It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:56 pm 

Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
I was seriously considering getting Chet on the podcast. I love Chet.

But knowing now that he hates doctors discourages me.

I would love to contribute to that

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:48 am 

long time guy wrote:
Chet Coppock's Fur Coat wrote:
COS on MVP got me through my dissertation research. I was a 5-night a week listener back in 88-90. Listen to the first two hours in the office, go out and get dinner during the 9pm hour, then get work done during Larry King until the S&G rebroadcast started.

To me, Chet is a cautionary tale, which is why he's so interesting to follow.

I used to listen just about every night too. His show was good. He had his go to guys like Malone and Suhr. Pompeii was one of his guys and so was Boers. He also would use Boers a lot. Sugar for the Boxing. I remember Rick Majerus being one of his guys too. I used to love how he'd go in on local sportscasters too. Sudberry and Sid Garcia were frequent targets.

He's also have Dave McGinnis on a lot.

Who was that old LSU basketball coach who seemed to love Chet more than Chet loves himself? Dale Brown, I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:54 am 

FrankDrebin wrote:

Man, radio used to be so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwP0jCeU3I

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:43 pm 

good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:
COS on MVP got me through my dissertation research. I was a 5-night a week listener back in 88-90. Listen to the first two hours in the office, go out and get dinner during the 9pm hour, then get work done during Larry King until the S&G rebroadcast started.

I used to listen just about every night too. His show was good. He had his go to guys like Malone and Suhr. Pompeii was one of his guys and so was Boers. He also would use Boers a lot. Sugar for the Boxing. I remember Rick Majerus being one of his guys too. I used to love how he'd go in on local sportscasters too. Sudberry and Sid Garcia were frequent targets.

Who was that old LSU basketball coach who seemed to love Chet more than Chet loves himself? Dale Brown, I believe.

Yep it was Dale Brown and their was definitely a love fest between them two. Chet had me brainwashed into thinking Brown was one of the top five coaches in college basketball because he upset Indiana and Bobby Knight and made the Final Four.

All that was debunked in 90 when he absolutely fucked up one of the most talented basketball teams in my life. He was another of Chet's guys.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:55 pm 

long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep it was Dale Brown and there was definitely a love fest between them two. Chet had me brainwashed into thinking Brown was one of the top five coaches in college basketball because he upset Indiana and Bobby Knight and made the Final Four.

All that was debunked in 90 when he absolutely fucked up one of the most talented basketball teams in my life. He was another of Chet's guys.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:54 pm 

pizza_Place: John's
Chet posted a real good blog entry on his LinkedIn account(though everyone is 'more professional' on LinkedIn right?). Not sure why he's the consistent troll on FB/Twitter

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/took-me- ... et-coppock

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

pizza_Place: Aurelio's
long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Yep it was Dale Brown and their was definitely a love fest between them two. Chet had me brainwashed into thinking Brown was one of the top five coaches in college basketball because he upset Indiana and Bobby Knight and made the Final Four.

He didn't fuck Brandon up. Brandon was just as good in eighth grade as he would ever get. Some guys are precocious. You don't always just keep improving.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:23 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He didn't fuck Brandon up. Brandon was just as good in eighth grade as he would ever get. Some guys are precocious. You don't always just keep improving.

I'm not talking about Jaime Jorr but he fucked him up too. I played against Jaime Brandon when he was at King. I also saw him when was 8th grade. I also saw him play his First game at LSU. I was at Grambling at the time and we used to get all of LSU's games since it was in state. Brown first had him out of position at point. Then he played him at 3. Jaime was a 2 guard. He left the team and came home for awhile. Should have just went to Illinois but the probation stuff with the Illini caused him to leave

I'm talking about the 90 LSU team with Shaq Chris Jackson and Stanley Roberts. That team should have been a national championship contender at least but they had double digit losses. Brown mismanaged the hell out of that team.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 5:24 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
long time guy wrote:
I'm not talking about Jaime Jorr but he fucked him up too. I played against Jaime Brandon when he was at King. I also saw him when was 8th grade. I also saw him play his First game at LSU. I was at Grambling at the time and we used to get all of LSU's games since it was in state. Brown first had him out of position at point. Then he played him at 3. Jaime was a 2 guard. He left the team and came home for awhile.
Hey, at least Brown didn't play him at the 5 the way Lou Henson ruined Marcus Liberty. Liberty had no business being a post player, I remember seeing him play at the Proviso West tournament and think that he'd be a fantastic 3 in college.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:24 pm 

long time guy wrote:
I'm not talking about Jaime Jorr but he fucked him up too. I played against Jaime Brandon when he was at King. I also saw him when was 8th grade. I also saw him play his First game at LSU. I was at Grambling at the time and we used to get all of LSU's games since it was in state. Brown first had him out of position at point. Then he played him at 3. Jaime was a 2 guard. He left the team and came home for awhile.
Hey, at least Brown didn't play him at the 5 the way Lou Henson ruined Marcus Liberty. Liberty had no business being a post player, I remember seeing him play at the Proviso West tournament and think that he'd be a fantastic 3 in college.

