It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 9:00 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 7:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Darkside wrote:
I just watched a jim shorts cavalcade of sports (for you) on YouTube.
That shit was great.

:cheers: :cheers:

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:28 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
good dolphin wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
Godfella wrote:
Meier's Eddie Schwartz imitation was golden. As soon as he started it I laughed and missed much of what he said. :lol:

Who was the WGN announcer with the lisp that they used to make fun of? It was before my time, but I've heard stories of it.

Cliff something... not sure? That was great as well.

"And now we join Bothoth Thircuth already in progreth..."

Cliff Mercer, thanks for getting the 1st name. Allowed me to remember the rest.

Cliff Pallet is what they called their imitation. I thought he was a WGN TV studio announcer

They used to work Tom Skilling pretty hard as well

I thought it was called Clifford Mansavage ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was Cliff Mansavage. He last made an appearance that day that Garry showed up at Dahl's remote from North Avenue Beach. It was magic, I tell ya.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:46 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Godfella wrote:
Meier's Eddie Schwartz imitation was golden. As soon as he started it I laughed and missed much of what he said. :lol:

So much better than when Matthews overdid it.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:15 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
Kev's Eddie S impression was the best. He over did it but when he started you couldn't tell the difference. Even Dahl/Meier admitted that he made their Ed Schwartz impression sound like shit.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:22 pm 
Site Admin

HawaiiYou wrote:
Kev's Eddie S impression was the best. He over did it but when he started you couldn't tell the difference. Even Dahl/Meier admitted that he made their Ed Schwartz impression sound like shit.

Meier's was way funnier. Ed Zeppelin was just dumb.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:29 pm 

I"ll never forget the story about Eddie slinking out of his apartment nude to pick up his Chinese Food. That and the stick he used to operate the board.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:34 pm 

who was Eddie's producer ? mitch rosen?

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:53 pm 

Here's his grave. Findagrave.com might be my favorite website.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 9:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
DannyB wrote:
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was Cliff Mansavage. He last made an appearance that day that Garry showed up at Dahl's remote from North Avenue Beach. It was magic, I tell ya.

I believe they called him "Cliff Palate" in the beginning, then changed to Mansavage.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
As a seventeen year old, I was painting my room one night and listening to The Loop with Eddie at night. Fumes got to me and I called in -- the topic was something about aldermen serving too many terms in a row. I lived in the suburbs and knew nothing about aldermen; told the screener that I agreed with Eddie. I'm on hold for three minutes, then on the air with Eddie and just tell him he is speaking the truth and that is just what this city needs. He keeps me on the air and goes off for another five minutes about it, I say Eddie that's exactly right. I swear I was on the air with him for fifteen minutes just being a yes man. It was kind of fun.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Yeah, Ed Zeppelin was pretty much the end, but Kevin's Ed was far and away the best.

I remember one show that was during a pretty bad snowstorm, and Kev did the whole show completely as Eddie in snowstorm news DEFCON mode :D . May have been Matthew's masterpiece. I wonder if that one is online somewhere...

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 10:10 pm 
Site Admin

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Yeah, Ed Zeppelin was pretty much the end, but Kevin's Ed was far and away the best.

I remember one show that was during a pretty bad snowstorm, and Kev did the whole show completely as Eddie in snowstorm news DEFCON mode :D . May have been Matthew's masterpiece. I wonder if that one is online somewhere...

That's the thing though. An Eddie Schwartz imitation is something that can't be carried for a whole show. Matthews abused a bit like SNL does. Plus, he didn't understand Eddie the way local Garry Meier did.

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 11:07 pm 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

Yes, this is on Youtube somewhere... it is great.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Minooka Meatball wrote:

AM1000 was arguably the greatest talk station in history. You'd think there would be airchecks out the ass on youtube.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:07 am 

Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

correct. i listened when Kev first did it and it was OMFG halarious not just to the listeners but the loop personalities. It was dead on. Dahl's was the worst. Funny how Ed joined am 1000 all hell broke loose.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:09 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:

AM1000 was arguably the greatest talk station in history. You'd think there would be airchecks out the ass on youtube.

I bought one of those Kev Head tshirts at some music store. Remember he had his image up on billboards too. He was huge back then. so was the loop. Now thinking back maybe it was the only media outlet anyone had for comedy.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:11 am 

Kevin Matthews is indirectly responsible for one of Bill Hicks's most famous, if not the most famous, moment, when some guy at a show did the Play Freebird bit and set off the "Hitler was an underachiever" rant. "Kevin Matthews, I know it's Kevin Matthews, what does that mean?"

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:46 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
I bought one of those Kev Head tshirts at some music store. Remember he had his image up on billboards too. He was huge back then. so was the loop. Now thinking back maybe it was the only media outlet anyone had for comedy.

The radio station had at least one store at North Pier back in the day. Hard to believe that in this day and age, but a radio station could sell so much swag they could open up a retail location. I know I bought a CD which had two cuts from everyone -- Stroud and Rockestra had Switching To Glide on it and "In The Lunchtime Hour", Dahl had a terrible song about Comsikey Park on it (When xyz came to town, he came to town), there was Ed Zepplin with I Could Eat Eggrolls Forever, Brandmeier had Talking Headlines on it... can't remember what else they had. I also bought a Kevin Matthews "Best Of" tape -- listened to it in college and my friend and I could basically recite the call he made to Stateville prison and the "chef" there with what they were feeding people. Matthews was talking to the guy as his alien voice (I don't remember what he was named)... "Apples... what am I, a horse?" It was the most entertaining radio has ever been in my lifetime.

http://www.cylist.com/List/405619809/va ... ck-listing

I forgot Buzz had a good one about coming from Miami in 1981.

