It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: world famous
walkrman5 wrote:
No. Not a podcast guy.

I'm not a podcast guy either, but would give this a shot as the current sports talk choices are so week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:37 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
Franky T wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
No. Not a podcast guy.

I'm not a podcast guy either, but would give this a shot as the current sports talk choices are so week.

Venture over to Barstool (especially PMT) and you'll find some gems.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
Franky T wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
No. Not a podcast guy.

I think in most cases they're daily. :D

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:07 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Yes, I would listen.

Harry is perfect in the right setting and in small doses.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

This gonna be a daily podcast, Mac? How does this work? Do you have to sell the ads? Or do you hire somebody to do that?

If anybody knows that answer, let me know? Who has the most popular podcast in America? Does that person make millions?

I really don't know the podcast scene.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:52 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Beardown wrote:
This gonna be a daily podcast, Mac? How does this work? Do you have to sell the ads? Or do you hire somebody to do that?

If anybody knows that answer, let me know? Who has the most popular podcast in America? Does that person make millions?

I don't make millions.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Beardown wrote:

I don't make millions.

Not from the podcast , anyway.

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Beardown wrote:

Yes, the most popular podcast in the country makes millions. I believe I read recently that Bill simmons makes around $7-8 million a year in sponsors for his podcast, and it's not the most popular one.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:

I don't make millions.

You fell just short. I read some where that you made $950,000 for this year. You'll tip it over the mildo next year, Doc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequods
FavreFan wrote:
Beardown wrote:

Yes, the most popular podcast in the country makes millions. I believe I read recently that Bill simmons makes around $7-8 million a year in sponsors for his podcast, and it's not the most popular one.

Some of the top Barstool guys (Portnoy, KFC, and Big Cat) became millionaires from their podcasting. It can be done, but you really have to have to find something special to do it.

Most podcasts go the way of Mariotti's shortlived podcast with Woody Paige, which drew 2 listeners. They'd post the pods to Twitter and no one would RT them. 90% of the comments consisted of stoolies asking Jay how Iceland was.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Beardown wrote:

The most popular, most monetized, podcast out there today has got to be the Adam Carolla Show. Marc Maron, NPR, This American Life, are all bigger than what the Ace Man has running, but to my knowledge none are as ad-/live read-laden as his, of course I could be wrong. Joe Rogan's podcast is up there with ACS, but I don't think Joe has the background that Carolla does that keeps him on time with read and ad breaks.

As for revenue, one of those "celebrity net worth" sites claims to have had a prominent media buying insider give them some of the figures for the top podcasts out there, and they claim Carolla is pulling in around $14.5K an episode when he has all his ad slots filled. They break down the cost of each ad roll for some of the other shows, and from what I know about the industry and what some companies are willing to pay, they're not too far off, even if they're pulling the specific figures from thin air.

Carolla's show runs 5 times a week, and downloads (not listens) are estimated at 250,000+ per show. That breaks down to about $72K a week for 1.25MM impressions, or a $58 CPM (cost per mille) for a rough estimate. In the digital media world a CPM of $58 is nuts, but not completely unthinkable for something with that many viewers with an independent ad sales team not relying on AdSense or the like. Especially considering that for a handful of the ads, Carolla is acting as a personal endorser of the product, not just having a pre-made ad rolling at the press of a button.

Of course, these kinds of numbers are on the other side of feasibility for what would be one town's local sports talk show, even a daily one, in Chicago. But with Mac as the headliner, with time and enough word-of-mouth....maybe 25-45K impressions an episode is doable? That's of course assuming ALL of Mac's fans ALL know what a podcast is, ALL know where to find them, and ALL will listen daily to a large portion of the show, and tell their friends.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:36 pm 
1000 CLUB

I've only listened to Doc's. There isn't enough time in the day do listen to all this crap.

The way I do Doc's is with the baseball game on mute. And I fast forward through the crap I don't want to hear. Thanks for providing a time menu, Doc.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:52 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Beardown wrote:
I've only listened to Doc's. There isn't enough time in the day do listen to all this crap.

The way I do Doc's is with the baseball game on mute. And I fast forward through the crap I don't want to hear. Thanks for providing a time menu, Doc.

Thanks for not fast forwarding.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:08 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
The most popular, most monetized, podcast out there today has got to be the Adam Carolla Show. Marc Maron, NPR, This American Life, are all bigger than what the Ace Man has running, but to my knowledge none are as ad-/live read-laden as his

There's an "Ira Glass for stamps.com" bit here but it doesn't translate to print.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:53 am 

pizza_Place: any from anywhere
Beardown wrote:

Thanks for not fast forwarding.

