It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:51 pm 

more from the defender of all peoria reporters:

"Never bet against talent in radio and TV.

Whatever the format, the best in the business adapt and, given enough time and resources, make it work.

That’s why WSCR-AM 670 is smart to carve out a couple of midday hours in its weekday schedule for Laurence Holmes, who launches his new noon-2 p.m. weekday show Thursday, a prelude to the Cubs 3:05 p.m. season opener against the Rangers in Texas.

The challenge for Holmes, a 21-year Score veteran, will be to take what’s made him a nighttime standout over the last decade and adapt it to the expectations and demands of daytime sports radio.

Holmes’ show and podcasts have shown he knows how to get guests to open up, approach well-trod topics in new ways and hold an audience.

But not all the tools in his considerable arsenal will be of the same use.

The challenge for WSCR management will be to sit back and let him work it out, resisting the urge to make hasty, format tweaks or add a co-host (although that ultimately may not be a bad idea; a woman, perhaps).

Holmes is a shrewd guy. Less in need of a road map than a nudge, he should be able to work it out.

“We’re going to try to expand on the things we do well on the (nighttime) show,” Holmes said. “I really love interviewing people and I love bringing people in studio. Mitch (Rosen, the station’s operations director) and I have discussed that and that’s something that’s definitely on the table.

“We’re going to talk about the biggest stories that are going on in Chicago and we’re going to put a real emphasis on getting everyone involved as far as the teams in town,” Holmes said. “I want to get as many people inside the tent as possible — Cubs fans, White Sox fans, Bears fans, Hawks fans, Bulls fans. So whatever is hot, that’s what we’re going to go with.”

“Going with what’s hot” is a necessary mantra of daytime sports radio, and not always falling prey to that mentality is what made Holmes’ show a welcome listen after a long day.

But there’s a reason so much Chicago sports talk focuses on the Cubs and Bears, often at the expense of everything else, and it’s not just that WSCR is the radio flagship of the Cubs and Entercom Communications sister stations WBBM-AM 780 and WCFS-FM 105.9 are home to the Bears.

Those teams, for better or worse, are dominant in this town. The newspapers see it in their internet numbers, TV and radio stations in their ratings.

If and when the Bulls, Sox and Blackhawks become title contenders again, perhaps they’ll become hot and break through. Ditto for the local universities. (And everyone in local media will rejoice because it’s better to have too many hot topics rather than just a few.)

Until then, straying from those subjects during the much-scrutinized daylight hours is at a host’s peril.

One chip Holmes has in his favor is his proven success in podcasting with “The House of L,” and, with his move to daytime, he’ll be doing another podcast for radio.com that should enable him to deliver value to Entercom.

That platform is more accommodating than daytime radio to the long-form interviews at which Holmes excels. If he chooses, it also can be a radio laboratory for him and producer Tony Gill to fine-tune their broadcast approach.

“Tony’s 25, so his perspective’s at the younger end of the demo,” Holmes, 43, said. “He’s extremely valuable to making sure that our show stays relevant and stays hip.”

Adding Holmes goes beyond restoring a small measure of diversity to daytime lineup lost a year ago this month when Jason Goff was yanked out during the Score Spring Upheaval of 2018.

That bloodletting resulted in new shows for middays and afternoons, two hosts in new time slots, one host sent to the bullpen, another (Goff) walking away and two former employees rehired as co-hosts.

In carving out a couple of midday hours for Holmes, the Score’s daytime schedule of shows now sync with the rival program lineup on ESPN’s WMVP-AM 1000.

Dan Bernstein and Connor McKnight had their program reduced to three hours (9 a.m.-noon) and Dan McNeil and Danny Parkins were cut to four (2-6 p.m.).

This will require each set of co-hosts to tighten up its respective shows.

But the best make their situations work, no matter the challenge."

so heres another media blowjob from old phil, ok what about wmvps lack of black talent, you fuck

This is the most racist shit I can even imagine, what about julie, are you sexist phil? only a black host
can solve the diversity problem? To even think that is racist on its face? Well its ok phil, god knows
the amount of tribesmen in the sports media could fill the hold of the exxon valdez.

