It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 107.1 CHIRP Radio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:40 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
https://chirpradio.org/broadcast

Don't know much about it but a girl, now a woman, that I went to high school with is heavily involved with this. She was in one of those old Spiegel pictures that was posted a few weeks ago.

So, shameless plug.

Post subject: Re: 107.1 CHIRP Radio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:42 pm 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Dr. Kenneth Noisewater wrote:

Don't know much about it but a girl, now a woman, that I went to high school with is heavily involved with this. She was in one of those old Spiegel pictures that was posted a few weeks ago.

So, shameless plug.

When you made her cum, did you feel like a sexist pig?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:47 pm 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
denisdman wrote:

So, shameless plug.

When you made her cum, did you feel like a sexist pig?

She would have nothing to do with me. We did party once in Chicago later in the early '90s.

Very cool person.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:56 pm 

pizza_Place: A few...
I listened to this online a few times.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 8:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Investigating
Old co-worker is a DJ. Listen as I can. Pledge drive just ended I believe.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:00 am 

pizza_Place: Charlie Fox's / Paisano's
'chirpradio' ... this isn't chiropractor radio, is it?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:02 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's

So, shameless plug.

The story with CHIRP is that WLUW had some kind of overhaul, either being taken over by WBEZ or by Loyola (which owned the station but let it run itself, kinda like how WDCB is nominally a "college" station but shuts the students out of it), and all the indie-radio creatures who'd been left to run the place got purged so that the station could either be a respectable public radio station or a meandering student radio station (again, I forget who did what when). Shawn Campbell, who I'm guessing is the classmate of yours and peer of Spiegel you're talking about, took all the people and started a new internet-only station, which finally got a real stick on Saturday. Good for her for hanging in there; community-based radio feels like the future in some respects.

I like CHIRP for the most part and love finding new music from there -- or even just new-to-me, someone played a song by '80s jangle band The Go-Betweens and I binged their stuff -- but the joint could stand some of that good old-fashioned Radio Discipline. The presentation gets a little too college for me at times, which shouldn't be happening, because they're not a college station. Shawn Campbell is a pro, though; I try to listen to her shift on Saturdays because I figure that'll be the closest to her vision for the station.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 6:22 am 

Haha, I put it on this morning and I've already heard new St. Vincent, new Beck, and "Jesus, Etc." They got that FM signal and already went mainstream!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 am 

pizza_Place: Warren Buffet of Cock
Curious Hair wrote:
Haha, I put it on this morning and I've already heard new St. Vincent, new Beck, and "Jesus, Etc." They got that FM signal and already went mainstream!

It looks like they post their playlist....

http://chirpradio.org/playlists

I know less than 25% of the artists. Oh well.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:57 am 

I'm lucky if I recognize 50%. I can't keep up with everything. I fully believe there's great music in every year, but that doesn't mean it's not amid a ton of crap. CHIRP has skewed more toward rotation than library, and sometimes I just don't have the patience to sit through new indie bands that don't already mean something to me. But when something unfamiliar stands out, that's always nice.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:30 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

So, shameless plug.

The story with CHIRP is that WLUW had some kind of overhaul, either being taken over by WBEZ or by Loyola (which owned the station but let it run itself, kinda like how WDCB is nominally a "college" station but shuts the students out of it), and all the indie-radio creatures who'd been left to run the place got purged so that the station could either be a respectable public radio station or a meandering student radio station (again, I forget who did what when). Shawn Campbell, who I'm guessing is the classmate of yours and peer of Spiegel you're talking about, took all the people and started a new internet-only station, which finally got a real stick on Saturday. Good for her for hanging in there; community-based radio feels like the future in some respects.

I like CHIRP for the most part and love finding new music from there -- or even just new-to-me, someone played a song by '80s jangle band The Go-Betweens and I binged their stuff -- but the joint could stand some of that good old-fashioned Radio Discipline. The presentation gets a little too college for me at times, which shouldn't be happening, because they're not a college station. Shawn Campbell is a pro, though; I try to listen to her shift on Saturdays because I figure that'll be the closest to her vision for the station.

Yes, I went to high school with Shawn. She's been at this for a long time.

I hope they have success.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:38 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
I was really hoping against hope it was DJ Megatron that was your connection. I streamed it a bit this morning. Going to have to try a different DJ.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:07 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

So, shameless plug.

Yes, I went to high school with Shawn. She's been at this for a long time.

