It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Yes. I am.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:13 pm 

pizza_Place: Malnati's
good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
good dolphin wrote:
veganfan21 wrote:
I don't think so. I thought you're the Mac guy and here I am defending him from you? He's had two separate stints at 670, went out on the road at various times with him as he mentioned, is very friendly with Bernstein's partner of more than ten years, and so on. I don't think his knowledge is "superficial." I'd certainly take his opinions over what Spaulding feels she knows about someone she listens to on the radio.

He knows him better than Spaulding. Hurrah!

This isn't a situation of defense or assault. I'm not assaulting.

I'd say Dan Mc Neil has closer relationships with several of his listeners than he has with Bernstein. It's a professional relationship.

You're ignoring the context of the post of mine that you quoted originally. The post suggested Spaulding was silly for disagreeing with Mac's take on Bernstein, as if she or any listener would know more about Bernstein's personality than someone who has known him for years, whether Mac developed that knowledge via "professional relationship" or whatever. And you saying Mac has a closer relationship with this listeners than he does with Bernstein doesn't mean the listeners know Bernstein better than Mac.

I'm not ignoring the context. I'm saying neither has a sufficiently reliable level of knowledge. 2+2=5 is not more correct than 2+2=6.

I reference his relationship with some listeners not to show listeners have knowledge of Bernstein but to show that Mc Neil has far more developed relationships whose nexus is the Score than he does with Bernstein.

The years of working with Bernstein give him superior knowledge of things like his donative nature. I don't think a superficial knowledge lends any greater validity to his thoughts on Bernstein's psyche.

Not sure how you're able to distinguish between Mac having superior knowledge of things like Berstein's attitudes/activities on charity and then only superficial knowledge of his psyche. Regardless of how Mac may be closer to his listeners than he is to Berstein, he still knows more about Bernstein than anyone here. His opinion about Bernstein's psyche holds more weight than your opinion, or mine, or that of any other listener.

It's pretty easily distinguishable when he says that he knows Dan gives to charity but can only speculate as to something in his past that makes him who he is today.

I would have never guessed Bob from accounting would have a head stored in his refrigerator after the deep conversation we had at the Christmas party.

Except you know Bernstein and Mac's relationship is slightly deeper than one conversation at a Christmas party. :lol: What's your goal here? Kind of surprised that me saying Mac knows more about Bernstein than the board does is running into some opposition.

Kyrie Irving will never win anything as a team's alpha: check
T.rubisky is a bust: check
Ben Simmons is a liability: check
The Fields Cult is dumb: double check

2013 CSFMB ROY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou's, Pequod's
denisdman wrote:
leashyourkids wrote:
Bernstein is magnificent in person.

He earned a small degree of goodwill with me. However, it also confirmed he is 5'5" or thereabouts.

Don't delude yourself. Bernstein has no redeeming qualities if you aren't related to him.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:02 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
IMU wrote:
I said this almost 10 years ago and I will say it again; some of you are weirdly involved in the lives of people you listen to on the radio. Or in the cause of Mac, used to listen to years ago until he became irrelevant.

They aren't your friends and you don't know anything about them. Remotes are a sales tool. They aren't trying to invite you to their BBQ's.

Mac and I were cool when we in the same tax bracket. Now he is filing 1040EZ's like my kids. Sad. Shit he may even be getting the earned income tax credit.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:24 pm 

denisdman wrote:
IMU wrote:
I said this almost 10 years ago and I will say it again; some of you are weirdly involved in the lives of people you listen to on the radio. Or in the cause of Mac, used to listen to years ago until he became irrelevant.

They aren't your friends and you don't know anything about them. Remotes are a sales tool. They aren't trying to invite you to their BBQ's.

Mac and I were cool when we in the same tax bracket. Now he is filing 1040EZ's like my kids. Sad. Shit he may even be getting the earned income tax credit.

No one cares.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 3:54 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
IMU wrote:

No one cares.

About Mac sure they do

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:10 pm 
100000 CLUB

pizza_Place: 773-684-2222
denisdman wrote:
IMU wrote:

You may not be aware of this but this makes you sound like an asshole.

Blago: https://youtube.com/shorts/Lftdxd-YXt8?feature=share

"You can’t love your country only when you win." -President Biden

https://youtu.be/R6e4ruziZBI?si=1G4W1vbh0eGQuHfU

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:26 pm 

Nas, I know it, and I was joking. Sorry that didn't come through in my post.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:34 pm 

denisdman wrote:
What was the joke?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 4:42 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
What was the joke?