Phil, fuck you, you fat fuck. Your are so full of shit, try to get larrys cock out of your gaping maw in time for
your next meal.

later
sabu

p.s. hey costanza, I hate Phil Rosenthol as well :)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:57 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Malnati's
Phil was a guest on a show I once worked on. In studio, Saturday morning, and he brought enough food to feed a basketball team.

And are ever bite himself. I’m still impressed years later.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:09 pm 

pizza_Place: Tony Weed's
1039 Oliver Ave, Aurora
(630) 892-2772
Another chance for Leary to fail in a major Day part

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:12 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
21 years and he just got his big break? That is a long fucking time!! I think one of the new hosts up here in Milwaukee during the afternoon drive is only 23 years OLD.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:35 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
sabu wrote:
so heres another media blowjob from old phil, ok what about wmvps lack of black talent, you fuck

This is the most racist shit I can even imagine, what about julie, are you sexist phil? only a black host
can solve the diversity problem? To even think that is racist on its face? Well its ok phil, god knows
the amount of tribesmen in the sports media could fill the hold of the exxon valdez.

Phil, fuck you, you fat fuck. Your are so full of shit, try to get larrys cock out of your gaping maw in time for
your next meal.

later
sabu

Be all that as it may, a sports talk station in Chicago shouldn't be all white guys, at least half of whom grew up upper-middle-class, from morning to afternoon. I'm not sure to what extent the pride of Homewood-Flossmoor ameliorates that, but you have to admit on some level that the last lineup probably made a lot of people feel left out. I'm still a little surprised the Score hasn't cultivated any Hispanic talent.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 pm 

Laurence is 43???

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:50 pm 

Seacrest wrote:
Phil was a guest on a show I once worked on. In studio, Saturday morning, and he brought enough food to feed a basketball team.

And are ever bite himself. I’m still impressed years later.

What was it Boers called him, Lumpy?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:35 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
I don't understand the praise that LoHo gets for interviewing. He asks very leading questions : "How excited were you to get the call to the majors?"....what are they supposed to say...."I wasn't excited at all. I would've preferred to stay where I was" ????

I've texted LoHo during his shows about his questions. He gets very defensive about it. It's fun to rile him up. The guests on his shows are often his friends, too. It's easy to get them to "open up".

Plus, this article references the "proven success" of the House of L podcast. I need to see some documentation to support that statement. What measurement makes this podcast a success?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:42 am 
1000 CLUB

juicer92000 wrote:
I don't understand the praise that LoHo gets for interviewing. He asks very leading questions : "How excited were you to get the call to the majors?"....what are they supposed to say...."I wasn't excited at all. I would've preferred to stay where I was" ????

I've texted LoHo during his shows about his questions. He gets very defensive about it. It's fun to rile him up. The guests on his shows are often his friends, too. It's easy to get them to "open up".

Plus, this article references the "proven success" of the House of L podcast. I need to see some documentation to support that statement. What measurement makes this podcast a success?

I've heard a bit of his last evening show, and I thought he was leaving radio instead of doing the show (although a much different show according to him) at 12:00

I did hear his first show and instead of "The Pulse", I think it's called "The Rundown" where he provides the latest news with exciting audio.

His podcast, the 'House of L', again something brand new to me, has 250K downloads. According to him, that is an awesome accomplishment in podcasting. I'm guessing Julie probably has close to 250 even if she's promoting her Jordan investigation podcast from 25 years....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Regular Reader wrote:
Laurence is 43???

This was a surprise to me as well. I’m trying to think if I thought he was older nor younger though.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:55 am 

pizza_Place: Frozen
Larry is buddy, buddy with Les. But, I've heard him throw digs to Les's style of a phone call style of show being passè. Then he talks about what he's doing as being cutting edge. When I hear him rarely it's chatting with Herbie, super hero comic books, Inside jokes with producers, obscure sports media people sitting in, berating Cubs callers for their stupidity. It's like most score shows. Espn 1000 despite the ratings is a better choice for me.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:23 am 

juicer92000 wrote:
I don't understand the praise that LoHo gets for interviewing.