Currently,it's just Doc for me. I used to enjoy Kevin Smith's "Smodcast" with the very funny Ralph Garman as co-host but too many penis jokes turned me off. Hopefully,Doc's broadcasts can stay clear of this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:20 pm 

Mac moves my soul so yes I would listen

I honestly don't listen much-Reared On The Score Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:38 am

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Also of note: Carolla's $58 CPM figure is the result of combining the CPM's of multiple ad slots on his show, he's not charging $14.5K for him to read Rocket Mortgage.

Figure the up-front rolls and reads are the most expensive, in the $10-20 CPM range, and he rolls one ad and does one read, so we're at $20-40 CPM. Next is the mid-segment read, which is less expensive and more dependent on time spent listening than aggregate download figures—on top of usually needing a coupon code, indicating he's not getting much cash up front and needs people to actually travel to the sponsor's site to get paid—so let's figure he can sell those in the $5-10 CPM range, so now we're at $25-50 aggregate CPM for an entire show. Then he breaks, plugs stuff of his own, then does another mid-segment read before the News with Gina Grad, but this is even less expensive than the first mid-segment read, as well as the last of the show, and so only a fraction of any given show's total downloaders will be listening at this point, figure he can maybe get $3-8 CPM for this stuff. For a full-boat show, that's how you get to $28-58 CPM, with your actual revenue tied to how many downloads you get on any given episode (and backed up by time spent listening, etc.).

So for our theoretical Chicago sports-talk show, despite the upper-limit on downloads being an order of magnitude less than the most profitable podcasts—unless the show gets really hot and promoted all over the place—it is feasible that the show could still monetize at a cumulative rate not so far removed from the likes of Carolla. The total payout would be less, but it still could be profitable. Even at 20K downloads per, all that would be needed is a cumulative CPM of $40 spread across multiple ads for a 5-day-a-week show to generate $250K in revenue for a 50-week period. And as the downloads per episode climb, assuming they do, the revenue increase would be exponential, as more ears also means higher CPM.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:23 am 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn...Frozen!
Only with Chip Chipperson.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:11 am 

pizza_Place: world famous
Don Tiny wrote:
Franky T wrote:
walkrman5 wrote:
No. Not a podcast guy.

I think in most cases they're daily. :D

:lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:18 pm 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
Jurko and Harry are insufferable burritos.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:34 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Spaulding wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
...Jurko and Harry podcast? Exploring the possibilities right now.

Are you kidding? At least a third of the people here would jerk off to it.

LOL....Welcome Back, Spaulding.

Mac,
The current shows (with the exception of Parkins) have set the bar really low for you. I would give it a try, but predict that Harry's involvement would limit my interest. You'd be much better off with a rotating group of guests / co-hosts.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 2:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Italian Fiesta
whiskey dick wrote:

What kind of burritos would you like on the show? I'm sure you're well versed in what would make a good burrito versus an insufferable one.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:26 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
I thought it was 'flick', not 'flip'.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:30 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
Spaulding wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
...Jurko and Harry podcast? Exploring the possibilities right now.

Are you kidding? At least a third of the people here would jerk off to it.

:lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am 

pizza_Place: Gigio's in Des Plaines
$5000 Suit wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

What kind of burritos would you like on the show? I'm sure you're well versed in what would make a good burrito versus an insufferable one.

Are you Jurko, or Harry? Either way, you make my fuckin' ears bleed.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 12:43 pm 

pizza_Place: Italian Fiesta
whiskey dick wrote:
$5000 Suit wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

Answer my question 1st. What kind of burritos would you like on the show?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:11 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
The first vaporware podcast.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:16 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
$5000 Suit wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:
$5000 Suit wrote:
whiskey dick wrote:

Answer my question 1st. What kind of burritos would you like on the show?

Do you really need to use such childish language? Show some class.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Lucano's
denisdman wrote:
Do you really need to use such childish language? Show some class.

If this was serious and not a joke, I'd like to point out this is coming from the guy with "Warren Buffet of Cock" as his favorite pizza place.

If it was a joke and not serious, I apologi...

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Duck Dynasty
This is a no brainier. Kill two birds with one stone by getting Mac in the air and he won't talk NBA. God send if it happened. Does Goff really think he can shove his NBA agenda down our throats?Mac would be a perfect counter.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 152 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next