It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:09 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:20 am 

pizza_Place: A few...
And a blessed Thursday to you, JORR.

Thoughts and prayers headed your way !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:21 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
billypootons wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
:lol: yeah it’s the producers fault Bernstein wants to talk national NBA.
The show was proud of how it didn't really have show meetings. It worked for Dan and Terry because I think Terry cared very little for the current NBA. Bernstein and Goff would probably talk Thunder basketball all show if they could.

You need a voice to guide programming that isn't on air.

Bernstein is very talented. He can either become North and stubbornly work his way out of his job or adjust. I think he is smart enough to adjust.

he's pretty entrenched on very. important. radio. being the future of sports radio.... so you think he'll just do a 180 and go back to playing gay sex sound drops and taking advantage of mentally challenged senior citizens?

we can only hope...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think the big move to make is Bernstein and Parkins in the afternoon. Goff returns to middays but I wouldn't pair him with Spiegel again. Ironically, that would be a good spot for Mac again but who knows what the deal is there and if Mac will just get bored again or not work out with Goff. Maybe another outsider from Omaha that is already better than Bernstein and fits in Chicago and no one knows who he is like Ogie says exists.

Parkins and Bernstein would still have the potential to be a SJW-fest. Parkins keeps that side of him in check right now, with Spiegel as the only guy I've heard at the station say something akin to "stick to sports".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:43 am 

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
I think the big move to make is Bernstein and Parkins in the afternoon. Goff returns to middays but I wouldn't pair him with Spiegel again. Ironically, that would be a good spot for Mac again but who knows what the deal is there and if Mac will just get bored again or not work out with Goff. Maybe another outsider from Omaha that is already better than Bernstein and fits in Chicago and no one knows who he is like Ogie says exists.

Parkins and Bernstein would still have the potential to be a SJW-fest. Parkins keeps that side of him in check right now, with Spiegel as the only guy I've heard at the station say something akin to "stick to sports".

Well, anyone could. Out of town hero Parkins already has that reputation I see.

If these ratings are truly a problem then it's time to adjust or get fired. Standing up for abused women in Hollywood won't be all that appealing if you are worried about your job.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:49 am 

pizza_Place: Generic Pizza Store
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Well, anyone could. Out of town hero Parkins already has that reputation I see.

If these ratings are truly a problem then it's time to adjust or get fired. Standing up for abused women in Hollywood won't be all that appealing if you are worried about your job.

nice to see you flip so quickly from being content with a B&G tie with afternoon WMVP.... to now wanting to completely redo WSCR's lineup including B&G... w

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:50 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
DAC wrote:
At this point, if these trends continue don't t they have to mix up the pairings and reboot the shows? Maybe JLN or CH can chime in on this but after listeners stop listening to a show what are the odds they come back if the show changes its tone? So let's say that B&G eliminate all their SJW talk and mainly stick to sports, would that be enough to boost their ratings? Personally, I'll never give them another chance unless I hear from this forum that they have completely changed their format and that it is worth a listen. Regardless, this has been fun to follow their sinking ship!

You post all the time about them.

Which means what?
"I'll never give them another chance" is weird coming from a guy that literally posts about things said on the show now.

:lol: :lol: I literally don't post about what is said about their show since I don't listen. Give it up.

Last edited by DAC on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:51 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
The show was proud of how it didn't really have show meetings. It worked for Dan and Terry because I think Terry cared very little for the current NBA. Bernstein and Goff would probably talk Thunder basketball all show if they could.

Bernstein is very talented. He can either become North and stubbornly work his way out of his job or adjust. I think he is smart enough to adjust.

I agree with all this. We know what great radio Dan is capable of doing when he wants to. But I'm not sure he wants to: he's old and bored. He might be content to sit back and "play the hits" rather than try to be incisive or hilarious or any of that/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I agree with all this. We know what great radio Dan is capable of doing when he wants to. But I'm not sure he wants to: he's old and bored. He might be content to sit back and "play the hits" rather than try to be incisive or hilarious or any of that/

There was a time when I thought the same of Steve Dahl. I never would’ve thought he would become the boring , dull broadcaster he is today based on his first 10-15 years here.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:57 am 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Mully & Hanley! My guys! Nothing better than taking your morning deuce and shower while listening to 5 at 5.

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

He'll adjust because there is no where else to go to fund his lifestyle.

I have no idea why Mitch Rosen hasn't been fired years ago. What exactly does he do other than ran around frantically scared of every on-air host at the Score?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 9:59 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

I agree with BR on this one. Parkins and Bernstein have the potential to be an excellent show BUT they have to be told to stop sharing their liberal viewpoints. Parkins has had his dream job for less than a year and Bernstein wants to keep his cushy gig with his life entrenched in Chicago. If those guys are specifically told to stop sharing their polarizing thoughts, does anyone think they are not going to comply? For the record, I agree with their views but if I were in their position I would realize that I need the 815, Trump-supporting dopes for ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:00 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Entercom is going to want to cut costs, and Dan Bernstein should be the 1st casualty. He is high priced and not returning a fraction of what he should for the amount he is being paid.

