It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: SCORE Revenue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Tipped off by a BRogue post in the B&B section, I found this article:

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/88 ... r-crm-more

Quote:
Wednesday morning, BIA/Kelsey -- the independent market researcher and advisory firm for media and technology companies, specializing in the local advertising business for those companies -- released information on the top national billing stations for 2016, as well as shared with CRM the top earning stations in the Chicago market. According to these newly released numbers from last year, the winner in Chicago radio once again was WBBM-AM/Newsradio 780 & 105.9 (simulcast on WCFS-FM), as they were able to earn approximately $45 million in advertising revenue -- up from 2015's $43.8 million. WBBM-AM was also ranked as #5 nationally, up from #6 the year before. WTMX-FM/101.9 The Mix was once again the #2 billing station in Chicago. Its 2016 revenue was $32.5 million -- up only slightly from $31.9 million the year before. WGN-AM remains in third place, billing $25.2 million in 2016 -- up from 2015's $24.5 million. That marks the first time in nearly a decade that WGN-AM's annual revenue rose year-over-year instead of shrank, even if it was only a modest rise. Fourth place was a tie between WSCR-AM/670 The Score and WVAZ-FM/V103, each with $24 million.

So, $24 million in billings in 2016, and they're paying $10 million a year to the Cubs for the rights to broadcast games. That leaves $14 million from which they have to pay talent and production salaries (including the pre-/post- and talent salaries for Cubs broadcasts), pay sales people, service equipment, benefits and taxes, etc.

Looks like they're turning a nice profit, but if the billings are as concentrated in Cubs baseball broadcasts as I would think, those 2-shares in the ratings will catch up with them when the Cubs move their IP elsewhere or cease to be amazing.

Post subject: Re: SCORE Revenue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
The Ricketts family is buying up media entities. I can see them buying an struggling station and putting the Cubs there.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:25 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

Quote:
Wednesday morning, BIA/Kelsey -- the independent market researcher and advisory firm for media and technology companies, specializing in the local advertising business for those companies -- released information on the top national billing stations for 2016, as well as shared with CRM the top earning stations in the Chicago market. According to these newly released numbers from last year, the winner in Chicago radio once again was WBBM-AM/Newsradio 780 & 105.9 (simulcast on WCFS-FM), as they were able to earn approximately $45 million in advertising revenue -- up from 2015's $43.8 million. WBBM-AM was also ranked as #5 nationally, up from #6 the year before. WTMX-FM/101.9 The Mix was once again the #2 billing station in Chicago. Its 2016 revenue was $32.5 million -- up only slightly from $31.9 million the year before. WGN-AM remains in third place, billing $25.2 million in 2016 -- up from 2015's $24.5 million. That marks the first time in nearly a decade that WGN-AM's annual revenue rose year-over-year instead of shrank, even if it was only a modest rise. Fourth place was a tie between WSCR-AM/670 The Score and WVAZ-FM/V103, each with $24 million.

So, $24 million in billings in 2016, and they're paying $10 million a year to the Cubs for the rights to broadcast games. That leaves $14 million from which they have to pay talent and production salaries (including the pre-/post- and talent salaries for Cubs broadcasts), pay sales people, service equipment, benefits and taxes, etc.

Looks like they're turning a nice profit, but if the billings are as concentrated in Cubs baseball broadcasts as I would think, those 2-shares in the ratings will catch up with them when the Cubs move their IP elsewhere or cease to be amazing.

I was reading on Larz that the thought was breaking even at best even with the 24M.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:27 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:

Quote:

I was reading on Larz that the thought was breaking even at best even with the 24M.

Which is why salaries are going down over there. Bernstein will have to take a pay cut if he wants to stay.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 6:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
pittmike wrote:

I guess it's about how you allocate all of it on paper, because the true profitability of the station and what it produces versus what it can reasonably bill is obfuscated by the presence of the other CBS stations in the cluster. So WBBM can "pay" for all of the office space of the cluster, and WSCR doesn't have that "expense", and so forth.

$14 million is still a lot of money to play with. Even if every weekday on-air talent represented $500K per year in total expenditures (salary, taxes, benefits) for the station, and each non-on-air person assigned to each show $150K, and we assume two individual support guys per show, that's $5 million a year in on-air weekday talent (M&H, S&P, B&G, Holmes, Grobber, Cubs Broadcast Duo), and $3.3 million a year in support staff.

That leaves roughly $5.7 million for office space, rent, sales people, and other regular business expenses. I don't know exactly how much it costs to blast 50,000 Watts into the air all-day, every day--and it is not insignificant--but I just don't see the rest of the revenue being burned through paying for secretaries and bulk coffee creamer.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:30 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
They did $2M more in revenue last year than they did in 2015.

They paid $10M for the Cubs. The numbers speak for themselves.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... story.html

Despite lower ratings and revenue, WGN has improved its balance sheet since losing the Cubs, according to WGN President Jimmy de Castro.

"We weren't profitable, and we're very profitable now," de Castro said.

In addition to the $10 million rights fees, The Score has to pay the play-by-play team of Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer, along with engineering, marketing and sales expenses

Rosen declined to comment on whether The Score was in the black with the broadcasts. Rod Zimmerman, the former market manager of CBS Radio Chicago who helped engineer the Cubs deal, was ousted in a management shake-up in January. Some industry sources point to the cost of the Cubs broadcast rights as leading to his exit, but Zimmerman stands by the deal as a winner for CBS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 6:46 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Seacrest wrote:

Despite lower ratings and revenue, WGN has improved its balance sheet since losing the Cubs, according to WGN President Jimmy de Castro.