This is the link to the Dahl song... as bad as I remember (hope he is healing up, but this song is no good.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8T0YDzAM2s

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 12:54 am 

Best song 1000 ever played:

You know that Jonny Wurster kid, the kid that delivers papers in the neighborhood? He's a fine kid. Some of the neighbors say he smokes crack, but I don't believe it. Anyway, for his tenth birthday, all he wanted was a burrow owl, kept bugging his old man, "DAAAAAD, get me a burrow owl! I'll never ask for anything else as long as I live." So the guy breaks down and buys him a burrow owl. So 10:30 the other night, I go out in my yard and there's the Wurster kid, looking up in the tree. I say "what are you looking for," he says "I'm looking for my burrow owl," I say JUMPING JESUS ON A POGO STICK! EVERYBODY KNOWS THE BURROW OWL LIVES, IN A HOLE, IN THE GROUND. WHY THE HELL DO YOU THINK THEY CALL IT A BURROW OWL, ANYWAY?!? DO YOU THINK A KID LIKE THIS IS GONNA KNOW WHAT THE QUEERS ARE DOING TO OUR SOIL???

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 8:06 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Radio is such a weird business. Personalities can be HUGEEEEEEEEEEEE like these three and then be thrown out with the garbage overnight. Makes you wonder if Danny Mac will be doing podcasts for the next 15 years. Hope he saved his money

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:44 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

correct. i listened when Kev first did it and it was OMFG halarious not just to the listeners but the loop personalities. It was dead on. Dahl's was the worst. Funny how Ed joined am 1000 all hell broke loose.

but Dahl's had the best content

Kevin was a more realistic impression but the entire concept was taken from Dahl and Kev had no idea who Eddie was and could only play off Dahl's content. Kevin, for all his brilliance was a pretty empty vessel.

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:46 am 

newper wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

The radio station had at least one store at North Pier back in the day. Hard to believe that in this day and age, but a radio station could sell so much swag they could open up a retail location. I know I bought a CD which had two cuts from everyone -- Stroud and Rockestra had Switching To Glide on it and "In The Lunchtime Hour", Dahl had a terrible song about Comsikey Park on it (When xyz came to town, he came to town), there was Ed Zepplin with I Could Eat Eggrolls Forever, Brandmeier had Talking Headlines on it... can't remember what else they had. I also bought a Kevin Matthews "Best Of" tape -- listened to it in college and my friend and I could basically recite the call he made to Stateville prison and the "chef" there with what they were feeding people. Matthews was talking to the guy as his alien voice (I don't remember what he was named)... "Apples... what am I, a horse?" It was the most entertaining radio has ever been in my lifetime.

http://www.cylist.com/List/405619809/va ... ck-listing

I forgot Buzz had a good one about coming from Miami in 1981.

This is the link to the Dahl song... as bad as I remember (hope he is healing up, but this song is no good.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8T0YDzAM2s

Buzz Killman may have been the coolest character in Chicago radio during my lifetime. He is about 15 years senior to all those guys and could hang with them in their prime while always being more hip

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2017 7:48 am 
Site Admin

good dolphin wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:
Minooka Meatball wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
HawaiiYou wrote:

but Dahl's had the best content

Kevin was a more realistic impression but the entire concept was taken from Dahl and Kev had no idea who Eddie was and could only play off Dahl's content. Kevin, for all his brilliance was a pretty empty vessel.

Right. Matthews didn't really understand the bit. He got the impression down well, but as you say, the content wasn't there. He didn't grow up with Eddie and get how weird he was the way Meier did. He just turned it into a guy with a funny voice as a fat joke.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:39 pm 

pizza_Place: PizzaHut
Jim shorts on Sportschannel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SerL3USerfM

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:45 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
good dolphin wrote:
Buzz Killman may have been the coolest character in Chicago radio during my lifetime. He is about 15 years senior to all those guys and could hang with them in their prime while always being more hip.

Absolutely true.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:07 pm 

My memory may be going but I swear it was Dahl who did the Eddie impression in the high voice. There has to be tape out there somewhere.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:10 pm 
Site Admin

DannyB wrote:
My memory may be going but I swear it was Dahl who did the Eddie impression in the high voice. There has to be tape out there somewhere.

I think they both did it, didn't they? Maybe Dahl started it and Meier took it over?

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 9:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:

I think they both did it, didn't they? Maybe Dahl started it and Meier took it over?

i remember it was only Dahl too with the high voice. it was a terrible impression and Kev's murdered it.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 10:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
HawaiiYou wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
DannyB wrote:

i remember it was only Dahl too with the high voice. it was a terrible impression and Kev's murdered it.

Yep, Steves was high pitched. Matthews was more dead on. I personally thought Kevin's Raymond Burr was hysterical. Did a good Don Knotts / Barney Fife too.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.