They can bring in a 30 year old kid from a mid sized market (preferably one who was Chicago ranged like Parkins) and do better.
Good luck with that.

Bernstein is the best person at the Score still. He needs an actual producer and this may be a wake up call to program to your audience and stop with so much national NBA talk.

Parkins has clearly surpassed Bernstein as the best host on the station. It's not really close.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:02 am 

billypootons wrote:
nice to see you flip so quickly from being content with a B&G tie with afternoon WMVP.... to now wanting to completely redo WSCR's lineup including B&G... w
I wasn't content with anything. My point all along was celebrate them losing when they actually lose. If it's happened now then go nuts.

I've made many clear complaints about the content of B&G which cause me not to listen as much as I otherwise would. The problem is that many people on here think you love the show if you aren't complaining constantly about it while also claiming not to listen or to have accidentally listened.

My list of problems with the show:
1) Too much national sports talk, almost always the NBA.
2) Got rid of weekly segments, that while not always great, were worth listening to like WYC and Friday Fung.
3) I don't care if you talk about off the field issues or even issues outside of sports. Just don't dominate a whole day, or weeks, or months, or years with the same thing.
4) Start producing you show to make a good show rather than the show that is what you want to talk about. If I was in radio, I'd love to talk Purdue sports for 4 hours a day. I would have to know my audience though and realize that even in Indiana that probably wouldn't go over well.

All of these problems can be fixed if they want.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 am 

DAC wrote:
I agree with BR on this one. Parkins and Bernstein have the potential to be an excellent show BUT they have to be told to stop sharing their liberal viewpoints. Parkins has had his dream job for less than a year and Bernstein wants to keep his cushy gig with his life entrenched in Chicago. If those guys are specifically told to stop sharing their polarizing thoughts, does anyone think they are not going to comply? For the record, I agree with their views but if I were in their position I would realize that I need the 815, Trump-supporting dopes for ratings.

Their thoughts aren't polarizing. Though, their presentation and delivery certainly are. No one wants to be condescended upon for 5 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:05 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I would say that there are plenty of people who feel they can't simply say Merry Christmas without a bunch of qualifiers for those who aren't celebrating it.

Who are these people you are referring to and how do they function in society? It's not that hard to not have an anxiety attack when wishing somebody a merry christmas.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:06 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
badrogue17 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

There was a time when I thought the same of Steve Dahl. I never would’ve thought he would become the boring , dull broadcaster he is today based on his first 10-15 years here.

Yeah, most of these guys have a definite shelf life. Although a comforting familiar voice like Wally Phillips can last forever. Dahl still has his diehard fans but he's narrowcasting. He's now a niche product.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:07 am 

Would you agree that Goff has brought the show down Rick? That it’s not a smooth or interesting listen and a bad pairing altogether?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Start producing you show to make a good show rather than the show that is what you want to talk about. If I was in radio, I'd love to talk Purdue sports for 4 hours a day. I would have to know my audience though and realize that even in Indiana that probably wouldn't go over well.

I'm really surprised this didn't start happening when Dan poached Shepkowski from middays. Shep was a Mac guy, and that crew always emphasized show prep waaaaay more than Drinky and Jason ever did. But somehow Bernstein & Goff has even less guidance than Boers & Bernstein had. This isn't a new problem, Dan was always prone to obsessing over the zone defenses in the Houston Rockets game the night before, it just feels like there have been more bad hours than good hours, more bad days than good days.

Last edited by Curious Hair on Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:09 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
DAC wrote:

Their thoughts aren't polarizing. Though, their presentation and delivery certainly are. No one wants to be condescended upon for 5 hours.

Parkins is pretty much the opposite of condescending. Tells you his thoughts but pretty much never plays it as "I'm smarter/better/more evolved than you"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:10 am 

Kirkwood wrote:
DAC wrote:

In this day and age, any political thought is polarizing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:11 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
But I would say that there are plenty of people who feel they can't simply say Merry Christmas without a bunch of qualifiers for those who aren't celebrating it.

Who are these people you are referring to and how do they function in society? It's not that hard to not have an anxiety attack when wishing somebody a merry christmas.

Who are they? I don't know. People like NDT I guess. My cousin who is around your age did the same thing. I suppose they just don't want to leave anyone out. I think they come from a good place but they'll really haven't thought it through. If you're not celebrating you don't need the wishes. It would be like saying, "Happy birthday, FavreFan. And a happy day to everyone who isn't celebrating a birthday too." Making meaningless your special day.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:13 am 

If you read "Happy Holidays" as "Merry Christmas" + "Happy New Year" you can avoid a lot of unnecessary agitation.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:14 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

Who are they? I don't know. People like NDT I guess. My cousin who is around your age did the same thing. I suppose they just don't want to leave anyone out. I think they come from a good place but they'll really haven't thought it through. If you're not celebrating you don't need the wishes. It would be like saying, "Happy birthday, FavreFan. And a happy day to everyone who isn't celebrating a birthday too." Making meaningless your special day.

