It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:49 pm 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
I've been looking for this on and off for years with no luck until last night. It was a one-hour documentary channel 50 did in the summer of '95 about Chicago radio personalities. I was very excited to watch it as a kid because TJ and Wild Bill, the B96 morning hosts who came in after Eddie and JoBo slandered Joan Esposito, were to be featured in it. I was very surprised that one of TJ and Wild Bill was a big fat guy with a mullet and that Karen Hand was big and old.

You'll also catch Steve Dahl when he was doing mornings with Bruce Wolf after AM 1000 backed down from all-sports, a bus ad for the Monsters of the Midday on 820, Kevin Matthews, Jimmy DeCastro appearing so coked up that you're just waiting for him to ask you to invest in a theme restaurant with him (in fairness, this just may be how Jimmy DeCastro has always been), a British chick doing middays at Q101, a billboard for Eddie Vrdolyak on the forgotten 1160 WJJD, Wendy Rice rifling through vinyl, and way more Mancow than any human can handle. The whole hour is smothered in his schlocky bellowing, though he did get a pretty good riff in where he said every TV segment on radio is just close-ups on VU needles and a hand potting something up or down.

For some reason there's only audio on the left channel, and it's a raw feed with test patterns and space for commercials and all that, but it's a good watch!

http://mediaburn.org/video/radio-faces-6/

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:20 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Trying to remember that British DJ's name. I saw her be the MC at a TMBG concert at the Vic in 94 or when my future wife dragged me there for one of her bands as a birthday gift to me. She did not make ch the voice if I remember but shit, it's been 23 years.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Samantha James, Drunk?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I asked my wife, she's younger than me and more sober so her memory is better, and she says yes. And she believes that yes, she was the MC at that show.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:03 pm 

I had to smile a little when they showed the Q101 billboard that read "THIS IS NOT FOR YOU" and then cut to Samantha James in the studio rockin' out to "Runaround" by Blues Traveler. Yeah, Dad, you just don't get Blues Traveler.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:01 am 

pizza_Place: Bojono's on Clarendon
Curious Hair wrote:
I had to smile a little when they showed the Q101 billboard that read "THIS IS NOT FOR YOU" and then cut to Samantha James in the studio rockin' out to "Runaround" by Blues Traveler. Yeah, Dad, you just don't get Blues Traveler.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:19 am 

Another highlight was Mancow doing a stunt where he pissed on and wiped his ass on a Kevin Matthews billboard (good radio there, 'Cow) followed by Kev casually calling him an asshole and "accidentally" referring to him as "Man Load or whatever."

There's some talk about Stern getting dropped from 1000 and moving to CKG (wasn't he carried on 1160 at some point before the Score moved there, too?), with Jimmy DeCastro explaining that Stern is very talented, but could never make it in Chicago because all his bits had been done here before. With no further on-camera explication of the subject, smash cut to Steve Dahl complaining that it's too much work to fuck a woman from behind.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:48 pm 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
What is it with the age 27 and radio jocks? Both Mancow and Samantha James claim to be 27 in this, and if Samantha James is 27 in this she's had some very hard years =P

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:04 pm 

I feel like people in the '90s looked older faster.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:28 pm 

pizza_Place: It's gone
is channel 50 still around? I remember when it was new. everyone was excited.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:59 pm 

Not for long, at least not as channel 50. Fox bought channel 50 from Fred Eychaner a few years ago (Eychaner would use the windfall to start a liberal talk radio station, lol) and then sold the spectrum allocation back to the FCC (Fox getting rich off the government, lol) so they in turn can sell it to telecoms. It'll probably continue as a subchannel of channel 32 since they scooped up the CW affiliation from WGN, but there won't really be a WPWR anymore.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:15 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
Started on part 1. I had no idea Eddie was that large.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 pm 

I like this Colonel Sanders lady in the back. I feel we are missing her story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Drag's
Curious Hair wrote:
Another highlight was Mancow doing a stunt where he pissed on and wiped his ass on a Kevin Matthews billboard (good radio there, 'Cow) followed by Kev casually calling him an asshole and "accidentally" referring to him as "Man Load or whatever."

There's some talk about Stern getting dropped from 1000 and moving to CKG (wasn't he carried on 1160 at some point before the Score moved there, too?), with Jimmy DeCastro explaining that Stern is very talented, but could never make it in Chicago because all his bits had been done here before. With no further on-camera explication of the subject, smash cut to Steve Dahl complaining that it's too much work to fuck a woman from behind.