I hope they have success.

You eat that?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:07 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Hmmm think they'd like me? Let's find out!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:23 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?

And hey drken whenever you wanna do the CFMB podcast I'm ready. sorry I had to scare you off b4 but grandpa needed me.

And yeah lol... I'm really goof's Stan. I got ethered. #FearAndLoathing in the Dempster corridor over here (I know I know, at least tall midget is doing a bit... =)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:17 pm 

They are playing a Joanna Newsom song that has been rambling on for fifteen minutes. Why is this being done to me? That's it, I'm calling the FCC.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:30 pm 

pizza_Place: Q's Hillside
Curious Hair wrote:
They are playing a Joanna Newsom song that has been rambling on for fifteen minutes. Why is this being done to me? That's it, I'm calling the FCC.

Obviously somebody had to take a shit and a smoke.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:55 pm 

The DJ eventually explained that the studio needed to be deep-cleaned, and that in response to the overwhelming negative feedback about how painful this music was, Pitchfork gave Ys a really good review. Just drop the needle on side 2 of DSOTM, then, geez, don't subject your dozens and dozens of listeners to fifteen minutes of wailing over harp and harpsichord like some Madrigal Bjork.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's 95th
Here's Larry King with a humorous, although I think apocryphal tale, about using another long song to cover for behavior with disastrous results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yD8PzFFNFU

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:25 am 

pizza_Place: 1. Aurelio's 2. Pizano's
Warren Newson wrote:
Here's Larry King with a humorous, although I think apocryphal tale, about using another long song to cover for behavior with disastrous results:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yD8PzFFNFU

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 9:28 pm 

Pleasantly surprised to see Richard Milne came out of retirement and is doing Tuesday mornings here now. I put the stream on and the first three minutes were just fumbling with the equipment. It ain't downtown, that's for sure. Good song selection, though. Nice to hear a familiar voice.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:50 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
Pleasantly surprised to see Richard Milne came out of retirement and is doing Tuesday mornings here now. I put the stream on and the first three minutes were just fumbling with the equipment. It ain't downtown, that's for sure. Good song selection, though. Nice to hear a familiar voice.

I suppose his wife must have died? I thought he left XRT because she had dementia and was nearing the end.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:07 am 

Yeah, I saw a story on the ancient media board that she passed away a few months ago. FTD is a terrible, terrible disease.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:28 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
Yeah, I saw a story on the ancient media board that she passed away a few months ago. FTD is a terrible, terrible disease.

I wouldn't wish something like that on anyone: even Hawaii You.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:50 pm 

Warren Newson wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I wouldn't wish something like that on anyone: even Hawaii You.

You don't need to wish it on Hawaii You. He already has it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:18 am 

Curious Hair wrote:

I know this is an old thread, but since it get bumped a re-read this...

Can you or someone explain to me the appeal of Beck?? I've never found his stuff to be anything special or interesting.

2. Proper response would be to ask an endless series of follow ups until the person regrets having spoken to you in the first place.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:52 am 

pizza_Place: Kaisers
BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Can you or someone explain to me the appeal of Beck?? I've never found his stuff to be anything special or interesting.

I picked up his album Morning Phase geez almost 10 years ago now. Yikes. It got quite a bit of critical acclaim and picked up a few Grammys, but I just enjoy it because I find it relaxing. He's been a bit all over the place with his music that I have listened to over the years. Not really my cup of tea overall but it's the one album I really enjoy.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:38 am 

BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

I've owned Sea Change for probably 15 years. Decent singer/songwriter stuff, but unremarkable. I think the appeal (at least for the critics) lies in his versatility, consider the difference between songs like "Where It's At," "Loser," and "Lost Cause."

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2024 10:27 pm 

BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Hey, just catching up here.

No. I can't explain the appeal of Beck. I don't get it either.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:29 pm 

Curious Hair wrote:
BigW72 wrote:
Curious Hair wrote:

Hey, just catching up here.

No. I can't explain the appeal of Beck. I don't get it either.

I'm glad we agree on this one :lol: :lol:

Discussed this with one of my friends who was pretty into him years ago....basically summarized it to "it's a lyric thing". That explains why I don't get it. I fully get the line "Where It's At. I got 2 turntables and a microphone" is kind of cool, but that doesn't necessarily make a song vibe with me. Apparently, he's got a lot of songs like that with lyrically clever takes. Meh.