It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Producers and Podcasts
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:34 pm 

pizza_Place: Art of Pizza
I think we’re up to something like three or four producers at the Score now who have started their own podcasts. Zpack has that soccer one and then I saw on Twitter the other day the guy Goff says is racist all the time (Shane Reardan) has one with a guy from the Bachelor. Both are kind of entertaining and both of them I’d rather hear than the majority of guys on the station. Think these kids are starting to see there’s no growth for them there. The kid who does Hit and Run with whiny JoeO is doing one on basketball too. Elis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:31 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
After they saw a bustout like Abattaclueless start a podcast they realized any chump can do it..It takes no money or talent or listeners.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:52 am 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
BBFOREVER wrote:
I think we’re up to something like three or four producers at the Score now who have started their own podcasts. Zpack has that soccer one and then I saw on Twitter the other day the guy Goff says is racist all the time (Shane Reardan) has one with a guy from the Bachelor. Both are kind of entertaining and both of them I’d rather hear than the majority of guys on the station. Think these kids are starting to see there’s no growth for them there. The kid who does Hit and Run with whiny JoeO is doing one on basketball too. Elis.

Who the fuck is listening to a soccer podcast?

I am not saying any of them do not have talent, but this is kinda like twitter and "journalists". Too saturated.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:56 am 

pizza_Place: Nowhere
Podcast for a narrow interest like soccer when you live in the states makes perfect sense. There are a few podcasts that I’ve subscribed to for niche interests.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:48 am 

pizza_Place: zzzzzz
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
Podcast for a narrow interest like soccer when you live in the states makes perfect sense. There are a few podcasts that I’ve subscribed to for niche interests.

This a great point. What is better- being the 500th NFL podcast or the 10th soccer podcast albeit to a much smaller audience. It appears that the Lance Armstrong cycling podcast is a tremendous success. Granted, it is an outstanding podcast and Armstrong is great on it. To my knowledge there are no other popular, American cycling podcasts.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:12 am 

DAC wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

This a great point. What is better- being the 500th NFL podcast or the 10th soccer podcast albeit to a much smaller audience. It appears that the Lance Armstrong cycling podcast is a tremendous success. Granted, it is an outstanding podcast and Armstrong is great on it. To my knowledge there are no other popular, American cycling podcasts.

I just joined a great speed walking podcast.

But really, do you need this much of something? I guess why I turn on sports talk radio is to hear if there is something I missed. It is somewhat diverse in the topics being covered, even if I do not like them. I tried listening to Blackhawk podcasts, and it was just too much hockey for me. I think for me, during the trade deadline, and maybe the playoff push and playoffs is when I am actually interested in a limited basis.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:42 am 

Well a monthly podcast on upland bird hunting is providing you with content that you aren't going to find on radio. Not even 5 minutes a month. How much Cricket or soccer are you actually able to get on any traditional radio station? Now I couldn't give two fucks about cricket but I know some that follow it over some weird heritage thing. Several years ago I almost got into Australian football as for some unknown reason PBS showed it at like 11pm on Saturday nights and having young kids keeping me up it was actually starting to grow on me. Thankfully, the teething stopped, the croup cases became less frequent and I just got old and had to sleep but if I wanted coverage of it (The fight songs were tremendous) I'm pretty sure a podcast would be my only choice.

There are days I spend 16 hours in a vehicle of some sort. Podcasts can be nice.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 9:54 am 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
There are days I spend 16 hours in a vehicle of some sort. Podcasts can be nice.

Probably makes more sense.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:00 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
In all honesty, podcasts with the addition of some WMVP have replaced WSCR in my listening repertoire. It is true that a lot of podcasts are a narrowed down focus, but I honestly like that. I would prefer listening to a niche topic I want to learn about over a random smattering of sports news, which I probably already know from Twitter or a quick browsing of headlines.

Especially when I can listen to podcasts at work since I'm at home on my PC all day

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:03 am 

pizza_Place: Pequods
As for Ostrowski, I know he did a podcast with Sam Panayotovich from WGN. I get the sense Joe probably hates Julie since Sam is pretty open about his own hatred of Julie. In fact I think he is the reason Julie got blocked from the WGN Sports twitter feed. They even had Barstool Big Cat on as a guest a few times.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:58 am 

Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:
As for Ostrowski, I know he did a podcast with Sam Panayotovich from WGN. I get the sense Joe probably hates Julie since Sam is pretty open about his own hatred of Julie. In fact I think he is the reason Julie got blocked from the WGN Sports twitter feed. They even had Barstool Big Cat on as a guest a few times.

He liked a few of my tweets congratulating him for taking Julie's full time spot(until Abbatacola fucked that up).

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:03 am 

pizza_Place: how many planets have a chicago?
Cashman wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

He liked a few of my tweets congratulating him for taking Julie's full time spot(until Abbatacola fucked that up).

It's button 34, right? =P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:20 pm 

As someone who, as more of a young person, one day WANTED to get in this industry, I’m glad the younger crop is starting to realize they can’t really go anywhere with the Score. I’ve listened to Shane and Zpack’s shows, and even though i don’t like soccer at all, zpack entertains me. And I’ve always liked listening to shane since it just seems like he’s not afraid of challenging these pompous hosts and other producers. As far as Elis goes, i probably won’t listen. His voice annoys the fuck out of me. But count me in for Shane and zpack. Give them a weekend show or something.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:33 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

What happened with Panayotovich and The Red Menace?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:41 pm 

Tad Queasy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

They used to work together when she was at The Game and he was at WGN. Maybe a run in there? But then again, you don’t really have to have a personal interaction with her to have hate haha.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
BBFOREVER wrote:
Tad Queasy wrote:
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

They used to work together when she was at The Game and he was at WGN. Maybe a run in there? But then again, you don’t really have to have a personal interaction with her to have hate haha.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that.

