It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:55 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
SI.com wrote:
The tense, deteriorating relationship between ESPN Radio's Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic

Off-camera tension between media personalities who work together is hardly a new phenomenon. In one of the more famous examples, Mike Francesa and Chris Russo, who partnered on an immensely popular and polarizing show (Mike And The Mag Dog) on WFAN-AM Radio in New York from 1989 to 2008, went through multiple three-month stretches during which neither spoke to the other off the air. Away from sports, television morning shows have a long history of on-air love and off-camera animus, from Ann Curry and Matt Lauer on Today to Michael Strahan and Kelly Ripa on ABC’s Live, where friction first led to the end of their pairing and then to a string of tabloid covers.

ESPN Radio is now experiencing some off-camera issues of its own. Multiple ESPN staffers, including current and former employees who have had roles with the show, told SI.com last week that the once-warm relationship between partners Mike Greenberg and Mike Golic has turned icy over the last year, prompting a number of ESPNers to predict that the show will conclude long before this December’s contractual end. The sources said Greenberg and Golic are not talking to each other off the set—and hardly at all before the show or during commercial breaks.

Through an ESPN spokesperson, both Greenberg and Golic declined comment.

“It’s really a poisonous atmosphere right now,” said one longtime ESPNer who has worked on the show. “Most of us don’t see the show lasting through its contractual end [which is believed to be the end of December]. But I give both these guys immense credit because when the light comes on, you would not know what’s going on. They are pros on air.”

“They are marvelous actors on set,” said another ESPN on-air staffer, who speaks to both Greenberg and Golic. “But they barely even make eye contact with each other these days.”

“They virtually ignore each other off air,” said a third ESPN staffer who has previously worked on the show and said such tension has existed since late last year.

What caused the chill between the two hosts, whose on-air partnership began in October 1998 and is one of the most successful sports radio pairings of alltime? A number of factors, according to those around the program. Last week, as reported by many outlets, members of the Golic family, particularly Mike’s youngest son, Jake, were not shy about making public their animus over how ESPN management has handled the show over the last 24 months.

“Am I allowed to tweet that you guys are idiots now, or do I need a year to announce that,” tweeted Jake Golic, in a reference to ESPN management not making public what most inside ESPN have known for some time—that Greenberg is leaving Mike & Mike to host his own television show beginning Jan. 1, 2018. That show will originate from a studio in New York City and air live from 7 to 10 a.m. ET on ESPN, and re-air each day at 10 a.m. ET on ESPN2. Golic will continue on ESPN Radio with new partner Trey Wingo, who has experience on ESPN Radio and is one of the network’s signature NFL hosts. Mike Golic Jr. will also be part of the show each morning from 6:00 a.m. to 7:00 a.m. That show, still based in Bristol, Conn., is expected to simulcast on ESPNU. Most people I spoke with for this story predicted the Golic-Wingo pairing will start sometime in the fall.

Said an ESPN spokesperson on Monday afternoon: “Mike and Mike will continue into the fall.”

As for the background that led up to the current tension between the two co-hosts: at the ESPN annual upfront presentation for ad buyers in May 2015, the company boldly announced that Mike & Mike would move to New York City and begin broadcasting from ABC’s Times Square studio at 6 a.m. ET on Feb. 8, 2016, the day after Super Bowl XL. The move was designed to turn Mike & Mike into a Good Morning America-style program, including actual on-air interaction with the ABC morning show, which is also under the Disney aegis. At the time, Mike Golic called it a “nice second act for the show” and said he would be moving his family just outside New York City. Greenberg, who grew up in Manhattan, said he was excited to be closer to the city. The announcement remains on ESPN’s PR site.

That move, of course, never happened and it's hard to discern why, though multiple ESPNers said both were in contract negotiations that included the show move before ESPN ultimately pulled the plug on New York City. Cris Carter was later added to—in theory—give it more juice. Carter now works at Fox Sports and will compete against Greenberg in the mornings.

