It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:26 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:22 pm 

pizza_Place: Giordano's
Gotta say I agree with Tommy that it's probably not a good idea to have multi-national corporations operating as the de facto thought police, and though I despise virtue signalling, it is generally more bad than good to be firing people for what they say on their own time in their "own voice".

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:26 pm 
1000 CLUB

Juice's Lecture Notes wrote:
Gotta say I agree with Tommy that it's probably not a good idea to have multi-national corporations operating as the de facto thought police, and though I despise virtue signalling, it is generally more bad than good to be firing people for what they say on their own time in their "own voice".

Where does it end, though? Who decides? The KKK is a legal organization. If somebody at ESPN supported the KKK, is that fine? Should they not be fired?

Hell, it's not against the law to be racist either. Could you tweet that you hate black people and keep your job?

If these tweets were "on their own time and in their voice" I guess you would be cool with it.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:09 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Sorry. Too bad, so sad. We have learned repeatedly recently the first amendment does not protect you from being fired.

It seems that some young folks find that fact uncomfortable when they are on a certain side of the aisle.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:50 pm 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Illinois is an at-will employment state. There's no protected class being violated here. I don't really see the problem with it, especially when they've been told what the rules are ahead of time.

If he absolutely had to do some anti-Trump tweets, make a fake account and post it under there. But, that account probably wouldn't have as many subscribers because it is some random guy, not H-list celebrity Ben Finfer from ESPN1000, and because people are only following you because you work at ESPN is probably why ESPN doesn't want people making political statements from their accounts.

Disclaimer: I am generally against political tweeters/facebookers/instagrammers etc. as I find the forum a complete waste of time to try to discuss anything political.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:57 pm 

pizza_Place: Lou Malnatis
He should’ve just came here and started an eventual 500 plus page thread on how awful Trump is and how much he hates him . #catharsis

It aint the six minutes. Its what happens in those six minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:17 pm 
Is there any way we could get ESPN HR to take over at DCFS?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:23 pm 

Baby McNown wrote:
Is there any way we could get ESPN HR to take over at DCFS?

:lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
pittmike wrote:
Sorry. Too bad, so sad. We have learned repeatedly recently the first amendment does not protect you from being fired.

It seems that some young folks find that fact uncomfortable when they are on a certain side of the aisle.

I agree, Mike, but this is not a first amendment issue. This is about being able to speak your mind in areas that don't involve the law. Corporations want to do our thinking for us. That's a phenomenally bad idea.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:54 pm 
1000 CLUB

newper wrote:
Illinois is an at-will employment state. There's no protected class being violated here. I don't really see the problem with it, especially when they've been told what the rules are ahead of time.

If he absolutely had to do some anti-Trump tweets, make a fake account and post it under there. But, that account probably wouldn't have as many subscribers because it is some random guy, not H-list celebrity Ben Finfer from ESPN1000, and because people are only following you because you work at ESPN is probably why ESPN doesn't want people making political statements from their accounts.

Disclaimer: I am generally against political tweeters/facebookers/instagrammers etc. as I find the forum a complete waste of time to try to discuss anything political.

Right. Whatever followers Finfer has is because he's able to plug his twitter on ESPN radio. So while they say it's not related to their work, it absolutely is. Finfer doesn't have 2% of his followers if he's an insurance sales guy.

Wouldn't these ESPNers be calling for firings if other media people were praising Trump or praising the KKK? Which isn't against the law. It's their right to do so.

But a company can't pick political sides. So they ban all of it. I get it. Disney had to make this move.

Sometimes you have to decide if employment is more important then tweeting. Finfer didn't think so. That tweet against Trump was more important to him. What did that tweet get Finfer? Nothing. Except being fired.

There are more important/prominent people than Finfer fighting Trump. They've got the cause, Ben. You don't matter. You're a spit in the ocean. That's the way he should have looked at it.

