It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:28 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:53 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Theyll just ride it out until the Cubs prop them back up. One thing though, as the guy who stewarded probably the greatest collection of on air talent at one station this city has ever seen, DeCastro won't fuck around too long before kicking no talent hack diversity hire " talents" like Goff and Dicaro ( for as much as she impacts ratings which is nil) before kicking them to the curb with Mitch .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:01 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Interesting that M&H and Grobber, who bring the least social consciousness to the radio, have the biggest audiences. It's almost as if this is niche shit that people don't listen to AM radio for.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Interesting that M&H and Grobber, who bring the least social consciousness to the radio, have the biggest audiences. It's almost as if this is niche shit that people don't listen to AM radio for.

Yeah but they aint moving souls.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:08 pm 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
At this point, if these trends continue don't t they have to mix up the pairings and reboot the shows? Maybe JLN or CH can chime in on this but after listeners stop listening to a show what are the odds they come back if the show changes its tone? So let's say that B&G eliminate all their SJW talk and mainly stick to sports, would that be enough to boost their ratings? Personally, I'll never give them another chance unless I hear from this forum that they have completely changed their format and that it is worth a listen. Regardless, this has been fun to follow their sinking ship!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
DAC wrote:
At this point, if these trends continue don't t they have to mix up the pairings and reboot the shows? Maybe JLN or CH can chime in on this but after listeners stop listening to a show what are the odds they come back if the show changes its tone? So let's say that B&G eliminate all their SJW talk and mainly stick to sports, would that be enough to boost their ratings? Personally, I'll never give them another chance unless I hear from this forum that they have completely changed their format and that it is worth a listen. Regardless, this has been fun to follow their sinking ship!

No, not interested in national basketball talk every day. Goff is pretty limited, and you can not fix the talking over people thing. Think it is time for new combinations.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:20 pm 

Cashman wrote:
DAC wrote:

No, not interested in national basketball talk every day. Goff is pretty limited, and you can not fix the talking over people thing. Think it is time for new combinations.

I agree. IMO Goff is not full time, prime time host material but I was just wondering in theory if it would work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:23 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
Still the #1 sports talk station in Chicago!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Goff and Spiegel need to hit the bricks. Jules obviously has to go but her pity hours don't really count for actually working as on air talent. Bernstein should as well but he will get a pass for his work put in at the station. He has to be paired with a big sweaty meatball though. I vote Dempster. They got a guy in Milwaukee that is from Chicago and is a Cubs, Bears, Bulls fan who drives the afternoon show. Pair him with Parkins and grab a 3rd wheel if need be and give them the afternoon drive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 pm 

DAC wrote:

You post all the time about them.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:26 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Peoria Matt wrote:
Mully and Hanley keeping it afloat.

Have been for a while now.

DeCastro was the guy who refused to bid on Cubs broadcast rights leaving Rod Zimmerman to bid against himself. Now he is stuck with starting each New Year at least $6M in the red.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:28 pm 

DAC wrote:
Cashman wrote:
DAC wrote:

I agree. IMO Goff is not full time, prime time host material but I was just wondering in theory if it would work.

I think in theory if the hosts were told "Talk about SJW", and they dropped that, the answer is yes. The problem is, they believe this crap. So, do I really wanna listen to MSNBC radio on a sports radio station? Not really.

Site Admin

badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Yeah but they aint moving souls.

:lol:

And network radio overnight would pay off more than Les would.

Bernstein & Goff (and Tannehill) is just a bad pairing. It seems made to accommodate Dan's comfort more than anything. He works with people he knows doing stuff he knows and is mentally checking out the way Terry did. It's all become so rote. Not that I blame him -- he's been at this for 18 years and isn't about to quit his well-paying job to go sell vitamins.

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
There are no more combinations left to try.
They have no young talent to bring up. Anyone that had a slight chance to host bolted.
Heads will be rolling sooner than later.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:31 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Goff and Spiegel need to hit the bricks. Jules obviously has to go but her pity hours don't really count for actually working as on air talent. Bernstein should as well but he will get a pass for his work put in at the station. He has to be paired with a big sweaty meatball though. I vote Dempster. They got a guy in Milwaukee that is from Chicago and is a Cubs, Bears, Bulls fan who drives the afternoon show. Pair him with Parkins and grab a 3rd wheel if need be and give them the afternoon drive.