That I make $800k a year like Mac did and pay a 39% marginal rate, which seems to be my board personsa. Are you really that stupid to miss it or are you just the asshole assumes you are? My guess is both. Wait, not a guess. It's my lock of the century.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:19 pm 

denisdman wrote:
Boilermaker Rick wrote:
denisdman wrote:
What was the joke?

That I make $800k a year like Mac did and pay a 39% marginal rate, which seems to be my board personsa. Are you really that stupid to miss it or are you just the asshole assumes you are? My guess is both. Wait, not a guess. It's my lock of the century.

I assumed you were just using it to brag about your take home pay once again.

If you don't pay a 39% marginal tax rate then I apologize.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:30 pm 

Hah Rick. Nope, I am wrapped up in the AMT, which is the 28% flat rate. I was just joking and playing off my board persona.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:35 pm 

Maybe one day!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:01 pm 

Boilermaker Rick wrote:
Maybe one day!

Nah, I am on the back nine. I won't be in the top bracket in this lifetime. I'll have to start lying to just to keep up appearances.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:25 pm 
1000 CLUB

denisdman wrote:
Now he is filing 1040EZ's like my kids.

If he claims his son as a dependent he's not filing a 1040EZ.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:29 pm 

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
denisdman wrote:

Oh my god.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Chuck E Cheese
C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
denisdman wrote:

C_Howitt_Fealz to be burned by C_Howitt_Fealz!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:46 pm 

C_Howitt_Fealz wrote:
denisdman wrote:

His income is too low to need the deduction. Sad.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:52 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
veganfan21 wrote:
Spaulding wrote:
I think your assessment of Dan is generous. Even in a difficult year he lacks humility to the point I would question it being a veneer. I also question his sympathies and motives. Being right seems to be his driving force, he can always then point to being good. He seeks approval from authority and loves moral indignation. That attitude doesn't go over well in peer groups when you are young. It can be an even worse look at his age. He probably could not get out of his own way when he was younger.

While I'd agree his hostility and often contemptuous disposition isn't an accident it's possible it's a result of being awkward or not well liked in almost every phase and situation in life. Ironically, he doesn't use his best gift - his intelligence - for "good." He uses that to belittle people, especially if they don't agree with him. People want to follow him but he seems like a shitty leader. It makes me question his intelligence or he is fragile and everything about him is some sort of facade? I'd feel bad for him if he didn't come off like such a condescending, colossal, assbag most of the time.

Good Luck. I hope you find peace and joy, now and in the future.

I also disagree with Mac's assessment of Bernstein that he based on knowing him for several years.

:lol: :lol:

I'm catching up on this thread now, but that was my immediate reaction too.

To rock my soul

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:59 pm 
1000 CLUB

Mac FM wrote:
When Spiegs and I were rehearsing before takeoff in June of '09, Matty borrowed $300 from me to get his car fixed. You can fill in the blanks.

Ok. I'll fill in the blanks.

1. He didn't want to ask Bernstein for a loan. He knew Bernstein would say "No". He also knew Bernstein would ridicule him.

2. He could have asked Terry. Terry would have given him $300. Drinky knew that at the time. But drinky would have been embarrassed to ask his radio dad.

3. Didn't want to ask family or friends because of the embarrassment as well.

4. He knew Mac was just coming off an 800k salary at ESPN. So he knew Mac had it. Odd that he would ask somebody that he barely knew. As Mac said, he had just come back to the station. But better to ask a stranger then somebody you know. For the embarrassment factor as I've mentioned a few times. So I get it.

5. Christ, just put it on the credit card and maybe go a month without hitting the bars to pay it off if money is tight. It's $300. That's not something that you can't recover from even on a producer salary. Even if you have to pay the credit fees for a month or two. I'd rather do this then ask a co worker for a loan. But that's just me.

Last edited by Beardown on Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:00 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
$300 for abortion?

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 7:08 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
pittmike wrote:
$300 for abortion?

heeeee's a Drink and I'm drowning slowly
off the show and I'm headed nowhere

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Mac FM wrote:
I don't have to sell you a car to tell you what I really think of Bernstein. Let me save you the trip.

I believe his charitable efforts with pediatric oncology are both genuine and admirable. Raising money is no easy endeavor and I know for a fact Dan rolls up his sleeves and busts grapes for the cause.