He really is right. Particularly where there's a significant height differential, it's almost not worth the effort. Almost.

"Smiles with Nostrils"

"...no Hmong, go find some blacks"

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:08 pm 

pizza_Place: ....
DannyB wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

He really is right. Particularly where there's a significant height differential, it's almost not worth the effort. Almost.

It is only unenjoyable if the girl cannot - or will not - arch her back.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:34 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Curious Hair wrote:
Not for long, at least not as channel 50. Fox bought channel 50 from Fred Eychaner a few years ago (Eychaner would use the windfall to start a liberal talk radio station, lol) and then sold the spectrum allocation back to the FCC (Fox getting rich off the government, lol) so they in turn can sell it to telecoms. It'll probably continue as a subchannel of channel 32 since they scooped up the CW affiliation from WGN, but there won't really be a WPWR anymore.

Wasn’t Channel 50 originally Channel 60? Then they moved down your UHF dial?

I always remember watching music videos after school on 60 - except for Thriller - only MTV could get that.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:05 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I always remember watching music videos after school on 60 - except for Thriller - only MTV could get that.

MV3, formerly MV60?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JytZdv250g

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:43 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
Tad Queasy wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

MV3, formerly MV60?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JytZdv250g

:lol: :lol: Yeah, that was it. I remember it as MV60 also.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:44 pm 

BTW, I don't remember MV3.

But that's about the lamest ripoff I've heard.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:45 pm 

I know WPWR used to be channel 60 but that's before my time -- 60 was always Home Shopping Club as far back as I remember.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:31 pm 

pizza_Place: Dino's
More like radio feces.

-Hank Kingsley

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:04 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
anyone else remember Mancow TV on channel 50? More specifically, does anyone remember the hot chick they had that would do weather and traffic during that time? Reddish/Brunette hair. Always played a "I Believe It's Silicon" riff of "I Believe In Miracles" whenever she'd get her segment going?

she was good tv

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:26 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
BTW, I don't remember MV3.

But that's about the lamest ripoff I've heard.

Someone in the comments said when WPWR moved to channel 50 they changed the name.

SuperNintendoHjalmarsson wrote:
anyone else remember Mancow TV on channel 50? More specifically, does anyone remember the hot chick they had that would do weather and traffic during that time? Reddish/Brunette hair. Always played a "I Believe It's Silicon" riff of "I Believe In Miracles" whenever she'd get her segment going?

Was that within the last 5 years or so? I think Mike North and Jesse Jackson were frequent guests.

I remember Steve Dahl's show called It's Too Early: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuSdIbQ0bkQ

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:33 am 

Mancow's channel 50 show was fairly recent, right? I think it was after his failed mid-morning show at 890, where someone thought it would be a dynamite idea to pair him with Pat Cassidy. The show answered the "what if PantherPisla worked at WBBM?" question that absolutely no one asked.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:45 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Mancow's channel 50 show was fairly recent, right? I think it was after his failed mid-morning show at 890, where someone thought it would be a dynamite idea to pair him with Pat Cassidy. The show answered the "what if PantherPisla worked at WBBM?" question that absolutely no one asked.

No, there was some other iteration of it on the 90's or 00's. It was up against SNL and MAD TV.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:03 pm 

Oh, I was thinking of the one he did with North as some kind of sidekick. I don't remember an earlier one. I remember him doing spots on Fox & Friends circa 2000 where he was kind of a proto-Alex Jones screaming about black helicopters and stuff.

Does anyone else remember Brandmeier's short-lived Sunday night show on channel 5? Would have been around 2008, after the sports show where Score/1000 hosts took turns flirting with Paula Faris. It was weird.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:17 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Curious Hair wrote:
Does anyone else remember Brandmeier's short-lived Sunday night show on channel 5? Would have been around 2008, after the sports show where Score/1000 hosts took turns flirting with Paula Faris. It was weird.

Johnny B On The Loose

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/1991 ... nterprises

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:

CH: Was just about to post this....awful show. Never was a fan of his anyway, but the tv show was objectively piss-worthy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:43 pm 

It was one of those where you were like "is this a postmodern deconstruction of the tropes of late-night television?" before you realized no, just kinda crappy.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
Curious Hair wrote:
It was one of those where you were like "is this a postmodern deconstruction of the tropes of late-night television?" before you realized no, just kinda crappy.

20 years too late and just no quality content whatsoever