It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:14 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:07 am 

I'm not sure where to start with my comments on this article. Here is an excerpt from it...

In everything the Sox do, they measure themselves against the Cubs. How many column inches they get in the newspaper. Why the local sportscasts are favoring the Cubs. Whether City Hall loves both teams equally. That’s why the Sox don’t like to put themselves in a situation where they could lose face. I don’t want to make them sound like North Korea, but I guess I just did.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/sports/jerry-reinsdorfs-aversion-to-trading-with-cubs-makes-total-sense/

Rick Morrissey

Conventional wisdom holds that the White Sox never will make a big trade with the Cubs, despite what Sox general manager Rick Hahn is saying to the contrary. Most people with even a passing familiarity with Jerry Reinsdorf think the chairman rather would pull out his own teeth than do anything that could benefit the Sox’ crosstown rival.

That might seem incredibly shortsighted, even petty. The idea is to help your team, and if a trade offers what you think is a clear path to success, you should jump on it.

But I get it. I completely understand if the idea of helping the Cubs hurts Reinsdorf from head to toe. It should.

The franchises are in different leagues (in more ways than one), but they compete against each other for fans, for media attention, for advertisers, for the air they breathe. Why would the Sox do something that might put them even further behind in the battle for hearts?

The Sox have been accused of having an unhealthy preoccupation with the Cubs, possibly because they are unhealthily preoccupied with the Cubs. But if the Sox make a deal and end up looking like losers, it’s a double whammy: It’s not just a mistake, but it’s a mistake that hurts business in town by benefitting the Cubs.

The North Siders could use some pitching help. I know: It’s early! There’s no reason to worry about the defending World Series champions! Nothing to see here! But Jake Arrieta is off to a rough start, as are a few other Cubs pitchers, and it’s never too soon to shore up what might become a serious problem later. The Sox might be willing to move left-hander Jose Quintana for the right price.

A Sox spokesman confirmed Wednesday that Reinsdorf wouldn’t stand in the way of a trade involving the teams. I’ll believe it when I see Quintana in a Cubs uniform.

Understand the mindset here. It’s the mindset of an organization and a fan base that feel they have been treated like second-class citizens for decades in Chicago. The Sox are the kid from the other side of the tracks, the kid who wants to be somebody but keeps bumping up against a blue ceiling. Even after the Sox won the World Series in 2005, there was a sentiment on the South Side that they didn’t get their due. It certainly didn’t help last year when ESPN forgot to include the Sox’ title in a graphic listing the championships Chicago and Cleveland sports teams had won since 1965.

That wasn’t an ‘‘oops’’ in the minds of some Sox fans; it was proof of invisibility.

From a sober, clear-thinking business standpoint, not dancing with the Cubs is dumb. If president Theo Epstein comes offering prospects from the Cubs’ talented minor-league system, wouldn’t that fit in with the youth movement the Sox are trying to push?

But Reinsdorf is human. I’m sure he had trouble understanding the Cubs’ allure when they were bad for so many years, and, now that they’re champions, the mere thought of helping them win another title must make him ill.

In everything the Sox do, they measure themselves against the Cubs. How many column inches they get in the newspaper. Why the local sportscasts are favoring the Cubs. Whether City Hall loves both teams equally. That’s why the Sox don’t like to put themselves in a situation where they could lose face. I don’t want to make them sound like North Korea, but I guess I just did.

The last big trade the Sox made with the Cubs involved sending Sammy Sosa to the North Side in 1992 for George Bell. I think Reinsdorf has filed that under Lessons Learned. Sosa went on to hit 545 home runs for the Cubs and filled up Wrigley Field year after year. Even if you can’t get past the stink of steroids that has followed him everywhere, you have to agree that the Cubs got the better of the deal and that the Sox looked silly. Since then, the teams have traded with each other twice.

The idea that Reinsdorf would be willing to deal Quintana so that Hahn can continue his soft rebuild seems contrary to the chairman’s nature. The Sox insist it isn’t. But I’m having a hard time getting used to this Cubs-friendly Reinsdorf. It makes more sense for him to keep his distance.

The Rays’ Chris Archer, with a career 3.52 ERA to go with 9.4 strikeouts per nine innings, has been mentioned as a logical candidate to help the Cubs’ pitching. They would be wise to spend their time looking at him and anybody else not named ‘‘Jose Quintana.’’ Working out the parameters of a trade only to be snorted at by Reinsdorf seems like the definition of wasted time.

For his part, Reinsdorf would do better to channel his competitiveness in other directions — perhaps by blowing up the Bulls and hiring some people who know how to build a team.

That’s another thing that’s not going to happen.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
north Korea has more firepower than the Sox

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:12 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

Better leadership?