Panayotovich was part of a college football pregame show on The Game that was really good. I think Howard Griffith and Gerry DiNardo were part of it, too. It's been a few years and my memory might be off...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:10 pm 

pizza_Place: Pequod's
Ogie Oglethorpe wrote:

Chicken Dinner. I’m hosting it solo now. Bawk!

As for the other part, I plead the fifth.

Tad Queasy wrote:
Panayotovich was part of a college football pregame show on The Game that was really good. I think Howard Griffith and Gerry DiNardo were part of it, too. It's been a few years and my memory might be off...

Thanks man, long live 87.7!

Last edited by spshoot on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:45 pm 

Cashman wrote:
DAC wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

But really, do you need this much of something? I guess why I turn on sports talk radio is to hear if there is something I missed. It is somewhat diverse in the topics being covered, even if I do not like them. I tried listening to Blackhawk podcasts, and it was just too much hockey for me. I think for me, during the trade deadline, and maybe the playoff push and playoffs is when I am actually interested in a limited basis.

Fuck your sarcasm. Seriously though, it depends who is doing the podcast and what the topic is. There are some podcasts that I will listen to based entirely on the specific topic. For example, I will listen to some entry draft hockey podcasts in the summer from sources that I don't regularly listen to since I want that specific information. On the other hand, I listen to the Committed Indian podcasts regardless of the time of year since I find them funny and entertaining plus they are talking about the Hawks.

So in other words, I need the podcast to either be entertaining based on the personality of the hosts or it needs to be about a specific topic that I want to hear about. I have listened to a few of the other Hawks podcasts and they haven't done enough for me to be a weekly listen. Zawaski's has too many commercials and another one talked 20 minutes about buying shitty jerseys out the outlet mall. They are low on my rotation and most weeks I don't get to them.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:34 am 

DAC wrote:
Cashman wrote:
DAC wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Fuck your sarcasm. Seriously though, it depends who is doing the podcast and what the topic is. There are some podcasts that I will listen to based entirely on the specific topic. For example, I will listen to some entry draft hockey podcasts in the summer from sources that I don't regularly listen to since I want that specific information. On the other hand, I listen to the Committed Indian podcasts regardless of the time of year since I find them funny and entertaining plus they are talking about the Hawks.

So in other words, I need the podcast to either be entertaining based on the personality of the hosts or it needs to be about a specific topic that I want to hear about. I have listened to a few of the other Hawks podcasts and they haven't done enough for me to be a weekly listen. Zawaski's has too many commercials and another one talked 20 minutes about buying shitty jerseys out the outlet mall. They are low on my rotation and most weeks I don't get to them.

Zawaski's partner turned me off that one. I tried to listen to Puckin Hostile, but the few had too many "drops" within the 1st 10min or so. I really don't need to hear a buzzer or something dumb replayed over and over. I also seem to have some unconscious issue with the podcast not being live at the time of listening to it. Maybe podcasts are just not for me.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:47 am 

Cashman wrote:
Drunk Squirrel wrote:

Probably makes more sense.

Yeah.. Those aren't fun days and luckily few and far between but they happen. Variety becomes the spice of life and music doesn't keep me awake very well. When you can pound out a 5 hour hard core history in one sitting and think about putting on part two you know its been a damn long day.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:55 am 

Location: Bohemian Club Annual World Power Consolidation Conference & Golf Outing
pizza_Place: World Fluoridation Conspiracy Pizza & WINGS!
Drunk Squirrel wrote:
When you can pound out a 5 hour hard core history in one sitting and think about putting on part two you know its been a damn long day.

I love those but you have to concentrate so much to remember what is happening it's damn near like studying.

I have a hard time listening to him when I'm driving.

If you are a Game of Thrones fan, there's a comedian that does a legit Hardcore Game of Thrones podcast with a spot-on impersonation, it's uncanny. And it is an actual telling of the Game of Thrones world. It's quite a thing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:01 am 

A lot of the stuff he does I kind of already know for the most part. I'm not sure I learned much in the Celtic Genocide one for example as I had done a Classical history class back in the day. It probably filled in a little bit here and there but it seemed to be more of a refreshing of my memory thing. I was a history nerd at one time but have let it fall out of the front of my mind as more pressing things have taken its place, like where the hell I put my keys.

I might have to find that. I actually enjoy his presentation a lot, tangents and odd analogies included. I know some find it tedious but whatever.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:38 pm 

Drunk Squirrel wrote:
A lot of the stuff he does I kind of already know for the most part. I'm not sure I learned much in the Celtic Genocide one for example as I had done a Classical history class back in the day. It probably filled in a little bit here and there but it seemed to be more of a refreshing of my memory thing. I was a history nerd at one time but have let it fall out of the front of my mind as more pressing things have taken its place, like where the hell I put my keys.

I might have to find that. I actually enjoy his presentation a lot, tangents and odd analogies included. I know some find it tedious but whatever.

I love Hardcore History. I have an old iPod that I keep just because it has the entire Ghosts of the Ostfront series on it. I listen to that and the WWI podcast about once a year since I enjoy them so much. Maybe not the entire WWI 'cast but some it.