Like I said, now he can tweet all he wants.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:56 pm 

pizza_Place: Vito and Nick's
newper wrote:

Yeah, not much discussion or the adopting of perspectives seems to take place.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:58 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
doug - evergreen park wrote:
https://www.facebook.com/bfinfer/posts/10155891191009857

So I’m not sure how many people, if any, will care about this, but I'm posting anyway… I’m officially done at ESPN.

From what I understand this is the result of two things:

A) Apparently the company had decided not to renew my contract for 2018.
B) Last week on Twitter I used not-so-subtle terms to criticize President Trump for being racist, which is a violation of ESPN’s social media guidelines.

It’s possible A would have been true even without B, but B obviously didn’t help my cause. And at the very least it made my dismissal effective immediately. Some troll running a Twitter account for a pro-Trump AM station in town reported me to ESPN bosses. But my tweet was a violation of the guidelines and I posted it, so I can’t really blame someone else. I have deleted it because my (now former) boss, who I respect signigicantly more than the president, asked me to.

Regardless, I’m out.

On one hand, I’m okay with this because I don’t think I had much of a future there anyway. It was clear I wasn’t going anywhere at ESPN and I’ve been exploring other options for a while now. At some point soon I was going to have to move on.

On the other hand, I’m bummed because I enjoyed working there for the past three years (not to mention the nine years at the start of my career). Most of my co-workers are guys I have known for a long time and are friends. They’re also talented and I’ll miss working with them. It’s a great station and I'll continue to be a fan of what they do.

I have no idea what's next. Not sure if I’ll even stay in sports radio or the media business. I’d like to, but it kind of depends on what opportunities exist.

In the meantime you can still find me on social media and hopefully some other places soon.

For now I just need to clear my head and not think about anything ESPN-related. So I’m off to see the new Star Wars movie, masterfully produced by Lucasfilm and its parent company The Walt Disn— son of a bitch.

Have a great weekend and happy holidays.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:17 pm 

Beardown wrote:

Where does it end, though? Who decides? The KKK is a legal organization. If somebody at ESPN supported the KKK, is that fine? Should they not be fired?

Hell, it's not against the law to be racist either. Could you tweet that you hate black people and keep your job?

If these tweets were "on their own time and in their voice" I guess you would be cool with it.

I don't know where the line is, or whether there is a line to be drawn, I just don't.

I guess we should start by considering what tangible good is being done by firing people who say, do, or think disagreeable things, as well as the harm created by allowing those people to maintain their employment. I haven't actually seen anyone contemplate what societal good is being served by immediately ousting these people from gainful employment. It seems people thing it just must be Good because losing your job is Bad and those people are Bad and Bad things happening to Bad people is Good. It's entirely superficial punishment.

Because I could take your "where does it stop" argument a way you hadn't considered: What about flat-earthers, climate deniers, holocaust deniers, 9/11 truthers, anti-vaxxers and the like? Why should they keep their job while thinking such awful, dumb, or wrong things? And who decides that being a racist or sexist is worse or better than not vaccinating your children or denying climate change?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:23 pm 

pizza_Place: Home Run Inn
newper wrote:

He could also do a protected Twitter account where friends and family can only see his tweets.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:24 pm 
1000 CLUB

Beardown wrote:

I don't know where the line is, or whether there is a line to be drawn, I just don't.

I guess we should start by considering what tangible good is being done by firing people who say, do, or think disagreeable things, as well as the harm created by allowing those people to maintain their employment. I haven't actually seen anyone contemplate what societal good is being served by immediately ousting these people from gainful employment. It seems people thing it just must be Good because losing your job is Bad and those people are Bad and Bad things happening to Bad people is Good. It's entirely superficial punishment.

Because I could take your "where does it stop" argument a way you hadn't considered: What about flat-earthers, climate deniers, holocaust deniers, 9/11 truthers, anti-vaxxers and the like? Why should they keep their job while thinking such awful, dumb, or wrong things? And who decides that being in the KKK is worse or better than not vaccinating your children or denying climate change?

