It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:55 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:18 am 

W_Z wrote:
Golic is a much better listen than Greenberg, who i always thought was the weaker link. Their show is vanilla, their guests are blah, and they both are stupid when it comes to pop culture.

but Golic knows his shit with football, and i usually like hearing what he has to say about that.

I actually don't mind his sons. They're decent.

I think, like Jurko, Golic is a knowledgeable and interesting guy when he is not playing his ESPN character. Unfortunately for him, the character now overshadows the person so I don't know what kind of future he has in the industry. That Golic/Wingo pairing sounds like a golden parachute for Golic which will be cancelled within two years or remain only as an in season football show

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 8:47 am 

pizza_Place: Pasaro's, St. Joe, MI.
Unlike the rest of you, I listen to M/M every day I am not at work, until Dan Patrick comes on at 9AM. I would not have known things were this bad, from the on-air product. My biggest fear was Golic retiring when Greenie left, and the pair being replaced by Michael and Jamel (sp?). They seemed to be favorites of Greenberg and the network, back in the short time when Greenie was a potential to replace Regis.

From the other thread, 19 years in one job seems like a lot today, so I don't think it's wrong that either guy wants to try something else, nor do I think I would want to be left behind. Fairly easy to relate to either guy's decision, too bad it had to get shitty.

I do agree that Golic, Jr. has little redeeming quality to justify his position, at least on-air. Still better than M/H, but that isn't saying much.

IF the ESPN Vanilla radio isn't your cup of tea, just what flavor do you want?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:19 am 

I like Greenberg. I think he's funny and in the rare 17% of the show when he's being serious, he makes a lot of good points.

Golic is Fine I guess

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
I'm with the more recent posts. I like Greenberg. I don't like Golic, but the show is better than M&H and I might listen once or twice a week for a little bit. If it was less NFL heavy, I'd listen more.

Pretty much guarantees I won't listen to the new show.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:32 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
The best part of this story are the parallels you can draw comparing career arcs of Greenie vs. Bernsie.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:33 am 

pizza_Place: Clamburger's
pittmike wrote:
The best part of this story are the parallels you can draw comparing career arcs of Greenie vs. Bernsie.

Like what?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:45 am 

pizza_Place: Pequod's / Barnaby's
Yeah, when exactly did Bernstein get paid $6.5M per year and get a flagship morning show on a national station?

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:52 am 

I think they started off at the same place and position at the score. It is purely speculative but my feeling was Dan desired to be be bigger and more important. That is why he used to try to do Dan Patrick fill ins for a while. Seeing Greenie ascend into national radio fame and now television is likely not a great feeling for Bernsie comparatively. Again, just my opinion.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:54 am 

pittmike wrote:
I think they started off at the same place and position at the score. It is purely speculative but my feeling was Dan desired to be be bigger and more important. That is why he used to try to do Dan Patrick fill ins for a while. Seeing Greenie ascend into national radio fame and now television is likely not a great feeling for Bernsie comparatively. Again, just my opinion.

PM... Idk man. I don't think it's healthy to think about Bernsie this much in your spare time.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:55 am 

HawaiiYou wrote:
can't believe they started to beat whatever was on the score for years. that's how far the score has fallen i guess.

They beat The Score back in the Mike North morning show days (dead air probably would have beaten Mike North's suckfest), but I don't think they have ever beat Mully & Hanley.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:56 am 

Jbi11s wrote:
pittmike wrote:

PM... Idk man. I don't think it's healthy to think about Bernsie this much in your spare time.

IDK? I don't much anymore. This topic made me think of it now. I do enjoy their competition and it really has been a nice break for me. In the end my problem with Dan is more disappointment in what he evolved into and I miss the older version.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 9:58 am 

I wouldn't hold out any hope Bernstein will revert back to pre 2010 Dan ever again.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:23 am 

pittmike wrote:
I don't think that is right. If anything, Bernstein got comfortable and not willing to take a chance. He had a great job that was easy and working well with a good life in the city he wants to live in. Greenie had to turn himself into a character that acted every day. That just doesn't strike me as how Bernstein wants to live.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:34 am 

I belive Grenberg started at The Score before Bernstein; I think Bernstein may have replaced Greenberg when he went to ESPN - the timing was close.