His producers have been clear (not Shep -- yet) he wasn't generous to them. When Spiegs and I were rehearsing before takeoff in June of '09, Matty borrowed $300 from me to get his car fixed. You can fill in the blanks.

He can be charming. His bedside manner is top shelf when it needs to be.

His treatment of those who aren't his intellectual equal is deplorable.

I'd go musky fishing with him. He's not a pussy, physically, and I know he'd research the craft and understand you have to throw big baits with big tackle 'til you're sore and sometimes never see a fish, yet keep throwing. He enjoys the outdoors. I'm happiest when I'm on the water with a 9' St.Croix Big Nasty in my hands. It'd be fun throwing with him... to get him on "my turf." Some of my best friends (and fishermen) don't have the stomach for musky hunting. I bet he would.

It's my perception he doesn't have many friends. I don't think many trust him. The veneer, not the guy I know, comes off as arrogant, aloof and selfish.

There were several road trips where I enjoyed his company. A strip club in Phoenix in '96 (his first). San Diego in '98. On that trip, he and I were both stuck between choices on the menu. One of 'em was the same. We ordered three entrees and split the one we both wanted. I think it was Pacific swordfish, but don't hold me to it. Matt Fishman, my EP then, told us it was bad form to order an extra entree. Bernsie and I got blasted together in Salt Lake City with the Bulls in '97. We crashed Grobber's overnight show and assumed control.

Dan can suck the joy out of the dumbest shit. Even the strip club was like a sociology class assignment, a participant observer type of thing (Participant Observe was the name of my column sophomore year at Ball State, for the award-winning and nationally-respected Daily News.) I'd probably flick ash on him if we fished muskies and he started doing metrics on cast-to-follow ratio or fishing WAR. His passion for metrics is a turnoff to a lot of people who just wanna be a part of the party and use radio and sports for escapism, not to go to fucking school.

Other musings:

It bothers me his smartest-guy-in-the-room style has permeated the air staff there (with few exceptions). I don't fault him for that. If the others feel they have to pass the Bernstein dick-quotient litmus test, shame on them, not Dan. Have the balls to be yourself and not try to impress another host because you also are smarter and better than your audience. There isn't enough fraternity house feel at the Score for my tastes. But Bernsie is just one guy. The others who play follow the leader... well... that's on them.

It is a fact Bernstein was the only Score host who reached out to Danny Parkins and welcomed him to the air staff. I was not surprised when I learned this.

In Miami in '99, my wife, Jill, and Dan Jiggetts had to restrain me and keep me from going Doug Buffone on him when he was laughing about bad pub the station got in the Sun-Times. Dan was still a reporter or evening host with designs on moving up and several wondered if he planted the fucking story with Robert Feder. There never was evidence he did, but he was a suspect.

He's sympathetic to people with mental health issues. He understands it is a physical, neurological disease. He also has been willing to have conversations with me about autism and even share some stuff on the topic with me. I believed it to be sincere. He's a father, too.

I wonder if something happened to Dan in his childhood he hasn't come to grips with. Or maybe he wants to talk about it on the air but doesn't want to hurt somebody. Maybe he hates himself for something he did. His hostility and often contemptuous disposition isn't an accident. There is some deep-rooted hurt there. He loves Silence of the Lambs. Somebody should ask him "What is your worst memory of childhood... and don't lie, or I'll know."

Anything else?

I never had a single friend until I went to North Star Camp for the first time. It so happened that David Berkowitz, the most popular, most athletic kid at my school (to this day I've never seen a player with oilier hips and better vision in zone schemes) went to the same camp. Long story short, he pretended to be my friend before he and his cohorts committed the inimical act of taping me to a park bench and shoving a pipe up my ass. I never trusted again. There, I said it.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:43 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
DannyB wrote:
Mac FM wrote:
I don't have to sell you a car to tell you what I really think of Bernstein. Let me save you the trip.

I believe his charitable efforts with pediatric oncology are both genuine and admirable. Raising money is no easy endeavor and I know for a fact Dan rolls up his sleeves and busts grapes for the cause.

His producers have been clear (not Shep -- yet) he wasn't generous to them. When Spiegs and I were rehearsing before takeoff in June of '09, Matty borrowed $300 from me to get his car fixed. You can fill in the blanks.

