It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:37 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
:lol: :lol: Huh? All I've been led to believe by the Bernstein ass kissers is he's exactly that. He's not really a miserable fucking asshole, it's just a bit he's playing on the radio. He's exactly what you just described he isn't .
I don't think he is miserable and I don't think he comes off as that on the radio. He makes fun of stupid callers and sometimes gets too worked up about topics.

What I mean is that he would have had to come in every day and basically been a happy go lucky character that doesn't really ever say anything of interest but instead just acts like a harmless voice. That's pretty much what ESPN and other national hosts have to do when they are at a place like ESPN.

I largely agree with you here, but I don't think you have to become bland to go national at ESPN. Bomani Jones has hardly changed from his SB Nation days and even does some of the things Dan enjoys engaging in on his show, like making fun of dumb callers and infuriating white people on Twitter. It's just that he also happens to be a lot more intelligent than Dan too. The same could be said of Le Batard. I don't even like him that much but he's about as far from the vanilla Mike and Mike model as it gets.
That's definitely true. ESPN did kind of shift with that starting with PTI and Around the Horn and then with the other "opinion" shows that followed.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Little Caesar's
They should've just made Silvy & Waddle national & put them on in the mornings.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:49 pm 

ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
:lol: :lol: Huh? All I've been led to believe by the Bernstein ass kissers is he's exactly that. He's not really a miserable fucking asshole, it's just a bit he's playing on the radio. He's exactly what you just described he isn't .
I don't think he is miserable and I don't think he comes off as that on the radio. He makes fun of stupid callers and sometimes gets too worked up about topics.

What I mean is that he would have had to come in every day and basically been a happy go lucky character that doesn't really ever say anything of interest but instead just acts like a harmless voice. That's pretty much what ESPN and other national hosts have to do when they are at a place like ESPN.

I largely agree with you here, but I don't think you have to become bland to go national at ESPN. Bomani Jones has hardly changed from his SB Nation days and even does some of the things Dan enjoys engaging in on his show, like making fun of dumb callers and infuriating white people on Twitter. It's just that he also happens to be a lot more intelligent than Dan too. The same could be said of Le Batard. I don't even like him that much but he's about as far from the vanilla Mike and Mike model as it gets.

Are we going to go down the well traveled road at this place where Dan isn't intelligent?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:01 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Colonel Angus wrote:
They should've just made Silvy & Waddle national & put them on in the mornings.

They're being groomed.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
good dolphin wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Are we going to go down the well traveled road at this place where Dan isn't intelligent?

I'm 100% confident that Jones is more intelligent than Bernstein, regardless of the latter's absolute level.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Of course Dan is smart, he just doesn't do a lot of critical thinking in the course of his show.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Tafdes
good dolphin wrote:
ZephMarshack wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Ones lack of self-awareness is reflected in their intelligence. Dan loses EVERY.SINGLE.TIME.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:44 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

You also didn't think Abattaclueless was broke n miserable.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:56 pm 

He isn't.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Cucina
At the very least, Dan is extremely inconsistent. Maybe that's part of his act... I don't know... but he contradicts himself at least once a day.

He railed on the virtues of "teamwork" and "good guys" and the warm and fuzzy stuff for years, but his hero Theo is perhaps the biggest believer in those virtues in all of sports. And Dan will routinely cite getting "the right guys" as a reason for the Cubs' success now. He is one big "who you crappin." That doesn't make him unintelligent, but it doesn't help his case.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
i remember last year when Lester laid down that game winning bunt and in the celebration they threw some powder into his face. for a fact, pre 670 cubs, Bernstein wouldve normally laid into the cubs for risking an injury to your best pitcher for a silly celebration. but now he was all about the fun aspect of it and chastised a caller for even bringing it up. complete flip flopper

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 4:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
There were MANY contradictions by BnB over the years, but one that jumps out at me was after Flacco won the super bowl and subsequently got paid. The day of the signing a caller asked if they thought Flacco's large contract would play into the money Cutler would eventually by resigned for.

BnB flat out dismissed this guy. Saying it wouldn't play into Emery's decision one bit.

I shit you not. About a month or two later when Cutler signed that god awful contract BnB spent a whole segment talking about how Flacco's contract could have influenced the amount of $ Jay received.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:21 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
i remember last year when Lester laid down that game winning bunt and in the celebration they threw some powder into his face. for a fact, pre 670 cubs, Bernstein wouldve normally laid into the cubs for risking an injury to your best pitcher for a silly celebration. but now he was all about the fun aspect of it and chastised a caller for even bringing it up. complete flip flopper

Not to mention he is against bunting.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 11:43 am 

pittmike wrote:
SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:

Not to mention he is against bunting.

Haha