It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:19 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Well, I don't think anyone actually reads this guy. But I got home from California yesterday to find this column in my Herald sports section. The headline grabbed my attention in light of the trade. Note that the trade was probably completed by the time this was printed, making the bolded statement even more absurd, and it shows you how uninformed and out of touch these columnists are.

Columns
updated: 7/13/2017 7:48 AM
Imrem: Quintana to Cubs just makes too much sense

How absurd that rumor was last week.

The one where the Brewers are considering a deal for Jose Quintana as the trade deadline nears.

The absurdity is that the Cubs aren't bidding for the White Sox left-handed starting pitcher because of geography.

Shouldn't the Cubs pursue Quintana if only to keep him away from the first-place Brewers?

I know, I know … the Cubs and Sox are reluctant to be intracity trade partners … blah, blah, sis-boom-blah.

The policy is dumb considering that ex-wives share kids with ex-husbands, Republicans play baseball with Democrats, and the sun participates in sun showers with clouds.

If Quintana will help the Cubs make the playoffs, they should acquire him. If Cubs prospects will help the Sox rebuild, they should acquire him.

It's not clear where the Cubs are on this issue: Maybe their scouts don't like Quintana all that much, maybe they don't like the Sox's asking price for him, or maybe they prefer other pitchers on the market.

It's difficult to imagine that Theo Epstein and Jed Hoyer wouldn't trade for Quintana's certainty simply because they don't want to do business with the Sox.

Public speculation, fair or not, is that Sox chairman Jerry Reinsdorf doesn't want anything to do with helping the Cubs even if it helps the Sox.

You mean not even if it accelerated the Sox's rebuild?

You mean not even if the Cubs thought Tyler Saladino would put them over the top and offered Kris Bryant for him?

You mean not even if the Sox could replace Ricky Renteria as manager with Joe Maddon like the Cubs did three years ago?

Hey, deal with the Cubs and try to beat their brains out in the transaction.

The dance between the Sox and Cubs is sensitive because some fans want it to be friendly, others want it to be nasty and still others want to kill the music.

Executives of the two teams long have tried to find a balance and make trades that wouldn't alienate anyone.

We were discussing this at the Cubs game Sunday and something made me think that Ferguson Jenkins was caught in a Cubs-Sox web.

Nobody remembered the details, so I looked it up.

In 1983, the White Sox had a player coming as compensation for losing Steve Kemp to free agency.

Jenkins was a Cubs great early in his career, in his second tour with them and unprotected from the compensation pool.

Losing Jenkins to the Sox would be uncomfortable for the Cubs and maybe even embarrassing.

The Sox didn't select Jenkins but soon completed a trade with the Cubs suspected of being a form of compensation for passing on Jenkins.

Cubs general manager Dallas Green reportedly expressed relief that he didn't lose Jenkins to the South Side. Sox GM Roland Hemond reportedly said he would have felt badly if he took Jenkins from the North Side.

All these years later the Sox and Cubs still are queasy about dealing with each other.

What the Sox should do is play hardball with the Cubs.

"No, no, we're not going to deal Quintana to the Cubs … OK, OK, we'll take Kyle Schwarber and Eloy Jimenez for him if you insist."

The trade doesn't have to help both teams, just your team.

Maybe there's a Quintana fit, maybe there isn't, but it shouldn't depend on the Cubs and Sox residing in the same city.

mimrem@dailyherald.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:32 pm 

pizza_Place: Bill's Pizza - Mundelein
Imrem is a crazy old meatball who hasn't had a relevant thought since the 80's...and his thoughts were shit back then, too.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:33 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
This is terrible. Ransom notes are written more smoothly than this.

Quote:
The policy is dumb considering that ex-wives share kids with ex-husbands

Definitely not working out his own issues here in any way at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:39 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
You do need to consider the relocation expenses in the trade equation.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:49 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
You do need to consider the relocation expenses in the trade equation.
YOU WOULD IF THE WHITE SOXs MOVED TO VEGA$?? LOL

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 3:14 pm 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
I haven't read a column by him in years, but he's always been a loon.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:29 am 

So wondering if the Daily Herald is going to have their White Sox beat reporter serve double duty all year and cover both baseball teams. They already neglected to replace the Bears guy and just used the Arkush tandem all year and copy Pro Football weekly content. They’re also copying Feder content.

I hope their realize their relevancy is declining by the day.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 9:54 am 

pizza_Place: giordanos
denisdman wrote:
So wondering if the Daily Herald is going to have their White Sox beat reporter serve double duty all year and cover both baseball teams. They already neglected to replace the Bears guy and just used the Arkush tandem all year and copy Pro Football weekly content. They’re also copying Feder content.

I hope their realize their relevancy is declining by the day.

From a cheap standpoint I would guess they have the beat person cover only whoever is in town.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:10 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
I am happy with my decision to subscribe to The Athletic.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:28 am 

Hatchetman wrote:

Do you get enough local day to day team news?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:32 am 

pizza_Place: Jimmy's Place
denisdman wrote:
Hatchetman wrote:

Do you get enough local day to day team news?

You don't get game coverage evey day - not sure why. Sometimes you do, sometimes you don't. I'm innerested in the Sox, Bulls, Bears, Fire, and some national news. between all that, there's enough to keep me checking a couple times/day. Easily worth the $40-$50/year.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 am 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: Vito & Nick's
I was always under the impression that 'dumbass' was one word.

There will never be an effective vaccine. I'll never get one anyway.