In Sept. 2016 SI.com reported that ESPN executives were exploring moving Greenberg into a new role as the lead host of a new morning television show. Sources at ESPN say Golic had no idea that Greenberg was pursuing such an option and that he may have even learned of it via the SI.com article. “From Golic’s perspective, he thinks Mike [Greenberg] should have come to him and told him he wanted to do his own thing,” said one of the ESPN-ers. “But Greeney is very non-confrontational, truly a nice a guy, and he would say that it wasn’t incumbent on him to tell Golic everything about what he wanted to do professionally. I guess I can see both sides.”

In January SI.com reported that ESPN executives were moving forward with a plan to give Greenberg a solo show. Greenberg also changed agents last year—he previously shared an agent with Golic—and signed a big deal with ESPN, which ESPN book author James Andrew Miller reported to be $6.5 million annually. That’s well over what Golic would be making on a radio-centric deal.

At last week’s ESPN’s Upfront presentation, Greenberg said, “Over the years I have thought many times about wanting to do something different. Many times it was going out of sports. Over the course of my life I did think I would maybe go away from sports and going into news or something different. The right thing never came up. So to leave what I am doing, which has been so good, I mean, getting teamed up with Mike Golic is the best thing that ever happened to me professionally. To leave that, I would not have done it if I did not have the chance to do something really good. So I hope I do this as long as I continue working because I can shape this into whatever I want”

Last Wednesday, Golic, through body language that could be read by a first year psychology major, offered this take on the dissolution of the show.

Said Golic: “The last year and a half have been interesting if not eyebrow-raising, as well. For me, it’s not my story to tell. I’m going to continue doing this exact same show. It’s for others to tell who made this decision if they want to tell it and how they want to tell it. Not my story to tell… So, basically as Greeny said, this show will go on for a while. We don’t know how long into this year, and then as I start a new show with Trey Wingo—who I’ve known for years, I’ve done football with since 2003—and my son Mike, so how could I not be excited about that?”

Greenberg on air called the show “the best thing that has happened to him in his professional life” but he did not elaborate on what led to the parting of ways. For fans of the show, there is one silver lining: As the show gets closer to its conclusion, it is likely that the thaw between the two hosts will, in some parts, turn to melancholy. They will both recognize (and likely publicly) how good a professional partnership it has been.

“It was very telling in that public statement that neither looked at each other,” said the ESPNer who has worked on the show. “I thought they would at least say, 'Hey, thanks for a great run.'”

As far as listening options go I would rather have Golic and Wingo's show air on ESPN radio. Greenberg is a yammering twit.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:59 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
What a boring article by SI. Nothing interesting at all in it.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:02 am 

pizza_Place: Paisan's in Cicero
KDdidit wrote:

I disagree. I think the article shows that even professional men who have years of friendship built up can be just as petty as 2 reality show attention seeking whores.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
spmack wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

I disagree. I think the article shows that even professional men who have years of friendship built up can be just as petty as 2 reality show attention seeking whores.

Makes you realize how unsurprising it was that bigfan turned so petty.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:07 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
KDdidit wrote:

It's fitting considering it's about a boring and uninteresting show.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:09 am 

I would hate life if I had to listen to their show every day too.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
It is pretty amazing that a show that can get any guest and has the most resources can be so mediocre, but that's what it was meant to be. Vanilla so it could attract as many advertisers as possible.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Cant really blame Golic for being a little salty if his partner was basically negotiating behind his back for his own deal, new show etc. Golics cash flow is directly tied into Greenberg and their success. Id probably want a little heads up if that was going to be affected too if I were him.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

Last edited by badrogue17 on Tue May 23, 2017 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:13 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Yeah Golic probably feels like he was placed into his new gig with no input, but Greenberg was given more control when finding his new job. Also, all this happened behind Golic's back until recently. I'd be salty as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:17 am 

pizza_Place: Al's Pizza
Greenie should have said something, but I'm not crying for Golic. He made a handsome living for the last nineteen years, on top of whatever football money he made.