Right. Then you have the head of Disney deciding what's right or wrong. So you ban it all. I get it from their perspective.

Because then there is a lawsuit. The guy who tweets "There should be more gun laws" isn't fired. And the guy that tweets "Donald Trump is a dumb ass" gets fired.

In a court, there is no difference. It's all political opinions on their personal twitter account.

Disney now owns everything. Multi Billion dollar corporation. They're just trying to protect themselves. Makes sense for their interests. Don't like it, don't work for them.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:16 am 
1000 CLUB

Finfer is different then the others working at ESPN 1000. No wife. No kids.

Everybody else at the station, including the lowly producers, have to think about their family's before sending out a tweet that would risk their job.

It's easier to go against company policy when you don't have to worry about the wife and kids.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:27 am 

pizza_Place: Rosati's
Beardown wrote:

I don’t know where the line is, or whether there is a line to be drawn, I just don't.

Because I could take your "where does it stop" argument a way you hadn't considered: What about flat-earthers, climate deniers, holocaust deniers, 9/11 truthers, anti-vaxxers and the like? Why should they keep their job while thinking such awful, dumb, or wrong things? And who decides that being a racist or sexist is worse or better than not vaccinating your children or denying climate change?

The line is very simply drawn by most companies upfront in new hire orientation and the employee handbook: in the modern social media atmosphere, don’t put anything on social media that will bite you (and possibly, in turn, us) in the ass, or risk disciplinary action up to, and including, termination. Pure and simple.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:34 am 

pizza_Place: Oh I'm sorry but, there's no one on the line
Beardown wrote:

Everybody else at the station, including the lowly producers, have to think about their family's before sending out a tweet that would risk their job.

It's easier to go against company policy when you don't have to worry about the wife and kids.

That is for sure. I think there's also a degree of being comfortable in what your doing, but not feeling like there's a path forward to enjoying what you are doing... you don't really know what to do to change that, and this might be helpful in him re-evaluating the career path. Local broadcast radio is (and has been) dying very, very quickly. It is not a place to be building a career, especially as a (usually) non-air talent. I have nothing for or against the guy, but having read his good-bye post, I think he is starting to realize that even though you might really, really want to do something, you might have to do something else to make the living that you want. And that happens to a lot of people, but in the last ten or so years, it is really hitting radio people. There's just no money there anymore because stations can put a syndicated show on and they only lose a tenth of a rating point. Advertisers are dropping off to the point that they have to do coordinated PSAs about how radio advertising makes money. If you are a Mully, Hanley, Bernstein -- you ride this out. If you are a Parkins -- you probably are making enough to keep doing it, but you are probably a little worried. If you are a Joe O or Herb Lawrence, I'd be much more worried -- Herb has seen what's out there, and it doesn't look good.

I really am a little annoyed at the Illinois Broadcasting Center shills (whatever the name is now) -- I personally have a moral issue with encouraging people to get into this business, especially the on-air talent. Yet they are getting paid to teach the classes, so they need students.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:53 am 

newper wrote:
Beardown wrote:

That is for sure. I think there's also a degree of being comfortable in what your doing, but not feeling like there's a path forward to enjoying what you are doing... you don't really know what to do to change that, and this might be helpful in him re-evaluating the career path. Local broadcast radio is (and has been) dying very, very quickly. It is not a place to be building a career, especially as a (usually) non-air talent. I have nothing for or against the guy, but having read his good-bye post, I think he is starting to realize that even though you might really, really want to do something, you might have to do something else to make the living that you want. And that happens to a lot of people, but in the last ten or so years, it is really hitting radio people. There's just no money there anymore because stations can put a syndicated show on and they only lose a tenth of a rating point. Advertisers are dropping off to the point that they have to do coordinated PSAs about how radio advertising makes money. If you are a Mully, Hanley, Bernstein -- you ride this out. If you are a Parkins -- you probably are making enough to keep doing it, but you are probably a little worried. If you are a Joe O or Herb Lawrence, I'd be much more worried -- Herb has seen what's out there, and it doesn't look good.