Mitch missed an opportunity to overhaul the schedule with Terry's retirement. But the framework of the schedule is the same as it's been since Mac came back:

5-9 Mully and Hanley, 9-1 a Matt Spiegel show, 1-1:30 transition which was intended for Mac and Terry but continues unabated for some reason, 1:30-6 a Dan Bernstein show

Why does it have to be this way?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:32 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:

You post all the time about them.

Which means what?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Entercom is going to want to cut costs, and Dan Bernstein should be the 1st casualty. He is high priced and not returning a fraction of what he should for the amount he is being paid.

They can bring in a 30 year old kid from a mid sized market (preferably one who was Chicago ranged like Parkins) and do better.

Last edited by Ogie Oglethorpe on Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm 

Polecat666 wrote:
There are no more combinations left to try.
They have no young talent to bring up. Anyone that had a slight chance to host bolted.
Heads will be rolling sooner than later.

The problem is Goff. A Bernstein/Parkins or Bernstein/Rozner reboot with them making a conscious effort to not talk SJW would work.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:35 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Entercom is going to want to cut costs, and Dan Bernstein should be the 1st casualty. He is high priced and not returning a fraction of what he should for the amount he is being paid.

You sound like a real radio executive.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

You sound like a real radio executive.

Not radio, but I know how these things work. Their revenue side of the balance sheet is not too pretty with competition from online, Sirius/XM, podcasts, etc. Every new car has these features or a jack to play them from your phone.

The only improvements that can be made are on the expense side. The Cubs deal is something they are stuck with so you look at high priced, underperforming talent. M&H are high priced, but they carry their weight and make a killing for the station. Bernstein is also high priced, but he doesn't win his time slot since Terry retired. There's your #1 target to cut and boost profitability. Mitch is probably also done as he has overseen the sinking of the ratings and hasn't given proper direction to his on air staff. The national NBA show is proof of this.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:40 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

They can bring in a 30 year old kid from a mid sized market (preferably one who was Chicago ranged like Parkins) and do better.

Dan is smarter than Mac and North, he will take a pay cut from 220k to 160k ..he knows this gig is gravy and it's the best he's gonna do.

Also, Goff should probably spend less money on Range Rovers and put more money aside for a rainy day as he may need that soon. He should take lessons from his pal Larry, who as much as I make fun of, has always been wiser than him in such matters. Why else do you think he tries to work 3 jobs? He knows media is a grind and he needs to keep his options open.

They're not going to eat Bernstein's contract and give up what I can only assume is a shit-ton of David Hochberg money.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:41 pm 

312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Dan is smarter than Mac and North, he will take a pay cut from 220k to 160k ..he knows this gig is gravy and it's the best he's gonna do.

That is probably what it will take for him to stick around.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:44 pm 

312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Thought he was at like 500k

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

Here's how ya fix this shit show.

Fire Goff,Dicaro,Larry, Meatpants.

5-9 - Mully n Hanley
9-1- Parkins n Herron
2-6- Bernstein and Jay Hood

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:45 pm 

Cashman wrote:
312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Thought he was at like 500k

Nope

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:48 pm 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Also, Goff should probably spend less money on Range Rovers and put more money aside for a rainy day as he may need that soon. He should take lessons from his pal Larry, who as much as I make fun of, has always been wiser than him in such matters. Why else do you think he tries to work 3 jobs? He knows media is a grind and he needs to keep his options open.

Larry works 3 jobs because he's a part timer, 55k from the score and one year deals every year..Id be stunned if Larry gets 250 hours a year on his slot.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:54 pm 

312player wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Larry works 3 jobs because he's a part timer, 55k from the score and one year deals every year..Id be stunned if Larry gets 250 hours a year on his slot.

But he has WhiteSox season tickets!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:03 pm 

While we're talking about this book, iHeart's gotta pull the plug on their country station. They beat US99 once or twice and now they're almost getting tripled up. I predict a challenger to KQX soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 16  Next