmas” — thus Christmas stockings were identified as “Traditional holiday stockings” (as if there were some other traditional wintertime holiday celebrations that involved the use of stockings) and Christmas tree ornaments were described as “Traditional holiday ornaments.”

(We do note that in many cases, the names by which merchandise is identified are supplied by the supplier, not the retailer. We saw boxes of decorative reindeer lawn figures which the manufacturer had designated on the packaging as “Holiday Reindeer,” and we also noticed many artificial Christmas trees came in supplier-produced cartons which identified them only as “Pine trees” or “Fir trees,” not “Christmas trees.”)

Although Target’s web site certainly offered Christmas-related merchandise, we found hardly any use of the word “Christmas” itself on any non-product pages — only sections with titles such as “All Things Holiday,” “Holiday Catalogs,” “Holiday Shipping Dates,” and “Holiday Recipes.”
Target

Even Target’s Holiday Shipping Dates link presents customers with a chart that informs them about lead times needed to ensure gift delivery in time for “the 25th” rather than “Christmas”:

Target

(We do note that this year a confluence of several holidays occurs in late December: Hanukkah begins on Christmas Day and ends just after New Year’s Day, and Kwanzaa takes place during that same period.)

Likewise, the Target circulars we received with our Sunday newspapers have offered shoppers “lowest holiday prices” and invited shoppers to “Indulge your holiday guests,” “Spread some cheer, treetop to tabletop,” and “Bring out the beauty of the holiday” (even on pages advertising Christmas decorations), but the word “Christmas” itself didn’t appear.

During the second week of December 2005, however, Target responded to public pressure and began putting the word “Christmas” back into their promotional material, as the Los Angeles Times noted on December 9:

Target, too, started the season with a generic marketing theme. It pushed holiday plates, holiday leggings, holiday ornaments, holiday trees — with nary a mention of Christmas. Then, more than 500,000 shoppers signed an online pledge to boycott the chain. This week, Target promised to bring more Christmas into its stores as Dec. 25 approaches.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:14 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
The show was proud of how it didn't really have show meetings. It worked for Dan and Terry because I think Terry cared very little for the current NBA. Bernstein and Goff would probably talk Thunder basketball all show if they could.

You need a voice to guide programming that isn't on air.

Bernstein is very talented. He can either become North and stubbornly work his way out of his job or adjust. I think he is smart enough to adjust.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:18 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
The show was proud of how it didn't really have show meetings. It worked for Dan and Terry because I think Terry cared very little for the current NBA. Bernstein and Goff would probably talk Thunder basketball all show if they could.

You need a voice to guide programming that isn't on air.

Bernstein is very talented. He can either become North and stubbornly work his way out of his job or adjust. I think he is smart enough to adjust.

he's pretty entrenched on very. important. radio. being the future of sports radio.... so you think he'll just do a 180 and go back to playing gay sex sound drops and taking advantage of mentally challenged senior citizens?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:21 am 
Site Admin

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't really think smarts has much to do with it. Ego is a powerful thing. I consider Mac a pretty smart motherfucker. He isn't selling cars instead of rolling out of bed for $300,000 because he's a dummy.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:25 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Heisenberg wrote:

Like this shit:

Well, if there is a drought and it rains you know Trump is going to take credit. That's a different discussion.

I wouldn't say there is a "War on Christmas", but I do think that in an effort to be "inclusive" many do tiptoe around it. "Happy Holidays" is a paean to "multiculturalism" at the expense of what is arguably the most important Christian/American holiday.

If someone says "Eid Mubarak" to you the proper response is not "Happy Holidays". Holidays (Holy Days) have names- Christmas, Eid, etc. Are we pretending something else is being celebrated or that a relatively insignificant holiday like Hannukah is the equal of Christmas?

No one has ever stopped me from saying "Merry Christmas". Which is what the original conversation was all about. If someone wants to find a way to uncover a ficticious "War on Christmas", they will do it. I don't give a shit what NDT thinks about Merry Christmas just like I don't give a shit what DJT thinks about Merry Christmas.

And what about that Bing Crosby song "Happy Holidays"? Why the hell are they still playing that?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:28 am 

billypootons wrote:
he's pretty entrenched on very. important. radio. being the future of sports radio.... so you think he'll just do a 180 and go back to playing gay sex sound drops and taking advantage of mentally challenged senior citizens?
Society has made those types of things now unacceptable on public airwaves so no he won't go back to that. I think he'll get a wake up call that local sports radio should be 80% about local teams and then the rest about big events(Super Bowl, March Madness, NBA playoffs, MLB playoffs). You can throw a segment in about social issues if you want but it can't dominate the show ever.

Also, bring back the standard segments of Friday Fung, WYC(even though it sucked a lot), and bring back High Noon.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:30 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
No one has ever stopped me from saying "Merry Christmas". Which is what the original conversation was all about. If someone wants to find a way to uncover a ficticious "War on Christmas", they will do it. I don't give a shit what NDT thinks about Merry Christmas just like I don't give a shit what DJT thinks about Merry Christmas.

And what about that Bing Crosby song "Happy Holidays"? Why the hell are they still playing that?

The original conversation was about that Dziepak goof being unable to simply accept the wishes of a Merry Christmas without getting snarky and political about it.