I really am a little annoyed at the Illinois Broadcasting Center shills (whatever the name is now) -- I personally have a moral issue with encouraging people to get into this business, especially the on-air talent. Yet they are getting paid to teach the classes, so they need students.

I agree with all of this. I think a lot of these guys are 1 dimensional. He kinda falls into the Abbattacola mold(not banging married ladies). These guys typically have 1 sport in their wheelhouse. From anything I have heard on the radio, it was Cubs Cubs Cubs.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:38 am 

pizza_Place: ....
Trump is not racist. He just doesn't act the way people want him to. People can't stand that!

Racist people try to bend his will, and he resists.

I apologize to The Hawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:27 am 

pittmike wrote:

Young folks?

Finfer is probably 40.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:08 am 
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Young folks?

Finfer is probably 40.

Mike this did not seem to be the feelings on the subject when Schilling got shitcanned of people in your tribe. (Honestly don't remember your take so I won't single you out). Why the sudden change?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:12 am 

Isn’t that pretty much the epitome of virtue-signaling ?

Ben Finfer (@BenFinfer)
12/16/17, 10:01 AM
It’s not ideal to lose a job and have it written about in a major metropolitan newspaper. But there’s now official record of me being anti-Trump and I’m cool with that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:13 am 

Location: Pearl Harbor, Waukesha, and other things that make no sense
pizza_Place: Lou Malnati's
HERE LIES BEN FINFER
HE DIDN'T LIKE DONALD TRUMP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:21 am 

Curious Hair wrote:
HERE LIES BEN FINFER

Why not add Kale as long long as we’re being rebellious .

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:28 am 

pizza_Place: Lina's Pizza
badrogue17 wrote:

Ben Finfer (@BenFinfer)
It’s not ideal to lose a job and have it written about in a major metropolitan newspaper. But there’s now official record of me being anti-Trump and I’m cool with that.

Twitter is an official record?

BRB...

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:43 am 
Terry's Peeps wrote:
badrogue17 wrote:

Ben Finfer (@BenFinfer)

Twitter is an official record?

BRB...

Only for anti Trump tweets. The stuff Trump himself puts out we, or Bob Mueller specifically, should not consider official.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:45 am 

pizza_Place: nick n vito's
Curious Hair wrote:
HERE LIES BEN FINFER

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 11:46 am 

pizza_Place: Palermo's
badrogue17 wrote:

Ben Finfer (@BenFinfer)

Regarding the former, he should be used to it by now.

Regarding the latter -- we're all very impressed, Ben.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:32 pm 

pizza_Place: giordanos
Baby McNown wrote:
Douchebag wrote:
pittmike wrote:

Young folks?

Finfer is probably 40.

Mike this did not seem to be the feelings on the subject when Schilling got shitcanned of people in your tribe. (Honestly don't remember your take so I won't single you out). Why the sudden change?

I don’t care about Shilling. I am saying Many cheered things like that though. Likely Finfer among them said he was not protected to say stuff.

-Ronald Reagan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:46 pm 

You can make the standard warranting dismissal for speech outside of work capacity anything you want, but when that standard is set, it needs to be adhered to.

Schilling was fired for saying bigoted things in a political context, so he would be fired regardless of whether the standard was making bigoted or just political statements.

The problem is, the same standard that got Schilling fired was not equally applied to other ESPN personalities that have said bigoted things in a political context. If the standard is, or was, "saying bigoted things", then Kate Fagan, Sarah Spain, Jemele Hill and the rest of the "ugh, white men" clique among the ESPN rank and file should have been shown the door along with Schilling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 121 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next