He avg. 18 and 8 at the five the year he went pro playing the 5 but you're right. He always tells people that he should have went to Syracuse. That team was undersized so he had to play the 5.

I remember Doug Collins' famous quote about him. Doug Collins said that Liberty was better than some of the guys on his Bulls team even as he watched him play in high school.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:10 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

He avg. 18 and 8 at the five the year he went pro playing the 5 but you're right. He always tells people that he should have went to Syracuse. That team was undersized so he had to play the 5.

I remember Doug Collins' famous quote about him. Doug Collins said that Liberty was better than some of the guys on his Bulls team even as he watched him play in high school.

There are guys that are just great at a young age and then never really get much better. Liberty, Brandon, Imari Sawyer are guys like that. They were still damn good in college though, some of them even great. Then there are guys who develop more slowly like Bobby Simmons, Patrick Beverly, Tim Hardaway. I don't think you can always just blame or credit a coach. I think one thing is, when you're that much better than everyone else when you're so young, it takes a really special guy to keep driving himself forward.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:03 pm 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
good dolphin wrote:
FrankDrebin wrote:

Man, radio used to be so much fun

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUwP0jCeU3I

:cheers: :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There are guys that are just great at a young age and then never really get much better. Liberty, Brandon, Imari Sawyer are guys like that. They were still damn good in college though, some of them even great. Then there are guys who develop more slowly like Bobby Simmons, Patrick Beverly, Tim Hardaway. I don't think you can always just blame or credit a coach. I think one thing is, when you're that much better than everyone else when you're so young, it takes a really special guy to keep driving himself forward.

Common denominator for each of the guys you named was Sonny Cox. He was one the greatest stockpilers of talent that the High School game has ever seen. If you exclude prep schools no one did it better. He never developed players though. His guys always fizzled out at some point. Liberty and Brandon were viewed as no doubt guys. Liberty made it though he didn't last long. Jaime didn't. High School basketball in that era was unreal in Chicago. Competitive as hell.

Chet used to throw shots out to Cox on his show from time to time.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:47 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Whatever happened to Cox? I'm assuming he just got old and retired because he always seemed old when I saw him back in the hey day. But I've come to realize that what I thought was old back then wasn't all that old

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:59 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Sonny was an interesting dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGCG0YGgLQ

I think he retired soon after King became a magnet school.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:33 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

Common denominator for each of the guys you named was Sonny Cox. He was one the greatest stockpilers of talent that the High School game has ever seen. If you exclude prep schools no one did it better. He never developed players though. His guys always fizzled out at some point. Liberty and Brandon were viewed as no doubt guys. Liberty made it though he didn't last long. Jaime didn't. High School basketball in that era was unreal in Chicago. Competitive as hell.

There are other guys that didn't play for King that were as good in 8th grade as they would ever get. Ray McCoy. Walter Downing.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:46 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Sonny was an interesting dude...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDGCG0YGgLQ

I think he retired soon after King became a magnet school.

Yeah, just found a tribe article about his last year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:11 pm 

Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
Joe Orr Road Rod wrote:
long time guy wrote:
long time guy wrote:

There are other guys that didn't play for King that were as good in 8th grade as they would ever get. Ray McCoy. Walter Downing.

Jaime Brandon got better after 8th grade. So did Liberty. Sawyer didn't get much better after his Freshmen year.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:13 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Whatever happened to Cox? I'm assuming he just got old and retired because he always seemed old when I saw him back in the hey day. But I've come to realize that what I thought was old back then wasn't all that old

He retired from CPS around year 2000 or so. He was a counselor by vocation. He took one of those CPS golden parachute jobs in sports administration after he retired.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

long time guy wrote:
Jaime Brandon got better after 8th grade. So did Liberty. Sawyer didn't get much better after his Freshmen year.

They didn't get much better. They were near NBA quality at age 14.