In addition to the $10 million rights fees, The Score has to pay the play-by-play team of Pat Hughes and Ron Coomer, along with engineering, marketing and sales expenses

Rosen declined to comment on whether The Score was in the black with the broadcasts. Rod Zimmerman, the former market manager of CBS Radio Chicago who helped engineer the Cubs deal, was ousted in a management shake-up in January. Some industry sources point to the cost of the Cubs broadcast rights as leading to his exit, but Zimmerman stands by the deal as a winner for CBS.

That answers everything, the guy who was the architect for the cubs deal was fired, the next boob in charge refuses to say the station is in the black :lol:

Sports radio is a dying industry, even with cheap personal like Goff,Holmes,Grobstein the station can't cope. I'd be interested in to know how much that meathead Mitch Rosen makes.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:11 am 
Site Admin

312player wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

That answers everything, the guy who was the architect for the cubs deal was fired, the next boob in charge refuses to say the station is in the black :lol:

Sports radio is a dying industry, even with cheap personal like Goff,Holmes,Grobstein the station can't cope. I'd be interested in to know how much that meathead Mitch Rosen makes.

That sentence pretty much says it all.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
they are raking in the dough with all those millennials sitting around their radios listening to Len and the Coom-Dog.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:36 am 

White Sox fans called it!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:02 am 

So appropriate that Cub broadcasts will lead to a lower salary for Dan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:28 am 

Seacrest wrote:
312player wrote:
Seacrest wrote:

That sentence pretty much says it all.

All radio is dying.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:31 am 

So if I'm reading this right, adding the Cubs has resulted in a loss of $8 million from the bottom line?

Holy shit it's no wonder Zimmerman got canned.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:35 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
So if I'm reading this right, adding the Cubs has resulted in a loss of $8 million from the bottom line?

Holy shit it's no wonder Zimmerman got canned.

I think some around here (CH maybe?) as well as in media try to sell some fact of synergy makes this all ok. They will lose or break even on WSCR and make more via the other CBS stations in town and so on. Well I do not believe that for a second. Zimmerman was the boss of all CBS radio in Chicago and got shit canned after this deal. There was a reason for that.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:53 am 

It's ironic because Zimmerman was always known as a budget slasher. He never spent to make. The only way he knew how to increase profits was to cut expenses. Then he did this and it got him canned.

There are some funny stories about guys at the station negotiating with him.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:57 am 

good dolphin wrote:
It's ironic because Zimmerman was always known as a budget slasher. He never spent to make. The only way he knew how to increase profits was to cut expenses. Then he did this and it got him canned.

It's a logical theory that he may have been a Cubs fan and thus had serious blinders on while getting this deal done.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:00 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
good dolphin wrote:

It's a logical theory that he may have been a Cubs fan and thus had serious blinders on while getting this deal done.

Could be or he had some hard on to stomp WGN and WLS.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:04 am 

That's a deal that goes way above Zimmerman.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:46 am 
Site Admin

Hatchetman wrote:

No, it did not.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:50 am 

what was it, 5-year $10MM/per?

$50MM goes close to the top of the house of any company, more than likely the big cheese.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:53 am 

While big I do not think $50M is something that requires 20 sign offs in CBS. They have a net worth of 30.6 Billion.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:00 am 

I would say $50MM goes to the head of national radio operations and at least an OK from the CFO of CBS.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:36 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Seacrest wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No, it did not.

$50 Million is a lot...even for a huge corporation like CBS Radio. At the very least, the suits had an idea of what was going on.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:42 pm 
1000 CLUB

good dolphin wrote:
So appropriate that Cub broadcasts will lead to a lower salary for Dan

Good point. He was the one calling WGN 720 stupid for losing the Cubs. That his boss was REALLY SMART for getting them. But no profit from them. Probably not even breaking even.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:50 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Hatchetman wrote:
I would say $50MM goes to the head of national radio operations and at least an OK from the CFO of CBS.

CBS Radio once had a company-wide mandate to drop baseball play-by-play because they were unhappy with MLBAM. It cost them the Pirates on KDKA and the Cardinals on KMOX and was considered a lose-lose, especially in St. Louis, where KMOX lost its cornerstone property and no one could hear Cardinals games over the air like they used to. Maybe they considered it a lesson learned and tried not to intervene in such matters anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:00 pm 

wdelaney72 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No, it did not.

$50 Million is a lot...even for a huge corporation like CBS Radio. At the very least, the suits had an idea of what was going on.

Someone else may have signed off on it, but if this deal was Zimmerman's baby, then he was the one to take the fall for it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Joes Pizza
Zimmerman is a Cardinals fan.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Boni Vino
The only way the deal makes any sense is if WSCR projected that when the Cubs got good, they could increase billings by at least $10m per year. Maybe that happens in years 2-5, but I doubt it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:17 pm 
1000 CLUB

Jaw Breaker wrote:
The only way the deal makes any sense is if WSCR projected that when the Cubs got good, they could increase billings by at least $10m per year. Maybe that happens in years 2-5, but I doubt it.

Well, they were good in 2015 when WBBM had them. They won 100 games that year. So you would have thought the billing hike would have happened for the 2016 season. Obviously it didn't.

The numbers are the numbers. Even though the Cubs are popular. Most people are watching the games on TV or on their phones.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:24 pm 
Site Admin

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
wdelaney72 wrote:
Seacrest wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

No, it did not.

Someone else may have signed off on it, but if this deal was Zimmerman's baby, then he was the one to take the fall for it.

Which he did.

Bidding against himself to the tune of $4M per year extra didn't help his cause either.

And yes dolphin, the most ironic part of this is that Dan will have to take less on his next contract go around.

NOT REALLY THAT SMART OF GUY AFTER ALL.