But as the snopes that Tad posted shows, for some reason corporations have gotten queasy about using the word Christmas.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:32 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I don't really think smarts has much to do with it. Ego is a powerful thing. I consider Mac a pretty smart motherfucker. He isn't selling cars instead of rolling out of bed for $300,000 because he's a dummy.
He got bored with sports radio, made a poor career move to try and fix it, and then ran out of options besides returning to middays with Spiegel and even that seemingly dried up.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:48 am 

I think the big move to make is Bernstein and Parkins in the afternoon. Goff returns to middays but I wouldn't pair him with Spiegel again. Ironically, that would be a good spot for Mac again but who knows what the deal is there and if Mac will just get bored again or not work out with Goff. Maybe another outsider from Omaha that is already better than Bernstein and fits in Chicago and no one knows who he is like Ogie says exists.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 8:56 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

The original conversation was about that Dziepak goof being unable to simply accept the wishes of a Merry Christmas without getting snarky and political about it.

But as the snopes that Tad posted shows, for some reason corporations have gotten queasy about using the word Christmas.

No, Dziepak's comment was "I'm glad it's finally OK to say Merry Christmas again." It had nothing to do with accepting Merry Christmas wishes. It was obviously a direct comment on Trump's stupid tweet.

Tad's post was from 12 years ago.

Target prohibited store employees from using the phrase “Merry Christmas” with customers: False.
Target eschewed use of the word “Christmas” in its promotional material at the start of the 2005 holiday season: True.
Target responded to public pressure during the second week of December 2005 and began using the word “Christmas” in its promotional material: True.

"During the second week of December 2005, however, Target responded to public pressure and began putting the word “Christmas” back into their promotional material, as the Los Angeles Times noted on December 9"

So that's that. I wouldn't even begin to notice if the word "Christmas" was used in a Target ad much less start a campaign to get it back in there.

Tell me this isn't ridiculous:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/201 ... 897640001/

Just in case you needed a scorecard for the so-called “War on Christmas,” one of the most powerful groups on the American religious right has ranked national retailers as either “naughty” or “nice.”

Aimed at helping shoppers “know which companies embrace Christmas and which water it down into a generic holiday,” the American Family Association says it reviewed the websites, media advertising and in-store signage to come up with its “2017 Naughty or Nice List.”

This group actually takes the time to see what companies are using "Christmas" up to their standards. Gotta keep that "War on Christmas" theme going !

The hilarious thing about this is retailers could give a shit about the actual holiday of Christmas. It's their time to make their money. But if they just use "Christmas", everything is OK.

#snowflakes

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:13 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Happy Holidays Matt!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think the big move to make is Bernstein and Parkins in the afternoon. Goff returns to middays but I wouldn't pair him with Spiegel again. Ironically, that would be a good spot for Mac again but who knows what the deal is there and if Mac will just get bored again or not work out with Goff. Maybe another outsider from Omaha that is already better than Bernstein and fits in Chicago and no one knows who he is like Ogie says exists.

I heard Dan solo this week for 45 maybe 50 minutes..it was good. Goff is insufferable, so is meatpants.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Peoria Matt wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Peoria Matt wrote:

No, Dziepak's comment was "I'm glad it's finally OK to say Merry Christmas again." It had nothing to do with accepting Merry Christmas wishes. It was obviously a direct comment on Trump's stupid tweet.

Tad's post was from 12 years ago.

Target prohibited store employees from using the phrase “Merry Christmas” with customers: False.
Target eschewed use of the word “Christmas” in its promotional material at the start of the 2005 holiday season: True.
Target responded to public pressure during the second week of December 2005 and began using the word “Christmas” in its promotional material: True.

"During the second week of December 2005, however, Target responded to public pressure and began putting the word “Christmas” back into their promotional material, as the Los Angeles Times noted on December 9"

So that's that. I wouldn't even begin to notice if the word "Christmas" was used in a Target ad much less start a campaign to get it back in there.

Tell me this isn't ridiculous:

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/201 ... 897640001/

Just in case you needed a scorecard for the so-called “War on Christmas,” one of the most powerful groups on the American religious right has ranked national retailers as either “naughty” or “nice.”

Aimed at helping shoppers “know which companies embrace Christmas and which water it down into a generic holiday,” the American Family Association says it reviewed the websites, media advertising and in-store signage to come up with its “2017 Naughty or Nice List.”

This group actually takes the time to see what companies are using "Christmas" up to their standards. Gotta keep that "War on Christmas" theme going !

The hilarious thing about this is retailers could give a shit about the actual holiday of Christmas. It's their time to make their money. But if they just use "Christmas", everything is OK.

#snowflakes

Like I said, I don't really believe there is a "War on Christmas". And I agree that retailers are going to use whatever terminology they believe will bring in the most cash. They're timid. They are trying not to offend anyone.

But I would say that there are plenty of people who feel they can't simply say Merry Christmas without a bunch of qualifiers for those who aren't celebrating it. The actual holiday being celebrated IS Christmas. That's a fact. It's not offensive not to wish someone who doesn't celebrate Christmas a "Happy Monday". They probably don't care anyway.

Regardless, PM, have a Happy Thursday.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:19 am 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Happy Holidays Matt!

:lol:

Eid Mubarak to you and yours !

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 16  Next