<º)))><

Waiting for the time when I can finally say
That this has all been wonderful, but now I'm on my way

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:19 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
Chus wrote:
Greenie should have said something, but I'm not crying for Golic. He made a handsome living for the last nineteen years, on top of whatever football money he made.

They both suck with that Disney filter on, but I bet they have some interesting opinions on sports away from the mic.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:24 am 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
spmack wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Sure, but that's not the least bit surprising, and the examples of pettiness were just as boring as the show.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:25 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Golic and his kids are bitches.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 10:29 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
KDdidit wrote:
spmack wrote:
KDdidit wrote:

Sure, but that's not the least bit surprising, and the examples of pettiness were just as boring as the show.

That's exactly the comment I was going to make. Even their drama is boring!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:01 am 

There are a lot of guys lucky to be collecting a paycheck in that story but none moreso than Golic's kid.

I'm sure there is a collective shock in towns like Grand Rapids and Albaquuerque over the breakup of their most popular morning sports radio show.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Il Forno in Deerfield!
let me just go ahead and King Solomon the fuck out of this situation.

Allow me to introduce our two new morning radio shows...

Eric and Mike

Mike and Kathy

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 3:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
shakes wrote:
let me just go ahead and King Solomon the fuck out of this situation.

Allow me to introduce our two new morning radio shows...

Eric and Mike

Mike and Kathy

:lol:

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:04 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Didn't Mac once call this pairing "Prissy and Pot Roast"?

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:05 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Curious Hair wrote:
Didn't Mac once call this pairing "Prissy and Pot Roast"?

:lol:

Yes he did. I forgot all about that.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:06 pm 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Big Chicagoan wrote:
Golic and his kids are bitches.

Yup

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 4:07 pm 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Not even the best Golic...

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Who will get all the commercial reads? Guessing Wingo and Golic.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:35 pm 

Golic comes off like a more insecure version of Spiegel

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:53 pm 
1000 CLUB

Fuck Golic. Greenberg had no obligation to tell him about his personal negotiations.

And Golic shouldn't be mad at ESPN. They gave his stupid son an on air job when their were thousands of people more qualified.

So just keep on being the stupid fat meat head. His son is the same type of guy. Be grateful that despite the fact that you're an idiot, you still get a national radio show. Bitch!!!!

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:58 pm 

Golic is a much better listen than Greenberg, who i always thought was the weaker link. Their show is vanilla, their guests are blah, and they both are stupid when it comes to pop culture.

but Golic knows his shit with football, and i usually like hearing what he has to say about that.

I actually don't mind his sons. They're decent.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Four hours away....and on fire :-(
The video of them announcing the new gig was extremely awkward.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:05 pm 

W_Z wrote:
Golic is a much better listen than Greenberg, who i always thought was the weaker link. Their show is vanilla, their guests are blah, and they both are stupid when it comes to pop culture.

but Golic knows his shit with football, and i usually like hearing what he has to say about that.

I actually don't mind his sons. They're decent.

His son is a better listen than anyone at the Score excepting Parkins

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Oh, I forgot to mention this, but on today's show, Greenberg said there was no gravity on the moon. And he wasn't corrected.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 9:32 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Deadspin summed up Mike Golic well a while back
http://deadspin.com/5963736/the-haters- ... notre-dame

Quote:
Mike Golic: God, he sucks. Someone from Notre Dame could invent flight boots and it still wouldn't make up for sending Mike Golic out into the world. Mike Golic is ESPN's way of presenting sports as an "According to Jim" episode.

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:42 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
never liked Golic or saw why he appealed to others. guy comes off like a first class jerk. reading about his kid I guess it runs in the family. Never liked the show either. thought it was so boring. can't believe they started to beat whatever was on the score for years. that's how far the score has fallen i guess.