Having talked with bernstein about this, he wanted what Greenberg had/has - national exposure. Greenberg went on to national talk show, hosted a game show on ABC, written a few books - and bernsy is stuck in talking about road construction on the way to Wrigley. Bernstein won't get national now - DB isn't good looking enough for TV ( not even for a live Facebook feed), and the national ship sailed long ago.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:42 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:
I don't think that is right. If anything, Bernstein got comfortable and not willing to take a chance. He had a great job that was easy and working well with a good life in the city he wants to live in. Greenie had to turn himself into a character that acted every day. That just doesn't strike me as how Bernstein wants to live.
:lol: :lol: Huh? All I've been led to believe by the Bernstein ass kissers is he's exactly that. He's not really a miserable fucking asshole, it's just a bit he's playing on the radio. He's exactly what you just described he isn't .

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:43 am 

didea wrote:
I belive Grenberg started at The Score before Bernstein; I think Bernstein may have replaced Greenberg when he went to ESPN - the timing was close.

Having talked with bernstein about this, he wanted what Greenberg had/has - national exposure. Greenberg went on to national talk show, hosted a game show on ABC, written a few books - and bernsy is stuck in talking about road construction on the way to Wrigley. Bernstein won't get national now - DB isn't good looking enough for TV ( not even for a live Facebook feed), and the national ship sailed long ago.
He may have "wanted it". I "wanted" to play in the NBA. I didn't do what would be required to have a chance at it though.

Bernstein just got comfortable instead of doing what Greenberg did which was basically become a Hollywood actor. If Bernstein really wanted to go national his radio persona would have been significantly different(as it was when he did a few guest hosting spots for Dan Patrick until that show got huge and now has permanent guest hosts or just takes vacation).

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:48 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
:lol: :lol: Huh? All I've been led to believe by the Bernstein ass kissers is he's exactly that. He's not really a miserable fucking asshole, it's just a bit he's playing on the radio. He's exactly what you just described he isn't .
I don't think he is miserable and I don't think he comes off as that on the radio. He makes fun of stupid callers and sometimes gets too worked up about topics.

What I mean is that he would have had to come in every day and basically been a happy go lucky character that doesn't really ever say anything of interest but instead just acts like a harmless voice. That's pretty much what ESPN and other national hosts have to do when they are at a place like ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:51 am 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:
I don't think he is miserable and I don't think he comes off as that on the radio. He makes fun of stupid callers and sometimes gets too worked up about topics.

What I mean is that he would have had to come in every day and basically been a happy go lucky character that doesn't really ever say anything of interest but instead just acts like a harmless voice. That's pretty much what ESPN and other national hosts have to do when they are at a place like ESPN.

One need not be a complete fucking asshole to be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 10:55 am 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

One need not be a complete fucking asshole to be interesting.
I guess you don't read this board.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:06 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
You only need to hear Dan get googly-eyed about New York for like five seconds to realize he wants more than what he got.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:08 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
You only need to hear Dan get googly-eyed about New York for like five seconds to realize he wants more than what he got.
You only need to hear the rest of his radio show to realize he isn't putting on a show that gets you to go national.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:09 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

:lol: Good ole CH knows what bernsie wants

This topic always amazes me. Brick is dead on here.

Frank Coztansa wrote:
I have MANY years of experience in trying to appreciate steaming piles of dogshit.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:29 am 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
pittmike wrote:

we all would dance for $6.5 million

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:30 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

:lol: Good ole RFDC and Brick know what bernsie wants

Face it, nobody does, but I tend to agree with those who think he wanted to be bigger than he is.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:32 am 

RFDC wrote:
[ Brick is dead on here.

If only

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am 

Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Face it, nobody does, but I tend to agree with those who think he wanted to be bigger than he is.

I also believe he shoots jelouse glances from across the room at Seth Davis during Duke class reunions

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:34 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

Yep. And Greenberg went to Northwestern. Dan jealous of that too.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:35 am 

Franky T wrote:
RFDC wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

That's the thing though. Of course he "wanted" to be bigger. I want to be in the NBA.

Nearly his whole career in Chicago indicates that he was not working towards the goal of being an interchangeable guy who talks on the radio/tv and doesn't really say anything interesting or controversial. Greenberg has never made an interesting point in his whole time at ESPN.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 11:38 am 

pizza_Place: Angelo's Pizza in Downers Grove
Greenberg is the Ryan Seacrest of Sports Talk. Bernstein is the Dick Biondi.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

I largely agree with you here, but I don't think you have to become bland to go national at ESPN. Bomani Jones has hardly changed from his SB Nation days and even does some of the things Dan enjoys engaging in on his show, like making fun of dumb callers and infuriating white people on Twitter. It's just that he also happens to be a lot more intelligent than Dan too. The same could be said of Le Batard. I don't even like him that much but he's about as far from the vanilla Mike and Mike model as it gets.