I'd go musky fishing with him. He's not a pussy, physically, and I know he'd research the craft and understand you have to throw big baits with big tackle 'til you're sore and sometimes never see a fish, yet keep throwing. He enjoys the outdoors. I'm happiest when I'm on the water with a 9' St.Croix Big Nasty in my hands. It'd be fun throwing with him... to get him on "my turf." Some of my best friends (and fishermen) don't have the stomach for musky hunting. I bet he would.

It's my perception he doesn't have many friends. I don't think many trust him. The veneer, not the guy I know, comes off as arrogant, aloof and selfish.

There were several road trips where I enjoyed his company. A strip club in Phoenix in '96 (his first). San Diego in '98. On that trip, he and I were both stuck between choices on the menu. One of 'em was the same. We ordered three entrees and split the one we both wanted. I think it was Pacific swordfish, but don't hold me to it. Matt Fishman, my EP then, told us it was bad form to order an extra entree. Bernsie and I got blasted together in Salt Lake City with the Bulls in '97. We crashed Grobber's overnight show and assumed control.

Dan can suck the joy out of the dumbest shit. Even the strip club was like a sociology class assignment, a participant observer type of thing (Participant Observe was the name of my column sophomore year at Ball State, for the award-winning and nationally-respected Daily News.) I'd probably flick ash on him if we fished muskies and he started doing metrics on cast-to-follow ratio or fishing WAR. His passion for metrics is a turnoff to a lot of people who just wanna be a part of the party and use radio and sports for escapism, not to go to fucking school.

Other musings:

It bothers me his smartest-guy-in-the-room style has permeated the air staff there (with few exceptions). I don't fault him for that. If the others feel they have to pass the Bernstein dick-quotient litmus test, shame on them, not Dan. Have the balls to be yourself and not try to impress another host because you also are smarter and better than your audience. There isn't enough fraternity house feel at the Score for my tastes. But Bernsie is just one guy. The others who play follow the leader... well... that's on them.

It is a fact Bernstein was the only Score host who reached out to Danny Parkins and welcomed him to the air staff. I was not surprised when I learned this.

In Miami in '99, my wife, Jill, and Dan Jiggetts had to restrain me and keep me from going Doug Buffone on him when he was laughing about bad pub the station got in the Sun-Times. Dan was still a reporter or evening host with designs on moving up and several wondered if he planted the fucking story with Robert Feder. There never was evidence he did, but he was a suspect.

He's sympathetic to people with mental health issues. He understands it is a physical, neurological disease. He also has been willing to have conversations with me about autism and even share some stuff on the topic with me. I believed it to be sincere. He's a father, too.

I wonder if something happened to Dan in his childhood he hasn't come to grips with. Or maybe he wants to talk about it on the air but doesn't want to hurt somebody. Maybe he hates himself for something he did. His hostility and often contemptuous disposition isn't an accident. There is some deep-rooted hurt there. He loves Silence of the Lambs. Somebody should ask him "What is your worst memory of childhood... and don't lie, or I'll know."

Anything else?

I never had a single friend until I went to North Star Camp for the first time. It so happened that David Berkowitz, the most popular, most athletic kid at my school (to this day I've never seen a player with oilier hips and better vision in zone schemes) went to the same camp. Long story short, he pretended to be my friend before he and his cohorts committed the inimical act of taping me to a park bench and shoving a pipe up my ass. I never trusted again. There, I said it.

You went to school with The Son of Sam ?!?!?!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:47 pm 

:lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:40 am 

Caught this week's shows this morning. Very solid. Jurko sounded different on the podcast. I wouldn't have recognized his voice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:58 am 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
Mac just texted into Kaps show referencing the topic he was discussing. Not even listening to Spiegel's shitshow anymore ?

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:17 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Mac,

Why did WDRV replace McMurray, Voltmer, and their producer (whose name I can't remember) with Sherman and Tingle? The latter don't really do anything all that different than the former. Did they intend on replacing them with a new show after you left, or did they not decide that until later?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:19 am 

pizza_Place: Wha Happen?
DannyB wrote:
Mac FM wrote:

Other musings:

Anything else?

Joe Bore Ode?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 11:26 am 

badrogue17 wrote:
Mac just texted into Kaps show referencing the topic he was discussing. Not even listening to Spiegel's shitshow anymore ?

Yeah I caught that too. You can tell Mac is working the angles to get a gig. Smart move. He his having all his own friends on the podcast and starting to butter up to on air guys with pull, like Kap.

It is so good to hear Mac's voice.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
Oak Park Vandy with an appearance on today's show

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 236 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next