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
walkrman5 wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Better leadership?

similar history of success relative to its neighbors.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:14 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Leave it to the Fenwick guy to speak truth to power.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Terrible column from a terrible columnist.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I guess Jon Garland's career did not happen.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Terry's Peeps wrote:

and the Sun Times wonders why their days are numbered.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 am 

Great column

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Terry's Peeps wrote:

Yeah, he's a dipshit.

That's why I get my info from WSI.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:00 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Rick Morresey never won a fucking thing. Fuck him.

White Sox are best Sox.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
He hit the nail on the head. God Bless Mr. Morrissey.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
leashyourkids wrote:

Go steam some peas.

Last edited by sjboyd0137 on Fri May 12, 2017 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 5:53 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

To steam some peas.

Go on. Sounds like a deep thought.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 8:52 pm 

sjboyd0137 wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

To steam some peas.

burrito

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Caseys
Yes too bad Cubs lost that Karchner trade. I would never deal with anyone again especially the Sox when they won the deal.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:22 pm 

The dream world some Cubs fans create is astounding. They need to be more important than they are. They won the World Series. Stop with this stupidity.

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2017 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
donspiracy wrote:
Rick Morresey never won a fucking thing. Fuck him.

White Sox are best Sox.

He won the caddy scholarship

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 6:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
It's a dumb article. He seems to be implying the Cubs are the only team capable of offering prospects in return for Quintana.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 9:46 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
I guess Jon Garland's career did not happen.

This

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
FavreFan wrote:
It's a dumb article. He seems to be implying the Cubs are the only team capable of offering prospects in return for Quintana.
And perhaps the reason Quintana is not in a Cubs uniform is because Theo hasnt offered the right prospects.

Its amazing the crap Cubs fans just lap up.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:38 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
The dream world some Cubs fans create is astounding. They need to be more important than they are. They won the World Series. Stop with this stupidity.

So you read the article and your take is "Cubs Fans" ? Why? Not once in the article is either fanbase mentioned. YOu think Cubs fans colluded with Morresey to write this garbage? I think the article is ridiculous and weak. A reflection of the shitty paper that the SunTimes is. I don't know that Morresey is a Cubs or Sox fan. I don't know him to be a Cubs apologist either. Maybe he is...I just don't typically read his shit. This jumped out at me mostly because of the North Korea statement.....and then his pushing of these other narratives.

I'm not sure how or why you try and blame "Cubs Fans" for this.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:41 am 

Sox fans constantly see ghosts. The only Cub fan to agree with the article was me, and I was clearly joking. Frank gonna Frank, though.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:42 am 

walkrman5 wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:

So you read the article and your take is "Cubs Fans" ? Why? Not once in the article is either fanbase mentioned. YOu think Cubs fans colluded with Morresey to write this garbage? I think the article is ridiculous and weak. A reflection of the shitty paper that the SunTimes is. I don't know that Morresey is a Cubs or Sox fan. I don't know him to be a Cubs apologist either. Maybe he is...I just don't typically read his shit. This jumped out at me mostly because of the North Korea statement.....and then his pushing of these other narratives.

I'm not sure how or why you try and blame "Cubs Fans" for this.

"Some Cubs fans" have a strange obsession with his the White Sox view them. This is but one example of many.

I would recommend in the future being more clear if you think something you post is ridiculous and weak.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:45 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Sox fans constantly see ghosts. The only Cub fan to agree with the article was me, and I was clearly joking. Frank gonna Frank, though.

Well the 'Sox won't trade with the Cubs' thing has been going on for a while and it seemed like many Cubs fans thought it was because of jealousy or other negative feelings. I guess those negative feelings stopped the Schwarber for Sale trade.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:51 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Well the 'Sox won't trade with the Cubs' thing has been going on for a while and it seemed like many Cubs fans thought it was because of jealousy or other negative feelings. I guess those negative feelings stopped the Schwarber for Sale trade.

Huh?

The "won't trade with the Cubs" thing is reasonable both ways. Neither wants to look bad.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:53 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
walkrman5 wrote:
YOu think Cubs fans colluded with Morresey to write this garbage?

Morrisey is a Cubs fan.

And the media (made up of mostly Cubs fans) has pushed this phony narrative that the Sox are "afraid" to trade with the Cubs. It's a two way street. They've only made about 13 trades in the history of the two teams. Do you think Theo wants to risk having Jimenez play his Hall of Fame career on the South side while Quintana goes 40-42 for the Cubs over the next three years?

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:54 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Huh?

The "won't trade with the Cubs" thing is reasonable both ways. Neither wants to look bad.

Right. But it's not being written that way. The popular narrative is that it's the Sox that won't trade with the Cubs.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:57 am 

leashyourkids wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:

Huh?

It is rarely portrayed as a mutual decision. In fact I can't remember the last time someone went after the Cubs for refusing to trade with the Sox.

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:58 am 

My issue was with Frank's statement. You can rip Morrissey all you want.