I agree with that point.

My point is if you feel uncomfortable wishing someone a Merry Christmas, that's a you problem, not a society problem. Like I said, I don't understand how some people function if they are going to get anxiety over something as trivial as that.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:16 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
If you read "Happy Holidays" as "Merry Christmas" + "Happy New Year" you can avoid a lot of unnecessary agitation.

:lol:

This shit is so ridiculous. If someone is getting agitated over holiday greetings then they need to see a therapist immediately.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Admin

FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
FavreFan wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:

I agree with that point.

My point is if you feel uncomfortable wishing someone a Merry Christmas, that's a you problem, not a society problem. Like I said, I don't understand how some people function if they are going to get anxiety over something as trivial as that.

Of course, I agree.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:19 am 

FavreFan wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol:

This shit is so ridiculous. If someone is getting agitated over holiday greetings then they need to see a therapist immediately.

MANY get upset when they are greeted with "Happy Holidays". It's bizarre.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:19 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Would you agree that Goff has brought the show down Rick? That it’s not a smooth or interesting listen and a bad pairing altogether?
I like Goff as a host. I'm not enthusiastic about the show with Bernstein.

To me, the #1 issue is just content. I tried to listen but I just don't care much about Paul George and Westbrook in November. In the playoffs I could handle it if it was a nationally relevant storyline. I've told others before that maybe this just isn't for you, but I get the feeling sometimes that this show isn't for me either and I never got that with Boers. Now, maybe Goff and Bernstein are too similar and therefore you get a show that is intentionally unplanned exploring the NBA in depth all the time whereas Terry couldn't even name an NBA coach besides Gregg Popovich and Thibs.

However, the funny thing is that the big NBA fans on this board are all pretty silent about this show too, which means they likely aren't tuning in either. So, I'm not sure who they are winning over with this being a major focus of the show.

So, to answer your question, I think the show isn't working as it is being ran, and Goff takes a good portion of the blame there. I think they desperately need a producer who could help them shape the content of the show to match the audience. However, since Goff is a big part of the "We don't even have show meetings!" culture of the show from way back when then yes Goff gets a lot of the blame.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:24 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I like Goff as a host. I'm not enthusiastic about the show with Bernstein.

To me, the #1 issue is just content. I tried to listen but I just don't care much about Paul George and Westbrook in November. In the playoffs I could handle it if it was a nationally relevant storyline. I've told others before that maybe this just isn't for you, but I get the feeling sometimes that this show isn't for me either and I never got that with Boers. Now, maybe Goff and Bernstein are too similar and therefore you get a show that is intentionally unplanned exploring the NBA in depth all the time whereas Terry couldn't even name an NBA coach besides Gregg Popovich and Thibs.

However, the funny thing is that the big NBA fans on this board are all pretty silent about this show too, which means they likely aren't tuning in either. So, I'm not sure who they are winning over with this being a major focus of the show.

So, to answer your question, I think the show isn't working as it is being ran, and Goff takes a good portion of the blame there. I think they desperately need a producer who could help them shape the content of the show to match the audience. However, since Goff is a big part of the "We don't even have show meetings!" culture of the show from way back when then yes Goff gets a lot of the blame.

I don't listen to the show very much. Parkins and Spiegel have replaced it as my daily local radio listening.

Goff knows basketball and the NBA and is a good listen when he avoids the LeBron dick sucking and avoids the "Let me hint at all these behind the scenes storylines I know about but can't talk about" game. When he's just talking about the games I enjoy it.

From what I remember over the last 10-15 years, Bernstein knows basketball but doesn't know almost anything about the NBA. He's routinely weeks or even months behind the general basketball community when it comes to what's happening, who's good, etc. I'd almost rather hear Mac talk about the NBA. Either way I won't come out any more informed, and I'll at least be more entertained by Mac's thoughts. Bernstein is at his worst when he's trying to play "NBA expert"

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:25 am 

DAC wrote:
In this day and age, any political thought is polarizing.

Only for snowflakes.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:27 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Like I said about the Julie/Maggie show, this show feels like it's made for people on Twitter. There's a big Twitter "elite," which mostly overlaps with Deadspin commenters, who spend a lot of their time discussing heavy social issues and the NBA (the wokest league). But I don't think there are enough of them in Chicago for the Score to beat WBEZ in the ratings.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:30 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

Like I said about the Julie/Maggie show, this show feels like it's made for people on Twitter. There's a big Twitter "elite," which mostly overlaps with Deadspin commenters, who spend a lot of their time discussing heavy social issues and the NBA (the wokest league). But I don't think there are enough of them in Chicago for the Score to beat WBEZ in the ratings.

From what I've seen on Twitter, baseball writers are neck and neck with basketball writers when it comes to woke virtue signalling. I don't see it as much from football writers and don't follow any hockey reporters/writers,

To rock my soul

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 476 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 16  Next