Consider the interviewing "prowess" of Mully, Goff, and most other Score personalities past and present.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:29 pm 

Is it really a "win" for diversity if a host moves to a different schedule?

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:41 pm 

Has the Score ever gone years without an actual high level athlete as a host on the station?

And no, playing long snapper or at Ball State, and Hub's career at Michigan don't qualify in my book.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:47 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
Has the Score ever gone years without an actual high level athlete as a host on the station?

And no, playing long snapper or at Ball State, and Hub's career at Michigan don't qualify in my book.

That doesn't really surprise me. Most big names that I would desire probably made so much dough they aren't interested in the job.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:56 pm 

pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

That doesn't really surprise me. Most big names that I would desire probably made so much dough they aren't interested in the job.

There have to be dozens of local guys who are 50 plus who'd love the job. Hell you have goofs like Ryan Dempster who really should realize that his shtick has grown old and less profitable. I don't even care which sport they played, I'm just tired of the incessant fantasy/gambling/alleged intramural all stars.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:57 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Regular Reader wrote:
pittmike wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

There have to be dozens of local guys who are 50 plus who'd love the job. Hell you have goofs like Ryan Dempster who really should realize that his shtick has grown old and less profitable. I don't even care which sport they played, I'm just tired of the incessant fantasy/gambling/alleged intramural all stars.

I think Alex Brown was on today but again they have to want a full time gig.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:

Not anymore. The Score has become really, smart, radio.

The Missing Link wrote:
For instance they were never taught that Columbus was a slave owner.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:04 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Curious Hair wrote:
sabu wrote:

your next meal.

later
sabu

Be all that as it may,

:lol:

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:09 pm 

WaitingforRuffcorn wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Not anymore. The Score has become really, smart, radio.

Too smart for listeners apparently.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:35 pm 

pizza_Place: Pizza Villa in DeKalb.
Why would an athlete even want to do this? I saw Dempster mentioned. It would take him 10 years of working a full time job at the score to make what he would have made in the last 2 weeks of his career. Unless you are out of money or want a normal working lifestyle why would you do it?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:39 pm 

Urlacher's missing neck wrote:
Why would an athlete even want to do this? I saw Dempster mentioned. It would take him 10 years of working a full time job at the score to make what he would have made in the last 2 weeks of his career. Unless you are out of money or want a normal working lifestyle why would you do it?

Waddle and many others do, but maybe just doing something outside your home is enough for some. Especially if you were a team sport athlete.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:52 pm 

I remember Bernstein called "Brain-Damaged Ex-Athlete and the Jewish Guy" a hallmark of middle-market sports radio.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:36 pm 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
Regular Reader wrote:

Joe Cain was the best host in Score history.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:49 pm 

Terry's Peeps wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Unintentionally funny. Or painful maybe.

I remember cringing listening to him late one night as I was trying to relax.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
How quickly we forget 20 year bear vet Pat Mannely

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:11 pm 

pizza_Place: What??
KDdidit wrote:
How quickly we forget 20 year bear vet Pat Mannely

The quicker the better

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 pm 

Regular Reader wrote:
Terry's Peeps wrote:
Regular Reader wrote:

Unintentionally funny. Or painful maybe.

I remember cringing listening to him late one night as I was trying to relax.

Begging for callers.

It was fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:08 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
It was terrible. I thought raymont Harris was okay back in the day but my memory is fuzzy on if he did full shows or if he was just a consistent guest.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:37 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
It was terrible. I thought raymont Harris was okay back in the day but my memory is fuzzy on if he did full shows or if he was just a consistent guest.

He was a constant guest, though he may have had a few shows. Pretty sure he guest hosted with Bernsie a couple times.